Author Topic: When was the last genuinely scary horror movie  (Read 8908 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: When was the last genuinely scary horror movie
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2015, 09:46:49 AM »
explain it case I missed it

The Babadook was a metaphor for the mothers grief about her dead husband. There was no babadook. The Babadook represented all the grief, sadness, etc that the mother felt.  At the end of the movie the kid asks his mom, "How was it today (the babadook)?" The mom says, "Its pretty quiet today." Meaning, her anxiety, sadness and grief about the husbands death was "quiet." She wasn't feeling all of those negative emotions. The Babadook (negative emotions) were at bay today.

From a movie site:

Now, on the face of it, this film may seem like a typical possession movie (even the Kickstarter campaign for the film descried it as such). Though, there is a strong case to be made that the events of the film are simply a representation of Amelia’s sorrow. The film is seemingly about grief and resentment that consumed both her and her son. Sam grew up without a father, he lives with a mother who keeps a locked basement with all his possessions. She clearly has at least some resentment built up towards her son as she finds him partly guilty for causing the father’s death. The kid feels that resentment and sees it constantly from his mother who has visibly gone off the deep end. The metaphoric shit starts hitting the fan when the boy goes into the basement, “releasing the demon” aka bringing stirring up strong memories for his mother.

This happens in cycles every year, hence Sam never having had a real birthday party. The boy feels like he caused everything and his mom reinforces this idea. This causes him to act out at school and also causes him great anxiety. The neighbor next door even says, “I know how hard this time of year can be for you..”

This is a reoccurring theme in both of their lives. They “protect each other” from it. He from her demons and her from his. The boy being tossed around was the mother’s doing. We learn that she sometime’s has out of body experiences (i.e. when she finds herself hovering over Sam with a knife out of nowhere). We as the audience see the boy being thrown around by nothing, but it is indeed the mother. The “possession” was simply the built up of memories/depression/resentment etc
X

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC č un asino
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2015, 09:49:24 AM »
She also used to write children's books in the story, so it's likely she was creating the book all along.
Y

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2015, 09:51:43 AM »
yup, Rec was another one.I also thought the USA version of The Ring was one of the only scary horror films id seen.

The ring was good.

I watched Oculus and it got me going a little bit.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2015, 09:52:11 AM »
Yeah, the internet has really made us far more immune to scares. After all, if we want to see horror now, we just can visit liveleak and watch a few videos of what real "horror" looks like. Movies just aren't going to have the same effect as they did in the past.

x2.

But you can tell the horror genre is trying to come up with new ways to scare people, i.e., blairwitch type movies.

Nothing cuts it any more.
X

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2015, 09:53:48 AM »
a

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2015, 09:55:58 AM »
The ring was good.

I watched Oculus and it got me going a little bit.

Probably The Ring for me.

Nothing fucked me up more than reading Pet Cemetary in one night. Shudder.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2015, 09:57:46 AM »
Probably The Ring for me.

Nothing fucked me up more than reading Pet Cemetary in one night. Shudder.

yeah books are much better

some good horror books make your skin crawl

you can paint a much better image in your mind

than a movie can recreate
T

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2015, 09:58:19 AM »
yup, Rec was another one.I also thought the USA version of The Ring was one of the only scary horror films id seen.

Agree, very well done.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2015, 09:59:11 AM »
sinister was good..

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2015, 10:02:59 AM »

House of Leaves. Only time a book sorta scared me.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2015, 10:06:05 AM »

Agree. That's why I am not so much into slasher/horror movies in the traditional sense as you don't use your imagination as the creature/person, etc. was/is revealed and imagination disappears. Plus blood and guts are more "disgusting" as opposed to "scary".

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2015, 10:12:15 AM »
sinister was good..

+1

Better check out now before someone fucks up the thread with Insidious, the stinkiest shitpile ever committed to film. Its success is exactly why we're getting garbage horror these days.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2015, 10:13:19 AM »
+1

Better check out now before someone fucks up the thread with Insidious, the biggest shitpile ever committed to film. Its success is exactly why we're getting garbage horror these days.
insidious was awful,,turned it off ..

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2015, 10:14:03 AM »

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2015, 10:15:09 AM »
+1

Better check out now before someone fucks up the thread with Insidious, the stinkiest shitpile ever committed to film. Its success is exactly why we're getting garbage horror these days.
I'll +3 that one. Went into it not expecting much (as per the topic) but liked it a lot.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2015, 10:16:44 AM »

My girlfriend, total sissy, who left the room during Paranormal Activity - f'n mad at me for making her watch - laughed at Insidious. Even she knew it was goofy as fuck.

Horrible.

Alucard

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2015, 10:22:26 AM »
x2.

But you can tell the horror genre is trying to come up with new ways to scare people, i.e., blairwitch type movies.

Nothing cuts it any more.
Agreed with both... Paranormal Activity was disturbing honestly, but in terms of "scary" i have to go back to 70s, 80s and some in the 90s, like that fucking Pennywise of IT who did give me nightmares when young... Never watched the original 1974 Black Christmas, seems great, i'll check it out soon...

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2015, 10:29:00 AM »
Scariest move in recent years has to go to Generation Iron.

I literally laughed at the absurdity of Serbian Movie when I watched it.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2015, 10:40:39 AM »
Agreed with both... Paranormal Activity was disturbing honestly, but in terms of "scary" i have to go back to 70s, 80s and some in the 90s, like that fucking Pennywise of IT who did give me nightmares when young... Never watched the original 1974 Black Christmas, seems great, i'll check it out soon...

Scared me. Even the second time, at home on DVD. Knew what was coming, and my heart was still pumping. And I never get scared watching a film, not genuinely.

They got it right, I don't care what any of the latecomer critics say. Same with Blair Witch.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2015, 10:57:02 AM »
Scared me. Even the second time, at home on DVD. Knew what was coming, and my heart was still pumping. And I never get scared watching a film, not genuinely.

They got it right, I don't care what any of the latecomer critics say. Same with Blair Witch.

the last two minutes of blar witch was creepy as fuck

the guy stood in the corner

the rest was shit
T

SquidVicious

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2015, 11:08:54 AM »
Insidious was pretty scary.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2015, 11:16:43 AM »
Insidious was pretty scary.

Not for me.

Out of Insidious 1-2, Sinister, Annabelle, Saw-series, Conjuring and Dead Silence i think i liked Sinister best.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2015, 11:25:37 AM »

Thats why I love books and why it's difficult to make a book into a good movie.

....Goodfellows being an exeption, read the book years before the movie came out and the movie was just as good.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2015, 11:26:53 AM »
I enjoyed sinister, first horror film I've liked in a while. Can't say I remember last time was scared of a horror as its my favorite genre and have been watching them from an early age, was scared shitless by puppet master when I was 8 or 9 or so but a few years later got into watching horrors and loved them, have been having regular fucked up nightmares since a child also so kind of used to it.
Am absolutley shit scared of paranormal and tales of ghosts and the such and a little bit scared of the dark and windows without curtains at night when lights are out haha pathetic I know

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2015, 11:31:07 AM »

Yes, PA had its moments, but as you said, you have to go back to the 70s, 80s, and 90s for a real good scare. The movie "IT" scared the shit out of me.
X