Author Topic: Rory and Bob  (Read 18708 times)

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
Re: Rory and Bob
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2015, 06:12:22 PM »
Bob Paris was a huge star by bodybuilding standards dude.

his placings weren't so huge though. He did well as an amateur but never won a pro competition...hmmm
"

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2015, 06:36:32 PM »
this close to starting a bob paris thread

sean ray weighs in here

8)
"

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2015, 06:49:41 PM »
Short torso and wide hips.

That's simply crazy.  Was Bob Paris known to be gay  in bodybuilding circles at the time he was competing as an amateur?

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2015, 07:17:13 PM »
That's simply crazy.  Was Bob Paris known to be gay  in bodybuilding circles at the time he was competing as an amateur?

the internet tells me he came out in 1989 and his last pro contest was in 1991

"

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2015, 07:41:41 PM »
So it wasn't public ally known until 1989 and the pics above were from the Nationals in the early 80s.  I was wondering if insiders knew.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2015, 07:47:24 PM »
Two books that should be resting in every getbigger's personal library. I can't wait till he writes the sequel "Straight from the Tap". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Generation Queer was on the NY Times' bestseller list for 20 straight weeks. Impressive

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2015, 07:53:07 PM »
Didn't Bob and Rod get divorced or seperate somewhat recently?

Also what does Rory do these days?  Train people?

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2015, 07:55:32 PM »
Two books that should be resting in every getbigger's personal library. I can't wait till he writes the sequel "Straight from the Tap". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Generation Queer was on the NY Times' bestseller list for 20 straight weeks. Impressive

What about "Gorilla Suit"?

Rambone

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2015, 07:57:35 PM »

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2015, 10:15:53 PM »

:o
"

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2015, 10:37:05 PM »
that is not athletic, very muscle bound... Looks retarded running.

Have to agree. Too meathead offstage.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2015, 05:51:20 AM »
As Wes said, lets turn this into a Coach and Tommy who's who of training stories. I saw Mendenhall give a seminar at Golds Gym in Sunrise FL around 85 or so. He was wearing a shorts and a t shirt. His calves were sick his legs were great too.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2015, 05:57:21 AM »
As Wes said, lets turn this into a Coach and Tommy who's who of training stories. I saw Mendenhall give a seminar at Golds Gym in Sunrise FL around 85 or so. He was wearing a shorts and a t shirt. His calves were sick his legs were great too.

Was he with Rachel at the time? I'd love to know the story behind that, as it seems like she left some mental destruction in her wake concerning both he and Ray Mentzer.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2015, 06:04:02 AM »
Was he with Rachel at the time? I'd love to know the story behind that, as it seems like she left some mental destruction in her wake concerning both he and Ray Mentzer.
I don't think so, I certainly would have remembered that. I have an autographed picture of Rachel that I recently found from the 85 Nationals.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2015, 07:21:03 AM »

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2015, 07:28:37 AM »
paris was incredible looking all aroundf'no homo',,watched that where are they now dude looks like Morrissey in the glasses and thinner...

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2015, 08:26:36 AM »

:D Cats I really don't have any good Bob Paris stories. Saw him train a few times. Saw him onstage a couple times. I suppose most notably at the 1988 Mr Olympia. Always a good dude.
a

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2015, 09:31:16 AM »
:D Cats I really don't have any good Bob Paris stories. Saw him train a few times. Saw him onstage a couple times. I suppose most notably at the 1988 Mr Olympia. Always a good dude.

Ever meet Shawn and/or Troy Z. back when they trained together? If so, were they as douchey as everyone said?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2015, 09:35:15 AM »
Ever meet Shawn and/or Troy Z. back when they trained together? If so, were they as douchey as everyone said?
SHAWN did seem like that...his physique speaked for itself tho,,,I would have like to met a lot of those guys then,strydom,dennis newman,so many ,,tommywish was lucky man...

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2015, 10:01:57 AM »
SHAWN did seem like that...his physique speaked for itself tho,,,I would have like to met a lot of those guys then,strydom,dennis newman,so many ,,tommywish was lucky man...

My friend bounced a club here in Upland, CA, mid/late 80s. Shawn comes in one night, walks right up, TELLS him to have the DJ announce that Mr. California has just arrived.

My buddy just laughed.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2015, 10:14:01 AM »
My friend bounced a club here in Upland, CA, mid/late 80s. Shawn comes in one night, walks right up, TELLS him to have the DJ announce that Mr. California has just arrived.

My buddy just laughed.
lol..I believe it he was a kid imagine that,,he won every major title in no time and turned pro at 21,,,he trained with newman too...

Rambone

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2015, 10:14:55 AM »

My buddy just laughed.

Haha id laugh right in that manlet's face. He tries way too hard

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2015, 10:22:22 AM »

Sure. Became friends with both in the early 90's.  Troy was always cooler than Shawn IMO but both guys were cool with me.  Worked with Troy in 91/92 while with Pro Muscle USA. Shawn trained mostly at Fullerton Golds I recall but he did hit Gold's Venice fairly often.

Had a great time at the "Battle of the Biceps" at the 1991 USA I believe.  It was Troy Zuccolotto vs Mike Quinn. Dumbbells for reps, plus 225 on a barbell for reps.  Best combined rep total wins.

Who knows the winner? Who knows the secret? 
a

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #98 on: August 12, 2015, 10:42:05 AM »
Sure. Became friends with both in the early 90's.  Troy was always cooler than Shawn IMO but both guys were cool with me.  Worked with Troy in 91/92 while with Pro Muscle USA. Shawn trained mostly at Fullerton Golds I recall but he did hit Gold's Venice fairly often.

Had a great time at the "Battle of the Biceps" at the 1991 USA I believe.  It was Troy Zuccolotto vs Mike Quinn. Dumbbells for reps, plus 225 on a barbell for reps.  Best combined rep total wins.

I remember that. Fake plates of peace?

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2015, 10:44:53 AM »

Ever read what Jesse James wrote about Troy in his book?