Author Topic: Ex-Speaker Hastert reportedly paying to conceal sexual misconduct  (Read 8339 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
"The wheels of justice turn slowly, but grind exceedingly fine."

Ex-Speaker Hastert reportedly paying to conceal sexual misconduct
Published May 29, 2015
FoxNews.com

Ex-House Speaker Dennis Hastert reportedly had been paying someone to cover up sexual misconduct before he was indicted for allegedly concealing those payments.

The Los Angeles Times reported Friday that the bank-related charges in the indictment pertain to payments he was making to a male individual from his past -- dating back to his time as high school teacher and wrestling coach in Yorkville, Ill., according to one official.

"It goes back a long way, back to then," the official reportedly said. On why the former Republican House speaker was making the payment, the source said it was to cover up his past relationship with the man.

"It was sex,'' the source told the newspaper. Another official reportedly said it involved sexual abuse.

The federal indictment said only that Hastert had been hiding payments he made in order to compensate for and conceal "prior misconduct."

It said he agreed to provide $3.5 million to someone described only as "Individual A." It did not elaborate on the alleged misconduct or indicate if Individual A is a man or a woman. However, it said the person has known Hastert most of the individual's life. It also said the person has been a resident of Yorkville, Ill., where Hastert was a high school teacher and wrestling coach from 1965 to 1981.

The 73-year-old Illinois Republican is specifically accused of structuring the withdrawal of $925,000 in cash in order to evade the requirement that banks report cash transactions over $10,000. He is also accused of lying to the FBI about the withdrawals.

Hastert was indicted on two counts, both carrying a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/05/29/ex-speaker-hastert-reportedly-paying-to-conceal-sexual-misconduct/

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Ex-Speaker Hastert reportedly paying to conceal sexual misconduct
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 01:25:08 PM »
I believe the trending response to an illicit affair for a decade was determined in 2012 to be "9.9.9."

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 01:54:43 PM »
The self-proclaimed Republican talking stink about Republicans again.  You are unquestionably a Republican in Name Only (depending on the day). 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 03:03:11 PM »
The self-proclaimed Republican talking stink about Republicans again.  You are unquestionably a Republican in Name Only (depending on the day). 

Cruz 2016.   I hate libs and I hate RINOs, and guess what... Hastert is definitely not a conservative here.  Whoring around and committing crimes to cover it?   That's not conservatives.   SO yes, attacking him is attacking RINO which is cool.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 03:10:49 PM »
Cruz 2016.   I hate libs and I hate RINOs, and guess what... Hastert is definitely not a conservative here.  Whoring around and committing crimes to cover it?   That's not conservatives.   SO yes, attacking him is attacking RINO which is cool.

::)  You are a Republican in Name Only.  In practice, you are a flaming liberal.  At least on this board. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 03:11:39 PM »

great point Bum

A real Repub would never criticize Hastert for lying to the FBI and trying to hide his payouts to hide his alleged sexual misconduct with a man (or perhaps it was a child) while he was a teacher and wrestling coach

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 04:03:20 PM »
great point Bum

A real Repub would never criticize Hastert for lying to the FBI and trying to hide his payouts to hide his alleged sexual misconduct with a man (or perhaps it was a child) while he was a teacher and wrestling coach

I hope it wasn't a child.  That'd be disgusting. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 07:46:31 PM »
Is this the guy?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 07:50:38 PM »
Interesting take. 

Dershowitz on Hastert Indictment: 'This Case Just Smells'
Friday, 29 May 2015
By Cathy Burke

A federal indictment of former House Speaker Dennis Hastert for forking over $3.5million in hush money, reportedly to keep someone quiet about past sexual misconduct, "puts the government in the position of essentially being part of the blackmail," Alan Dershowitz tells Newsmax TV.

In an interview with "Newsmax Prime" host J.D. Hayworth, the noted lawyer and author of "Terror Tunnels: The Case For Israel's Just War Against Hamas," calls the former Republican lawmaker "a victim if the story is true of extortion."

"This case just smells," Dershowitz said. "I'm shocked that a prosecutor would allow this kind of case to be brought knowing that it will reveal the secrets, that it would open doors up to things that are alleged or have occurred almost half a century ago. … This is not a case that should've been brought in federal court"

Dershowitz noted the federal "structuring statutes" Hastert is accused of breaking "were intended to prevent money laundering, to prevent drug dealing, to prevent income tax evasion. "

"Paying hush money is not illegal," Dershowitz said. "He didn't want anybody to know about it, so he took money out in small amounts and the banks wouldn't report it. That is not within the heartland of what this statute was intended to cover – and then to have an indictment which essentially reveals that which Hastert was trying to conceal puts the government in the position of essentially being part of the blackmail – and it's just not right."

