Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 406748 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #1900 on: December 29, 2016, 05:04:20 PM »
Chains are big in my gym.  I haven't seen anyone use bands on the bar yet. Today I took off training. Sore throat yesterday feeling like I was coming down with something yesterday. Felt better today but I'm still taking off.  I'll make up for the lost cardio day on Saturday. Tomorrow is Delt and arms.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1901 on: December 29, 2016, 05:10:52 PM »
Chains are big in my gym.  I haven't seen anyone use bands on the bar yet. Today I took off training. Sore throat yesterday feeling like I was coming down with something yesterday. Felt better today but I'm still taking off.  I'll make up for the lost cardio day on Saturday. Tomorrow is Delt and arms.

Occasionally, I see someone adding bands to on the bar when squatting but not real often.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1902 on: December 30, 2016, 05:27:07 PM »
Trained at home today. It felt really good train at home. It seems my stuff has been collecting dust. I think in the past year I might have trained at home 10 times. I really do have a great set up.  I found I just changed the channel to the satellite light radio way too often. Then again it's just me down there.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1903 on: January 01, 2017, 07:34:19 AM »
happy new yr guys,,,

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1904 on: January 01, 2017, 02:22:53 PM »
May the New Year bring good things to everyone.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1905 on: January 01, 2017, 05:56:51 PM »
Happy New Year! May every rep get you closer to your goals.

I'm always thinking of new ways to approach training. I never consider diet.  After gaining about 3 pounds in week from Holiday alcohol drinking and food I realize I can't out work a bad diet like I did in my youth.  Going to have to cut down on the beer.  It's really wrecking my gains in the gym.  I can't bring myself to drink light beer so I will cut the days down I do indulge. 

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #1906 on: January 01, 2017, 06:21:15 PM »
No chains in my gym. I bring my bands in once in awhile to change it up and overload myself. Always fun.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1907 on: January 04, 2017, 06:47:56 PM »
Home Gym observations:

Training at home now.  Trained legs today.  Certain things are better and some worst. My leg press machine just feels right and the gym's just feels like it was built wrong at bad angles.  On the other hand my leg extension machine stinks compared to the one at the gym. Thankful nothing changes with dumbbells and barbells to a certain extend. My barbell has really nice knurling on it and the ends revolve freely. The plates slide on and off without effort.  Tired of gyms that skimp on barbells.  They always buy crap.  My dumbbells also are better than the gym. Most of the commercial gym's dumbbells are 5lbs or more heavier than the stick on label says. Someone can't count plates and the weight of the handle.

A real plus is I really like the music in my home gym. The  gym owner meaning me really knows how to play heart pumping music. The commercial gym is has satellite radio system but he keeps it on the 70's rock channel.  Nothing wrong with 70's rock but he has 200 plus channels and that's what he has on day after day.

One negative is that it's good to train with other guys training. It gets the adrenaline up. I'm pretty self motivated but I do know my heart rate starts going the minute I walk into a commercial gym. I miss having short conversations with some of the guys. What I will miss most is some of the hot women. One hot blonde training there I would put up against any Hollywood actress for both face and body.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1908 on: January 05, 2017, 10:58:09 AM »
Home Gym observations:

Training at home now.  Trained legs today.  Certain things are better and some worst. My leg press machine just feels right and the gym's just feels like it was built wrong at bad angles.  On the other hand my leg extension machine stinks compared to the one at the gym. Thankful nothing changes with dumbbells and barbells to a certain extend. My barbell has really nice knurling on it and the ends revolve freely. The plates slide on and off without effort.  Tired of gyms that skimp on barbells.  They always buy crap.  My dumbbells also are better than the gym. Most of the commercial gym's dumbbells are 5lbs or more heavier than the stick on label says. Someone can't count plates and the weight of the handle.

A real plus is I really like the music in my home gym. The  gym owner meaning me really knows how to play heart pumping music. The commercial gym is has satellite radio system but he keeps it on the 70's rock channel.  Nothing wrong with 70's rock but he has 200 plus channels and that's what he has on day after day.

