Author Topic: For Skorpio And Other Horologists  (Read 5159 times)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
For Skorpio And Other Horologists
« on: July 15, 2015, 11:06:12 AM »
People justifying their purchase of this

Stunning watch, light weight with Seiko hackable movement. Who needs Swiss watches when China can produce this? Looks heavey but is light due to the titanium.

when it comes to a wrist watch i am fussy. for years i wanted a rolex but when i discovered the usury price they sell for i decided to take my business else where. This watch is well made, attractive and competitively priced. If you like green you can get the same watch for 70 dollars less. I guess as another customer said this is the Chinese rolex for 95% less.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
Re: For Skorpio...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 11:08:11 AM »
Fine Chinese movement.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
Re: For Skorpio And Other Horologists
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 11:13:24 AM »
Ok here's my take...

There's two types of people. Those who give a shit about fine time pieces and those who don't. I'm absolutely fine with both, this will determine whether you will either justify a Rolex one day or wear whatever you come across for functionality or "you like the look off"

But these morons are comparing this chinky junk to Rolex and acting like watch connaisseurs that's like saying you're passionte about racing horses then you go and buy a mule and try to convince yourself it's a better animal on the course.
S

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 11:16:35 AM »
Ok here's my take...

There's two types of people. Those who give a shit about fine time pieces and those who don't. I'm absolutely fine with both, this will determine whether you will either justify a Rolex one day or wear whatever you come across for functionality or "you like the look off"

But these morons are comparing this chinky junk to Rolex and acting like watch connaisseurs that's like saying you're passionte about racing horses then you go and buy a mule and try to convince yourself it's a better animal on the course.

I think that I have mentioned this before, but there is an enormous correlation between "watch guys" and "gun guys". Most gun guys also have a huge collection of expensive watches. I think that it's the love of fine mechanical movements.

Stephano

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 11:16:50 AM »
Ok here's my take...

Why would anybody "give a shit about fine time pieces"?  Genuinely curious.  Besides its appearance, what does a Rolex offer that another watch doesn't?  Social signalling, maybe?

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 11:17:50 AM »
Ok here's my take...

The second guy considers himself "fussy" about wrist watches and  for years always wanted a Rolex, until he found out the ursury price for one. Now, if one is "fussy about watches" and always wanted a Rolex, wouldn't one have taken a look at the prices all those years when he wanted one? Just a look to see what they are going for?

We all try to justify our purchases or decisions, it's just the lack of logic that some people tend to exhibit when doing so.

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 11:20:47 AM »
The most impotant thing is time so if you value time like i do you wear a fine swiss watch.Rolex happens to be my favorite.if you dont no big deal i like watches and people that dont get it just cant believe people spend so much money on watches.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 11:38:40 AM »
Ok here's my take...

Audemars Piguet , Jaeger LeCoultre , Patek , A. Lange & Sohne , I would put Ulysee Nardin above Rolex. Rolex isn't in their league

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 11:43:24 AM »
Audemars Piguet , Jaeger LeCoultre , Patek , A. Lange & Sohne , I would put Ulysee Nardin above Rolex. Rolex isn't in their league

Where does Jiusko fit in that pantheon?

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 11:45:20 AM »
Where does Jiusko fit in that pantheon?

lol Right below Seiko

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 11:50:02 AM »
Why would anybody "give a shit about fine time pieces"?  Genuinely curious.  Besides its appearance, what does a Rolex offer that another watch doesn't?  Social signalling, maybe?

Why would someone buy a painting for hundreds of thousands yet to someone else it's just a scribble of paint on a canvass.

A watch is a piece of jewellery and some people appreciate the history and the complexity behind it as well as status I guess. I don't think it's a money show off think cos real watch fans don't buy huge diamond encrusted pieces but stick with traditional historic models that probably cost more yet look ambiguous.
S

nicorulez

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 11:52:58 AM »

ND I am considering a Hublot. Beautiful watch. I also like the Ulysse Nardin. What say you my man?

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 11:55:17 AM »
i dont have the wrist strenght to wear those beasts, but im working on it (wrist curls, reverse wrist curls, rolling thunder etc)

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 11:56:51 AM »
which watch is this and how much does it cost?

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 12:01:53 PM »

No it isn't

But Rolex is a well respected brand with more history than most watches .Of all the brands you listed it holds the best resale value.it was made famous by iconic people over time, Paul Newman with Daytonas, Fidel Castro and Che owned GMTs Saddam Hussein date just, Warren buffet solid gold date just....Magnum PI made.I grew up watching had a GMT pepsi permanently on his wrist.

For your list someone else could come and say Greubel Forsey and Richard Mille are much better....it depends on how much you like watches how much you want to spend. Personally I would buy all those watches you listed and I will eventually if my business ventures materialise.
S

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 12:03:27 PM »
which watch is this and how much does it cost?

Without Googling looks like a Chopard racing edition in rose gold......I'd say around £12k roughly.
S

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 12:04:56 PM »
dont forget the current iconic people who makes it famous

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 12:06:22 PM »
this is how you know you have an unhealthy obsession with watches - you notice the watch in this photo  :D

Automation

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 12:06:39 PM »
Without Googling looks like a Chopard racing edition in rose gold......I'd say around £12k roughly.

Whatever it is, it is fucking hideous. Would lose half its value as soon as you left the shop.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 12:08:36 PM »
No it isn't

But Rolex is a well respected brand with more history than most watches .Of all the brands you listed it holds the best resale value.it was made famous by iconic people over time, Paul Newman with Daytonas, Fidel Castro and Che owned GMTs Saddam Hussein date just, Warren buffet solid gold date just....Magnum PI made.I grew up watching had a GMT pepsi permanently on his wrist.

For your list someone else could come and say Greubel Forsey and Richard Mille are much better....it depends on how much you like watches how much you want to spend. Personally I would buy all those watches you listed and I will eventually if my business ventures materialise.
Let's also not forget Steve McQueen will always be tied to the Tag Heuer Monaco

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 12:09:22 PM »
I believe it's spelled "whoreologist".

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2015, 12:09:36 PM »
No it isn't

I personally like the sub-mariner , it's a classic and often copied.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2015, 12:17:44 PM »
how can you go through life as a free man and wear a watch?
i would think that a surfer on the beach in hawaii doesnt wear a watch for example.
but for the japanese businessman, he  needs it.

isnt a watch kinda like having to wear a suit?

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2015, 01:31:25 PM »
dont forget the current iconic people who makes it famous

I totally see your point gamechanger....but this is a result of generation nothingness, pointless people become famous and rich unlike the old days it was real business men or real talent. We grew up on clint eastwood, Charles bronson...etc anyone on tv and famous was a heavy weight handsome man or staggeringly beautiful woman, now we have kardashians and what not. Even our bodybuilders were legends, the kais and phils don't stand an ounce of worth next to serge and arnold and the rest of the crew, they even dressed better and spoke better and acted like real man with class.
S

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2015, 01:40:11 PM »
Here's the deal my friends.  'Swiss Made' refers to being assembled in Switzerland but little do people know that the majority of components of these fine Swiss watches are made in china.  Your precious Rolex is about 50% or more Chinese parts.  The Bezel, face, hands etc...  all made in China.  Shipped to Switzerland and assembled there to make it Swiss Made.  Those $100K Tourbillons are coming out of a factory in China that's making the flying tourbillon and sending it to Switzerland. 

Chinese made knock offs can consist of 10-50% real parts.  There's a $20 Chinese Rolex and a $500 Chinese Rolex you can buy from the right source.  The difference?  The $500 one may have a legit band, legit bezel, legit face and some of the internals are legit.  It's just the world we live in today.