Author Topic: Frank Zane or Lee Haney ?  (Read 77795 times)

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
Re: Frank Zane or Lee Haney ?
« Reply #250 on: February 09, 2024, 05:13:57 AM »
                                    Yes Weider did in fact send The king to train with Vince. It was exactly what he needed to become the best ever!  I understand peoples obsession with guys being a "monster" and freakish etc. They think that that is what bodybuilding is about. I too as a kid thought get huge that's it. I would look at the magazines and seen little Frank Zane winning and I was like WTF!!
                                           BUT then as I got bigger and started to understand what bodybuilding ( the sport or art or whatever you prefer to call it) was really about then I started to understand more. Big is fine and all that but from the competition side EVERYTHING must flow be balanced and presented well. On stage pose properly gracefully and show confidence. Be big proportionate and symmetrical and be lean but NOT unhealthy looking lean.
                                Frank Zane all by himself had the ultimate physique. PERIOD.  BUT when next to bigger guys he vanished.  Arnold had the biggest and most proportionate body and when he posed he posed to hide bodyparts that may not have been as superior to other contestants as were his other bodyparts. He was a master . The 70s and most of the 80's had the best guys EVER. The amatuers had such great guys too. All were amazing. I don't think Haney is all that. He was ok and should have won a few olympias and all that. But he was an asshole and very very racist. He has a reputation as being such a nice guy etc. I know more about him than a lot of people. He had a good public image and a good body but I didn't and don't like the man.
                             Arnold was the only guy who worked hard to get bodybuilders accepted more mainstream as a sport/ art. He went on tv shows he promoted contests  wrote books and he himself became "mainstream"  . The bodybuilders all thought they would repeat what he did but they never put in the work They just expected it to happen. I do not like Arnold now BUT without him where would the fitness industry be? Where would the prize money be at? So anyways I rambled on. Zane beats Haney any time. Padilla does to bob paris does too. Lot's do. In my opinion.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #251 on: February 09, 2024, 06:55:57 AM »
Haney 8
Zane   3

🤔 Hmmmmmm .............

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Royalty is a schmoe-cel.
« Reply #252 on: February 09, 2024, 07:39:40 AM »

Frank Zane all by himself had the ultimate physique. PERIOD.  BUT when next to bigger guys he vanished.  Arnold had the biggest and most proportionate body and when he posed he posed to hide bodyparts that may not have been as superior to other contestants as were his other bodyparts. He was a master . The 70s and most of the 80's had the best guys EVER. The amatuers had such great guys too. All were amazing. I don't think Haney is all that. He was ok and should have won a few olympias and all that. But he was an asshole and very very racist. He has a reputation as being such a nice guy etc. I know more about him than a lot of people. He had a good public image and a good body but I didn't and don't like the man.
                             Arnold was the only guy who worked hard to get bodybuilders accepted more mainstream as a sport/ art. He went on tv shows he promoted contests  wrote books and he himself became "mainstream"  . The bodybuilders all thought they would repeat what he did but they never put in the work They just expected it to happen. I do not like Arnold now BUT without him where would the fitness industry be? Where would the prize money be at? So anyways I rambled on. Zane beats Haney any time. Padilla does to bob paris does too. Lot's do. In my opinion.

Disagree with a couple of points here. Despite being smaller in stature and weight, Zane did not disappear on stage. Thats what was so great about him. He understood how to present himself and create the illusion of being bigger.

2. Haney was so far ahead of everyone else it isn't even an issue. The only one he was lucky to win was the drug tested Olympia. That was an odd contest. I have never heard anything about Lee being an asshole or a racist.

I do agree that Arnold did more for the sport than anybody. Thats why I don't understand the spiteful attitude people had toward him in the late 70's. I mean he was getting bodybuilding into the mainstream, getting shows/contests on TV, getting all the bodybuilders so much exposure. He was probably insufferable to be around, probably always subtlety putting people in their place, hogging the limelight always having to be the center of attention.  But come on without Arnolds work bodybuilding would be even more obscure than it already is. As soon as he turned his attention to his movie career it slipped back into obscurity little by little. I didn't get the disrespect Zane, Mentzer, Coe etc showed him. They were benefitting from his work to promote the sport and they despised him for it.

