Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 409097 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #1825 on: November 11, 2016, 04:40:08 PM »
I remember when the Short class winner of Mr. Universe in 1975 Wilf Sylvester said he only did 400 reps of no weight free hand squats along with leg extentions/leg curl for the contest.  Never heard of a bodybuilder doing body weight squats for a contest before.

I'm a firm believer in using good form. It is easier to maintain this when not lifting maximum weights. Also, at some point bodybuilders upper body's carry so much poundage that it works their legs anyway and added weight may not be so necessary.

I did another session of Sylvester's leg routine last night. Man o' man, did I notice the soreness this morning.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1826 on: November 14, 2016, 03:22:13 PM »
Back and chest:

Pull ups 3 x max (These are hurting my shoulder terrible. Maybe time to stop using it)
V bar pulldowns 1 x 10 (used to make up for missed reps on the pull ups)
Low V handle cable rows 2 x 12 180lbs
Single dumbbell row-knee on bench 2 x 10 90lbs
Hammer pulldown 2 x 10 160lbs

Dumbbell flat bench 2 x 8 80lbs ( Damn shoulder is protesting)
Hammer Strength incline 2 x 8 235lbs
Flat flies 2x 10 50lbs.
machine flies 2 x 12 110lbs
push ups 1 x max

deadlifts 2 x 4 305lbs then 1 x 1 325lbs (I like doing deads at the end. It limits the weight but it also makes it safer. Completely warmed up instead of starting cold. Yates did the same)
Weighted hyper extensions 2 x 15 25lbs (plate behind head)

ab wheel roll out 2 x 25
weighted floor crunches 1 x 40 10lbs behind head

Gym observation:

One of the biggest humans I have ever seen works out in my gym.  Can't even guess what he weighs.  Maybe 350lbs or more?  Muscular power lifter physique.  His neck is as big as my thigh.  He isn't a true power lifter. Never seen him bench or deadlift but he just lifts heavy. 200lbs curls for sets. He does pull ups at that weight. No, it's not pretty. Today he was doing multiple sets in the inclines with about 385lbs. I know that's not earth shattering but it was multiple sets of 8.  The funny part is looking at him you would figure he would talk like a professional wrestler. Softest and friendliest voice that doesn't match his menacing appearance.

The gym owner fist bumped me today.  Don't know why I'm typing this. I guess at my age I find this to be young man's greeting.  I guess I'm still with it.  LOL.

New hottie in the gym. Tall brunette in a leotard top wearing shorts.  She is not a hard core trainer like the blonde I previously typed about. Her and her chubby friend just messed around on the machines not exerting themselves. Always love having eye candy in the gym.

I always end my chest with push ups. I noticed more and more guys ending their chest workout with push ups. Maybe I started a trend.  No, I didn't invent push ups, wise guy.  

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1827 on: November 15, 2016, 05:48:41 PM »
So you're back working out at a gym as opposed to at home, I gather. Good workout.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1828 on: November 15, 2016, 08:03:43 PM »
So you're back working out at a gym as opposed to at home, I gather. Good workout.

The majority of workouts are at a commercial gym.  I mix in some home workouts. I can do just about everything I do at the commercial gym at home but it's nice to get out with other people who pursue our shared insanity.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1829 on: November 15, 2016, 08:39:14 PM »
Leg day:

1.Squats 3x8 185-225-240lbs 1 x 1 300lbs (Olympic high bar squats with a narrow stance. Fairly deep but working on depth. I would say deep but not rock bottom)

2.Dumbbell squats 2 x 12 90lbs ( rock bottom. Damn these are hard. Upright back and fully bending the legs. One of the hardest exercises. If you try them hold the dumbbells at your side. Do not deadlift the weight by bending over. Use wrist straps.Concentrate on bending your legs staying fairly upright. Brutal exercise)

3. Semi Stiff leg deadlift 2 x 6 205lbs ( I use 25lbs plates so I can go deep.)

4. leg extensions 2 x 12
5. Standing machine leg curls 2 x 12

6. Standing calf raise 2 x 12 195lbs (Near end of set the reps got sloppy. I have non existent calves. I have legs like the fighter Tommy Hearns.)

