Author Topic: Harley Breite - Appreciation thread  (Read 592175 times)

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
Re: Harley Breite - Appreciation thread
« Reply #2025 on: October 23, 2015, 06:45:50 PM »
That is some shit, Harley.  You got balls, brother.  Most guys would've sailed forward with their connections and never looked back. 

No one before you took the time to give a damn, that much can't be denied by anyone.  The profiling wouldn't have set in like that, otherwise.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2026 on: October 23, 2015, 06:51:51 PM »
Dear Las Vegas,
  Thank you and it's all corroborated by the newspaper articles!!!!
  I may not like my lack of discipline when it comes to dieting and I may not like certain other elements of myself,
but I am not going to sell out for racial profiling.  I might sell out for a perfect pair of implants, but not for some crazy,
racist policy someone expects me to perpetuate.  They burned my family in ovens and I don't forget that. 
  I am getting all riled up now.  I want to buy a few more thousand rounds of ammunition.  That always makes me feel better.
Harley

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #2027 on: October 23, 2015, 06:57:16 PM »
Dear Las Vegas,
  I may not like my lack of discipline when it comes to dieting and I may not like certain other elements of myself,
but I am not going to sell out for racial profiling.  I might sell out for a perfect pair of implants, but not for some crazy,
racist policy someone expects me to perpetuate.  They burned my family in ovens and I don't forget that. 
  I am getting all riled up now.  I want to buy a few more thousand rounds of ammunition.  That always makes me feel better.
Harley

Yes, I did read about it a while ago.  You stood up for things other than your own comfort.  How many people do that, really?  Not enough of them that I can see.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2028 on: October 23, 2015, 07:09:55 PM »
Yes, I did read about it a while ago.  You stood up for things other than your own comfort.  How many people do that, really?  Not enough of them that I can see.

Dear Las Vegas,
  I never even got to the story of how I had to sue the County of Passaic in federal court.  It cost me $10,000 and I told the Judge on day 1,
"Your Honor, I am never going to settle this case for a penny under what it's going to cost me."
  I gave a SWORN DEPOSITION calling the local Congressman (William Pascrell) "a crook and that his son who hold the position of County Counsel
was nothing but the undeserving recipient of nepotism and never once tried a single case in his life." 
  At the end of it all, I was the last person to settle and the judge called me in.   I asked if he remembered what I told him back when it all started.
He said, "yes."  I replied, "Well I'm "10 Large" into this and it's going to take 10 Large from the County to get me out of it."
  He looked at the County's attorney and said, "I suggest you pay him not one penny less than "10 Large" which I assume means Ten-Thousand Dollars."
  They paid me.
Harley

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #2029 on: October 23, 2015, 07:17:47 PM »
Dear Las Vegas,
  I never even got to the story of how I had to sue the County of Passaic in federal court.  It cost me $10,000 and I told the Judge on day 1,
"Your Honor, I am never going to settle this case for a penny under what it's going to cost me."
  I gave a SWORN DEPOSITION calling the local Congressman (William Pascrell) "a crook and that his son who hold the position of County Counsel
was nothing but the undeserving recipient of nepotism and never once tried a single case in his life." 
  At the end of it all, I was the last person to settle and the judge called me in.   I asked if he remembered what I told him back when it all started.
He said, "yes."  I replied, "Well I'm "10 Large" into this and it's going to take 10 Large from the County to get me out of it."
  He looked at the County's attorney and said, "I suggest you pay him not one penny less than "10 Large" which I assume means Ten-Thousand Dollars."
  They paid me.
Harley

Sad part is, I'd bet it still wasn't fair.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #2030 on: October 23, 2015, 07:37:53 PM »
Harley, was pic 22 in gallery taken around the time the courtroom became "disrupted"?  I noticed you looked like you wanted to punch someone.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2031 on: October 23, 2015, 07:42:57 PM »
Harley, was pic 22 in gallery taken around the time the courtroom became "disrupted"?  I noticed you looked like you wanted to punch someone.