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #253 on: February 09, 2024, 07:42:29 AM »
Disagree with a couple of points here. Despite being smaller in stature and weight, Zane did not disappear on stage. Thats what was so great about him. He understood how to present himself and create the illusion of being bigger.

2. Haney was so far ahead of everyone else it isn't even an issue. The only one he was lucky to win was the drug tested Olympia. That was an odd contest. I have never heard anything about Lee being an asshole or a racist.

I do agree that Arnold did more for the sport than anybody. Thats why I don't understand the spiteful attitude people had toward him in the late 70's. I mean he was getting bodybuilding into the mainstream, getting shows/contests on TV, getting all the bodybuilders so much exposure. He was probably insufferable to be around, probably always subtlety putting people in their place, hogging the limelight always having to be the center of attention.  But come on without Arnolds work bodybuilding would be even more obscure than it already is. As soon as he turned his attention to his movie career it slipped back into obscurity little by little. I didn't get the disrespect Zane, Mentzer, Coe etc showed him. They were benefitting from his work to promote the sport and they despised him for it.

This .

WoooSHHHHHHHHHHH

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #254 on: February 09, 2024, 07:42:31 AM »

Jealousy - Simple as.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #255 on: February 10, 2024, 12:30:40 AM »
                                    Yes Weider did in fact send The king to train with Vince. It was exactly what he needed to become the best ever!  I understand peoples obsession with guys being a "monster" and freakish etc. They think that that is what bodybuilding is about. I too as a kid thought get huge that's it. I would look at the magazines and seen little Frank Zane winning and I was like WTF!!
                                           BUT then as I got bigger and started to understand what bodybuilding ( the sport or art or whatever you prefer to call it) was really about then I started to understand more. Big is fine and all that but from the competition side EVERYTHING must flow be balanced and presented well. On stage pose properly gracefully and show confidence. Be big proportionate and symmetrical and be lean but NOT unhealthy looking lean.
Racist? How so?

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #256 on: February 10, 2024, 12:46:12 AM »

thats the first time I have ever heard anyone say a bad word about Haney

I hope you have something to back that up

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #257 on: February 10, 2024, 01:24:58 AM »

Rich Gaspari account? ;D

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #258 on: February 10, 2024, 06:06:40 AM »

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #259 on: February 10, 2024, 06:11:31 AM »
                          No I do not have anything to back it up. This is from personal conversations I had with him during the mid to late 80's.  Mostly around contest time(s). I know the stress and the drugs etc can make a person say and do and behave in ways that are not always their norm.  So I just attributed it to that.
                            Also when I said Zane "vanished" when next to bigger guys that was probably a bad choice of words. I should have said something like " his weakness showed more"  or something. Like I said by himself the man was a statue. No weak parts and everything flowed. But next to bigger guys he looked different. But all that mattered is who the judges votes for. That was back when the judges were fair and voted the right way. NOT like now days. They only care about big bloated mass. Why are they always looking like they are contstipated and trying to take a shit when posing? And they way they stand all flared out to the extreme. And why all the mouth opens or tongue hanging out and acting like they are in pain or struggling. Posing is supposed to look easy. Smile . relaxed confidence etc.  Not now just a bunch of bloated bags of shit with 45 in waists at 250 lbs at 5 ft 7. I think "classic" bodybuilding shows more resemble true bodybuilding as it was meant to be but eventually the mass for the sake of mass will take over that too!
                         Just like female bodybuilding. At the beginning the ladies looked no better than a track athlete or gymnast.  Lady like and feminine and decent looking. Bev Francis was voted down the list because she was just to much but compared to women now days she fits right in ( only they are more massive).

