Author Topic: For Skorpio And Other Horologists  (Read 5158 times)

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
Re: For Skorpio And Other Horologists
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2015, 01:56:54 PM »
People also dont realize that rolex is one of the only watches that dont really lose value.rolex for the win.

Automation

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2015, 02:04:48 PM »
Here's the deal my friends.  'Swiss Made' refers to being assembled in Switzerland but little do people know that the majority of components of these fine Swiss watches are made in china.  Your precious Rolex is about 50% or more Chinese parts.  The Bezel, face, hands etc...  all made in China.  Shipped to Switzerland and assembled there to make it Swiss Made.  Those $100K Tourbillons are coming out of a factory in China that's making the flying tourbillon and sending it to Switzerland. 

Chinese made knock offs can consist of 10-50% real parts.  There's a $20 Chinese Rolex and a $500 Chinese Rolex you can buy from the right source.  The difference?  The $500 one may have a legit band, legit bezel, legit face and some of the internals are legit.  It's just the world we live in today.

Rolex makes virtually everything in-house as a totally vertically integrated manufacturer. As of right now, the only major parts that Rolex doesn't make for all of their watches are the synthetic sapphire crystals and many of the dial hands (though I have a feeling the latter will change in the next several years). Rolex produces their own gold, cases, bracelets, dials, bezels, and movements in-house with incredible efficiency and quality.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/10-things-know-rolex-makes-watches/

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2015, 02:14:31 PM »
doesnt make a lot of sense why they would need parts from china, not worth it.

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2015, 03:05:25 PM »
I have one nice watch and one cheap watch.

It's just a minor accessory. It's not my identity - my whole life doesn't hinge on whether I'm wearing the nice watch or the cheap one - it doesn't make a damn bit of difference to me how my day will turn out. I'm still going to make the same money, eat and drink the same foods, go to the same places, bang the same chicks, rub elbows with the same people, go home to the same house, etc.

Buy what you want to buy because you want to buy it and can afford it. Not because you're compelled to spend yourself into the poor house or do without more important things because you're obsessed with trying to impress people.
A

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2015, 03:54:53 PM »
Here's the deal my friends.  'Swiss Made' refers to being assembled in Switzerland but little do people know that the majority of components of these fine Swiss watches are made in china.  Your precious Rolex is about 50% or more Chinese parts.  The Bezel, face, hands etc...  all made in China.  Shipped to Switzerland and assembled there to make it Swiss Made.  Those $100K Tourbillons are coming out of a factory in China that's making the flying tourbillon and sending it to Switzerland. 

Chinese made knock offs can consist of 10-50% real parts.  There's a $20 Chinese Rolex and a $500 Chinese Rolex you can buy from the right source.  The difference?  The $500 one may have a legit band, legit bezel, legit face and some of the internals are legit.  It's just the world we live in today.

Not Rolex, even the stainless Steele and gold is in house....they have their own Gold Foundry and they use a different type of stainless Steele also fully worked inhouse.The ceramic bezels are all also manufactured from scratch in house.

Nothing in Rolex is made in China.
S

BodyMachine

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2015, 09:47:25 PM »
anyone have a link to a nice used submariner for a good price. there are a ton of watch sites but I only know Omegas, what should one look for in a sub?

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2015, 11:58:36 PM »

This is highly inaccurate. Rolex is entirely inhouse.

Rolex is very hard to include real parts on a fake watch. Dials aren't compatible with the cheapo chinese movements. They also wont work with high quality Swiss ETA movements either.

The 100k tourbillons are milled and assembled, in Geneva.... by hand.

The high end watch business is not the same as other high end "paying for the name" type industries.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2015, 01:20:25 AM »
anyone have a link to a nice used submariner for a good price. there are a ton of watch sites but I only know Omegas, what should one look for in a sub?

If you're in the UK go to Hatton Garden and sit with seasoned second hand watch dealers...I always have a good time there although I rarely buy used. The guys are propper old school cockneys and the way they do business is very refreshing....you also get to see the watch in the flesh and try it on.
S

Hypo

• Getbig III
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2015, 02:29:51 AM »
Two watches hold their value: Patek and Rolex. Rolex is a brand unto itself. They don't make popular dress watches, that's what a Patek is for.

There are other watches that have significance but nothing like almost all Rolex models. For instance, Omega Speedmaster.

When you own a Rolex, you own something that will always be in demand. When you wear a model you like, you will realise that.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2015, 02:52:18 AM »
The first Omega I bought was a Seamaster, and although I have always wanted to have a small collection of watches, it was partly an investment or a way to hold some value. It cost me a couple of grand as it was pre-owned and a year old, and is still worth close to that YEARS later.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2015, 03:05:16 AM »
I'm working towards a Greubel Forsey.....within 5 yrs Providing my bitcoin investments deliver and xxxl coffins business takes off.
S

Simple Simon

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2015, 03:07:35 AM »
I'm working towards a Greubel Forsey.....within 5 yrs Providing my bitcoin investments deliver and xxxl coffins business takes off.

What a ridiculous looking timepiece

Automation

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2015, 03:18:22 AM »
What a ridiculous looking timepiece

Agree. LLS.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2015, 05:01:56 AM »
The first Omega I bought was a Seamaster, and although I have always wanted to have a small collection of watches, it was partly an investment or a way to hold some value. It cost me a couple of grand as it was pre-owned and a year old, and is still worth close to that YEARS later.

I have one of those. Omega still makes some of the nicest bracelets in the watch biz.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2015, 05:32:28 AM »
unless youre looking to sell your watch who cares if it holds value

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2015, 05:41:37 AM »

Spoken like a true timex connisseur.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2015, 05:51:59 AM »
as long as something holds value lets put our money into it... make sense. were not talking earning money here not just losing it, putting it away so we cant use it... smart.
some seller not only sold you the watch but that idea as well.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2015, 05:57:00 AM »
as long as something holds value lets put our money into it... make sense. were not talking earning money here not just losing it, putting it away so we cant use it... smart.

You sound like the type of guy who takes his watch off to have a wank, and comes on his face.

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2015, 05:57:30 AM »
im what you call a serial watch flipper and ive bought and sold prob 50 rolexes and never lost a dime on any of them,so holding value is a big deal as watches are very addicting.Thats like saying if i buy a car to keep it who cares if it holds its value,at some point you will sell it to fund something you like more.

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2015, 06:02:02 AM »

If you enjoy something and it holds balue id say thats pretty damn good.Its not a house that might lose or lose or gain.but its a watch that will hold its value,find another hobby where what you buy holds its value.Rolex is a wise investment as far as buying things for yourself.There will always be a demand for rolex so your koney ia safe.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2015, 06:04:33 AM »
sounds tiresome.
im glad i have better things to do than buy and sell my watch.

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2015, 06:13:16 AM »
sounds tiresome.
im glad i have better things to do than buy and sell my watch.

Has nothing to do with having better things to do,i do it for fun and cause i love rolex watches.Its a fun hobby.I usually make money as well as get the watch i want.So its a very enjoyable thing to do.Then when im tired of that watch i flip it for what i like next.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2015, 06:48:12 AM »
Same here...when I fancy a change I flip one or two of my watches and get a new one...On two occasions I made over 500 profit for wearing a watch for nearly two years.
S

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2015, 07:09:59 AM »
fair enough.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2015, 07:13:57 AM »