Author Topic: The Mature thread  (Read 244205 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: mature Bodybuilding thread
« Reply #7350 on: June 27, 2015, 11:20:01 AM »
I train in my basement gym but I told the wife I've been away from commercial gyms for so long it might be fun to do it for a couple of months. For my birthday yesterday she got me a three month membership to a giant chain gym by my house. My best guess is that I will love it for a month. Tolerate it for a month and hate it the last month.  I do love working out in solitude but it's fun to use different equipment and a different environment. They gym is about 50% female.  ;)

On a different topic I stopped using supplements for years. I use to use everything. Whey isolate, creatine, vitamins and all the rest were used. When I stopped using I blamed every bad workout on not having my whey to build muscle. Just recently I caught the bug again. All the magazines are claiming you need extra protein to build muscle. I still don't know if I buy it.  I bought a whey isolate container and I noticed it's really going quickly.  Just found my son who is a runner read it's good for endurance athletes too and started using it. Damn that stuff is expensive.  >:(  ;D  

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7351 on: June 27, 2015, 11:35:02 AM »
I train in my basement gym but I told the wife I've been away from commercial gyms for so long it might be fun to do it for a couple of months. For my birthday yesterday she got me a three month membership to a giant chain gym by my house. My best guess is that I will love it for a month. Tolerate it for a month and hate it the last month.  I do love working out in solitude but it's fun to use different equipment and a different environment. They gym is about 50% female.  ;)

On a different topic I stopped using supplements for years. I use to use everything. Whey isolate, creatine, vitamins and all the rest were used. When I stopped using I blamed every bad workout on not having my whey to build muscle. Just recently I caught the bug again. All the magazines are claiming you need extra protein to build muscle. I still don't know if I buy it.  I bought a whey isolate container and I noticed it's really going quickly.  Just found my son who is a runner read it's good for endurance athletes too and started using it. Damn that stuff is expensive.  >:(  ;D  
I like quite workouts at Home too but in a Gym you are motivated to work harder because we all have that instinct to work harder when people are around us. Having said that i have some hard training workouts at Home too. Donīt bother wasting money on supplements. Can drink them for free in the Gym but i shit them out quicker than i can drink them :-X

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7352 on: June 27, 2015, 11:53:16 AM »
Do the Trainer Licence Rich that you wanted to do. Nice easy part time job for you. Probably can train there for free too like here. Best of both worlds.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #7353 on: June 27, 2015, 12:22:10 PM »

I LOVE THE GYM ENVIROMENT ,BUT THIS WEEK WILL BE 3 HOMEWORKOUTS OUT OF 5 ,HAPPENS I HAVE 3 KIDS AND WIFE WORKING WEEKEND NITE SHIFT'NURSE'SO DOWNSTAIRS I GO....TODAYS IS A PUMP WORKOUT TOTAL BODY TYPE...SUPPLEMENT WISE I USE WHEY/MULTI/CREATINE I CYCLE COUPLE TIMES YEAR CURRENTLY OFF IT,I USE A NO SUPPLEMENT 'PILL'FOR FULLER PUMPS ON TRAINING DAYS,GIVES GOOD COSMETIC ENHANCEMENT  :)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7354 on: June 28, 2015, 08:07:15 PM »
Tweaked my lower back on leg day. I thought it was just about bullet proof. My legs are weak from distance running and that might have had something to do with it. I started the workout with leg presses.  When I was just doing my warm ups for squats I had 205lbs on the bar and I think I bent over to compensate for my weak legs tweaking my back. Feels all out of wack. Next time I won't pre fatigue my thighs by doing leg presses prior. Lying flat on my back in bed barely moving with this thing. I hope I wake up better and not worst.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7355 on: June 29, 2015, 02:58:26 AM »
Tweaked my lower back on leg day. I thought it was just about bullet proof. My legs are weak from distance running and that might have had something to do with it. I started the workout with leg presses.  When I was just doing my warm ups for squats I had 205lbs on the bar and I think I bent over to compensate for my weak legs tweaking my back. Feels all out of wack. Next time I won't pre fatigue my thighs by doing leg presses prior. Lying flat on my back in bed barely moving with this thing. I hope I wake up better and not worst.
hope you feel better Rich... we are dropping like Flys .. was just at my Physio.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #7356 on: June 29, 2015, 05:36:31 AM »
rich get better/Donny hope u as well...

had a good week of workouts  but only 2 were at gym  :-\,,that pisses me off,tough schedule wife working weekend/kids..

legs at home  :P,,i have very limited leg workout I could do at home,and you all know my leg workouts are intense..so be it

I did extensions hi repped them and supersetted with dumbbell front squats x7 some sets I used wood board under feet
also did db between legs wide stance too x3
db lunges few steps forward and then did them backwards too x3

hams
supesetted standing leg curl 'theses I like cause in my gym we do not have one  :)'stiff legged db with 60's with feet elevated on wood board..x4

i'm actually kinda sore today ..