One negative is that it's good to train with other guys training. It gets the adrenaline up. I'm pretty self motivated but I do know my heart rate starts going the minute I walk into a commercial gym. I miss having short conversations with some of the guys. What I will miss most is some of the hot women. One hot blonde training there I would put up against any Hollywood actress for both face and body.
8),,you are like me motivated anywhere and anytime to train its all good,,maybe go back in late spring/early summer to train at gym when you really kick in hot training/shape...i'm training home 2 nite no babysitter and daughter has basketball practice.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1909 on: January 05, 2017, 08:15:38 PM »
Trained this week using this split. 4 on and two off. Chest-back-legs-delt/arms was the four days. Just trying to do something slightly different.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1910 on: January 12, 2017, 07:35:50 PM »
Some bad bug is going around. Two days ago I ran hard on the treadmill and I felt off all night into the next morning. Thought I just over did it. Even thought maybe it was my heart. Yesterday I trained legs and my hip joint starting hurting. When I woke up today I could hardly walk. Still didn't know what was wrong with me.  Tonight a high fever appeared.  Damn my joints hurt.  I guess I'm out of the gym for awhile. Hope the drugs the doctor gave me work.  This fever gets any higher I might go to the emergency room. Burning up. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1911 on: January 12, 2017, 07:38:40 PM »
Some bad bug is going around. Two days ago I ran hard on the treadmill and I felt off all night into the next morning. Thought I just over did it. Even thought maybe it was my heart. Yesterday I trained legs and my hip joint starting hurting. When I woke up today I could hardly walk. Still didn't know what was wrong with me.  Tonight a high fever appeared.  Damn my joints hurt.  I guess I'm out of the gym for awhile. Hope the drugs the doctor gave me work.  This fever gets any higher I might go to the emergency room. Burning up. 

What a bummer. Being sick is never fun, especially when you don't get to stay home from school.  ;D -Hope you feel better soon.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1912 on: January 19, 2017, 12:25:22 PM »
Ended up in the hospital.  Doctor said I had pneumonia. Said you could see it in the chest x-ray.  Had a fever at first that went up to 104. For 6 days it would fluctuate between 102 and 104. Lost 6 pounds in 6 days.  I was incredible weak but on the 7 the day the fever broke. That's the day my doctor put me in the hospital. I wasn't able to speak above a whisper and had chest spasms. The doctor put me on IV antibiotics. Saw a Pulmonary and Infectious disease doctor. Spent 2 nights and 3 days in the hospital.  Doc said my lungs were rapidly clearing.  Around 10 total day so far with antibiotics from the first day sick at home to being discharged from the hospital. Now I have 7 more days. I have never been this sick in my life. Lung guy said," You started with the flu and ended with pneumonia.  

What I noticed besides the bad stuff with illness is that my really bad shoulder is feeling good. The time off from lifting gave the grinding a rest.
Maybe it was a sign at nearly 58 that pushing myself really hard in the gym is great but it has to be balanced with rest. Then again maybe I just caught the bug.

Hopefully in another 7 days I can start lifting light.  Can't think of what my lifting should be?  Volume with only the last set to failure?  One set to failure Yates. I might not ever figure one magic routine. Any suggestions on splits and work sets quantities?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1913 on: January 19, 2017, 01:10:16 PM »
Ended up in the hospital.  Doctor said I had pneumonia. Said you could see it in the chest x-ray.  Had a fever at first that went up to 104. For 6 days it would fluctuate between 102 and 104. Lost 6 pounds in 6 days.  I was incredible weak but on the 7 the day the fever broke. That's the day my doctor put me in the hospital. I wasn't able to speak above a whisper and had chest spasms. The doctor put me on IV antibiotics. Saw a Pulmonary and Infectious disease doctor. Spent 2 nights and 3 days in the hospital.  Doc said my lungs were rapidly clearing.  Around 10 total day so far with antibiotics from the first day sick at home to being discharged from the hospital. Now I have 7 more days. I have never been this sick in my life. Lung guy said," You started with the flu and ended with pneumonia.  

What I noticed besides the bad stuff with illness is that my really bad shoulder is feeling good. The time off from lifting gave the grinding a rest.
Maybe it was a sign at nearly 58 that pushing myself really hard in the gym is great but it has to be balanced with rest. Then again maybe I just caught the bug.

Hopefully in another 7 days I can start lifting light.  Can't think of what my lifting should be?  Volume with only the last set to failure?  One set to failure Yates. I might not ever figure one magic routine. Any suggestions on splits and work sets quantities?

I'M SO SORRY RICH TO HEAR THAT...GLAD YOUR OK,PNEUMONIA IS SERIOUS ILLNESS,WHAT A WHAMMY...PEACE MAN,,COME BACK SLOW IN TRAINING..

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1914 on: January 21, 2017, 04:14:05 PM »
Yesterday I walked for 20 minutes at a ultra slow 2.0 MPH.  I felt unsteady on my feet and thought I would fall some times.  Today I did 3.0 MPH for 30 minutes. Felt more steady on my feet. My voice is still terrible and I have trouble speaking. I get breathing spasms and it's hard to control my voice.  If I whisper I find it easier.

I already drew up my recovery work out.  It will be a whole body routine starting with ridiculously light weights but increasing every workout.  I will start in 5 days. The antibiotic they have me on is notorious for causing tendon injuries. I have to wait till I stop taking it.  My daughter is a doctor of pharmacology and she actually wrote a paper on levofloxacin. She said the risk of tendon problems goes down drastically the day after you finish taking it. 

