Author Topic: Stock Market Crash - No thread on today's stock market crash?  (Read 13583 times)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Stock Market Crash - No thread on today's stock market crash?
« on: August 21, 2015, 10:26:57 PM »
Getbiggers must be heavily invested overseas in Dubai Inda.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
Re: No thread on today's stock market crash?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 04:45:26 AM »
Nothing to worry about, it happens. Now, if it continues, that's a different story.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 04:52:59 AM »
Massive distribution.  A -900 point loss on the DOW in only 3 days.  This is only the beginning.  It's going to get ugly.  

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 04:54:29 AM »
Nothing to worry about, it happens. Now, if it continues, that's a different story.

The story is different now.  The entire rally since 2009 has been fake and all based on Fed reserve liquidity injections (QE) and black box flash trading.  It never goes straight down though, there will be up days.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 06:04:30 AM »
This seems like it will be a 20% or more correction over the next month. I can't see any good reason to hold stocks at this value especially with a fed rate rise looming.

I would be selling every stock I had right now. The stock market is about to crash!

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 06:15:23 AM »
This seems like it will be a 20% or more correction over the next month. I can't see any good reason to hold stocks at this value especially with a fed rate rise looming.

I would be selling every stock I had right now. The stock market is about to crash!

Lots of people have been saying September is going to be brutal in the world's markets. There are a few very large entities buying VXX futures for mid-September essentially betting the bottom drops out of equities.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 06:24:10 AM »
S&P chart puts the last few trading days into perspective...

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$SPX&p=D&yr=1&mn=0&dy=0&id=p36686456731

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 07:17:14 AM »
Getbiggers are more worried about black people than stock market crashes.
S

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 07:52:41 AM »
Yes I've lost millions already.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 12:02:46 PM »
Market correction.....nothing to write home about ::)
A

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 12:08:41 PM »
Getbiggers are more worried about black people than stock market crashes.

The hair from that guys ass crack looks like one giant shit stain.
?

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 12:08:48 PM »
Market correction.....nothing to write home about ::)

correct, unless you are an investor  ::)

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 12:11:38 PM »
One thing we do have in common nowadays with 2008 is a collapsing oil market. The price of oil is now at the point to where it is doing more harm than good.

The fact that interest rates have been held down by the fed the last 7 years is also a concern.

We are in the midst of a global credit crisis. The US is actually doing better than just about everyone else these days, even though we've had a very tepid recovery the last 6+ years.

I actually did some buying and some profit taking yesterday. I've mentioned owning LaJolla Pharma for quite a while - it was up over double digits yesterday, and I took some off the table.

I had also bought a little of company called Macrocure Thursday after it had sold off some 75%. It opened up yesterday a good 50%+ higher than the day before, and I took about half off the table.

Bottom-up. Think more about your individual investment picks and how they are doing individually rather than worry about what the broad markets will do - they will do what they will do, and no one knows for sure what they will do in the next week, month, or year or longer.

If you're a novice, just keep on dollar-cost averaging every payday into your index funds or mutual funds.

If you're more advanced and more tactical, keep your eyes open for bargains. Keep an eye on your current holdings, and don't panic as long as the fundamentals remain strong in those companies. See these big market selloffs as buying opportunities as fundamentally sound companies become cheaper. Continue to dollar cost average every payday and buy more as these companies get cheaper.

Don't be afraid to keep some cash handy - 15, 20, 25% or so. Just don't go crazy and go to 100% cash or even gold or especially 100% short positions or anything - that almost never works out to your benefit for any length of time.

For those of us who are highly advanced and have a fair amount of money, you're probably covering some of your more volatile long positions with put options... And you're also probably using puts to bet against some more volatile companies you believe are way overpriced, in a fundamental decline, or are outright broken; you may also have some short stock positions against less volatile companies in similar positions. You can see times like this as opportunities to take some profits on companies that have had very good runs that aren't so cheap anymore (and increase your available cash reserves); to buy / buy more into good companies that have suddenly become rather cheap; to buy more puts; and to perhaps add / increase short stock positions.

Not a bad time to put a bit more into gold IMO. I'm also still putting a bit into crude and related investments, as I don't believe crude will stay this low for much longer.

It's a given that sooner or later we'd see a correction. It's also a given that sooner or later we'll see another bear market. I don't know if this is it, but I'd rather see one now than 5-6 years from now when I'm perhaps 50-100% or more wealthier than I am now.

I also would rather a bear market now and for the next year and a half (as opposed to further down the road) for other reasons. I would like to see another late '07 to early '09 scenario now, during Obama's last 17 or so months in office, so that those who believe "he tripled the stock market" can hopefully see how foolish they are.

I also think such a market downturn would be more likely to lead to a more favorable election outcome in '16, since most people (especially on the left) wrongly believe a sitting president and the federal government in general have very much control at all over such things as the stock market performance and the price of a barrel of oil.
A

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 12:35:35 PM »
Solid advice from 2Thick above. Especially the bit about not worrying what the market as a whole is doing...do your home work on individual picks.
S

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 12:39:47 PM »
Skorp taking it in like a child at a liturgy  ::)  ;D

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2015, 12:45:39 PM »
Fucking oil at $40 a barrel is what is beating the hell out of me personally. Makes about a 40-50% difference in my personal net worth when oil is over $100 a barrel vs $40-50 a barrel. Plus the royalty payments stop when the oil companies stop drilling at these low levels...  :'(
A

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2015, 05:47:34 PM »
Fucking oil at $40 a barrel is what is beating the hell out of me personally. Makes about a 40-50% difference in my personal net worth when oil is over $100 a barrel vs $40-50 a barrel. Plus the royalty payments stop when the oil companies stop drilling at these low levels...  :'(

I'm all in oil and can't even look at my brokerage account right now.  I bought when oil hit $50 a barrel thinking that was the bottom.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2015, 05:56:24 PM »
I'm just the safe old dollar cost averaging guy with mutual funds.