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #260 on: February 10, 2024, 06:33:28 AM »
                          No I do not have anything to back it up. This is from personal conversations I had with him during the mid to late 80's.  Mostly around contest time(s). I know the stress and the drugs etc can make a person say and do and behave in ways that are not always their norm.  So I just attributed it to that.

so what did he say that was racist?

I sense this is going to end with you providing zero evidence and getting all arsey.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #261 on: February 10, 2024, 08:14:51 AM »
I still think that Weider gave Haney 8 wins to "teach" Arnold a lesson on who's really in charge of bodybuilding.  I think it didn't work because Arnold is still considered the best and anyone that knows bodybuilding knows that Arnold on what these people that came after him  took would destroy them.

Even Coleman has said as much.  No one could come close to Arnold.  I much prefer Zane's physique over Haney's but I prefer Reeves over anyone.  In the real world the best ever drug free is Reeves and with drugs it's Arnold.  But overall it is without a doubt Arnold.   When people talk about genetics, Reeves and Arnold had near perfect genes.  Reg Park too. 

For decades now bodybuilders have started drugs when way too young and with way too much.  Drugs make up for shit genes, how  else can they explain HUGE (and fugly!) women bodybuilders?   I like Serge Nubret's build far better than Haney's but that is  my preference.  Nubret is fantastic and far more handsome than Haney.    The  build of men like Nubret and Zane is preferred except amongst the fetish fiend schmoes. ;D

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Royalty is a schmoe-cel.
« Reply #262 on: February 10, 2024, 10:53:34 AM »
so what did he say that was racist?

I sense this is going to end with you providing zero evidence and getting all arsey.

Unless Big offers some proof to the matter asserted, I think we should all just walk away from that comment and act like it never happened.

DanielPaul

• Getbig IV
« Reply #263 on: February 10, 2024, 11:08:27 AM »
This is kind of an odd thing to bring up, but if any of you ever heard the story of how Frank Zane ripped his urethra three weeks before the Mr. Olympia. As somebody trained an emergency medicine, you always imagine the mechanism of injury when someone gets hurt and I just wonder how the fuck that happens. Also, could that possibly be the reason Zane never had any children. Could the dude have de-cocked himself in a freak accident?

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #264 on: February 11, 2024, 12:22:08 AM »
This is kind of an odd thing to bring up, but if any of you ever heard the story of how Frank Zane ripped his urethra three weeks before the Mr. Olympia. As somebody trained an emergency medicine, you always imagine the mechanism of injury when someone gets hurt and I just wonder how the fuck that happens. Also, could that possibly be the reason Zane never had any children. Could the dude have de-cocked himself in a freak accident?
Yes, he talked about it before in magazine articles. Clamped it between the metal poles when a lawn chair he was sitting on clamped shut when he was tanning outside. Brutal injury.

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #265 on: February 11, 2024, 05:20:17 AM »
                I have no proof. It was in conversations. So even if I said anything I have no way to back up my claims. I am not about to argue over anything that I can not prove.  So just let it go. Like I said I kind of attributed it to the contest dieting drugs etc.  When Frank cut his urethra he was already old enough to have had kids.  So that had nothing to do with it. Rumor around golds ( even though Frank didn't train there much) was just that Christine couldn't have kids. I am 59 no kids. ( same woman for 20 years and she is 14 years younger than me)  My brother passed at 59 ( my age now he passed 6 years ago) Him and his wife didn't want kids. Some people just don't want them. But again that was just a rumor. Maybe they didn't want them either. OR maybe his prolonged use of steroids screwed him up. Remember back in the day people didn't know much about pct or things. They went off as long as they were on. LOL  not exactly scientific .

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion
« Reply #266 on: February 11, 2024, 05:25:11 AM »
I still think that Weider gave Haney 8 wins to "teach" Arnold a lesson on who's really in charge of bodybuilding.  I think it didn't work because Arnold is still considered the best and anyone that knows bodybuilding knows that Arnold on what these people that came after him  took would destroy them.