Looking forward to getting back to hitting it. Maybe my body needed a break from working out too.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1915 on: January 21, 2017, 06:17:49 PM »
Yesterday I walked for 20 minutes at a ultra slow 2.0 MPH.  I felt unsteady on my feet and thought I would fall some times.  Today I did 3.0 MPH for 30 minutes. Felt more steady on my feet. My voice is still terrible and I have trouble speaking. I get breathing spasms and it's hard to control my voice.  If I whisper I find it easier.

I already drew up my recovery work out.  It will be a whole body routine starting with ridiculously light weights but increasing every workout.  I will start in 5 days. The antibiotic they have me on is notorious for causing tendon injuries. I have to wait till I stop taking it.  My daughter is a doctor of pharmacology and she actually wrote a paper on levofloxacin. She said the risk of tendon problems goes down drastically the day after you finish taking it. 

Looking forward to getting back to hitting it. Maybe my body needed a break from working out too.
nice rich keep going at your comfort zone,,it will be no time..

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1916 on: January 21, 2017, 10:32:28 PM »

It is good that you are taking getting back to your ideal condition slow and easy. The worse thing you can do is rush into your usual routines before you body has had a chance to heal. Pneumonia is nothing to sneeze at. It is a big deal. People die from it. Take care.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1917 on: January 24, 2017, 01:42:58 PM »
When I had a bicep rupture and I couldn't lift anything. All I did was cardio 6 days a week.  I noticed I made incredible progress cardio wise. Mentally I felt fantastic.  Sometimes I think constantly training to failure with weights really destroys the spirit and mind. Nothing wrong with training balls to the wall but it can become hell.  Who in athletics from runners to Olympic lifters train to the ragged edge every time they train? Only in bodybuilding is that preached.

Anyway during my recovery I have been walking 30 minutes every day.  Semi fast now but no where near taxing.  I'm beginning to feel really good again. I'm weak as hell but I feel good. Two more days before I start lifting again.  I don't know if anyone is interested but I will put my workouts here. If no one minds my super low weights. Plan on starting my squats with 175lbs after warm up.  Remember I'm only a week or so removed from being in the hospital.  Still really down in weight.  I stopped using protein years ago but I'm going to make it a part of my recovery.  Taking a multi vitamin and the protein.  

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1918 on: January 24, 2017, 01:54:21 PM »
When I had a bicep rupture and I couldn't lift anything all I did was cardio 6 days a week.  I noticed I made incredible progress cardio wise. Mentally I felt fantastic.  Sometimes I think constantly training to failure with weights really destroys the spirit and mind. Nothing wrong with training balls to the wall but it can become hell.  Who in athletics from runners to Olympic lifters train to the ragged edge every time they train? Only in bodybuilding is that preached.

Anyway during my recovery I have been walking 30 minutes every day.  Semi fast now but no where near taxing.  I'm beginning to feel really good again. I'm weak as hell but I feel good. Two more days before I start lifting again.  I don't know if anyone is interested but I will put my workouts here. If no one minds my super low weights. Plan on starting my squats with 175lbs after warm up.  Remember I'm only a week or so removed from being in the hospital.  Still really down in weight.  I stopped using protein years ago but I'm going to make it a part of my recovery.  Taking a multi vitamin and the protein.  
BE WELL,,,PROTEIN SUPP'S ARE OK IF YOUR STOMACH CAN HANDLE THEM,,I USE SCOOP IN MORNING WITH GREEK YOGURT THATS 36 GRAMS THERE AND AFTER TRAINING IN SOME CEREAL WITH WATER ,,,THATS IT LASTS ME OVER MONTH MONTH IN HALF 4 LBS,,I LIKE DYNAMATIZE 12 HR RELEASE...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1919 on: January 25, 2017, 01:17:21 PM »
When I had a bicep rupture and I couldn't lift anything. All I did was cardio 6 days a week.  I noticed I made incredible progress cardio wise. Mentally I felt fantastic.  Sometimes I think constantly training to failure with weights really destroys the spirit and mind. Nothing wrong with training balls to the wall but it can become hell.  Who in athletics from runners to Olympic lifters train to the ragged edge every time they train? Only in bodybuilding is that preached.

Whatever  weight you can or cannot yet lift, is fine. Honest posts, like yours, keep things real which is a rarity on Getbig.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1920 on: January 26, 2017, 12:04:24 PM »
Lifted today. Eight days from being in the hospital for pneumonia. You can laugh at the weights but I'm weak from being sick. 6 days of high fever. I tried my best today.  

