Author Topic: Do you assume anyone who eats "organic" is stupid?  (Read 6681 times)

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
Do you assume anyone who eats "organic" is stupid?
« on: June 02, 2015, 07:50:00 PM »
Three times or more the price, no added benefit.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
Re: Do you assume anyone who eats "organic" is stupid?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 07:55:31 PM »
No.  Stupid Free Range Hippies suits them better.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 08:02:18 PM »
You're "stupid" for believing there's no added benefit. The benefit is you're eating food that's not genetically modified. You should do some research.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 08:04:01 PM »
I believe in it more and more.
But thought it was some hippy shit at first indeed.
?

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 08:07:01 PM »
You're "stupid" for believing there's no added benefit. The benefit is you're eating food that's not genetically modified. You should do some research.

All food is genetically modified.  Have you never heard of Gregor Mendel?  Keep paying triple for fads.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 08:08:36 PM »

There is no peer reviewed study that shows any benefit.  There is also no real definition of organic and no controls on it.  Wake up, you are being fed a line of corporate bullshit.

You'd be much healthier cutting out sugar.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 08:09:11 PM »

That's what they grow it in.  Hippie shit.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 08:11:11 PM »
Yes. Or delusional.  What the usda allows to be advertised as "organic" is in contrast to what most people would define as organic.

6/7 years ago I dated a chick who bought everything labeled organic: chips,  juices,  frozen products,  I seem to remember a box of organic Rice Krispy's......  Needless  to say I searched what constitutes labeling a food item organic, and if I remember correctly among other weak statutes,  it was a product where the land had been pesticide free for two planting seasons, and if I'm not mistaken agricultural soil  is required to have a pesticide free crop every number of years anyhow (it's been awhile so my info may be a little shaky, but I'm sure if someone were to use Google they  would easily correct me).

Anyhow I showed this to her and she told me that I could eat unhealthy if I wanted, she wasn't putting chemicals in her body. ::)

Same woman would only drink Evian bottled water, I once bought her a bottle of Aquafina and she went nuts. I told her it's all tap water, that she'd be fine and she went on a rant why Evian was superior and I wasn't going to change her......... good times.

There is no peer reviewed study that shows any benefit.  There is also no real definition of organic and no controls on it.  Wake up, you are being fed a line of corporate bullshit.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 08:15:43 PM »
Only thing I can say about organic is that it has way less salt. So that's one good thing.

Try going back to regular salsa or ketchup after you get used to organic....it's like a salt lick.

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 08:19:01 PM »

Many foods have been genetically modified. These are the original, unmodified versions of some foods:

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 08:20:20 PM »
I like organic gluten free Ezekial bread. For its taste. Not for its nutritional content.

And I ear farmed fish. And canned dolphin. lol

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 08:21:39 PM »
Geez, organic means grown with no pesticides, herbicides, or artificial fertilizers.  Do you believe Monsanto, DuPont, and Dow when they say the residue left on fruits and vegetables from their products is safe for human consumption?

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 08:22:08 PM »
Despite overwhelming evidence that GM crops are safe to eat, the debate over their use continues to rage, and in some parts of the world, it is growing ever louder. Skeptics would argue that this contentiousness is a good thing—that we cannot be too cautious when tinkering with the genetic basis of the world's food supply.

To researchers, however, the persistence of fears about GM foods is nothing short of exasperating. “In spite of hundreds of millions of genetic experiments involving every type of organism on earth,” he says, “and people eating billions of meals without a problem, we've gone back to being ignorant.”  

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-truth-about-genetically-modified-food/

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 08:22:40 PM »
Geez, organic means grown with no pesticides, herbicides, or artificial fertilizers.  Do you believe Monsanto, DuPont, and Dow when they say the residue left on fruits and vegetables from their products is safe for human consumption?

John DuPont seemed like a trusting nice guy.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 08:24:53 PM »

Incorrect

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 08:27:55 PM »
Incorrect

what part is incorrect?