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7357 on: June 29, 2015, 05:46:53 AM »
rich get better/Donny hope u as well...

had a good week of workouts  but only 2 were at gym  :-\,,that pisses me off,tough schedule wife working weekend/kids..

legs at home  :P,,i have very limited leg workout I could do at home,and you all know my leg workouts are intense..so be it

I did extensions hi repped them and supersetted with dumbbell front squats x7 some sets I used wood board under feet
also did db between legs wide stance too x3
db lunges few steps forward and then did them backwards too x3

hams
supesetted standing leg curl 'theses I like cause in my gym we do not have one  :)'stiff legged db with 60's with feet elevated on wood board..x4

i'm actually kinda sore today ..
Change of pace/exercises did you good.. i remember using Iron boots at home for standing leg curls... ;D

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #7358 on: June 29, 2015, 06:06:11 AM »
Change of pace/exercises did you good.. i remember using Iron boots at home for standing leg curls... ;D
I GUESS,,BUT FOR LEGS A SMALL LOW CEILINGED NO AIR IS NOT MUCH MOTIVATION/FUN,,I STILL WORKED OUT THO MOST PEOPLE WOULD CHALK IT UP TO A MISSED WORKOUT ,,I CAN'T...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7359 on: June 29, 2015, 06:17:48 AM »
I GUESS,,BUT FOR LEGS A SMALL LOW CEILINGED NO AIR IS NOT MUCH MOTIVATION/FUN,,I STILL WORKED OUT THO MOST PEOPLE WOULD CHALK IT UP TO A MISSED WORKOUT ,,I CAN'T...
Ha...i know you canīt... get some music on and itīs better. the best thing to have is a window to open and real light fresh air. i remember a basement gym i had with two small windows(even had mesh to stop flies in summer).. air just rushed in.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #7360 on: June 29, 2015, 06:18:40 AM »
Ha...i know you canīt... get some music on and itīs better. the best thing to have is a window to open and real light fresh air. i remember a basement gym i had with two small windows(even had mesh to stop flies in summer).. air just rushed in.

I FORGOT I HAVE WINDOWS THERE  :o...DUH WONDER WHY I'M CHOKING DOWN THERE,,,LOL...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7361 on: June 29, 2015, 06:22:29 AM »

I FORGOT I HAVE WINDOWS THERE  :o...DUH WONDER WHY I'M CHOKING DOWN THERE,,,LOL...
in summer Barefoot,shorts no shirt. Can do what you want. I loved the Breeze coming in. Inbetween sets i looked outside.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7362 on: June 29, 2015, 12:13:33 PM »
Worked out in a commercial gym for the first time in years. Here are some of my random observations. The observations are in a rant style paragraph if you care to read.

I found the usual juicers talking "supplements" in hush tones. Some really strong guys doing squats. I can't lift the weight of my youth but damn I tried.  Surprised by the number of old people in there too. I trained way to fast in between sets. I guess I was just excited to be in the place and the weight used suffered but it was a good work out. I just winged it. No plan what so ever. Left the journal at home. Felt free. ;D  Used two different bicep machines after barbell curls. One was okay and one was actually pretty good. Noticed the gym atmosphere was really lacking. No one talking to each other except for two guys. I remember training in gyms where everyone knew each other and there were loud bs sessions going on between sets. They must have had 20 plus treadmills.  Almost all were being walked on. It's a beautiful sunny day in NJ. Why would you want to walk on a hamster wheel indoors?  Right off the bat the girl behind the counter is trying to set me up with a trainer. The trainers that I saw were 20 something girls or this one guy who was fat but I would wager his claim to fame is a big bench number.Too bad benching doesn't make you in shape. My bad shoulder limited me but I actually did  3 sets of dips. I heard my shoulder grind and make popping sounds. It loosened up by my second set. Some 50 something blonde woman kept looking at me like I was a ham sandwich. I tried to avoid eye contact and eventually she stopped trying to get my attention. She was actually not bad but I digress.  

Tomorrow I will be there doing chest and back. The place is so big I had trouble finding stuff.  I guess as I get use to it I will know where everything is. The place has a swimming pool and heavy bag room.  The heavy bag looks like crap but I'd hit it.  I've been in gyms where body part equipment is grouped together. I found that to be very useful. This gym has a seated calf in one place. The leg extension in another and so on. It's like a puzzle you have to figure out.  

Time for me to head to the park for a run. I lifted for delts and arms today. I'm a little shot but I'm shooting for 3 miles. 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7363 on: June 29, 2015, 12:18:12 PM »
Worked out in a commercial gym for the first time in years. Here are some of my random observations. The observations are in a rant style paragraph if you care to read.

