Author Topic: The Mature thread  (Read 244156 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: The Mature thread
« Reply #150 on: December 02, 2012, 12:24:50 PM »
Thanks that sounds like a plan, I haven't done lunges in years that with the new front squats at a higher rep range could be a switch that I need. I am training again after a few years off. I was so happy to train again I probably just overdid it and caused it to flareup. I will get the Active Release Therapy from the chiro if it doesn't go away soon. That is an amazing therapy! But expensive :)

MDN

well keep us informed and let us know how you structure your workout and your results. Your advice and experience could help others and we have some great guys on here.. and good to see Primemuscle  ;D

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #151 on: December 02, 2012, 07:48:55 PM »
Question for you older guys who have had back pain problems in the past. I am 32 and this last happened when I was in my early 20s. I have some problems that are not serious enough to require any surgery but the disc has some damage and sometimes I get that sciatica type pain.

get someone knowledgable (not a gym buddy or rat) to look at your posture and maybe check out how you are standing and how you place your feet  - whither splayed out in every day use (as distinct from a good squatting position) Almost all back problems come from some muscle mis use some time or other. you are at an age where correction reaps greater rewards than later. Consider some yoga - at least enough to get more body position concious. 
c

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #152 on: December 03, 2012, 05:21:21 AM »
so today i was a bit pushed for time and hit chest only with some calfes...

Flat Bench press 4x8
Flat DB Flyes      4x10+
Incline DB press 4x10
Incline DB Flyes  4x10+
One legged DB Calf raises 5x 15-20 / I also did 1 set of max push-ups. On the incline DB press i rotated my hands during the movement.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: December 03, 2012, 06:52:43 AM »
Good chest routine Donny.  I am going to train chest tomorrow.  Will get a train in tomorrow and then another on thursday which will be 6 weeks since my op and my nose bones will be at their full strength.  I will also be able to wear sunnies which going without is killing me here with the glare and being summer. 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #154 on: December 03, 2012, 07:02:59 AM »
Good chest routine Donny.  I am going to train chest tomorrow.  Will get a train in tomorrow and then another on thursday which will be 6 weeks since my op and my nose bones will be at their full strength.  I will also be able to wear sunnies which going without is killing me here with the glare and being summer. 
Thanks...in about an hour i will go for a run...its snowing here...  ;D

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #155 on: December 03, 2012, 07:05:36 AM »
Thanks...in about an hour i will go for a run...its snowing here...  ;D
You lucky thing....I want snow.   :(  

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #156 on: December 03, 2012, 07:19:40 AM »
You lucky thing....I want snow.   :(  
just shit for driving and when its too deep for running shoes i will dig out my Boots.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #157 on: December 03, 2012, 07:29:16 AM »
just shit for driving and when its too deep for running shoes i will dig out my Boots.
I wouldn't like driving in snow. 

mdn250

• Getbig II
« Reply #158 on: December 03, 2012, 09:32:30 AM »
get someone knowledgable (not a gym buddy or rat) to look at your posture and maybe check out how you are standing and how you place your feet  - whither splayed out in every day use (as distinct from a good squatting position) Almost all back problems come from some muscle mis use some time or other. you are at an age where correction reaps greater rewards than later. Consider some yoga - at least enough to get more body position concious. 

Makes a lot of sense. Thank you. I actually have been considering some basic yoga. Since I first had this pain 10 years ago in my early 20's. The ART (active release therapy) from the chiro took care of everything. The chiro worked for Dr Durlan Castro's practice so of course they worked on bodybuilders and athletes daily. He had mentioned that the constant injections leave you with scar tissue and that MIGHT also cause irritation to the nerves. Made sense. I always worked on stretching after that and of course when I got lazy and didn't stretch for a month or so...bam.

MDN

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #159 on: December 03, 2012, 09:55:46 AM »
Makes a lot of sense. Thank you. I actually have been considering some basic yoga. Since I first had this pain 10 years ago in my early 20's. The ART (active release therapy) from the chiro took care of everything. The chiro worked for Dr Durlan Castro's practice so of course they worked on bodybuilders and athletes daily. He had mentioned that the constant injections leave you with scar tissue and that MIGHT also cause irritation to the nerves. Made sense. I always worked on stretching after that and of course when I got lazy and didn't stretch for a month or so...bam.

MDN

Wooo swears by Yoga.. i liked Aikido with the throwing and rolls/breakfalls.. saved my ass one time, i was running and my shoe caught an uneven stone on the street pavement. I rolled perfect and was in a circular motion on my feet. The rolls are different to Judo. I am thinking of starting again and still have my Hakama. It kept my body very supple... although Yoga i agree would be better for you( in my opinion )...

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #160 on: December 04, 2012, 04:39:19 AM »
I trained back instead of chest. 