Dershowitz called the case "an abusive prosecutorial discretion" for using the structuring statute "to try to go after somebody who was trying to solve a rather personal problem...."

And, he predicted, the feds won't win this one.

"When they go after politicians, whether it be Tom DeLay or … several other of these high-profile cases, they lose them all," he said. "I suspect they're going to lose this one."

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/Dershowitz-Hastert-indictment-Newsmax-TV/2015/05/29/id/647617/#ixzz3baPmZnuy

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 05:34:38 AM »
"When they go after politicians, whether it be Tom DeLay or … several other of these high-profile cases, they lose them all," he said. "I suspect they're going to lose this one."

we have found the one man on earth that believes poor tom delay did nothing wrong  ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 08:25:29 AM »
Interesting take. 

Dershowitz on Hastert Indictment: 'This Case Just Smells'
Friday, 29 May 2015
By Cathy Burke

A federal indictment of former House Speaker Dennis Hastert for forking over $3.5million in hush money, reportedly to keep someone quiet about past sexual misconduct, "puts the government in the position of essentially being part of the blackmail," Alan Dershowitz tells Newsmax TV.

In an interview with "Newsmax Prime" host J.D. Hayworth, the noted lawyer and author of "Terror Tunnels: The Case For Israel's Just War Against Hamas," calls the former Republican lawmaker "a victim if the story is true of extortion."

"This case just smells," Dershowitz said. "I'm shocked that a prosecutor would allow this kind of case to be brought knowing that it will reveal the secrets, that it would open doors up to things that are alleged or have occurred almost half a century ago. … This is not a case that should've been brought in federal court"

Dershowitz noted the federal "structuring statutes" Hastert is accused of breaking "were intended to prevent money laundering, to prevent drug dealing, to prevent income tax evasion. "

"Paying hush money is not illegal," Dershowitz said. "He didn't want anybody to know about it, so he took money out in small amounts and the banks wouldn't repor
And, he predicted, the feds won't win this one.

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/Dershowitz-Hastert-indictment-Newsmax-TV/2015/05/29/id/647617/#ixzz3baPmZnuy

Anything to defend this pedo.   Disgusting.  I hope the pundits that screamed about what a victim hastert is, will voice the same concern for the underage boy that was sexually abused. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 09:47:31 AM »
Anything to defend this pedo.   Disgusting.  I hope the pundits that screamed about what a victim hastert is, will voice the same concern for the underage boy that was sexually abused.  

Very weird and sick that Bum would defend this guy.  He is accused of violating banking laws and lying to the FBI to cover up what is almost certainly a crime involving a minor and a male minor at that (regardless of how long ago the possible crimes took place)

I guess party loyalty above all else really is the order of the day

If only John Edwards had been a Republican I'm sure Bum would have defended him too, especially given that his "sexual misconduct" was between consenting heterosexual adults.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 10:24:12 AM »
Very weird and sick that Bum would defend this guy.  He is accused of violating banking laws and lying to the FBI to cover up what is almost certainly a crime involving a minor and a male minor at that (regardless of how long ago the possible crimes took place)

I guess party loyalty above all else really is the order of the day

If only John Edwards had been a Republican I'm sure Bum would have defended him too, especially given that his "sexual misconduct" was between consenting heterosexual adults.

bum will say he didn't defend the guy... he just happened to post a point of view defending the guy repeatedly.

it's odd... one of those "food for thought, but I won't commit either way".

Hassert looks like a sicko, period.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 10:32:13 AM »
bum will say he didn't defend the guy... he just happened to post a point of view defending the guy repeatedly.

it's odd... one of those "food for thought, but I won't commit either way".

Hassert looks like a sicko, period.

he will try but he's also criticizing you for not supporting a Repub so kind of hard to have it both ways

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 11:08:25 AM »
he will try but he's also criticizing you for not supporting a Repub so kind of hard to have it both ways

Either you're with the pedo embezzlers, or you're with the liberals.   

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2015, 11:35:00 AM »
If there's sufficient evidence that he's likely guilty of sexual misconduct with kids or forcing himself on anyone or what have you, I say try the bastard and throw him away for life in a cell with a 400 pound gorilla if they can convict him. Cut his fucking nuts off, kill him, I don't care.

If the statute of limitations has run out or whatever, hopefully someone he's molested will take care of him once and for all.

His party affiliation has nothing to do with anything.

