Author Topic: The Mature thread  (Read 232492 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: mature Bodybuilding thread
« Reply #7525 on: July 17, 2015, 08:23:44 AM »
Things are improving slowly.. i mean a Month ago my right arm just gave in completely...no strength. Really shocking. Now with the injections, Physio and cardio.. I believe cardio helps remove waste products in my joints and aids recovery.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7526 on: July 17, 2015, 08:27:00 AM »
his workouts are good,,i do a bit more volume..break up bodyparts push/pull or larger to small,,it all works as long as you do it .
Rich is a good Dude... i know him ages from Raw Iron Forum and Iron Age US... he is liked on Raw Iron. A very good poster who i often exchange mails with.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7527 on: July 17, 2015, 01:29:56 PM »
...theres is no common ground here to achieve,stay in your own corners and call it a day on any friendliness from the 2 of u...

I second this.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7528 on: July 17, 2015, 04:55:02 PM »
There are many ways to skin a cat. I have been influenced by Arthur Jones and Mike Mentzer in my youth.  I train right to edge of failure. As I age I see the folly of my ways but old habits die hard. I think it's also psychological too that if I don't push to the ragged edge I feel I'm not doing the proper manly work ethic. If you do your reps till your blue in the face then one or two sets is all you can do for an exercise. I do believe in the value of volume. I just can't bring myself to do it.

Trained legs today.

Squats 1 x 9 reps ( pulled a hip muscle again. Barbell squats are out)
Dumbbell squats 2 x 12 ( Went as low as possible. Couldn't have gone more than one inch deeper. For some reason it doesn't bother my hip.)
Leg press 2 x 12. ( This commercial leg press machine needs less plates than my home model)
Leg extension 2 x 12
Leg curls 2 x 12 (Lying down model. I just have a seated ham tractor type at home. This is way better)
Lady Abductor and adductor machine 2 x 12

Donkey calf machine 2 x 15
Seated calf 2 x 15

Ab coaster 2 x 23 20lbs added
Twisting ab machine 2 x 12 (felt incredible. Can't do this at home.)

Went home and trained neck

Gym observations:

There is a personal trainer that is incredibly ripped. He is not big and has been used in modeling work. He is about my size. While I use low sets and a heavy weight he uses low weight and quick sets. For dips I go really deep with a 25lb plate. He uses body weight. I do two sets to failure and he does many. He is ripped and I'm not. But hell, I'm enjoying a beer typing this and he's eating a dried out chicken breast.

Made eye contact with this girl who is really full of herself. She is the one that said she is tired of guys hitting on her. I quickly gave her my back and never looked at her again.

Remember the teenage power lifter who I told should have some kind of spotter rack or a guy spotting? What do I see today? He's doing his squats in the power cage with the safety bars in place. I never give out advice no matter what kind of crazy stuff I see but I had to tell this kid about this safety issue and he took my advice.

In the gym every day I see this guy who has one good arm and the other arm his forearm is missing. He also has a bad leg judging by his severe limp. He trains incredibly hard with all kinds of modifications. Judging by the way he talks with slurred speech I imagine he was in some kind of horrific accident. Maybe a car accident or military.  While I feel sorry for myself for my injuries (shoulders and a right foot I can barely walk on) I see him training and a little voice inside me says stop complaining.  Things can be so much worst. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7529 on: July 18, 2015, 12:09:13 AM »
You are making some very good observations.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7530 on: July 18, 2015, 02:42:38 AM »
There are many ways to skin a cat. I have been influenced by Arthur Jones and Mike Mentzer in my youth.  I train right to edge of failure. As I age I see the folly of my ways but old habits die hard. I think it's also psychological too that if I don't push to the ragged edge I feel I'm not doing the proper manly work ethic. If you do your reps till your blue in the face then one or two sets is all you can do for an exercise. I do believe in the value of volume. I just can't bring myself to do it.

Trained legs today.

Squats 1 x 9 reps ( pulled a hip muscle again. Barbell squats are out)
Dumbbell squats 2 x 12 ( Went as low as possible. Couldn't have gone more than one inch deeper. For some reason it doesn't bother my hip.)
Leg press 2 x 12. ( This commercial leg press machine needs less plates than my home model)
Leg extension 2 x 12
Leg curls 2 x 12 (Lying down model. I just have a seated ham tractor type at home. This is way better)
Lady Abductor and adductor machine 2 x 12

Donkey calf machine 2 x 15
Seated calf 2 x 15

Ab coaster 2 x 23 20lbs added
Twisting ab machine 2 x 12 (felt incredible. Can't do this at home.)

Went home and trained neck

Gym observations:

There is a personal trainer that is incredibly ripped. He is not big and has been used in modeling work. He is about my size. While I use low sets and a heavy weight he uses low weight and quick sets. For dips I go really deep with a 25lb plate. He uses body weight. I do two sets to failure and he does many. He is ripped and I'm not. But hell, I'm enjoying a beer typing this and he's eating a dried out chicken breast.

Made eye contact with this girl who is really full of herself. She is the one that said she is tired of guys hitting on her. I quickly gave her my back and never looked at her again.

Remember the teenage power lifter who I told should have some kind of spotter rack or a guy spotting? What do I see today? He's doing his squats in the power cage with the safety bars in place. I never give out advice no matter what kind of crazy stuff I see but I had to tell this kid about this safety issue and he took my advice.

In the gym every day I see this guy who has one good arm and the other arm his forearm is missing. He also has a bad leg judging by his severe limp. He trains incredibly hard with all kinds of modifications. Judging by the way he talks with slurred speech I imagine he was in some kind of horrific accident. Maybe a car accident or military.  While I feel sorry for myself for my injuries (shoulders and a right foot I can barely walk on) I see him training and a little voice inside me says stop complaining.  Things can be so much worst. 
Good post Rich. Reminds me of a woman i trained in the Gym. She was early 30īs and had a good trained body but always came in covering her arms even in hot weather. I trained her and saw burns on her lower arms as she exercised. i said, listen you should not be ashamed itīs better to show your arms and be yourself. She really did start coming in showing her arms and was much happier in general. A very nice woman.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7531 on: July 18, 2015, 07:59:10 AM »
I watched the ripped personal trainer fitness model working out between sets. He used 135lbs for sets of squats and the same weight for deatlifts. I would be embarrassed using that light a weight but hell it work for him.

I worked delt and arms today. In a rush to get to the beach. Maybe I will type it up later. Worked out really fast and it hurt the weight I used but I was working out hard due to the speed.   

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7532 on: July 18, 2015, 08:08:28 AM »
I watched the ripped personal trainer fitness model working out between sets. He used 135lbs for sets of squats and the same weight for deatlifts. I would be embarrassed using that light a weight but hell it work for him.

I worked delt and arms today. In a rush to get to the beach. Maybe I will type it up later. Worked out really fast and it hurt the weight I used but I was working out hard due to the speed.   
you get me a Beach Babe Rich and iīm coming over  :P

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #7533 on: July 18, 2015, 08:36:06 AM »
i have legs to day will post later ,,,but mark this in the book of stupid non related injuries,,,so i enjoyed the sun yesterday in back yard added some more browness ;D,,,and i was in a small recliner beach chair,,i've done this bebore no issue even though its not designed to do this i laid it all the way flat but i laid on stomach which ive done but its not comfortable but i was stubborn any way and i tucked my arms up'propped 'so i could read a magazine i did this a few time with arms,last night i felt tightness in elbo/tricep/forearm like i trained hard but 'over extended elbow'now i'm freaking hurting,i iced it and took moltrins,,,even my hand is tingling ,my arm hurts with any rotation and flexing ,,unbelievable...on a positive night going to see u2 at madison square garden nyc sun night 'love them...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7534 on: July 18, 2015, 08:47:30 AM »
i have legs to day will post later ,,,but mark this in the book of stupid non related injuries,,,so i enjoyed the sun yesterday in back yard added some more browness ;D,,,and i was in a small recliner beach chair,,i've done this bebore no issue even though its not designed to do this i laid it all the way flat but i laid on stomach which ive done but its not comfortable but i was stubborn any way and i tucked my arms up'propped 'so i could read a magazine i did this a few time with arms,last night i felt tightness in elbo/tricep/forearm like i trained hard but 'over extended elbow'now i'm freaking hurting,i iced it and took moltrins,,,even my hand is tingling ,my arm hurts with any rotation and flexing ,,unbelievable...on a positive night going to see u2 at madison square garden nyc sun night 'love them...
sorry to hear it Steve... I am sure/hope itīs just temporary.  music wise i liked the Undertones better. Do you also like stiff little fingers?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #7535 on: July 18, 2015, 08:58:37 AM »
sorry to hear it Steve... I am sure/hope itīs just temporary.  music wise i liked the Undertones better. Do you also like stiff little fingers?
never heard of them...

l listen to depeche mode
smiths
morrissey
clash
pet shop boys 'some of them'
u2 'my fave'
van halen'love them sammy/dave both good to me'

then of course softer side'sinatra/dean martin'most classic italian music english/italian favorites

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7536 on: July 18, 2015, 09:10:00 AM »
never heard of them...

l listen to depeche mode
smiths
morrissey
clash
u2 'my fave'

then of course softer side'sinatra/dean martin'most classic italian music english/italian favorites
Stiff little fingers were a contraversial band.. very controversial. I love Sinatra as you know. U2 i like too, i wrote this before but a guy i knew years ago knew Echo and the Bunnymen and the singer punched out Bono at a concert for being a tool...i canīt confirm this but the guy was a rode on tour with them.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7537 on: July 18, 2015, 12:21:48 PM »

From my point of view there is nothing embarrassing about lifting lighter weights. Maybe this is because I am working to be fit and ripped, like the personal trainer at your gym. It was hard to get myself in that mindset after decades of lifting as heavy as I could. I am glad I did though, because I feel so much better. Probably look better too.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7538 on: July 18, 2015, 12:24:27 PM »

What a guy will do just to get a little more tan. Hope the ice works for you.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7539 on: July 18, 2015, 12:31:17 PM »
never heard of them...

l listen to depeche mode
smiths
morrissey
clash
u2 'my fave'

The Undertones are known for punk rock/new wave that mostly performs in Europe. They have played all sorts of music though. http://www.theundertones.com/_/Home.html Although I like all genre of music, jazz and classical are my favorites.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: The Mature thread
« Reply #7540 on: July 18, 2015, 01:56:04 PM »
I guess this thread got moved from the history section?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #7541 on: July 18, 2015, 05:57:33 PM »
The Undertones are known for punk rock/new wave that mostly performs in Europe. They have played all sorts of music though. http://www.theundertones.com/_/Home.html Although I like all genre of music, jazz and classical are my favorites.
oh,,thanks jay,,me and donny both love the clash,,my town i grew up in claim to fame was having the band misfits start there rise into punk scene there,i grew up around the block from them,heard them jam in there garage as a kid...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7542 on: July 18, 2015, 06:53:38 PM »
oh,,thanks jay,,me and donny both love the clash,,my town i grew up in claim to fame was having the band misfits start there rise into punk scene there,i grew up around the block from them,heard them jam in there garage as a kid...

Seattle and more generally the Pacific N.W. is known for punk rock and especially grunge bands....think Nirvana among many others. Portland is also known for jazz.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
The Mature thread
« Reply #7543 on: July 18, 2015, 06:59:23 PM »

Two threads with essentially the same theme were combined, is my take on this.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #7544 on: July 18, 2015, 07:07:59 PM »
legs brutal push...nice day did a little laying out brush up some more color right jay lol...hot here..

did hammer v squat reversed to front squat done these 3 leg workouts in row,,warmed up plate and then plate and 25 per side,,,followed sets 2 plates/3 and 3 plates 25 per side,,i could have did 4 a side ,,repped 12-10 reps lowest

lying sled press 'stack with chain mechanism,theses are grear lying on back and push od sled,,180/200/240/260

walking kettle ball lunged up gym floor x2

extension 220/220/235/235

hams
lying leg curls 140/150/155/160
seated leg curls 180/195/195

calves
leg press calf raise x5
standing calf raise 200 x12 pigeon toed stance..

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
The Mature Thread
« Reply #7545 on: July 18, 2015, 08:05:37 PM »
This week was almost a bust. Almost because I made it to the gym today for the first time. Did my "new" usual routine. 25 minutes of cardio, combo treadmill and stationary bike. Then I worked chest, arms and abs. 3 sets of 10 on chest and arms and 3 sets of 12 on abs. Still keeping the weight light, but I did up it 20 lbs. on Chest and 10 lbs. on arms. Man were my veins popping at the end of the routine. It would be cool if they'd look like that all the time.

My car with 138,000 miles on it decided to have a couple of major things go wrong. There was a hole in the exhaust manifold which on the Mazda is attached to the catalytic converter. The part was over $1,000. The check engine light indicated it was a sensor that was bad, turns out it was even though it originally checked out okay. I had them do a couple of other regular maintenance things including a transmission flush. When all was said and done this cost me a little over $3,000. The car is only worth about $4,500. A new car runs around $30,000 for anything modest, but also a little fun. I was thinking of a Mazda 3 five door hatchback, a Mini Cooper, Subaru Impreza 5 door hatchback, VW Golf 5 door hatchback or wagon or the 2016 Fiat 500X. They all cost about the same with the options I would want. The one with the most power is the Mazda. This is the car my daughter thinks I should get. 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7546 on: July 19, 2015, 01:31:34 AM »
no this thread stays here, just someone playing games again. Getting very childish if you ask me, still has no influence over here so post on here in the history section.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: The Mature Thread
« Reply #7547 on: July 19, 2015, 08:51:38 AM »
This week was almost a bust. Almost because I made it to the gym today for the first time. Did my "new" usual routine. 25 minutes of cardio, combo treadmill and stationary bike. Then I worked chest, arms and abs. 3 sets of 10 on chest and arms and 3 sets of 12 on abs. Still keeping the weight light, but I did up it 20 lbs. on Chest and 10 lbs. on arms. Man were my veins popping at the end of the routine. It would be cool if they'd look like that all the time.

My car with 138,000 miles on it decided to have a couple of major things go wrong. There was a hole in the exhaust manifold which on the Mazda is attached to the catalytic converter. The part was over $1,000. The check engine light indicated it was a sensor that was bad, turns out it was even though it originally checked out okay. I had them do a couple of other regular maintenance things including a transmission flush. When all was said and done this cost me a little over $3,000. The car is only worth about $4,500. A new car runs around $30,000 for anything modest, but also a little fun. I was thinking of a Mazda 3 five door hatchback, a Mini Cooper, Subaru Impreza 5 door hatchback, VW Golf 5 door hatchback or wagon or the 2016 Fiat 500X. They all cost about the same with the options I would want. The one with the most power is the Mazda. This is the car my daughter thinks I should get. 
Subaru is an awesome little car, all wheel drive and easily under 30K.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
The Mature Thread
« Reply #7548 on: July 19, 2015, 09:56:14 AM »
Subaru is an awesome little car, all wheel drive and easily under 30K.

Subaru is the signature car in the Pacific N.W. You see them everywhere. I call them Subarude because the drivers of them drive like they own the road. If I get one, I'll have to practice driving like that.  :D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7549 on: July 19, 2015, 10:49:15 AM »
Not training related, but...

My friend just bought a Sabaru Outback.  Any Subaru has 4 wheel drive, a great advantage in all types of weather and on narrow mountain roads. Put a surf/bike rack on top and he's ready to go.  The Forester  is a bit smaller, but same value. Any Subaru would be just about right for The Peoples Republic of Oregon and Washington. KIA, Hyundai and Fiat very good value, around here also. Toyota, Honda and VW......way over priced. Like your buying the name, along with the car.

Might try Edmunds.com if wanting to check out any car. Even a used one, but with Subaru the prices don't seem to drop that much from a brand new one. In SoCal, if searching around, might be surprise what good stuff  there is under $30,000.

I drive a Ford F150, perfect for me. A bumper winch, 4 ft jack and porta power I can go just about anywhere.  Fro the mountains, desert and ocean...and all close at hand.

Good Luck
F