Dear Las Vegas,
  It was either the moment Fernando Chireno answered my question "What is your favorite thing in the whole world to eat" with "I like to eat my own shit."
  Or, it was at his sentencing when he said I didn't do all I could to help him.
  Or, it was the time I was trying to convince him that "the devil" is not inside a red tie.
Harley

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #2032 on: October 23, 2015, 07:59:27 PM »
Dear Las Vegas,
  It was either the moment Fernando Chireno answered my question "What is your favorite thing in the whole world to eat" with "I like to eat my own shit."
  Or, it was at his sentencing when he said I didn't do all I could to help him.
  Or, it was the time I was trying to convince him that "the devil" is not inside a red tie.
Harley

Yah, I got the idea that guy is bananas when I read about him.  I figured it might have something to do with it.  That must have been draining to deal with.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #2033 on: October 24, 2015, 12:03:45 AM »
Dear Las Vegas,
Harley

Much respect, Harley.

I always say that of all the virtues that a man can aspire to: generosity, compassion, goodness..., it is courage that is the most
rare.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2034 on: October 24, 2015, 03:53:20 AM »
Courage is also the hardest to muster.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #2035 on: October 24, 2015, 07:33:47 AM »
Dear Las Vegas,
Harley

This statement gave me goosebumps.

Simple Simon

« Reply #2036 on: October 24, 2015, 08:24:29 AM »
Hey Guys,
  What a fascinating legal and moral debate going on!!!  You guys are far more interesting than actual lawyers who bore
the hell out of everyone except themselves.
  I am going to clear all this up in a response. 

But now, I have to go get my car washed as I have just joined the Ferrari Club of America and will attend tomorrow's
Fall Foliage Rally as my introduction to the Club.
  They say they have about 30 Ferraris that will join in for coffee at some exotic dealership and then an hour and half ride
to some place for a nice lunch.
  I already asked if this group was a bunch of pretentious assholes and the lady said absolutely not.
Harley
att Harley
Can you defend someone you know is guilty and at what point would you bee seen to be misleading lying to the court.
And could a judge or prosecutor ask you outright if you knew of your clients guilt.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2037 on: October 24, 2015, 04:54:47 PM »
Legal/Moral Debate Response:
Part One

Dear Guys,
  All of your questions are provocative and interesting.
  First, an attorney is NEVER under any obligation to tell a Judge or a Prosecutor that his Client is in fact, guilty.  
  The Lawyer could ONLY state that he "knows" such a thing if the Client himself admitted guilt to the attorney and NOT based upon the evidence, regardless of how damning or how irrefutable.
  EVEN THEN, a Lawyer can not state that his client is "guilty."
  Now, the exception to that rule can arise when a Client makes a Post Conviction application to a court claiming that the lawyer should be found to have been
of "Ineffective Assistance of Counsel."  Perhaps the following may be of interest:
  On March 2, 2008, around midnight, Mahmoud Chaghlil (Victim), was the Night Manager at Kamil’s Restaurant and ending his shift.  He locked the door and headed toward his apartment at back of the restaurant.
   Ashraf Habib, a cook at Kamil’s, heard shouting and went to the door where he saw 2 men running up Vreeland Ave toward Day St.
   One person running was wearing a black sweatshirt.
   The Victim, struck in the head by a baseball bat, suffered head trauma and was placed in ambulance.
   The police located 2 Defendants on Marilyn Place, walking quickly southbound, just before Rt. 46.  The Officer stopped them, noticed blood and inquired.
   Fajer Dhaglas denied any injury – claimed he was coming from a friend’s house, but couldn’t say who.
   The Officer noticed a bulge in his pants – (he says he saw the eye holes) He recovers a ski mask from Fajer’s pants.
   The Officer brings them back to scene for a show-up band takes them one by one to the ambulance.  The Victim identified the clothing of Fajer and the actual identity of the other Defendant,  Bilal Baellaki.
   At the police station, Bilal Baellaki, admits involvement and tells police that Fajer struck the Victim with a baseball bat.  Bilal says the motive for the robbery was to get money to pay for Fajer's parking tickets.
   The police locate a baseball bat in gutter in front of 18 Vreeland Ave. where Fajer was seen running.
   The Victim tells police that they tried to drag him into his own apartment – presumably to render him more vulnerable.  He then tells police that they then tried to drag him up the street.  The Victim spent 4 or 5 days in hospital.
   The clothes worn by Fajer were stained with the blood of the Victim as confirmed by DNA results.  The $727 found on Fajer was stained with the blood of the Victim.  Fajer was a former employee of the restaurant and knew the habits of the Manager, Victim.
   Fajer Dhaglas was facing 20 Years in New Jersey State Prison and would've served 17 Years before becoming eligible for Parole.  He chose to accept a plea offer of 5 Years which I was only able to obtain after quite an arduous ordeal. 
   Although knowing full well he would be deported after his sentence, Fajer has, through his new female attorney, filed a claim that I never advised him he would be deported (there is an entire section on the actual Plea Form telling him he will be deported which he circled and signed and the Judge read this to him during his plea).  He also claims my assistance was ineffective.
   I am, this Tuesday morning,  being ordered to testify on behalf of the State to refute these claims.  Attorney Client Privilege is thus waived and I am now able to tell the Court, on record, that my client admitted his guilt to me on our very first meeting, attempted to pay off the victim in an attempt to have the matter dismissed and lastly, told me he didn't care about being deported as he had "enough of your country."

