Author Topic: Stuff that didn't work...  (Read 17303 times)

ritch

• Getbig V
Stuff that didn't work...
« on: June 26, 2015, 03:21:39 PM »
OK, sitting here with 0 appetite, stomach is not taking food or even gatorade since I woke up. Not sure why, think it's the overtraining from recent experimentation. I know many laugh at the very idea as they feel over training does not exist.

So going against my better judgement, I gave it a try recently. Was doing just one bodypart but would train it to shits. Everything was getting hit every 10 days but having to train 3 days on, 1 off to have the luxury of training just one bodypart.

So I'd go giver hell for 30-60 min depending what was trained. It's nice to not have to train a given part when you're kinda tired from blasting the previous but I really think there is no other way.

So what type of stuff did you think up on your own that did not work out so well is my question? I really thought I was onto something when I came up with this plan but it always comes back to my prefered 4 way split over 7 days. 5 days in a week has you training 3 days in a row at some point and my cns just does not wanna follow.

I thought having left the party life I'd be ok, could do this but sucks to say I had a better body when going out, having fun (too much fun) taking a few days off to recover then get back at it in full swing.

Problem is, the recovery was taking too long, geez man, is this what it's like when you near the age of 40? Starting to understand Howards lack of motivation at times. Been doing this since the age of 12, so 26 years.

Discuss? (I literally can't do anything today, surprised I even cracked one off earlier, no idea even how I was able to, lol...)
?

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Re: Stuff that didn't work...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 03:48:39 PM »
I'm starting to come around to Rippetoe's "less is more" approach as you get into your 40's and beyond.

Still lift heavy to maintain the strength but keep the volume down and allow plenty of recovery days to protect the joints.

Like he says, "You are going to have sore joints when you get old, that's a fact of life, but you might as well be strong and have sore joints than be weak with sore joints"

He said he only deadlifts once every couple weeks and his squat routine is very similar to that.

Of course, Rippetoe clearly doesn't give a shit about his physique but that is just a matter of putting down the fork.

I can see being burned out on weight lifting if you've done it for 20 or 30 years like some of these guys but that is no reason to quit altogether if you can still maintain the benefits of strength training.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 04:42:35 PM »
I'm starting to come around to Rippetoe's "less is more" approach as you get into your 40's and beyond.

Still lift heavy to maintain the strength but keep the volume down and allow plenty of recovery days to protect the joints.

Like he says, "You are going to have sore joints when you get old, that's a fact of life, but you might as well be strong and have sore joints than be weak with sore joints"

He said he only deadlifts once every couple weeks and his squat routine is very similar to that.

Of course, Rippetoe clearly doesn't give a shit about his physique but that is just a matter of putting down the fork.

I can see being burned out on weight lifting if you've done it for 20 or 30 years like some of these guys but that is no reason to quit altogether if you can still maintain the benefits of strength training.

Quit? No so sure I could. I'm meant to weigh 175lbs or so near 6 feet tall, lol... just seems whenever I try new stuff (to remain open minded...) it never works but am not happy with the results from the work I put in.

And for sure stuff like squats and deads are best skipped a week here and there. I've always been a low volume person and POF type trainings are what work best for me. Why I try to seek other methods every now and then (about 3 times a year) is beyond me.

Not like I'm gonna gain 10-15lbs as I don't eat enough anyways...
?

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 02:34:50 PM »
i'm 37. Recovery is now a problem.
No matter what i try, it's impossible to do heavy dead on thurs and heavy squat on tues, what i used to do when i was 25.

what works for me is to manipulate the intensity and the volume.
one training i go for one heavy set of 5 with maximum weight, the next session will be something like 60% for 4 set of 10 with few rest.

gaining and maintaining strenght is a serious buisness after 40.
asstropin

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 04:11:25 AM »
I lift and do cardio sometimes 12 days in a row before needing a day off granted when I do this I sleep pretty much all Friday night Saturday's and Sunday's but still lift hard as I can. I just repeat chest tris, back bis shoulders, legs and abs calves every day until I need a day of my favorite is getting my 4 day split in twice in 7 days I'll hit shoulders very early am and rest and eat all day then legs pm once in a while but then I'll take the next day off

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 10:19:04 AM »
ive been training very moderate weights, 

recovery is much better, i dont think ill ever go back to training balls out , ever again .

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 10:52:34 AM »
ive been training very moderate weights, 

recovery is much better, i dont think ill ever go back to training balls out , ever again .

don't forget... It's working. For now... Often times when we stumble upon something new that works we say exactly what you are here, lol!

YOu will have to go back to higher intensity at one point or you will start to lose size.
?

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 01:51:04 PM »
A change in training always shocks new results for me.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 06:22:24 PM »
Here`s my ideal training scenario:

Mon.-Legs and Calves
Tues.- Chest & Abs
Wed.- Back  & Traps
Thurs.-Shoulders & Abs
Fri.-Arms & Forearms
Sat-REST
Sun.-REST

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 02:22:53 PM »
Nah....full body 1 to 1,5 hour. Twice a week will do. At least 2 rest days after the workout.
1,5 hours is not to long, forget about the 45 or 47 minutes crapp.