I found the usual juicers talking "supplements" in hush tones. Some really strong guys doing squats. I can't lift the weight of my youth but damn I tried.  Surprised by the number of old people in there too. I trained way to fast in between sets. I guess I was just excited to be in the place and the weight used suffered but it was a good work out. I just winged it. No plan what so ever. Left the journal at home. Felt free. ;D  Used two different bicep machines after barbell curls. One was okay and one was actually pretty good. Noticed the gym atmosphere was really lacking. No one talking to each other except for two guys. I remember training in gyms where everyone knew each other and there were loud bs sessions going on between sets. They must have had 20 plus treadmills.  Almost all were being walked on. It's a beautiful sunny day in NJ. Why would you want to walk on a hamster wheel indoors?  Right off the bat the girl behind the counter is trying to set me up with a trainer. The trainers that I saw were 20 something girls or this one guy who was fat but I would wager his claim to fame is a big bench number.Too bad benching doesn't make you in shape. My bad shoulder limited me but I actually did  3 sets of dips. I heard my shoulder grind and make popping sounds. It loosened up by my second set. Some 50 something blonde woman kept looking at me like I was a ham sandwich. I tried to avoid eye contact and eventually she stopped trying to get my attention. She was actually not bad but I digress.  

Tomorrow I will be there doing chest and back. The place is so big I had trouble finding stuff.  I guess as I get use to it I will know where everything is. The place has a swimming pool and heavy bag room.  The heavy bag looks like crap but I'd hit it.  I've been in gyms where body part equipment is grouped together. I found that to be very useful. This gym has a seated calf in one place. The leg extension in another and so on. It's like a puzzle you have to figure out.  

Time for me to head to the park for a run. I lifted for delts and arms today. I'm a little shot but I'm shooting for 3 miles. 
I laughed at your post Rich.. in a positive way ;D

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7364 on: June 29, 2015, 01:19:16 PM »
2 hr w/o today mostly arms good pump for 63 yrs old...
F

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7365 on: June 29, 2015, 01:21:47 PM »

You might consider skipping squats for awhile, particularly heavy squats. Squats are a great exercise when they are done using perfect form. As you suggest, bending over while squatting can be murder on your lower back.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7366 on: June 29, 2015, 01:23:51 PM »
hope you feel better Rich... we are dropping like Flys .. was just at my Physio.

How did this go? Are you feeling any better yet? Physical therapy was a Godsend for me.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7367 on: June 29, 2015, 01:28:26 PM »
Here goes nothing! I am headed out to the gym for some cardio....and nothing else.

If you recall, the last time I hit the gym I lifted light and dialed my routine way back, or so I thought. I ended up in so much discomfort that I could barely move for almost a week.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7368 on: June 29, 2015, 02:23:38 PM »
How did this go? Are you feeling any better yet? Physical therapy was a Godsend for me.
Was great Jay and good to see you back my Friend  :) do that cardio

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #7369 on: June 29, 2015, 02:25:40 PM »
JAYS A GOOD GUY.HOPEFULLY EACH DAY IS HELPING/COPING/AND GETTING BRIGHTER..

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7370 on: June 29, 2015, 03:48:09 PM »
My lower back was sore but doing delts and arms didn't involve lower back to much. Anti inflammatory drugs were in me too.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7371 on: June 29, 2015, 04:25:07 PM »
Okay guys here's my report.

Cardio 20 minutes total, 10 minutes on treadmill and 10 minutes on stationary bike (my skinny quads actually got a little pumped doing this). Amazing!
While I was on the bike, I looked down at my arm to see that it was looking pretty vascular and whiter than I ever thought I could be. After the cardio, I tanned for 7 minutes in the fast tan bed.

I know this isn't much, but it's a start. Can't imagine I'll be at all sore. In the meantime my right leg and knee actually feel better....there is less pain than usual. Might have to add a few low weight leg presses and leg extensions tomorrow or Wednesday like I was doing when I had physical therapy.

My exercise over the weekend was a couple of dances on Friday night and lots of walking and stair climbing at the hotel during the three days at Conference. This also made my right leg feel better for awhile. It's pretty obvious I need to be exercising it.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7372 on: June 29, 2015, 04:31:45 PM »
Was great Jay and good to see you back my Friend  :) do that cardio

You'll have to remember to keep up with what you've been doing in physical therapy after your sessions are done. An occasional massage would be good too. Just be sure who ever you hire is a professional who knows what they are doing. In the states, professional massage therapists must be licensed by law. Clearly this does not include erotic massage.....darn! Anyway, men do better at giving deep tissue massage because it takes a fair amount of hand and arm strength to do it right.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #7373 on: June 29, 2015, 08:08:56 PM »
chest

inc db press..60-70-75-55 drop
hammer lying press.2 plates per side x2 and 2plates 25 drop to 2
dec db flye 40/45/50
cable crossoverrs x3
seated chest press x3

tris
skull crushers with premade curl bar 60/70/70 mixed reps 3 skulls then 3 press repeat/repeat scheme..good pump that way
overhead rope extensions x3
reverse padded dips on weighted chin up machine ,good made up exercise hits tris nice if u have machine to do it..x3
pushowns hi rep 15 x3 to finish

abs

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7374 on: June 30, 2015, 12:09:23 AM »
I was going to post a photo of skinny me, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I am loving how vascular my arms are though. I am determined to hit the 175 lb. mark soon. I think it might be the perfect natural weight for me, all things considered.