7. Seated calf 2 x 15 90lbs (I try to go deep and fully high)

8. Ab coaster 2 x 25 60lbs

9. Ab crunch machine 2 x 20

10.4 way neck machine 2 x 15

Gym Obsevations:

Why do guys sit on machines and talk.  At least stand up and talk.  One exercise I had to do at home and it's number 7 seated calf because I got tired of waiting for three guys to stop chatting by the machine.

Body felt amazing training at 4:30PM. Usually work out in the morning. I feel stiff and out of it in the morning. Felt great in the afternoon.

Saw a guy using the hack machine with 4 plates a side.  He buried every rep. I was impressed. For the way this machine is built that's a ton of weight.

One male trainer was really making his female client workout like a dog. He's not exactly a specimen. Thought it was boot camp for the poor slightly chubby girl. Made her do something like 300 reps of jump rope for time. Every time she stopped in fatigue he would start to bark at her to continue.  She is paying for this?  Felt sorry for her being pushed so hard by the guy.  I almost said to him why don't you do it along side her?

Met a guy from Bayonne NJ in the gym and we talked briefly about boxing and Chuck Wepner. Wepner is from Bayonne and was the inspiration for the movie Rocky. Sly denied it but Chuck won a settlement in court.  The gym guy also works with a former pro fighter I know.  Sparred with him back in the day.  I couldn't see where the punches were coming from he was so fast. The guy is about 60 years old now and by all accounts still runs hard; does body weight exercises and hits the bag.

There are two gyms in town. The fancy one that has an indoor pool and stunning looking equipment. Something like 25 treadmills alone in the cardio area. Even a spin and exercise class room. My gym is just a hardcore old equipment gym. Such a better atmosphere in the hardcore gym. It has many serious trainers but it also has a lot of old people training. The only thing the hard core gym doesn't have is an abundance of knock out women working out in those panty hose yoga pants.  We have very limited amount of hot women. The fancy gym you can't walk 20 feet without seeing one.  

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1830 on: November 16, 2016, 04:53:04 AM »
Leg day:

1.Squats 3x8 185-225-240lbs 1 x 1 300lbs (Olympic high bar squats with a narrow stance. Fairly deep but working on depth. I would say deep but not rock bottom)

2.Dumbbell squats 2 x 12 90lbs ( rock bottom. Damn these are hard. Upright back and fully bending the legs. One of the hardest exercises. If you try them hold the dumbbells at your side. Do not deadlift the weight by bending over. Use wrist straps.Concentrate on bending your legs staying fairly upright. Brutal exercise)

3. Semi Stiff leg deadlift 2 x 6 205lbs ( I use 25lbs plates so I can go deep.)

4. leg extensions 2 x 12
5. Standing machine leg curls 2 x 12

6. Standing calf raise 2 x 12 195lbs (Near end of set the reps got sloppy. I have non existent calves. I have legs like the fighter Tommy Hearns.)

7. Seated calf 2 x 15 90lbs (I try to go deep and fully high)

8. Ab coaster 2 x 25 60lbs

9. Ab crunch machine 2 x 20

10.4 way neck machine 2 x 15

Gym Obsevations:

Why do guys sit on machines and talk.  At least stand up and talk.  One exercise I had to do at home and it's number 7 seated calf because I got tired of waiting for three guys to stop chatting by the machine.

Body felt amazing training at 4:30PM. Usually work out in the morning. I feel stiff and out of it in the morning. Felt great in the afternoon.

Saw a guy using the hack machine with 4 plates a side.  He buried every rep. I was impressed. For the way this machine is built that's a ton of weight.

One male trainer was really making his female client workout like a dog. He's not exactly a specimen. Thought it was boot camp for the poor slightly chubby girl. Made her do something like 300 reps of jump rope for time. Every time she stopped in fatigue he would start to bark at her to continue.  She is paying for this?  Felt sorry for her being pushed so hard by the guy.  I almost said to him why don't you do it along side her?

Met a guy from Bayonne NJ in the gym and we talked briefly about boxing and Chuck Wepner. Wepner is from Bayonne and was the inspiration for the movie Rocky. Sly denied it but Chuck won a settlement in court.  The gym guy also works with a former pro fighter I know.  Sparred with him back in the day.  I couldn't see where the punches were coming from he was so fast. The guy is about 60 years old now and by all accounts still runs hard; does body weight exercises and hits the bag.