From wikipedia

"Organic foods are foods produced by organic farming. While the standards differ worldwide, organic farming in general features cultural, biological, and mechanical practices that foster cycling of resources, promote ecological balance, and conserve biodiversity. Synthetic pesticides and chemical fertilizers are not allowed, although certain organically approved pesticides may be used under limited conditions. In general, organic foods are also not processed using irradiation, industrial solvents, or synthetic food additives."

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 08:29:51 PM »

Today's "modern" bodybuilder have more drugs in them than all the so-called Genetically Modified foods grown in the last several years.  And that's just fine with so many "fans".  

Getbiggers (of which alas, I cannot lay claim to the title) are big fans of Biologically  Modified Corn, aka BM Corn, aka BMC.  Well, not really BMC as he is perhaps the single most undemanding heterosexual male on this site.

BM Corn is the Getbigger's delight.

And again, bodybuilders today are so full of crap that genetically modified foodstuff is nothing scary to the noble thongolian warrior of the dais.  Getting a real tan however, terrorizes these drug puppies.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 08:32:29 PM »
what part is incorrect?

From wikipedia

"Organic foods are foods produced by organic farming. While the standards differ worldwide, organic farming in general features cultural, biological, and mechanical practices that foster cycling of resources, promote ecological balance, and conserve biodiversity. Synthetic pesticides and chemical fertilizers are not allowed, although certain organically approved pesticides may be used under limited conditions. In general, organic foods are also not processed using irradiation, industrial solvents, or synthetic food additives."

You said no pesticides were used. And conveniently left out the prior part to your Wikipedia definition

Organic farming is a form of agriculture that relies on techniques such as crop rotation, green manure, compost, and biological pest control. Depending on whose definition is used, organic farming uses fertilizers and pesticides (which include herbicides, insecticides and fungicides) if they are considered natural (such as bone meal from animals or pyrethrin from flowers), but it excludes or strictly limits the use of various methods (including synthetic petrochemical fertilizers and pesticides

I'm in agriculture and we use certain pesticides that can also legally be used on USDA organic produce, and they are sure as hell aren't all natural. Up until a few years ago, organic strawberry growers could spray nicotine on their crops since it's a naturally occurring alkaloid found in the nightshade family. That's not exactly healthy. Do you realize what a commerially grown crop that is grown outdoors would look like without any pesticides? There wouldn't be a crop or a farmer to grow it because he'd be broke.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=9874504b6f1025eb0e6b67cadf9d3b40&rgn=div6&view=text&node=7:3.1.1.9.32.7&idno=7#se7.3.205_1601

§205.601   Synthetic substances allowed for use in organic crop production.
In accordance with restrictions specified in this section, the following synthetic substances may be used in organic crop production: Provided, That, use of such substances do not contribute to contamination of crops, soil, or water. Substances allowed by this section, except disinfectants and sanitizers in paragraph (a) and those substances in paragraphs (c), (j), (k), and (l) of this section, may only be used when the provisions set forth in §205.206(a) through (d) prove insufficient to prevent or control the target pest.

(a) As algicide, disinfectants, and sanitizer, including irrigation system cleaning systems.

(1) Alcohols.

(i) Ethanol.

(ii) Isopropanol.

(2) Chlorine materials—For pre-harvest use, residual chlorine levels in the water in direct crop contact or as water from cleaning irrigation systems applied to soil must not exceed the maximum residual disinfectant limit under the Safe Drinking Water Act, except that chlorine products may be used in edible sprout production according to EPA label directions.

(i) Calcium hypochlorite.

(ii) Chlorine dioxide.

(iii) Sodium hypochlorite.

(3) Copper sulfate—for use as an algicide in aquatic rice systems, is limited to one application per field during any 24-month period. Application rates are limited to those which do not increase baseline soil test values for copper over a timeframe agreed upon by the producer and accredited certifying agent.

(4) Hydrogen peroxide.

(5) Ozone gas—for use as an irrigation system cleaner only.