This is why liberals suck - if he had been a Democrat, you guys would be making moral equivalence arguments and somehow excusing his behavior because this or that Republican did this or that in the past 5 years or thousand years or whatever. Criminals - especially violent criminals - should not be treated differently by anyone because of their political party affiliation or anything else.

As for Dershowitz, it's in his nature as an appellate attorney to think this way about these things. And it appears that he's only questioning the actual "structuring" charges being inappropriate.

"Paying hush money is not illegal," Dershowitz said. "He didn't want anybody to know about it, so he took money out in small amounts and the banks wouldn't report it. That is not within the heartland of what this statute was intended to cover – and then to have an indictment which essentially reveals that which Hastert was trying to conceal puts the government in the position of essentially being part of the blackmail – and it's just not right."

A

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »
::)  You are a Republican in Name Only.  In practice, you are a flaming liberal.  At least on this board. 

Could be worse.  He could be like you and deny being a Repub all together. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2015, 01:14:09 PM »
Either you're with the pedo embezzlers, or you're with the liberals.   

You've got to understand that Bum is not the type of guy to rush to judgement, especially in matters of moral turpitude with a minor.....while also being a Republican

He also clearly finds it "interesting" that Hastert wasn't breaking any laws by paying hush money, even though the way he withdrew the money seems to indicate he was trying to evade reporting requirements and he lied to the FBI about it and the act that he was paying to cover up was quite likely illegal.

Hmmm, that really is interesting

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2015, 02:49:14 PM »
You've got to understand that Bum is not the type of guy to rush to judgement, especially in matters of moral turpitude with a minor.....while also being a Republican

He also clearly finds it "interesting" that Hastert wasn't breaking any laws by paying hush money, even though the way he withdrew the money seems to indicate he was trying to evade reporting requirements and he lied to the FBI about it and the act that he was paying to cover up was quite likely illegal.

Hmmm, that really is interesting

Not really when you consider what an idiotic hypocrite he is.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2015, 10:53:57 AM »
Could be worse.  He could be like you and deny being a Repub all together. 

Could be even worse:  he could be like you. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2015, 11:23:22 AM »
If there's sufficient evidence that he's likely guilty of sexual misconduct with kids or forcing himself on anyone or what have you, I say try the bastard and throw him away for life in a cell with a 400 pound gorilla if they can convict him. Cut his fucking nuts off, kill him, I don't care.

If the statute of limitations has run out or whatever, hopefully someone he's molested will take care of him once and for all.

His party affiliation has nothing to do with anything.

This is why liberals suck - if he had been a Democrat, you guys would be making moral equivalence arguments and somehow excusing his behavior because this or that Republican did this or that in the past 5 years or thousand years or whatever. Criminals - especially violent criminals - should not be treated differently by anyone because of their political party affiliation or anything else.

As for Dershowitz, it's in his nature as an appellate attorney to think this way about these things. And it appears that he's only questioning the actual "structuring" charges being inappropriate.

You would think it would be illegal as it at least suggests blackmail going on.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2015, 04:11:10 PM »
Good.

Christian College Removes Hastert's Name after Indictment
31 May 2015

A Christian college in suburban Chicago has removed the name of former U.S. House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert from an academic research center.

Wheaton College announced Sunday that what had been known as the J. Dennis Hastert Center for Economics, Government and Public Policy is now just named after the school.

The center was established in 2007 when Hastert stepped down from Congress after eight years as speaker.

Hastert resigned from the research center's board Friday, one day after the release of a federal indictment accusing him of violating banking laws by agreeing to pay $3.5 million in hush money to keep a person silent about unspecified "prior misconduct."

Hastert has also resigned from Chicago-based CME Group, parent of several exchanges, and the Washington lobbying firm Dickstein Shapiro LLC.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/dennis-hastert-name-building-wheaton-college/2015/05/31/id/647814/#ixzz3br3jgQ2d

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2015, 04:13:12 PM »
Good.

Bad.  Wait for the conviction.

Or....maybe good and put it back on IF he happens to be clear.

Ah...fuck it, IDK.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2015, 04:16:48 PM »

Bad.  Wait for the conviction.

Or....maybe good and put it back on IF he happens to be clear.

Ah...fuck it, IDK.

I don't think it matters if he is convicted or is actually guilty or innocent.  It's not the kind of attention the school wants or needs.  I would have done the same thing if I was a decision maker at the school. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2015, 05:05:02 PM »
I don't think it matters if he is convicted or is actually guilty or innocent.  It's not the kind of attention the school wants or needs.  I would have done the same thing if I was a decision maker at the school. 

I think it would, especially if the allegation turned out to be false.