Power cleans 4 x 3 115-130-135-140 then 1x1 150lbs
squats 2x8 175lbs then 1 x 1 225lbs
standing leg curls 2 x 12

Dumbbell bench 2 x 8 50lbs ( felt light but I can't push it. The weakness I feel and the medication I took weakens tendons. Was told by the doctor to be careful until the anitbiotic clears the system)

Pulldowns 2 x 10 95lbs
Seated low rows 2 x 12 140lbs

Military press 2 x 8 90lbs ( all the way down)
Dumbbell lateral raise 2 x 10 10lbs(slow motion)

EZ bar tricep extensions 2 x 8 65lbs
EZ bar curls 2 x 8 65lbs

Ab wheel 2 x 15

standing calf 2 x 15 135lbs

back hyperextensions 2 x 15 with no weight

Ivanko grippers 2 x 20
Neck work

Observations:

Exhausted at the end. I felt I could use much more weight in certain exercises but I feel weak and it's still a little hard to breath. The antibiotic I'm using is notorious for weakening tendons. I don't need another problem. I was using it by IV and just ended pill form.  My daughter who is a doctor of pharmacology said it will clear the system quickly. Still afraid of ripping a tendon. Going to increase the weight at a snails pace.  Lost nearly 10 pounds. My face looks unhealthy but I guess that's just vanity.  My wife went out yesterday with her friend to a restaurant. I knew she wouldn't approve but I drank two beers. Big mistake. Made breathing worst and I didn't get a pleasant buzz. LOL.  My doctor said it will take 6 weeks to regain my strength but he doesn't know me.  

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1921 on: January 27, 2017, 03:46:27 PM »
Did cardio today. I think I did too much to soon.  Ran two miles.  An 11 minute mile and a 10 minute mile. I did the last quarter mile in 8:57 pace. I know it's slow but I still have bruised arms from the Iv's and blood being taken at the hospital.   I still feel like my lungs are fucked up.  Exhausted and I know I will sleep well. Tomorrow is another whole body weight day. I will slightly increase the weight. I will either get back into shape or drop dead. LOL.  Wife is yelling at me I should be resting. 

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #1922 on: January 27, 2017, 06:16:55 PM »
Still sticking with the basic compound lifts, lots of sets each.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1923 on: January 28, 2017, 02:14:16 PM »
Did another whole body day.  Slightly upped the weights.

Power cleans 4 x 3 115-135-140-145 then 1x1 155lbs
squats 2x8 185lbs then 1 x 1 235lbs

Dumbbell bench 2 x 8 55lbs  (Again feels light but taking my time)

Pulldowns 2 x 10 100lbs (Normally I stay completely veriticle but leaning back slightly. Shoulder feels less stress. )
Seated low rows 2 x 12 145lbs

Military press 2 x 8 95lbs ( all the way down)
Dumbbell lateral raise 2 x 10 15lbs

Traditional tricep pushdowns 2 x 10 55lbs
EZ bar curls 2 x 8 70lbs

Ab wheel 2 x 16

standing calf 2 x 15 140lbs

back hyperextensions 2 x 15 5lbs plate behind head.

Ivanko grippers 2 x 20
Neck work

Gym Observations:  Feeling I can progress faster but I'm going to hold back.  Let me get back gradual. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1924 on: January 30, 2017, 12:51:26 PM »
My third weight workout since getting out of the hospital. Slowly getting my strength back and the plan is on target I hope.

Power cleans and jerks 4 x 3 115-140-145-150 then 1x1 160lbs ( I know this is pathetic but I'm getting there)
squats 2x8 195lbs then 1 x 1 245lbs (trying to sink each rep. I'm going below parallel but not ass to grass)

Dumbbell bench 2 x 8 60lbs  (It's bothering my shoulder a little but I try to do them slowly with full range)

Pulldowns 2 x 10 105lbs (Going to stay with these for awhile till I get get back to pull ups )
Seated low rows 2 x 12 150lbs

Military press 2 x 8 100lbs ( all the way down)
Dumbbell lateral raise 2 x 10 20lbs

Traditional tricep pushdowns 2 x 10 60lbs (home pulley unit has so much friction that a little weight is lot.)
EZ bar curls 2 x 8 75lbs (can't use a straight bar. Hurt the shoulder too much)

Ab wheel 2 x 16

standing calf 2 x 15 145lbs (leverage calf machine. My other unit this would equal about 300lbs in plates)

back hyperextensions 2 x 15 10lbs plate behind head.

Ivanko grippers 2 x 20 (these hurt the palm of my hand. A lot of pressure there.)
Neck work (Using a plate on my forehead with a towel for neck curls. I use my hands only to balance the plate. Using a neck strap for neck extensions for the back of neck)

Gym Observations:

Starting to slowly feel like my self again.  My plan of upping the weight slightly each whole body workout seems to be working. Maybe three more workouts like this then I will hit a split again.