Author Topic: Hernia?  (Read 6297 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: Hernia?
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 07:43:21 AM »
All surgeries have risks infection, reaction to anesthetic, reoccurrence etc...  In theory all could be deadly too.  It all comes down to the numbers.  It sounds like you needed the surgery.  I realize that my condition will never get better but some small hernias don't progress. I hope I don't need surgery but I'll do what the surgeon advises.

Thank you for your feedback I found it very helpful.

Well, yeah, ALL surgeries have risks. That I know. I thought you meant there was something very specific to hernia repair.

I suspect that if you do certain movements that put strain on that area, it will only get worse.
X

OAK

• Getbig V
  • "Let Putin do whatever the HELL he wants!"
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2015, 07:48:10 AM »
I had a mesh repair and get slight pain as well. Usually after I do really heavy leg press, or for some reason lying leg curls. It only started doing that in the last 5 months or so, and my surgery was 4 years ago. According to my doc, mesh repairs only have a 1% chance of recurrence.

Ok.  That's good to know.  I'm not too worried about the pain as long as it doesnt reoccur after the surgery.  It's amazing there's almost no reliable information on the internet about weight training and hernias.  Almost everything I've read recommends never to lift weights again.  Even after surgery.  That's a bit hard for me to take.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 07:48:24 AM »
I had a mesh repair and get slight pain as well. Usually after I do really heavy leg press, or for some reason lying leg curls. It only started doing that in the last 5 months or so, and my surgery was 4 years ago. According to my doc, mesh repairs only have a 1% chance of recurrence.

Yeah, I sometimes get pain down there. Perhaps its the scar tissue. But I read this is not uncommon.
X

OAK

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2015, 07:53:15 AM »
Well, yeah, ALL surgeries have risks. That I know. I thought you meant there was something very specific to hernia repair.

I suspect that if you do certain movements that put strain on that area, it will only get worse.

That's the question I would like to get answered.  Large hernias will get worse over time but small ones may not.  I'll have to wait and see I guess.  The one good thing about Canada's health care system is that they'll never rush doing a surgery...wait times are too long.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 07:54:05 AM »
Ok.  That's good to know.  I'm not too worried about the pain as long as it doesnt reoccur after the surgery.  It's amazing there's almost no reliable information on the internet about weight training and hernias.  Almost everything I've read recommends never to lift weights again.  Even after surgery.  That's a bit hard for me to take.

Hernia Center of Southern California

http://www.herniaonline.com/

WEIGHT LIFTERS
One day after surgery we recommend walking for one hour per day. After two to three days of this is increased to two hours per day.

Day five: You may make your first trip to the gym. You may use light free weights or machines at minimal tension. This is done to maintain your flexibility. You should not lift over forty pounds the first month. We use you personal toning weight as a guide.

WEEK 4: You may lift 25% of your toning weight.

WEEK 5: You may lift 50% of your toning weight.

WEEK 6: You may lift 75% of your toning weight.

WEEK 7: You may lift your toning weight.

WEEK 8: You may lift without restriction.
X

OAK

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 07:56:49 AM »
Hernia Center of Southern California

http://www.herniaonline.com/

WEIGHT LIFTERS
One day after surgery we recommend walking for one hour per day. After two to three days of this is increased to two hours per day.

Day five: You may make your first trip to the gym. You may use light free weights or machines at minimal tension. This is done to maintain your flexibility. You should not lift over forty pounds the first month. We use you personal toning weight as a guide.

WEEK 4: You may lift 25% of your toning weight.

WEEK 5: You may lift 50% of your toning weight.

WEEK 6: You may lift 75% of your toning weight.

WEEK 7: You may lift your toning weight.

WEEK 8: You may lift without restriction.

Wow.  Light weights at day 5.  That's amazing.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 07:59:09 AM »
Wow.  Light weights at day 5.  That's amazing.

To be honest, I thought that was a little suspect. I was still having problems walking after a week, let alone lifting weights. Unless they do a different type of hernia surgery that is less invasive.
X

V Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2015, 04:18:56 PM »
To be honest, I thought that was a little suspect. I was still having problems walking after a week, let alone lifting weights. Unless they do a different type of hernia surgery that is less invasive.

Yeah, I wasn't allowed to lift for 6 weeks. After about 4, I felt as though I could've done some light lifting but to be safe I waited the full six weeks. I remember the first week feeling like I was kicked in the nuts constantly.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2015, 05:34:25 PM »
You guys must have genetically weak abs or something.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2015, 06:11:34 PM »
You guys must have genetically weak abs or something.

Well, yeah. 4 men in my family had hernias.
X

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2015, 06:21:50 PM »
Well, yeah. 4 men in my family had hernias.
Yah, thats what I figured.  Its one of those things where the ab wall is just not genetically capable of sustaining such stress. 

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2015, 06:23:15 PM »
Yah, thats what I figured.  Its one of those things where the ab wall is just not genetically capable of sustaining such stress. 
X2
If only there were a way to strengthen this "ab wall" beyond that of nature.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2015, 07:18:29 PM »

Nope. That is why I try to avoid any exercises that I feel put an extreme stress on that area.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2015, 07:20:24 PM »
X2
If only there were a way to strengthen this "ab wall" beyond that of nature.