Even Coleman has said as much.  No one could come close to Arnold.  I much prefer Zane's physique over Haney's but I prefer Reeves over anyone.  In the real world the best ever drug free is Reeves and with drugs it's Arnold.  But overall it is without a doubt Arnold.   When people talk about genetics, Reeves and Arnold had near perfect genes.  Reg Park too. 

For decades now bodybuilders have started drugs when way too young and with way too much.  Drugs make up for shit genes, how  else can they explain HUGE (and fugly!) women bodybuilders?   I like Serge Nubret's build far better than Haney's but that is  my preference.  Nubret is fantastic and far more handsome than Haney.    The  build of men like Nubret and Zane is preferred except amongst the fetish fiend schmoes. ;D

According to Sergio Olivia Steve Reeves used steroids just like everyone else at that time

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #267 on: February 11, 2024, 05:34:13 AM »
                I have no proof. It was in conversations. So even if I said anything I have no way to back up my claims. I am not about to argue over anything that I can not prove.  So just let it go. Like I said I kind of attributed it to the contest dieting drugs etc.  When Frank cut his urethra he was already old enough to have had kids.  So that had nothing to do with it. Rumor around golds ( even though Frank didn't train there much) was just that Christine couldn't have kids. I am 59 no kids. ( same woman for 20 years and she is 14 years younger than me)  My brother passed at 59 ( my age now he passed 6 years ago) Him and his wife didn't want kids. Some people just don't want them. But again that was just a rumor. Maybe they didn't want them either. OR maybe his prolonged use of steroids screwed him up. Remember back in the day people didn't know much about pct or things. They went off as long as they were on. LOL  not exactly scientific .
No, retract your unfounded allegations immediatly

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #268 on: February 11, 2024, 06:40:25 AM »
According to Sergio Olivia Steve Reeves used steroids just like everyone else at that time

The “Steve Reeves took steroids” claim is typically traced back to ‘Arnold: An Unauthorised Biography’ where the author Wendy Leigh says that Arnold was told about steroids by Kurt Marnul who said he’d learned about them from Steve Reeves, who he claims to have met on vacation in France in 1952.

This was refuted by Reeves who claims he did no visit France in the 1950s and had never heard of nor met Marnul.

" steroids " weren't even invented until years AFTER Reeves retired. There is an established timeline of testosterone and anabolics use in the US and Reeves predates it

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #269 on: February 11, 2024, 06:49:30 AM »
Yes, he talked about it before in magazine articles. Clamped it between the metal poles when a lawn chair he was sitting on clamped shut when he was tanning outside. Brutal injury.

More has been said and written about this questionable competition than any other Mr. Olympia contest, and if you add these comments to the 1981 Olympia competition you get the most controversial two years in competitive bodybuilding ever. In my mind Arnold didn’t deserve to win in 1980 nor did
Colombu deserve to win in 1981.

Did I deserve to win? I was in great shape, but I could have been better. With my mind set on winning four Mr. Olympia titles, I stood in my living room at our Palm Springs house looking out at the pool. It was early August, and I was right on schedule with my Olympia preparation. 208 pounds rock hard and angry about my life of deprivation and sacrifice.

“Oh hell, another 8 weeks of torture to look forward to” I said to myself as I kneeled to sit in the lawn chair near the edge of the pool. As I did the chair slid into the pool with me in it. I felt a hard bump in the groin and sunk to the bottom, dazed. Crawling out there was blood gushing from my penis. The bulbous urethra was smashed. Christine rushed me to the hospital, “keep saying your mantra” she advised.

Four hours later the doctor showed up, he’d been golfing. The nurses had been taking turns squeezing my penis to control the bleeding, but it wasn’t working too well. Finally, the doctor taped me in such a way that pressure was put on the urethra area. The bleeding stopped, a catheter was inserted, and I
went into shock.

Passing out, I thought I was dying. There was a lot of light, and I felt free of all cares and worries. “I could check out right now” I thought and then woke up in a hospital bed. I was there for at least a day (don’t quite remember) and didn’t know what to think or do. So, I called Arnold. He’d given me contest advice for the last several years and I really need it now.