One arm dumbell rowes (each side) x 4 sets
Lat pulldowns to the front x 4 sets
seated rowes x 4 sets

Finished off with 4 sets of rear delt flyes on machine and 4 sets of db bicep curls. 
Nose felt great, very little swelling occurred from training which was awesome. 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #161 on: December 04, 2012, 05:33:09 AM »
I trained back instead of chest. 

One arm dumbell rowes (each side) x 4 sets
Lat pulldowns to the front x 4 sets
seated rowes x 4 sets

Finished off with 4 sets of rear delt flyes on machine and 4 sets of db bicep curls. 
Nose felt great, very little swelling occurred from training which was awesome. 
nice balanced workout.. good to hear your nose is getting better. Today i got myself a new pair of running shoes my other ones were wrecked and did not provide much protection for my knees. Felt it on my knees last night after my run. Got some quick release collars too for my ez bar. seated rows i liked too Booty baby with a close grip in the gym. Today i will train Back too...

close grip chin ups 3x max
Barbell Rows         4x10
Deadlifts               4x 6-8
Dumbbell shrugs    3x 10+

I will add Deadlifts in there instead of one arm DB rows. The combination of BB rows and Deadlifts is very taxing.. I will round this off with some crunches (feet on bench) and some knee-ins

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #162 on: December 05, 2012, 05:55:52 AM »
so today i will do legs..

Squats 4x10
leg ext 4x12-15
leg curls4x12-15
DB lunges 3x 10
calf raises 5x15+ (3 weigthed with DB and then 2 sets free hand higher reps)

later afterwards a run. No stiff Deads today as i did Standard deads yesterday and feel it.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #163 on: December 05, 2012, 06:12:16 AM »
so today i will do legs..

Squats 4x10
leg ext 4x12-15
leg curls4x12-15
DB lunges 3x 10
calf raises 5x15+ (3 weigthed with DB and then 2 sets free hand higher reps)

later afterwards a run. No stiff Deads today as i did Standard deads yesterday and feel it.
You'll be okay to do squats after deadlifts yesterday Donny?  Squats is a whole body exercise...it really uses the back too especially lower back. 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #164 on: December 05, 2012, 06:19:15 AM »
yes i will be ok as i am not lifting massive weight. It´s more running later i am botherd about because i will feel it in my legs.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #165 on: December 05, 2012, 06:45:01 AM »
yes i will be ok as i am not lifting massive weight. It´s more running later i am botherd about because i will feel it in my legs.
I just can't train back and legs in a row.  I find it hard to to brisk walking for the first 20 mins if I have DOMS in the legs, but then after that I am fine.  I will go harder next leg work out...add in more sets too.  I didn't experience any DOMS from my last leg workout except for the inner thighs.  My legs seem to be able to take alot of volume. 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #166 on: December 05, 2012, 10:44:23 AM »
I just can't train back and legs in a row.  I find it hard to to brisk walking for the first 20 mins if I have DOMS in the legs, but then after that I am fine.  I will go harder next leg work out...add in more sets too.  I didn't experience any DOMS from my last leg workout except for the inner thighs.  My legs seem to be able to take alot of volume. 
well i made my run... was not all that bad, just had to watch because the streets are a bit slidey.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #167 on: December 05, 2012, 06:16:58 PM »
Today I had lunch with my good friend Pat. It is interesting that when he and his partner get together with my wife and I, Pat and I hardly have a chance to talk. Today we talked about everything and anything for almost 4 hours. I've know Pat for years and now I feel like I know him better than ever. I think we will plan on going out to lunch on a regular basis. We will see how that works out once his lady retires next April.

Anyway, thought I should let you all know that I am still not hitting the gym on any regular basis. Our daughter is visiting from El Paso, for the next couple of weeks and we have been spending a lot of time doing things with her. Between that and preparing for a big holiday get together at our house next week, putting up Christmas decor and such, I have been staying out of trouble, but not going to the gym.

I do want to say that you, Donny, and now Booty are inspirational. I really am beginning to feel like I need to get back into it after reading about your workouts. I have been a little envious of Donny having equipment at home. And sometimes it seems to me like you, Donny are always doing one thing or another which makes me wonder if you have time for work. With out a doubt, you are exceptionally dedicated to staying fit.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #168 on: December 05, 2012, 07:26:45 PM »
It's common PM for people to drop off with their training at this time of the year.  People are busy preparing for christmas, travelling to see family and parties.  Here in Australia people get into the festive season probably a month out and eat out on a regular basis and drink a fair bit.  The gyms get very quiet.  Only the dedicated ones keep up with their training.  Enjoy the time with your daughter and the festive season. 