Depends. If someone is HIGHLY susceptible to a condition, there is little that can be done. Genetic testing has revealed this in certain disorders--the high likelihood of developing a condition, independent of environmental influences.

The way hernias run in my family, I was pretty much primed to get one. Hell, my uncle had a hernia and he never lifted weights. Same with my grandpa, and he had 3 of them!
X

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2015, 08:53:15 PM »
Depends. If someone is HIGHLY susceptible to a condition, there is little that can be done. Genetic testing has revealed this in certain disorders--the high likelihood of developing a condition, independent of environmental influences.

The way hernias run in my family, I was pretty much primed to get one. Hell, my uncle had a hernia and he never lifted weights. Same with my grandpa, and he had 3 of them!
Link to these peer reviewed genetic tests?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2015, 08:54:51 PM »

all humans have genetically weak abs. It comes from evolution. take a look at historical occurrences of hernias.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2015, 08:56:50 PM »
I had an inguinal hernia some years back. Mesh repair. Worked well. Felt terrible for over 6 months. To this day if I twist suddenly i feel the mesh pulling and it's not pretty.

BTW got the hernia doing sumo style dead lifts. As soon as I came out of the hole I felt the ripping.

nattybay

• Getbig II
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2015, 09:04:26 PM »
Hey guys!  Just found out that I have a small inguinal hernia.  No pain at all.  Of course the Doctor told me not to lift weights until I see a surgeon, but that could be months.  Has anyone had this problem and did you still workout with it?

Oak

Get it operated asap
You can start working on machines within a month with very light weight for the pump with very high reps like around 30-40 each set..lol

OAK

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2015, 08:34:27 PM »
So I finally saw a surgeon this week (2 months later).  Said I have a small hernia.  He then says 10 years ago all hernias were repaired (as I had read) but nowadays things are different.  Some surgeons would repair my hernia some would not.  He then says my hernia "probably" should be repaired.  I now have to wait 8 months to get the surgery done, but in the meantime I have no restrictions and can lift weights as I always have and it won't make it worse.

I'm leaning towards not getting it done.  Anyone have a similar experience?

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2015, 08:42:40 PM »
Hey guys!  Just found out that I have a small inguinal hernia.  No pain at all.  Of course the Doctor told me not to lift weights until I see a surgeon, but that could be months.  Has anyone had this problem and did you still workout with it?

Oak
meat eating  possibly, eat veggies 4 recovery
A

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Yes. Your retarted.
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2015, 08:49:56 PM »
So I finally saw a surgeon this week (2 months later).  Said I have a small hernia.  He then says 10 years ago all hernias were repaired (as I had read) but nowadays things are different.  Some surgeons would repair my hernia some would not.  He then says my hernia "probably" should be repaired.  I now have to wait 8 months to get the surgery done, but in the meantime I have no restrictions and can lift weights as I always have and it won't make it worse.

I'm leaning towards not getting it done.  Anyone have a similar experience?

I got one (inguinal) when I was around 13-15.  I told nobody about it until I was 17.  By then, it was out of control (I didn't lift so that didn't do it), pushing on my urinary tract and making me piss my pants when I put my dick back after peeing if I was not careful.  I finally copped to it to my parents and was in surgery not long after.  (Mesh).

I have no idea how I got it.  When I sneezed, it would violently pop out and it still to this day makes my skin crawl when I think of that feeling.

Things have been ok since the surgery.  When you've lived for years with one, you will always protect that area and from my experience, lifting weight has never really caused any issues that threatened the integrity of the area.

Proceed with caution but as I say, I lift weight without much fear.

I wouldn't want to live with one, myself - but mine was never small.

mame09

• Getbig III
  • its simple if it jiggles its fat
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2015, 05:17:06 AM »
i just got my hernia repaired on monday. ive had it my whole life in my belly button.
they were initially gonna put mesh but when they opened me up it wasnt that big they stitched it back up.
doc said dont do any heavy lifting for 2 months so i started walking after a couple of days
great thing about mine is there is no scars and they used self absorbing stitches

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2015, 06:13:37 AM »
I wish I could say that I got a hernia lifting heavy in the gym.  It's actually a very embarrassing story.  A week ago my wife got me one of those "Squatty Potty" stools that's supposed to reduce your chances of getting a hernia while going to the bathroom.  Ironically...it gave me a hernia.  :(

;D
"

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2015, 06:18:02 AM »
I suspect a tendency for hernias is a result of inbreeding
"

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2021, 03:08:39 PM »
So I finally saw a surgeon this week (2 months later).  Said I have a small hernia.  He then says 10 years ago all hernias were repaired (as I had read) but nowadays things are different.  Some surgeons would repair my hernia some would not.  He then says my hernia "probably" should be repaired.  I now have to wait 8 months to get the surgery done, but in the meantime I have no restrictions and can lift weights as I always have and it won't make it worse.

I'm leaning towards not getting it done.  Anyone have a similar experience?

Oak what happened with this hernia?

Why were you asking Getbig for advice when you’re a medical professional ?