Author Topic: Marriage Minded Gays 1. Fundie Christian Court Clerks 0.  (Read 35612 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Marriage Minded Gays 1. Fundie Christian Court Clerks 0.
« Reply #250 on: September 07, 2015, 01:37:18 PM »
Does she not have the ability to remove herself by simply stating and holding to her statement that she will not interfere in others giving marriage licenses to gay couples?

She has already stated that the license isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Also, as such, how do we know she will not go back and nullify those licenses if she is released?

This is a woman who can go in and rescind every license that was produced and basically "unmarry" people right?

As I've said several times now, ban her from the office.  That's a much better alternative than locking her up. 

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #251 on: September 07, 2015, 01:38:03 PM »
As I've said several times now, ban her from the office.  That's a much better alternative than locking her up. 

Are you saying she can only fire employees when she is in the office?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #252 on: September 07, 2015, 01:42:27 PM »
Are you saying she can only fire employees when she is in the office?

I didn't say anything about her firing employees.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #253 on: September 07, 2015, 01:45:14 PM »
I didn't say anything about her firing employees.

But that's all part of it... if she can fire and hire employees, then she can fire anyone who she deems unworthy. Therefore, if she disagrees with someone giving out those licenses, she can fire them.

Even if she's not in the office.

Which will start an entirely separate law suit from whomever that employee is.

Honestly, the easiest and most efficient way, was the do this, or do that, or go to jail scenario.

She had options... She chose jail.

No one said, "Go to jail no-matter what." 

She had options, she CHOSE jail over the others.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #254 on: September 07, 2015, 01:47:06 PM »
I just explained the alternative:  fine her and ban her from the office. 

She wouldn't pay, this was explained. Hence the insisting. And can't ban/fire an elected official, this too was explained. So what's left?

If the Fundie officials are gonna be an issue, these backwoods shitholes really need to change their marriage licensing procedure. Fuck the signature.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #255 on: September 07, 2015, 01:47:44 PM »
But that's all part of it... if she can fire and hire employees, then she can fire anyone who she deems unworthy. Therefore, if she disagrees with someone giving out those licenses, she can fire them.

Even if she's not in the office.

Which will start an entirely separate law suit from whomever that employee is.

Honestly, the easiest and most efficient way, was the do this, or do that, or go to jail scenario.

She had options... She chose jail.

No one said, "Go to jail no-matter what." 

She had options, she CHOSE jail over the others.

The judge has taken over this whole situation, so I doubt anyone is getting fired.  Did she try and fire her employees?  

The judge has options and chose the most severe punishment, which should be reserved for criminals, not this woman.  

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #256 on: September 07, 2015, 01:48:43 PM »
I disagree with the judge.  A petty move to not fine her based on the possibility of someone else picking up the tab. 

Bringing her into compliance is part of the issue.  The bigger issue is ensuring everyone who is entitled to a license receives one.  That could have been accomplished by banning her from the office until she complies.  Indefinite jail time for something like this is just crazy. 

When someone is breaking the law on a class C violation, like pan handling, or loud noise, it's typical for the officer responding to write a citation for the violation IF that will end the violation. Otherwise they are instructed to make a custody arrest. Same situation here. Fining her would not change her behavior. It would serve no purpose. Jail sounds like it's heavy handed but it is the best option in this case. It's not only this hypocritical fundie that we should be concerned about, but we should send a message that if you refuse to follow the laws and you discriminate as an elected official, you too will see the inside of a jail cell.   

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #257 on: September 07, 2015, 01:49:17 PM »
The judge has taken over this whole situation, so I doubt anyone is getting fired.  Did she try and fire her employees?  

The judge has options and chose the most severe punishment, which should be reserved for criminals, not this woman.  

The judge gave her options. She chose to go to jail.

If you are rude to a judge in a court room, you can be found in contempt and jailed... Happens all the time.

Do you think rudeness is less criminal than what she's doing by ignoring a direct order? I certainly do, but it's jailed many a person anyway.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #258 on: September 07, 2015, 01:49:24 PM »
She wouldn't pay, this was explained. Hence the insisting. And can't ban/fire an elected official, this too was explained. So what's left?

If the Fundie officials are gonna be an issue, these backwoods shitholes really need to change their marriage licensing procedure. Fuck the signature.

It is assumed someone else would pay. So what?  

Firing and banning are not the same, so no, that was not "explained."

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #259 on: September 07, 2015, 01:50:36 PM »

When someone is breaking the law on a class C violation, like pan handling, or loud noise, it's typical for the officer responding to write a citation for the violation IF that will end the violation. Otherwise they are instructed to make a custody arrest. Same situation here. Fining her would not change her behavior. It would serve no purpose. Jail sounds like it's heavy handed but it is the best option in this case. It's not only this hypocritical fundie that we should be concerned about, but we should send a message that if you refuse to follow the laws and you discriminate as an elected official, you too will see the inside of a jail cell.   