“The word is at Gold’s Gym that you took so many steroids your dick exploded!” Arnold laughed. I expected derisive remarks from the Gold’s animal pit contingency and explained my situation. “What do you think I should do?” I asked the Oak. “You should go to Australia and defend your title” he told me. “You are training hard, are you going to compete?” I asked. “No, I’ll be there doing the TV commentary for CBS” he told me.

https://frankzane.com/1980-mr-olympia/

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #270 on: February 11, 2024, 06:53:58 AM »

He's full of shit. just like the made up stories from BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT. The only hint of a controversy with Haney was when aids because a thing in the 1980s Haney said something to the effect of he wouldn't want to share a locker room with someone who had it and this was in the magazines

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #271 on: February 11, 2024, 07:04:40 AM »
He's full of shit. just like the made up stories from BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT. The only hint of a controversy with Haney was when aids because a thing in the 1980s Haney said something to the effect of he wouldn't want to share a locker room with someone who had it and this was in the magazines
Sounds like common sense bearing in mind people were still unaware of how it was transmitted fully by then

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #272 on: February 11, 2024, 07:05:28 AM »
Sounds like common sense bearing in mind people were still unaware of how it was transmitted fully by then

Exactly

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #273 on: February 12, 2024, 12:36:57 AM »

More has been said and written about this questionable competition than any other Mr. Olympia contest, and if you add these comments to the 1981 Olympia competition you get the most controversial two years in competitive bodybuilding ever. In my mind Arnold didn’t deserve to win in 1980 nor did
Colombu deserve to win in 1981.

Did I deserve to win? I was in great shape, but I could have been better. With my mind set on winning four Mr. Olympia titles, I stood in my living room at our Palm Springs house looking out at the pool. It was early August, and I was right on schedule with my Olympia preparation. 208 pounds rock hard and angry about my life of deprivation and sacrifice.

“Oh hell, another 8 weeks of torture to look forward to” I said to myself as I kneeled to sit in the lawn chair near the edge of the pool. As I did the chair slid into the pool with me in it. I felt a hard bump in the groin and sunk to the bottom, dazed. Crawling out there was blood gushing from my penis. The bulbous urethra was smashed. Christine rushed me to the hospital, “keep saying your mantra” she advised.

Four hours later the doctor showed up, he’d been golfing. The nurses had been taking turns squeezing my penis to control the bleeding, but it wasn’t working too well. Finally, the doctor taped me in such a way that pressure was put on the urethra area. The bleeding stopped, a catheter was inserted, and I
went into shock.

Passing out, I thought I was dying. There was a lot of light, and I felt free of all cares and worries. “I could check out right now” I thought and then woke up in a hospital bed. I was there for at least a day (don’t quite remember) and didn’t know what to think or do. So, I called Arnold. He’d given me contest advice for the last several years and I really need it now.

“The word is at Gold’s Gym that you took so many steroids your dick exploded!” Arnold laughed. I expected derisive remarks from the Gold’s animal pit contingency and explained my situation. “What do you think I should do?” I asked the Oak. “You should go to Australia and defend your title” he told me. “You are training hard, are you going to compete?” I asked. “No, I’ll be there doing the TV commentary for CBS” he told me.

https://frankzane.com/1980-mr-olympia/
Good God! He had real balls to compete after that. No pun.

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #274 on: February 12, 2024, 01:46:52 PM »
I still think that Weider gave Haney 8 wins to "teach" Arnold a lesson on who's really in charge of bodybuilding. I think it didn't work because Arnold is still considered the best and anyone that knows bodybuilding knows that Arnold on what these people that came after him  took would destroy them.

That's the worst analogy I have ever heard, while Lee Haney was winning the Mr.O every year he hardly was featured on the cover of Weider's magazines while Arnold retired in 1980 yet was on both Flex and M&F covers few times a year.

WooSSHHHHHHHHHHHH

WoooSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH