Author Topic: My Aching BACK!!!  (Read 1740 times)

Robert E. Lee

• Getbig II
  • The South Shall Rise Again!
My Aching BACK!!!
« on: February 27, 2006, 11:48:09 PM »
Is it really possible to do heavy deads, squats, and bent rows/t-bar in the same split?  Seems like the lower back could never recover.  I've been told by powerlifters to only do deads every ten days, but if I do squats and bent rows in the same program, the erectors get used again.  Is it true the lower back is the slowest to recover, while biceps are the fastest?
The General

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: My Aching BACK!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 02:03:45 AM »
i dead 3 time in a week. the reason its so tough for you is that your are trying to make your back grow in size and strength. PLers are mainly only concerned with the latter.

also PLing is about cycling your weights, you are not always doing sets of 75-85% oy your 1rm like many BBuilders. they use different rep schemes etc which mean that the back is never torched for long periods of time etc.

i used to dead, chin and t bar in one day and it was fine for me. also about the biceps, when i usd to train them they would be so sore for 5-6 days, really tight, they also gre like weeds then i stopped doing them. shoulders for mr recover quite well. in fact i discovered the more you eat, even if lots is pure rubbich helps you recover so much more quickly and easily. hope this help a bit

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 07:45:44 AM »
Many people have a predisposition to back pain that has nothing to do with neglecting back exercises, in the same way that some people should avoid barbell bench presses and find better alternatives.

For those people, all those who religiously prescribe deads for virtually every muscle of the body couldn't be farther off. Instead, use deads sparingly or even find another exercise that's not as traumatic, such as hyperextensions.

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 08:05:14 AM »
if you have back pain you can do deads one week for back and legpress for legs. the next week squats for legs and something else for back so it's not always really sore.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 09:54:01 AM »
I'm not sure why everone thinks that they have to do regular DL's at all. If DL's seem to bother the lower back than do them in a power rack where the pins are set to just above knee level and start the exercise from there. That way you avoid the area from the floor to knee level which can put the most strain on the lower back for most people. The DL, including other things, is a   stablization (support) exercise for the upper body. You are  holding the bar while the legs are doing the actual movement (pushing off). The back & traps respond in strength and size just by their involvement in support of that weight. If you do the DL from knee level you should be using 50 to 100lbs over what you use in regular (from the floor) DL's.

GoodMorning's are a very important exercise when direct development and increasing power to the lower back is concerned. GM'ing will improve the DL and squating abilities for most all people. Work the abs just as strongly, for the lower back & abs are a key for all over power. I also include the SLDL, which to my way of thinking, is a superior exercise over the regular DL. My max SLDL is about a hundred lbs below my best DL.

I've worked heavy squats & DL's in the same workouts with favorable results. And sometimes three times a week. I've also done DL's with BB rows three time a week. Depends how the exercises are preformed. If too many sets are done in one workout than the recovery abilies can be overtaxed for the next workout. Good luck.

Robert E. Lee

• Getbig II
  • The South Shall Rise Again!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 10:24:51 PM »
Thnx for the good opinions guys.
The General

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 02:15:20 AM »
I think what JPM said makes a whole lot of sense. Good Mornings are a bitch though...lol

the king

• Getbig I
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 03:51:47 PM »
I think what JPM said makes a whole lot of sense. Good Mornings are a bitch though...lol

partials are a great idea and yes good mornings do leave the lower back vulnerable unless you check your ego at the door and don't get wrapped up in going too heavy