What law did she break?  

Jailing her isn't changing her behavior either.  

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #260 on: September 07, 2015, 01:53:25 PM »
How different is this from some old school Southern judge refusing to marry an interracial couple? I'm sure we can find a bible verse to support such a stance.

I can't imagine the same support for this hypothetical judge, what with all the "racist!" backlash ... yet it's entirely consistent with what's happening here. And we should all find these hypothetical Christians hypocritical for not supporting my hypothetical judge.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #261 on: September 07, 2015, 01:54:35 PM »
What law did she break?  

Jailing her isn't changing her behavior either.  

When you refuse to obey a court order from a judge, it's an offense.

The point of being in jail is that it has in the past, certainly changed behavior, so give her some time. The RIGHT thing to do, would have been for this fundie who now refuses to do a function of her job, should resign.. If I decided that arresting people for smoking pot was against my beliefs.. I couldn't expect to maintain my job, why should she? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #262 on: September 07, 2015, 01:54:47 PM »
How different is this from some old school Southern judge refusing to marry an interracial couple? I'm sure we can find a bible verse to support such a stance.

I can't imagine the same support for this hypothetical judge, what with all the "racist!" backlash ... yet it's entirely consistent with what's happening here. And we should all find these hypothetical Christians hypocritical for not supporting my hypothetical judge.

Really?  What Bible verse supports a judge refusing to marry an interracial couple, and which judge used that verse?  

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #263 on: September 07, 2015, 01:55:06 PM »

The judge has stated he is also a Christian and doesn't agree with it, however, he is to uphold the law and this is the law of the land.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #264 on: September 07, 2015, 01:56:37 PM »
Deut 7:3-4

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #265 on: September 07, 2015, 01:56:59 PM »
When you refuse to obey a court order from a judge, it's an offense.

The point of being in jail is that it has in the past, certainly changed behavior, so give her some time. The RIGHT thing to do, would have been for this fundie who now refuses to do a function of her job, should resign.. If I decided that arresting people for smoking pot was against my beliefs.. I couldn't expect to maintain my job, why should she? 

She disobeyed a court order.  She didn't break some law related to homosexual marriage.  

Actually part of the reason we lock people up is prevent them from committing more crime.  Same thing could have been accomplished without locking this woman up.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #266 on: September 07, 2015, 01:58:56 PM »
Deut 7:3-4

lol.  It always cracks me up when atheists quote the Bible chapter and verse.   :)

Which judge used those verses to deny performing interracial marriage in the United States? 

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #267 on: September 07, 2015, 01:59:17 PM »
Really?  What Bible verse supports a judge refusing to marry an interracial couple, and which judge used that verse?  

I'd have to find one, of course. But with all the pro-slavery shit in there, I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult.

Which judge? How many times must I type "hypothetical," sir?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #268 on: September 07, 2015, 02:01:01 PM »
I'd have to find one, of course. But with all the pro-slavery shit in there, I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult.

Which judge? How many times must I type "hypothetical," sir?

A hypothetical Bible verse in support of a hypothetical judge involving a hypothetical situation.  Sort of a pointless discussion, don't you think? 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #269 on: September 07, 2015, 02:04:54 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/15/interracial-couple-denied_n_322784.html

Not using a bible verse.. just racist.. but still amazing in this day and age..

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #270 on: September 07, 2015, 02:06:05 PM »
lol.  It always cracks me up when atheists quote the Bible chapter and verse.   :)

Which judge used those verses to deny performing interracial marriage in the United States? 

Were any of us around before 1967? Perhaps if we wanted to go through all of those cases before Loving vs. Virginia we might find something, that said, what difference does it make if there is or is not?

Certainly the groups used religion as the basis for the belief against it... Or do you believe everyone is just making that part up?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #271 on: September 07, 2015, 02:07:04 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/15/interracial-couple-denied_n_322784.html

Not using a bible verse.. just racist.. but still amazing in this day and age..

Completely different subject.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #272 on: September 07, 2015, 02:08:08 PM »
Were any of us around before 1967? Perhaps if we wanted to go through all of those cases before Loving vs. Virginia we might find something, that said, what difference does it make if there is or is not?

Certainly the groups used religion as the basis for the belief against it... Or do you believe everyone is just making that part up?

Who cares if some people twisted their religious beliefs to support discrimination decades ago?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #273 on: September 07, 2015, 02:08:32 PM »
Just an fyi, in case anyone is confused about this.   :)

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=552319.0

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #274 on: September 07, 2015, 02:09:18 PM »
Who cares if some people twisted their religious beliefs to support discrimination decades ago?

Isn't that what this is? Religious beliefs supporting discrimination today?