There are two gyms in town. The fancy one that has an indoor pool and stunning looking equipment. Something like 25 treadmills alone in the cardio area. Even a spin and exercise class room. My gym is just a hardcore old equipment gym. Such a better atmosphere in the hardcore gym. It has many serious trainers but it also has a lot of old people training. The only thing the hard core gym doesn't have is an abundance of knock out women working out in those panty hose yoga pants.  We have very limited amount of hot women. The fancy gym you can't walk 20 feet without seeing one.  

8)...

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1831 on: November 16, 2016, 05:06:35 PM »
Delt and arms:

Military press 2 x 8 115bs (shoulder is bad.  Cleaned the weight from the floor and went all the way down each rep.)
dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 30lbs
Rear dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 45lbs
machine laterals 2 x 10 80lbs (I should lower the weight last reps got a little sloppy.)
barbell shrugs 2 x 10 255lbs

Weighted dips 2 x 10 25lbs
regular tricep push downs 2 x 10
rope tricep 2 x 12

EZ curls 2 x 10 90lbs ( shoulder doesn't like free bar curling)
machine curls 2 x 10 (zero shoulder issues with these)
concentration curls 2 x 10 25lbs ( I do these really strict. Notice many do these sloppy with body english.)

forearm curls 2 x 25 95lbs
rope curls 2 x 10

ab coaster 2 x 26 40lbs
ab crunch machine 2 x 20

Gym Observations:

Haven't weight trained 3 days in a row for a long, long time. Really shot.  Just doing it because I have long work days on this Thursday and Friday. So 3 on and 2 off for the weights this Monday to Friday.

They were doing a photo shoot for Reebok when I arrived. When it comes out I will post it.  They were doing a story on my neighbor down the block, Nick.  He is an inspiration. Can't wait to find out how they are using the footage. I believe both still and video.  There was some talk of Men's Health.  When I see Nick next time I will ask.  

The gym was eerily quiet. The owner of the gym turned off the sound system because of the film crew.  Now I got to hear people singing really clearly with their blasting ear buds and head phones. Wow, sounds like a guy getting hit in the nuts with a hammer. I could swear I heard dogs howling.

I really think if I could just lose about 7lbs to 10lbs I'll be where I want to be.  Of course I ate a half a pizza for lunch and even a milky way candy bar at night.  Come Friday I will be drinking beer.  Tomorrow I will try to be good.   ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1832 on: November 21, 2016, 02:38:34 PM »
Back and chest:

Power cleans and jerks 4 x 3 135lbs to 170lbs
deadlifts 1 x 5 315lbs

V handle pulldown 2 x 10
Hammer strength pulldowns 2 x 10
T bar rows 2  10 (I always feel these work the back great but have to be careful with the lower back)
Seated cable rows 2 x 12 170lbs

Hammer strength inclines 2 x 8 235lb
Incline dumbbell press 2 x 8 70lbs ( shoulder really limits me. Just glad to move any amount of weight)
Flat flies 2 x 10 50lbs
Pulley flies 2 x 10 ( I never do these. Just doesn't feel like a great movement for me)

Weighted back hyper extensions 2 x 15 25lbs plate behind the neck

Ab wheel roll out 2 x 25
ab crunch machine 2 x 20

Gym Observations:

Big guy doing reps with 500lbs in the deadlift. He's not a powerlifter but more of for lack of a better term a really strong fitness trainer.  Seen him doing circuits and treadmill stuff on other occasions. He is built like a football lineman. Really in good shape athletically.  

Stunning blonde I've been typing about was leaving as I came in.  

I lifted at around 11AM today.  The gym is filled with old people. Not putting them down but they sure like to sit in the machines and watch other people workout.  