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2038 on: October 24, 2015, 08:52:55 PM »
Dear SF1900,
  Why do you say I am lying?
  No one has yet to see all of the proofs the State has or will have against my client.
  Right now, these are merely allegations and under the law, he is as guilty of the crime right now as are you and I.
  We wouldn't want to just believe everything our Government tells us, would we?
Harley

I haven't been following this thread, and this is the first post I read here in a while.  reading this post with no context, it would seem you mean 'convicted', not 'guilty'?

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2039 on: October 25, 2015, 02:48:48 AM »
Dear Hazbin,
  We had been using "guilty" as the legal term designated to represent culpability after a verdict or plea.
  I believe the moral issue rested upon the idea of "responsibility."
  I hope that helps.
Harley

Simple Simon

« Reply #2040 on: October 25, 2015, 02:54:36 AM »
Legal/Moral Debate Response:
Part One

Dear Guys,
  All of your questions are provocative and interesting.
  First, an attorney is NEVER under any obligation to tell a Judge or a Prosecutor that his Client is in fact, guilty.  
  The Lawyer could ONLY state that he "knows" such a thing if the Client himself admitted guilt to the attorney and NOT based upon the evidence, regardless of how damning or how irrefutable.
  EVEN THEN, a Lawyer can not state that his client is "guilty."

Guilty in law or guilty as in he did it?

Two completely separate things wont you agree Harley.
Guilty in law doesn't mean someone did anything at all, it just means a prosecutor convinced a jury or judge that it was true.

So, lets change the wording, would you be under any obligation if the client confessed to committing the crime?

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2041 on: October 25, 2015, 03:07:30 AM »
Dear Be There,
  I agree that there is a difference but only on the moral argument.
  No, the lawyer is not permitted to tell anyone that the client admitted his "responsibility" to him.
  Only a Trial or a Guilty Plea can lead to "Guilty" in the law.
  What one's true "responsibility" is provides the moral answer.
  I think it's very important to separate the "law" from the "morality" and then we can see that "guilty" is just a legal
term as opposed to "responsibility" which calls into question one's conscience, morality and true actions.
Harley

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2042 on: October 25, 2015, 03:10:35 AM »
Dear Guys,
  I was hoping to get more response to the first part of my answer before I moved on but I will continue:
  A lawyer can NOT put his client on the stand to testify if he is SURE that his client is going to tell a story
completely contrary to what the client admitted to the attorney in confidence AND ONLY IF the attorney believes
the client BELIEVES he is lying.
  I look forward to watching all the nuances to come.
  HINT:  Is the lawyer committing a violation if his client is mentally unstable and changes his story and actually believes
the new story is the truth?
Harley

Simple Simon

« Reply #2043 on: October 25, 2015, 03:55:28 AM »
Dear Be There,
  I agree that there is a difference but only on the moral argument.
  No, the lawyer is not permitted to tell anyone that the client admitted his "responsibility" to him.
  Only a Trial or a Guilty Plea can lead to "Guilty" in the law.
  What one's true "responsibility" is provides the moral answer.
  I think it's very important to separate the "law" from the "morality" and then we can see that "guilty" is just a legal
term as opposed to "responsibility" which calls into question one's conscience, morality and true actions.
Harley
So would you not be morally obligated to drop a client who admitted his crime?

Surely defending him would be morally wrong.

Simple Simon

« Reply #2044 on: October 25, 2015, 04:01:13 AM »
Dear Guys,
  I was hoping to get more response to the first part of my answer before I moved on but I will continue:
  A lawyer can NOT put his client on the stand to testify if he is SURE that his client is going to tell a story
completely contrary to what the client admitted to the attorney in confidence AND ONLY IF the attorney believes
the client BELIEVES he is lying.
  I look forward to watching all the nuances to come.
  HINT:  Is the lawyer committing a violation if his client is mentally unstable and changes his story and actually believes
the new story is the truth?
Harley

Sure?
You can never be sure of anything.
"Belief" is a very loose word in law.
How do you establish "belief"?