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #169 on: December 05, 2012, 07:32:20 PM »
well i made my run... was not all that bad, just had to watch because the streets are a bit slidey.
We are experiencing a heatwave in Australia.  It's so horrible.  Thank god I can now wear my sunnies as the glare was killing me.  I am now able to do my cardio outdoors, so will be increasing the duration.  I was doing cardio at the gym as there is no way I am doing it outside in this glare without my sunnies. 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #170 on: December 06, 2012, 02:06:37 AM »
We are experiencing a heatwave in Australia.  It's so horrible.  Thank god I can now wear my sunnies as the glare was killing me.  I am now able to do my cardio outdoors, so will be increasing the duration.  I was doing cardio at the gym as there is no way I am doing it outside in this glare without my sunnies. 
Got to admit i do not like too much heat..being a scot... ;D although i do get brown quick. I prefer cooler climates and think Alaska would be more appropriate for me... ;) Primemuscle do not worry about it enjoy Xmas and say that you will start in January. As for my work i work in a sportverein(sport club) as a Sport und fitnesskaufmann IHK Hannover (management assistant in sports and Fitness) i work mostly in our Training room as i am also a qualified Fitness Instructor (Trainer B license Inline Academy and C Übungleiter C Deutscher Sportbund.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #171 on: December 06, 2012, 10:56:40 AM »
Got to admit i do not like too much heat..being a scot... ;D although i do get brown quick. I prefer cooler climates and think Alaska would be more appropriate for me... ;) Primemuscle do not worry about it enjoy Xmas and say that you will start in January. As for my work i work in a sportverein(sport club) as a Sport und fitnesskaufmann IHK Hannover (management assistant in sports and Fitness) i work mostly in our Training room as i am also a qualified Fitness Instructor (Trainer B license Inline Academy and C Übungleiter C Deutscher Sportbund.

Ah, this explains a lot about why you are so committed to being fit. Working in the industry is added incentive to look the part. If you were a slouch, folks might not take you seriously when you were trying to instruct them.

I am not going to allow myself to put off going to the gym until January. Despite my excuses, I have more time available then a lot of folks do being as how I am retired. I really think I have just become so lazy that I don't do as many things in a day as I once did. Next week is busy however, with my wife and I hosting the holiday event and a few other things I have on the docket. Our daughter goes back to El Paso on December 17. Things should get back to a more normal routine then.

I can't believe I am still doing fall clean up in the yard. There is a break in the weather today, meaning no rain. I plan to cut back the perennials and dead annuals plus get the leaves out of the beds. My lucky and apparently wealthier then me neighbor had the arborist trimming his trees yesterday. Today he had the gardener back cleaning the rest of the leaves out of the bushes and beds. And yes, there is an element of "keeping up with the Jones" going on here. Before I start work in the yard, I need to take our dog in for his vaccinations and a toenail clip....a man's work is never done.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #172 on: December 06, 2012, 11:24:43 AM »
Ah, this explains a lot about why you are so committed to being fit. Working in the industry is added incentive to look the part. If you were a slouch, folks might not take you seriously when you were trying to instruct them.

I am not going to allow myself to put off going to the gym until January. Despite my excuses, I have more time available then a lot of folks do being as how I am retired. I really think I have just become so lazy that I don't do as many things in a day as I once did. Next week is busy however, with my wife and I hosting the holiday event and a few other things I have on the docket. Our daughter goes back to El Paso on December 17. Things should get back to a more normal routine then.

I can't believe I am still doing fall clean up in the yard. There is a break in the weather today, meaning no rain. I plan to cut back the perennials and dead annuals plus get the leaves out of the beds. My lucky and apparently wealthier then me neighbor had the arborist trimming his trees yesterday. Today he had the gardener back cleaning the rest of the leaves out of the bushes and beds. And yes, there is an element of "keeping up with the Jones" going on here. Before I start work in the yard, I need to take our dog in for his vaccinations and a toenail clip....a man's work is never done.
you have enough going on there Prime..if i look the part?.. i look like a trained 46 year old nothing special.. ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #173 on: December 06, 2012, 04:06:24 PM »
you have enough going on there Prime..if i look the part?.. i look like a trained 46 year old nothing special.. ;D

Better look around you, looking trained at 46 years old is something special.  :)

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #174 on: December 06, 2012, 04:14:53 PM »
Last night I trained chest, side delts, tris.  I have such bad DOMS in my back that it's hard to lift my arms above my head.  Putting on deodrant is a challenge even.   :-[  My body will adapt quickly though to training again so not too worried...the DOMS will lessen after a few workouts.

Incline db presses x 6 sets
db shoulder presses x4 sets
lateral raises x 4 sets
tricep pressdowns with V bar x 4 sets

Finished off with crunches x 4 sets totally 100 reps.

Got up this morning at 5am and did 60 mins of brisk walking.  Tonight is legs so I wanted to do my cardio earlier on in the day as I know that I won't be able to do cardio straight after leg training.  I plan to add more volume in to my leg workout.