The dumbbells in this place are labeled with sticky labels.  They are all mislabeled.  They are all marked 5lbs lower than what they actually are.  The ones marked 80lbs for example are really 85lbs.  I have never seen anything like this in other gyms. No big deal though.  I count the plates and throw in the weight of the handle.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1833 on: November 22, 2016, 06:22:08 PM »
Today was my cardio day.  Haven't run in about 10 days.  Felt really sluggish. Ran a slow 3 miles in heavy wind with winter clothes.  Really disappointed how slow I ran but a slow 3 miles is better than no miles.  Hit the heavy bag after for 2 three minute rounds. I'm not a bodybuilder. I don't use drugs. Maybe you can say I'm into fitness.  I constantly get complimented on how hard I hit the bag by the young guys. Haven't been in the ring in 30 years. I'm sure I would get killed by a young pup. My reactions are garbage now but I've heard it said the last thing to go is the power punch. I actually think I hit harder now.  Maybe I'm delusional. I'm constantly surprised watching young guys hit the bag with light slow soft punches. I guess this is a bodybuilding type gym and not a boxing one.  About three miles away they have a boxing gym.  No, I would never consider getting in the ring at my age.  Having access to speed bags and heavy bags being around actual fighters would be a great training environment though.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1834 on: November 23, 2016, 09:00:21 PM »
You continue to be an inspiration. Thank you!

As inconsistent with working out over this past year, I  will say the no matter how off schedule I get, when I do exercise, my body responds.

Happy Thanksgiving. Currently, there is no kitchen in my home. We couldn't fix a Thanksgiving dinner if our lives depended on it. It looks like we'll be having turkey sandwiches at Sherry's this year. At least we won't have to do the dishes. This is good since we are currently washing them in the laundry sink. LOL

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1835 on: November 26, 2016, 02:14:17 PM »
Worked out 5 days in a row. I was going to run today on the 6th of the week but I feel a little burnt out from work, working out and too much alcohol.  Tomorrow I'll hit a cardio day. That will make the week balanced with three hard lifting days and hard three cardio days.

Prime, hope your Thanksgiving was a memorable one no matter what the circumstances. 

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1836 on: November 26, 2016, 05:10:36 PM »
Worked out 5 days in a row. I was going to run today on the 6th of the week but I feel a little burnt out from work, working out and too much alcohol.  Tomorrow I'll hit a cardio day. That will make the week balanced with three hard lifting days and hard three cardio days.

Prime, hope your Thanksgiving was a memorable one no matter what the circumstances. 
take day or 2 eat healthy,water,,recoup..

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1837 on: November 26, 2016, 06:18:49 PM »
take day or 2 eat healthy,water,,recoup..

Some push limits and others like me, are more complacent. Oldtimer seems to be an all or nothing type guy. That's not a bad thing as long as he doesn't beat himself up when he needs a break.

You, my friend, are one of the most consistent on Getbig. The only time you slack off is when you are truly injured or sick. Even then, if possible you find a workaround.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1838 on: November 26, 2016, 07:08:03 PM »
Some push limits and others like me, are more complacent. Oldtimer seems to be an all or nothing type guy. That's not a bad thing as long as he doesn't beat himself up when he needs a break.

You, my friend, are one of the most consistent on Getbig. The only time you slack off is when you are truly injured or sick. Even then, if possible you find a workaround.
onsidering 3 kids and a long work hrs i do push 4 workouts and every other week a 5th 'pump'total upper body day.i am in best shape size/condition wise i want to be in my'ideal' look enough of each without starving to unhealthy means or overbulking smooth ,,right in the middle,,thanks jay keep plugging along yourself...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1839 on: November 26, 2016, 07:10:22 PM »
onsidering 3 kids and a long work hrs i do push 4 workouts and every other week a 5th 'pump'total upper body day.i am in best shape size/condition wise i want to be in my'ideal' look enough of each without starving to unhealthy means or overbulking smooth ,,right in the middle,,thanks jay keep plugging along yourself...

"plugging along" seems depressing even though it is exactly what I am doing, son.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1840 on: November 26, 2016, 07:19:51 PM »
"plugging along" seems depressing even though it is exactly what I am doing, son.
well i mean it in a general sense..i know you push when motivated..

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1841 on: November 27, 2016, 01:32:47 PM »
Got my sixth workout in today for the week.  Ran two miles and felt like I was flying. Damn GPS watch malfunctioned and I don't have a time. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1842 on: November 30, 2016, 12:36:18 PM »
Did back and chest on Monday.  Tuesday was a long work day. I did nothing.  This new job is really messing with my work out schedule.  Today was legs at the commercial gym.

