Author Topic: How do I know if I need HRT?  (Read 12407 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: How do I know if I need HRT?
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 12:42:41 PM »
Can a family doctor make this call or do I need to go to one of those special clinics that specializes in diagnosing this?

The answer is yes a primary care physician can make this call. My urologist prescribed testosterone to me several years ago after a blood test revealed my having very low test levels, even for a man of my advanced age. Endocrinologists are a good choice because their approach to treating low test levels is probably the most comprehensive. All my doctor prescribes is the testosterone and not the other supplemental drugs that an endocrinologist would, such as, HCG and an aromatase inhibitor.

Any doctor can do a blood test which should include both free and complete test levels and a PSA test. If your PSA is unusually high or fluctuates a lot, most doctors are reluctant to prescribe testosterone. It is believed that taking testosterone can accelerate prostate cancer when you already have it. Medical science has mixed ideas on whether using testosterone can cause prostate cancer. In my case, being on testosterone is probably the reason prostate cancer was discovered so early on. It was stage I and it was well contained. I have been in remission for a couple of years. Today my PSA is considered undetectable because it is so low (0.02).

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 04:15:21 PM »
Pellets or gel?  I really do need to google, I assumed it was shots.

shots are said to be the best.. Gel the worst..pellets trade off is lack of control on effects (until dialed in) the beginning and the end of the 4 month period where test may drop off. I get them every 3. 5 months to alleviate that and I like the fact it's once every 3.5 months then I forget about it. 

equipoise

• Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2015, 04:17:34 PM »
The answer is yes a primary care physician can make this call. My urologist prescribed testosterone to me several years ago after a blood test revealed my having very low test levels, even for a man of my advanced age. Endocrinologists are a good choice because their approach to treating low test levels is probably the most comprehensive. All my doctor prescribes is the testosterone and not the other supplemental drugs that an endocrinologist would, such as, HCG and an aromatase inhibitor.

Any doctor can do a blood test which should include both free and complete test levels and a PSA test. If your PSA is unusually high or fluctuates a lot, most doctors are reluctant to prescribe testosterone. It is believed that taking testosterone can accelerate prostate cancer when you already have it. Medical science has mixed ideas on whether using testosterone can cause prostate cancer. In my case, being on testosterone is probably the reason prostate cancer was discovered so early on. It was stage I and it was well contained. I have been in remission for a couple of years. Today my PSA is considered undetectable because it is so low (0.02).

So are you still on testosterone now? I read somewhere that all men start slowly having enlarged prostates from age 25 onwards. So basically if you get old enough as a man everyone eventually gets prostate cancer

Juruth

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2015, 04:18:07 PM »
Can a family doctor make this call or do I need to go to one of those special clinics that specializes in diagnosing this?
When he points out your testicles are really dangling ovaries, you'll get the picture.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2015, 04:35:07 PM »
I did this. Came back low. Took it to my doc. He retested, came back low. Still didn't want to put me on TRT so I fucking did it myself.
It doesn't appear to be working.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2015, 04:36:10 PM »
It doesn't appear to be working.

Can't blame a guy for trying, right?

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2015, 04:37:22 PM »
Can't blame a guy for trying, right?
8)

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2015, 05:39:10 PM »
funny this is posted. I just started HRT 2 weeks ago. Took my 2nd shot this morn.

I went to my doc and asked her if i could get my testosterone levels checked. She just asked y. I said i was pretty sure it was low. She asked why i thought that and i told her my symptoms. She sent me for blood tests and they came back REALLY LOW lol. She then referred me to an endocrinologist. He put on HRT.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2015, 05:41:07 PM »
funny this is posted. I just started HRT 2 weeks ago. Took my 2nd shot this morn.

I went to my doc and asked her if i could get my testosterone levels checked. She just asked y. I said i was pretty sure it was low. She asked why i thought that and i told her my symptoms. She sent me for blood tests and they came back REALLY LOW lol. She then referred me to an endocrinologist. He put on HRT.

@ what dose?

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2015, 05:44:49 PM »
@ what dose?

really low.

Depo-Test Cyp  100mg every 2 weeks

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2015, 05:45:40 PM »
So are you still on testosterone now? I read somewhere that all men start slowly having enlarged prostates from age 25 onwards. So basically if you get old enough as a man everyone eventually gets prostate cancer

I am still on HRT. As one ages, their test levels decrease. When you are on HRT, you are pretty much on it for the rest of your life, if you want to maintain good health.

