Author Topic: New and 52.  (Read 2403 times)

barlowe45

• Getbig I
New and 52.
« on: June 03, 2015, 06:52:02 PM »
I'm new here so please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place.
I'm 52 years old and in 'ok' shape. 5'11", 210 lbs, 34" waist. My problem...I want bigger arms but am very limited with my budget. I currently do 2-3 sets of 30 pushups daily, 2 sets of curls using a 35 lb. dumbbell and 25 wrist curls using the same 35 lb. dumbell. I've bee doing this daily for around 6 weeks and notice a little more definition but not the mass and vein popping arms I'm looking for. I also started around 4 weeks back using whey protein after workout.
Any suggestions, just using the dumbbells I have, to get bigger, more defined arms? I possibly could purchase one more pair of dumbbells but that's about it.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

barlowe45

• Getbig I
Re: New and 52.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 06:54:50 PM »
Btw...I don't have a weight bench either.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 09:19:44 PM »
I sense someone seeking a sugar daddy.
?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 09:06:00 AM »
No offense, but you seem to be doing warm-up's rather than workouts. If your new to all this, I'm not going to list any complex routines...just keeping it simple for the moment.

Not sure if you have plate loading DB's or solid DB's, but in any event try getting at least up to 50-60 lbs DB's. Try garage sales, on line or whatever. Actually only need one DB for your purposes.

Triceps make up roughly 3/4's of the arm's size, so include one arm French presses, lying tricep extensions, etc. Look performance on doing these exercises on the internet...lots of help there. There is also the tricep push back/push off, where only bwt is needed...a very, very good movement, overlooked by many (don't know why).

For biceps, might suggest one are concentration curls (sitting, one elbow braced on the inside of the knee/upper leg). The one arm curl, keeping the elbows tight against the body, might also be suggested.  Would also drop the wrist curls, really not required.

If you can some how arrange a chinning bar, than close grip (6-8 inches apart) chins are excellent for the biceps. For the triceps, also arranging a dipping bar/stand some how is a good idea. Doing dips, with the elbows kept tight against the body, can be a superior tricep movement.

Would suggest only three workouts a week. With a complete days rest between each workout.  Might start with 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps for triceps & biceps.  Advance from there after a good months training, if feeling the need.

If not ready for any investments in more weight, than might suggest the one and one half method. taking the curl for example, do a complete rep, lower the DB half way(90 degrees) and hold for a couple of seconds. Now curl the DB all the way up again and than lower back to the starting position at the bottom. That's a 1 & 1/2 rep. Try 6 reps of these for a start. Can also apply this to the tricep exercises...or just about any other exercise you may think of.

Good Luck.
F

barlowe45

• Getbig I
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 09:22:04 AM »
Thanks a lot, jpm101. Awesome info that I will utilize.

barlowe45

• Getbig I
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 09:24:59 AM »
Ritch. Looking for a sugardaddy? I'm a male and married...to a woman. Wth?

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 02:27:30 PM »
Stop eating for a month....put that money into a bench, squat rack, weights.
Start eating and training, bodypart 4-8 sets once every 4-5 days.
You will grow. Period.
Says Dr Dutch

Davidtheman100

• Getbig IV
  • Kill it
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 05:40:34 PM »
I'm new here so please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place.
I'm 52 years old and in 'ok' shape. 5'11", 210 lbs, 34" waist. My problem...I want bigger arms but am very limited with my budget. I currently do 2-3 sets of 30 pushups daily, 2 sets of curls using a 35 lb. dumbbell and 25 wrist curls using the same 35 lb. dumbell. I've bee doing this daily for around 6 weeks and notice a little more definition but not the mass and vein popping arms I'm looking for. I also started around 4 weeks back using whey protein after workout.
Any suggestions, just using the dumbbells I have, to get bigger, more defined arms? I possibly could purchase one more pair of dumbbells but that's about it.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

TRy getting a membership to a gym and doing a workout split... You will know quickly whether you have the genetics for growing your arms wel or not...On chest day if you're getting a crazy pump easily you may have the genetics to grow chest rather than arms..if you get crazy pump in your triceps while working triceps then you will realize that your arms are whats meant to grow...don't wanna train a muscle group more than 2ce a week as it is counterproductive just work harder and heavier with more sets and less reps...heaviest you can go with good form..3-4 sets of dumbells is hundreds and hundreds of dollars which is over a year worth of membership to a normal gym...I'd say get in the gym and save the dumbells for the gym as well...Keep the ones you have at your house incase you miss a workout or something,,idk ...having defined arms comes with having a lower BF %.. having a lower BF % comes with dieting and eating clean foods...