(6) Peracetic acid—for use in disinfecting equipment, seed, and asexually propagated planting material. Also permitted in hydrogen peroxide formulations as allowed in §205.601(a) at concentration of no more than 6% as indicated on the pesticide product label.

(7) Soap-based algicide/demossers.

(8) Sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate (CAS #-15630-89-4)—Federal law restricts the use of this substance in food crop production to approved food uses identified on the product label.

(b) As herbicides, weed barriers, as applicable.

(1) Herbicides, soap-based—for use in farmstead maintenance (roadways, ditches, right of ways, building perimeters) and ornamental crops.

(2) Mulches.

(i) Newspaper or other recycled paper, without glossy or colored inks.

(ii) Plastic mulch and covers (petroleum-based other than polyvinyl chloride (PVC)).

(iii) Biodegradable biobased mulch film as defined in §205.2. Must be produced without organisms or feedstock derived from excluded methods.

(c) As compost feedstocks—Newspapers or other recycled paper, without glossy or colored inks.

(d) As animal repellents—Soaps, ammonium—for use as a large animal repellant only, no contact with soil or edible portion of crop.

(e) As insecticides (including acaricides or mite control).

(1) Ammonium carbonate—for use as bait in insect traps only, no direct contact with crop or soil.

(2) Aqueous potassium silicate (CAS #-1312-76-1)—the silica, used in the manufacture of potassium silicate, must be sourced from naturally occurring sand.

(3) Boric acid—structural pest control, no direct contact with organic food or crops.

(4) Copper sulfate—for use as tadpole shrimp control in aquatic rice production, is limited to one application per field during any 24-month period. Application rates are limited to levels which do not increase baseline soil test values for copper over a timeframe agreed upon by the producer and accredited certifying agent.

(5) Elemental sulfur.

(6) Lime sulfur—including calcium polysulfide.

(7) Oils, horticultural—narrow range oils as dormant, suffocating, and summer oils.

(8) Soaps, insecticidal.

(9) Sticky traps/barriers.

(10) Sucrose octanoate esters (CAS #s—42922-74-7; 58064-47-4)—in accordance with approved labeling.

(f) As insect management. Pheromones.

(g) As rodenticides. Vitamin D3.

(h) As slug or snail bait. Ferric phosphate (CAS # 10045-86-0).

(i) As plant disease control.

(1) Aqueous potassium silicate (CAS #-1312-76-1)—the silica, used in the manufacture of potassium silicate, must be sourced from naturally occurring sand.

(2) Coppers, fixed—copper hydroxide, copper oxide, copper oxychloride, includes products exempted from EPA tolerance, Provided, That, copper-based materials must be used in a manner that minimizes accumulation in the soil and shall not be used as herbicides.

(3) Copper sulfate—Substance must be used in a manner that minimizes accumulation of copper in the soil.

(4) Hydrated lime.

(5) Hydrogen peroxide.

(6) Lime sulfur.

(7) Oils, horticultural, narrow range oils as dormant, suffocating, and summer oils.

(8) Peracetic acid—for use to control fire blight bacteria. Also permitted in hydrogen peroxide formulations as allowed in §205.601(i) at concentration of no more than 6% as indicated on the pesticide product label.

(9) Potassium bicarbonate.

(10) Elemental sulfur.

(11) Streptomycin, for fire blight control in apples and pears only until October 21, 2014.

(12) Tetracycline, for fire blight control in apples and pears only until October 21, 2014.

(j) As plant or soil amendments.

(1) Aquatic plant extracts (other than hydrolyzed)—Extraction process is limited to the use of potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide; solvent amount used is limited to that amount necessary for extraction.

(2) Elemental sulfur.

(3) Humic acids—naturally occurring deposits, water and alkali extracts only.

(4) Lignin sulfonate—chelating agent, dust suppressant.

(5) Magnesium sulfate—allowed with a documented soil deficiency.

(6) Micronutrients—not to be used as a defoliant, herbicide, or desiccant. Those made from nitrates or chlorides are not allowed. Soil deficiency must be documented by testing.

(i) Soluble boron products.