Squats 4 x 8 working up to 235lbs. When I was done I did two reps with 285lbs.
Dumbbell squats 2 x 12 85lbs in each hand (sank them till legs were fully bent.)
stiff dead 2 x 6 210lbs (really went low.)
leg extension 2 x 12 180lbs (I know the weight is meaningless. My home gym unit 80lbs is heavy.)
standing leg curl 2 x 12

Standing calf raise 2 x 12 195lbs (Again meaningless.  I have two standing units in my home gym. One I use about 325lbs and the other 140lbs is a ton due to the different leverages)
Seated calf 2 x 15 90lbs

4 way neck machine 2 x 20 (Neck responds better than any other body part. Maybe due to blood flow)

Ab coaster 2 x 30 60lbs (I try to go high and not rock back to far to keep out momentum)
Machine crunches 2 x 20

Gym observations:

Two pretty good bodybuilders in their 20's were deadlifting after lats.  I don't understand why they raised the bar by putting it on two 5 inch platforms.  Makes it a little easier but why even do it?  They also used the chains on either end. I never used them. Maybe I will try it. Then again maybe I won't. They had 250lbs on the bar minus the chains.

I'm doing stiff leg deadlifts.  A guy has the whole gym to do stretch but he does it practically on top of me.  I understand in much of Europe and Asia the concept of personal isn't something they grasp but this is America. Made me feel like punching him but he was either clueless or am I clueless of his intentions?

Mr. 50 something put the pin on the bottom of the stack guy was there. I know I talk about him a lot but he bugs the hell out of me. Only uses machines and has to put the pin in the bottom of every weight stack. Then cheats the weight up to do partials.  I really think in his head he thinks he stronger than everyone.  Just delusional but then bodybuilding is filled with delusional people.

Went home and took a shower.  Went back to the gym.  The gym owner also owns a barber shop right next to the gym. If you're a gym member you get a discount.  This 55 year old girl who cuts my hair really leans on me while cutting my hair.  I don't know if she  realizes she is doing it.  I don't mind.  Gave her an extra tip.  Maybe I'm the fool.  ::)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1843 on: November 30, 2016, 01:53:30 PM »
You're not a fool for tipping her if she gives you a good haircut. Tipping barbers and stylist is the norm as best a I can remember from when I actually had hair to cut.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #1844 on: November 30, 2016, 04:20:57 PM »
You're not a fool for tipping her if she gives you a good haircut. Tipping barbers and stylist is the norm as best a I can remember from when I actually had hair to cut.
It is.

At what age did you guys start falling apart? I'm a strong as ever on my main lifts and (knock on wood) never had a major injury.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1845 on: November 30, 2016, 05:30:21 PM »
It is.

At what age did you guys start falling apart? I'm a strong as ever on my main lifts and (knock on wood) never had a major injury.

Who says any of us are falling apart?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #1846 on: December 01, 2016, 12:00:42 PM »
Who says any of us are falling apart?
Judging from the list of complaints about achy body parts and joints.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1847 on: December 01, 2016, 06:10:54 PM »

I have always tipped barbers since when I was a kid to now. It was an EXTRA tip like I wrote.  

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1848 on: December 01, 2016, 06:21:26 PM »
Judging from the list of complaints about achy body parts and joints.

If someone says they are as good as they were athletically when they are in their 40 and 50's never really reached reached their potential when they were younger. Think about it. Are there any 45 plus guys in the NFL?  Any 50 year old contenders in the UFC?  Any 50 year old sprinters, milers or marathon runners in the top 20 in the world?  

No, I can't do what I could in my youth. Yes, I do think I damaged my body from a life of athletics. It's just wear and tear.  

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1849 on: December 01, 2016, 06:34:11 PM »
Today was a cardio day:

6 x half miles (800 meters) One quarter mile fast walk recovery in between half mile sets.

I started at 7.1 MPH and took it down to 8.0 MPH. That's 8:27 pace down to 7:30 pace. I was a pool of sweat.  Ran to Rick Springfield and Tom Jones.  Don't judge me.  Hit the heavy bag afterwards for two three minute rounds.

Had to do the workout before work. I was there when it opened at 6AM.

Gym Observation:

I was on the treadmill for about 50 minutes and two guys in their 50's talked to each other for the entire time. Didn't see them do one set.  WTF?