People who sell when the market drops are idiots. Rich people get richer by buying when the market is down because they are smart enough to know it will go back up.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2015, 07:25:11 PM »
Solid advice from 2Thick above. Especially the bit about not worrying what the market as a whole is doing...do your home work on individual picks.

When confidence is lost, individual picks don't matter... every stock comes down hard.  This next crash one is going to be very nasty.  The economy is horrible.  Derivatives total around $1.4 quadrillion dollars.  The current financial system is not going to last much longer.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2015, 07:26:31 PM »
I'm just the safe old dollar cost averaging guy with mutual funds.

People who sell when the market drops are idiots. Rich people get richer by buying when the market is down because they are smart enough to know it will go back up.

You're not paying attention to what is going on.  I feel sorry for you.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2015, 08:28:09 PM »
Dammit. Thought it said stock car crash. 

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2015, 09:41:49 PM »
You're not paying attention to what is going on.  I feel sorry for you.

I don't buy into all that doomsday crap.

Conker

• Getbig IV
  • looks like you went for the overcooked potato look
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2015, 02:48:46 AM »
europe should to be concerned. if the US economy goes down, how long will it be till they turn their attention to plundering Europe's wealth?
we've already seen the US systematically invade and destabilise the middle east region over the last 15 years or so for political and financial gain. they will stop at nothing to keep their position as the world's financial and military superpower and would no doubt turn on their 'allies' at the drop of hat if was deemed necessary.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2015, 06:28:41 AM »
I don't buy into all that doomsday crap.

A severe correction and a subsequent full recession isn't doomsday. Let's see what China does on open tonight. My expectations are that the Global Plunge Protection Team has been collaborating over the weekend. Expect massive BoJ intervention in the USDJPY carry trade to start. China will make selling a stock a Capitol offense at midnight and the Fed will trot out Yellen to presage QE4 at 0900 EST before open to get the SPX futures back to green.

Crisis averted!

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2015, 07:34:10 AM »
One thing we do have in common nowadays with 2008 is a collapsing oil market. The price of oil is now at the point to where it is doing more harm than good.

The fact that interest rates have been held down by the fed the last 7 years is also a concern.

We are in the midst of a global credit crisis. The US is actually doing better than just about everyone else these days, even though we've had a very tepid recovery the last 6+ years.

I actually did some buying and some profit taking yesterday. I've mentioned owning LaJolla Pharma for quite a while - it was up over double digits yesterday, and I took some off the table.

I had also bought a little of company called Macrocure Thursday after it had sold off some 75%. It opened up yesterday a good 50%+ higher than the day before, and I took about half off the table.

Bottom-up. Think more about your individual investment picks and how they are doing individually rather than worry about what the broad markets will do - they will do what they will do, and no one knows for sure what they will do in the next week, month, or year or longer.

If you're a novice, just keep on dollar-cost averaging every payday into your index funds or mutual funds.

If you're more advanced and more tactical, keep your eyes open for bargains. Keep an eye on your current holdings, and don't panic as long as the fundamentals remain strong in those companies. See these big market selloffs as buying opportunities as fundamentally sound companies become cheaper. Continue to dollar cost average every payday and buy more as these companies get cheaper.

Don't be afraid to keep some cash handy - 15, 20, 25% or so. Just don't go crazy and go to 100% cash or even gold or especially 100% short positions or anything - that almost never works out to your benefit for any length of time.

For those of us who are highly advanced and have a fair amount of money, you're probably covering some of your more volatile long positions with put options... And you're also probably using puts to bet against some more volatile companies you believe are way overpriced, in a fundamental decline, or are outright broken; you may also have some short stock positions against less volatile companies in similar positions. You can see times like this as opportunities to take some profits on companies that have had very good runs that aren't so cheap anymore (and increase your available cash reserves); to buy / buy more into good companies that have suddenly become rather cheap; to buy more puts; and to perhaps add / increase short stock positions.

Not a bad time to put a bit more into gold IMO. I'm also still putting a bit into crude and related investments, as I don't believe crude will stay this low for much longer.

It's a given that sooner or later we'd see a correction. It's also a given that sooner or later we'll see another bear market. I don't know if this is it, but I'd rather see one now than 5-6 years from now when I'm perhaps 50-100% or more wealthier than I am now.

I also would rather a bear market now and for the next year and a half (as opposed to further down the road) for other reasons. I would like to see another late '07 to early '09 scenario now, during Obama's last 17 or so months in office, so that those who believe "he tripled the stock market" can hopefully see how foolish they are.

I also think such a market downturn would be more likely to lead to a more favorable election outcome in '16, since most people (especially on the left) wrongly believe a sitting president and the federal government in general have very much control at all over such things as the stock market performance and the price of a barrel of oil.

Do you have any opinion on US residential property?

I'm European with no assets in the US but am planning to relocate to the west coast within the next 12 months. I've been toying with the idea of buying a condo with a very small mortgage just to get on the credit ladder.  I don't really need it as an investment per se, but if it saves me a few points on a multi-million mortgage then it becomes worth it.