(ii) Sulfates, carbonates, oxides, or silicates of zinc, copper, iron, manganese, molybdenum, selenium, and cobalt.

(7) Liquid fish products—can be pH adjusted with sulfuric, citric or phosphoric acid. The amount of acid used shall not exceed the minimum needed to lower the pH to 3.5.

(8) Vitamins, B1, C, and E.

(9) Sulfurous acid (CAS # 7782-99-2) for on-farm generation of substance utilizing 99% purity elemental sulfur per paragraph (j)(2) of this section.

(k) As plant growth regulators. Ethylene gas—for regulation of pineapple flowering.

(l) As floating agents in postharvest handling.

(1) Lignin sulfonate.

(2) Sodium silicate—for tree fruit and fiber processing.

(m) As synthetic inert ingredients as classified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), for use with nonsynthetic substances or synthetic substances listed in this section and used as an active pesticide ingredient in accordance with any limitations on the use of such substances.

(1) EPA List 4—Inerts of Minimal Concern.

(2) EPA List 3—Inerts of unknown toxicity—for use only in passive pheromone dispensers.

(n) Seed preparations. Hydrogen chloride (CAS # 7647-01-0)—for delinting cotton seed for planting.

(o) As production aids. Microcrystalline cheesewax (CAS #'s 64742-42-3, 8009-03-08, and 8002-74-2)-for use in log grown mushroom production. Must be made without either ethylene-propylene co-polymer or synthetic colors.

(p)-(z) [Reserved]

[65 FR 80637, Dec. 21, 2000, as amended at 68 FR 61992, Oct. 31, 2003; 71 FR 53302 Sept. 11, 2006; 72 FR 69572, Dec. 10, 2007; 75 FR 38696, July 6, 2010; 75 FR 77524, Dec. 13, 2010; 77 FR 8092, Feb. 14, 2012; 77 FR 33298, June 6, 2012; 77 FR 45907, Aug. 2, 2012; 78 FR 31821, May 28, 2013; 79 FR 58663, Sept. 30, 2014]

Plus, the USDA or EPA doing their once a year audits where they even tell you when they're coming, aren't going to catch growers breaking the rules. Organic farming is a big scam, and they're profiting from the general public thinking it's "healthier"

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 08:59:36 PM »

this..Wiggs is getting to the "gloss over his post point"

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 08:59:57 PM »
Only thing I can say about organic is that it has way less salt. So that's one good thing.

Try going back to regular salsa or ketchup after you get used to organic....it's like a salt lick.

This isn't a dig at you but that is ridiculous.  Salt is the most organic thing on the planet.  If you want to eat pure foods not processed or without chemicals that is fine.  I think that is good.  But there is no difference between an organic egg and a nonorganic egg.  Or carrot.

Competitor 9

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 09:01:05 PM »

Wiggs don't make me get my 1861 on your ass

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 09:01:24 PM »

Do you beleive the crap you buy in stores labelled organic is grown without those things?  Wake up.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2015, 09:04:01 PM »
Today's "modern" bodybuilder have more drugs in them than all the so-called Genetically Modified foods grown in the last several years.  And that's just fine with so many "fans".  

Getbiggers (of which alas, I cannot lay claim to the title) are big fans of Biologically  Modified Corn, aka BM Corn, aka BMC.  Well, not really BMC as he is perhaps the single most undemanding heterosexual male on this site.

BM Corn is the Getbigger's delight.

And again, bodybuilders today are so full of crap that genetically modified foodstuff is nothing scary to the noble thongolian warrior of the dais.  Getting a real tan however, terrorizes these drug puppies.

BM corn, thongolian warrior.  nice.

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2015, 09:04:24 PM »

Organic farming often does use pesticides.  There is a list of organically approved pesticides they can use.  Generally as long as they are not synthetic they can use them.  9 of these that I know of "organic pesticides" are listed as highly toxic.  

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2015, 09:06:04 PM »

Gotta know WHO you are getting your food from. But you make some good points and thought exactly the same as you did.
?