Author Topic: Romanian deadlifts  (Read 3898 times)

CDel19

• Getbig II
Romanian deadlifts
« on: June 24, 2015, 06:56:17 AM »
I do these once a week for lower back hamstring and trap development -i cant do full deadlifts due to injury-I am not really feeling them in my hams-where do most people feel these and any tips ?

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
Re: Romanian deadlifts
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 11:44:44 AM »
Do it slows and flex the muscles being trained while doing it make sure u always be thinking about the weight is suppose to tax the targeted muscle in every rep.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 08:15:51 AM »
Depends if your keeping the  total back, and most importantly the shoulders back, in a absolute straight line. If even a slight rounding of the shoulders, than the main focus of the exercise is lost and more stress is put on the small of the back (to be avoided at all ). With weights, usually just about a 90 degree range is done.

Keeping the chest out/lifted and the head back also helps with the proper performance of RD's. The back should be as flat as you can make it and the feet  about shoulder width apart. Remembering to keep the  standing weight on the heels and not on the toes, when using heavier weight.  All of the above will target the ham's quite well. Can use either a BB or DB for these.

A good warmup would be to put the toes on a 2X4/BB plate/whatever and work towards a good stretch. Suggest using the bar only for this style warmup. With a non weight warmup: clasp the hands behind the back, with toes on a 2X4, etc, and hold the bottom position for a few seconds, working for that stretch. These non weight movement can been done throughout the day to improve any tightness, or reduced ROM, of the hams and Hips/glutes.  These raised toes stretches seem also to have an affect on the calves, reducing tightness and overall improvement of shape and size.

Some find that RD's give a good stretch to the lats, even adding a bit of size. Don't see too many guy's doing lat stretches (of any kind) anymore, but were quite popular back in the day for bring out a sweep. Either two or one handed stretches were used. If wanting to try with RD's, might suggest a wider grip than the normal shoulder width grip.

Good Luck
F

CDel19

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 06:53:18 AM »
thank you !

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 07:57:00 AM »
Your Welcome.

And Good Luck.
F

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 03:48:57 PM »
Depends if your keeping the  total back, and most importantly the shoulders back, in a absolute straight line. If even a slight rounding of the shoulders, than the main focus of the exercise is lost and more stress is put on the small of the back (to be avoided at all ). With weights, usually just about a 90 degree range is done.

Keeping the chest out/lifted and the head back also helps with the proper performance of RD's. The back should be as flat as you can make it and the feet  about shoulder width apart. Remembering to keep the  standing weight on the heels and not on the toes, when using heavier weight.  All of the above will target the ham's quite well. Can use either a BB or DB for these.

A good warmup would be to put the toes on a 2X4/BB plate/whatever and work towards a good stretch. Suggest using the bar only for this style warmup. With a non weight warmup: clasp the hands behind the back, with toes on a 2X4, etc, and hold the bottom position for a few seconds, working for that stretch. These non weight movement can been done throughout the day to improve any tightness, or reduced ROM, of the hams and Hips/glutes.  These raised toes stretches seem also to have an affect on the calves, reducing tightness and overall improvement of shape and size.

Some find that RD's give a good stretch to the lats, even adding a bit of size. Don't see too many guy's doing lat stretches (of any kind) anymore, but were quite popular back in the day for bring out a sweep. Either two or one handed stretches were used. If wanting to try with RD's, might suggest a wider grip than the normal shoulder width grip.

Good Luck

A fantastic training advices. In fact doing them this way for all working sets, assuming you are using RDLs for hypertrophy, is probably the best way to do them - elevating the toes in relation to the heel increases the range of motion.

The best cue I have found for this movement is not to focus on dropping the the weight down as far as I can but pushing my hips back as far as I can without bending at the knees.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 05:10:18 PM »
I saw a YouTube video
I think it was Ed Coan and he talks about letting the barbell go away from your knees on the stretch portion
It really changes the feel
w

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 05:15:46 PM »
I saw a YouTube video
I think it was Ed Coan and he talks about letting the barbell go away from your knees on the stretch portion
It really changes the feel
really? intresting

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 01:37:54 AM »
really focus on the hams getting stretched duting the negatives..different people different approach..
as for me i just stick my glutes further out until i really feel my hams and then i get the weight up..
T