Don't fall in the split trap for at least a year, then do UB/LB for another 2 yrs.
Then speak to us again.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 05:17:45 AM »

Mon.-Legs and Calves
Tues.- Chest & Abs
Wed.- Back  & Traps
Thurs.-Shoulders & Abs
Fri.-Arms & Forearms
Sat-REST
Sun.-REST

Me,
Mon-arms
Tue-shoulders, traps
Wed-legs
Thur-back, light bi's
Fri-chest-light tri's
Sat-Sun-rest

my arms are always lagging but since I've changed to this routine they look the best they ever have.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 03:38:56 PM »

Mon.-Legs and Calves
Tues.- Chest & Abs
Wed.- Back  & Traps
Thurs.-Shoulders & Abs
Fri.-Arms & Forearms
Sat-REST
Sun.-REST
Not for a beginner, Wes....for you and me it sounds pretty good.

Pumpzilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 06:52:51 PM »
OK, sitting here with 0 appetite, stomach is not taking food or even gatorade since I woke up. Not sure why, think it's the overtraining from recent experimentation. I know many laugh at the very idea as they feel over training does not exist.

So going against my better judgement, I gave it a try recently. Was doing just one bodypart but would train it to shits. Everything was getting hit every 10 days but having to train 3 days on, 1 off to have the luxury of training just one bodypart.

So I'd go giver hell for 30-60 min depending what was trained. It's nice to not have to train a given part when you're kinda tired from blasting the previous but I really think there is no other way.

So what type of stuff did you think up on your own that did not work out so well is my question? I really thought I was onto something when I came up with this plan but it always comes back to my prefered 4 way split over 7 days. 5 days in a week has you training 3 days in a row at some point and my cns just does not wanna follow.

I thought having left the party life I'd be ok, could do this but sucks to say I had a better body when going out, having fun (too much fun) taking a few days off to recover then get back at it in full swing.

Problem is, the recovery was taking too long, geez man, is this what it's like when you near the age of 40? Starting to understand Howards lack of motivation at times. Been doing this since the age of 12, so 26 years.

Discuss? (I literally can't do anything today, surprised I even cracked one off earlier, no idea even how I was able to, lol...)

I did something similar when  I was training as a teen. I thought the harder and longer I trained, the better. Around 100 sets per body part. 1 body part a training session. I was as scrawny as shit. Now days I feel I get my best results from around 6 hard sets per body part.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2015, 12:03:43 AM »
I've used plenty different approaches in my 19yr in the trenches....and you don't look any better for doing more, all the guys hitting each body part twice or thrice a week will look exactly the same hitting it once. Its just OCD driving them on

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2015, 10:23:00 AM »
Local Hero...words of truth.  Though BB'ers don't always want the truth.

"I've used plenty different approaches in my 19yr in the trenches....and you don't look any better for doing more, all the guys hitting each body part twice or thrice a week will look exactly the same hitting it once. Its just OCD driving them on"

Once some BB'ers are forced to take two weeks, or so, off they tend to lose that muscular edge they worked so hard for, that continual pump may deflate a bit. Less is more in most training cases. The older you get the more recovery time will be needed,super diet, 'roids or any other PED's or not. The reason short and to the point workouts, with less workout days a week, most always prove the better road to take. But do take that workout to a point of serious intend while in the gym.

One elderly 70 year old gentleman, who post on GB, does up to 24 sets , on different exercises, for the back, some movements on Nautilus (3 phased intense) machines. Not being critical, anyone do what they wish, but reducing that to 6 sets (to the extreme 8 sets..once a week) may yield much. much better results. It's that age and recovery thing again, and even in the early forty's a little adjustment as to the volume one does in a single workout may be required, including the number of days a week you can train.

Older gentlemen may make a bit of progress, at first with higher volume which is usually a false pump anyway, but sooner or later the lack of proper rest between training sessions will catch up with them. Will affect the CNS first; dread the next workout, tired and mood changes about training.

Working out anymore than 3 times (max 4 times) a week can become self defeating in the end. Going to the point of making zero progress or even losing some muscle mass. If working on a 9 days a week scheme, that may be helpful to many older, or not so old, trainee's.

Good Luck.                
F

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2015, 03:45:25 PM »
I've used plenty different approaches in my 19yr in the trenches....and you don't look any better for doing more, all the guys hitting each body part twice or thrice a week will look exactly the same hitting it once. Its just OCD driving them on
Thinky on you are right....but in the long run once every 5 days could produce faster gains.....

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2015, 02:01:49 PM »

That's my take on it as well.

Training any bodypart more than once a week did not improve anything for me.

Crossfit burned me down bad.  I did a hybrid CF training style last year and after 3 months I went back to circuit MMA style training.  I don't see how the CF people aren't injured year-round.

Oddly enough, I look the same training MMA/circuit style as I did lifting like a bodybuilder; I'm just a little smaller.

8)