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2045 on: October 25, 2015, 04:29:28 AM »

Dear Be There,
  As I have mentioned and Pellius has written at length, the idea of universal versus individual morality has no definitive answer, only
ideas and positions.
  I have stated my position on why I represent those whom I represent.  I don't want to bore you guys with the same speech.
Harley

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2046 on: October 25, 2015, 04:35:09 AM »
Sure?
You can never be sure of anything.
"Belief" is a very loose word in law.
How do you establish "belief"?

Dear Be There,
  If your client tells you that he will tell a different story than he has told you in confidence, then you, the lawyer, can say
you "know" the client will lie under oath.
  No one can ever tell if another person, especially some of the accused, are in fact, feigning or in actual belief of what they say.
  I have a client right now on trial for killing a woman while he was 3.5 times over the legal limit for DWI.  The cops arrived at the scene,
his truck was in front of the body, he had a half empty bottle of whiskey inside, 2 witnesses told the cops they saw him hit the woman, the
client the next day gave a 32 minute video taped confession.
  He has decided to ruin my defense and take the stand and say he wasn't there!!!!  I had issues as to whether or not to stay with the case as I
am sure now to lose, but I stayed.  I don't "know" if this guy really has deluded himself into truly believing he wasn't there or if he is putting us on.
I just don't "know" for sure or I don't have enough belief to feel he is surely putting us on.
  Many of the issues raised in this wonderful discourse don't have a certain, black or white answer and that is why cultures, scholars and GetBiggers
have spent thousands of years trying to tackle these issues.  The human species is enormously complex and sometimes unable to answer its own
questions.
Harley

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #2047 on: October 25, 2015, 04:58:17 AM »

I think you would want to at least make sure your client is getting a fair sentence since penalties vary so widely among similar crimes.

Jon Jones has been reinstated into the UFC in less than a year and he's tested positive for cocaine and a hit and run. Nick Diaz is suspended for five years, effectively ending his career, for testing positive for weed. A drug that is legal in some States and will be legal in all States by the time Diaz's sentence is up.

Simple Simon

« Reply #2048 on: October 25, 2015, 06:49:20 AM »
Dear Be There,
  If your client tells you that he will tell a different story than he has told you in confidence, then you, the lawyer, can say
you "know" the client will lie under oath.

No one can ever tell if another person, especially some of the accused, are in fact, feigning or in actual belief of what they say.
  I have a client right now on trial for killing a woman while he was 3.5 times over the legal limit for DWI.  The cops arrived at the scene,
his truck was in front of the body, he had a half empty bottle of whiskey inside, 2 witnesses told the cops they saw him hit the woman, the
client the next day gave a 32 minute video taped confession.
  He has decided to ruin my defense and take the stand and say he wasn't there!!!!  I had issues as to whether or not to stay with the case as I
am sure now to lose, but I stayed.  I don't "know" if this guy really has deluded himself into truly believing he wasn't there or if he is putting us on.
I just don't "know" for sure or I don't have enough belief to feel he is surely putting us on.
  Many of the issues raised in this wonderful discourse don't have a certain, black or white answer and that is why cultures, scholars and GetBiggers
have spent thousands of years trying to tackle these issues.  The human species is enormously complex and sometimes unable to answer its own
questions.
Harley
What if he told a lie to you in confidence and what he was about to say on court was the truth?
Then you are in fact calling him a liar when in fact it's the truth.

It seems to be that to become a lawyer you have to leave your morals at the door once you step through it.

Knowingly defending pedophiles and rapists you know on occasion have committed these crimes before trial.

Not slating people for doing that, its a living after all.
The legal profession requires people to do it or there would be no defence lawyers, or at least none who would willingly work their asses off to get a pedophile a not guilty verdict when he knew he wasnt.

Simple Simon

« Reply #2049 on: October 25, 2015, 07:04:58 AM »
It appears that the legal profession is not about finding out who did wrong and punishing them accordingly.
Its a game played by the prosecution and defence with the accused being the ones who benefit or suffer as a result of the game.

Plea bargains, absolutely disgusting practice.
Forcing people into guilty pleas with the threat of a long sentence if they don't, all to make the courts job easier.
All the loopholes of "diminished responsibility" and "not mentally fit to stand trial", its just a game.

No wonder lawyers get such a bad rep.