One can have a enlarged prostate and not develop cancer. My prostate was enlarged for as long as I can remember. I no longer have a prostate. After I had the prostatectomy, I waited two years before the doctor would again prescribe testosterone. As I mentioned before, PSA numbers are a good indicator that something is not right with the prostate. My numbers for almost 3 years now have been considered undetectable. If they should change, I would likely have to go off all hormone replacement. Men who wait too long to find out or do something about prostate cancer have worse outcomes. Prostate cancer can metastasize. If it does, the prognosis is usually much worse.

You are right, pretty much every man will develop prostate cancer if they live long enough. It is normally a very slow growing cancer. Old men like me, usually die of other causes before the prostate cancer kills them.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2015, 05:46:48 PM »
When he points out your testicles are really dangling ovaries, you'll get the picture.

This is actually very funny.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2015, 05:54:27 PM »
really low.

Depo-Test Cyp  100mg every 2 weeks

This is a low dosage. When I started on HRT the doctor had me on 300mg every three weeks. The bad thing about this method of administering test is that you will often go through some highs and lows. For this reason, I eventually elected to do my own injections every week. Currently, the prescription calls for 300 a week, although I only take about 250. This is the only way I could get 10 mil vials and have them covered by my insurance.

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2015, 06:00:02 PM »
This is a low dosage. When I started on HRT the doctor had me on 300mg every three weeks. The bad thing about this method of administering test is that you will often go through some highs and lows. For this reason, I eventually elected to do my own injections every week. Currently, the prescription calls for 300 a week, although I only take about 250. This is the only way I could get 10 mil vials and have them covered by my insurance.

this is my first time on HRT so i wasnt too sure what to expect. I go back and see the doc in like 2 months to see how its working for me. Maybe he'll up the dose then. Ive only just taken my 2nd shot this morn so obviously im not really feeling anything yet

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2015, 07:37:49 PM »
Doctor runs my blood every year. My test is in the middle of what it should be. So just average. Any way to naturally boost it to get it in the high range?  ???
A

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2015, 08:32:11 PM »
I always wondered if u can get a primary or uro to give you a rx for test, and then get more test at the same time from a mail order clinic. Anyone do this?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2015, 09:45:27 PM »
trt will fuck your natural levels just like high dosages will.

start and you will have to use for life.

You might be right. What you suggest will carry more weight when and if you are suffering the effects of low test levels.

Personally, it doesn't bother me at all if this is the case, which it probably is.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2015, 09:53:30 PM »
I always wondered if u can get a primary or uro to give you a rx for test, and then get more test at the same time from a mail order clinic. Anyone do this?

People who do dumb shit things like you are suggesting are the reason test is so hard to get legally. People who do dumb shit stuff like this explains why too many people die from self prescribing, no matter the medication, even cough syrup.

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2015, 12:23:02 AM »
I am still on HRT. As one ages, their test levels decrease. When you are on HRT, you are pretty much on it for the rest of your life, if you want to maintain good health.

One can have a enlarged prostate and not develop cancer. My prostate was enlarged for as long as I can remember. I no longer have a prostate. After I had the prostatectomy, I waited two years before the doctor would again prescribe testosterone. As I mentioned before, PSA numbers are a good indicator that something is not right with the prostate. My numbers for almost 3 years now have been considered undetectable. If they should change, I would likely have to go off all hormone replacement. Men who wait too long to find out or do something about prostate cancer have worse outcomes. Prostate cancer can metastasize. If it does, the prognosis is usually much worse.

You are right, pretty much every man will develop prostate cancer if they live long enough. It is normally a very slow growing cancer. Old men like me, usually die of other causes before the prostate cancer kills them.

ah now, come on...

Simple Simon

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2015, 12:27:28 AM »

climber

• Getbig III
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2015, 12:32:53 AM »
It's pretty simple.  If you're over 32 and couldn't make decent gains in a gym and are looking for a "valid" reason to hop on the sauce....you qualify.  Happens all the time.  Remember, anabolics are bodybuildings consolation prize.
I always recommend someone join a bowling league or racquet ball club instead.  Nothing worse than walking around "acting as if".

as if you are the boss?
Hrmmm

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2015, 12:33:39 AM »
how is he right? there is no worldwide study done to confirm all men of older age develop prostate cancer.

fathead

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2015, 12:40:48 AM »

Simple Simon

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2015, 12:59:37 AM »
how is he right? there is no worldwide study done to confirm all men of older age develop prostate cancer.
Cancer gets everyone in the end, its inevitable of you dont die of something else first.

Prostate cancer doesnt normally kill you, you can live for years with it.

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2015, 01:41:26 AM »
that's a blanket statement, a vast general conclusion.