Author Topic: Every Set To Failure?  (Read 2963 times)

NickEdge779

• Getbig III
Every Set To Failure?
« on: September 06, 2015, 10:03:26 AM »
Do you personally train every set to failure?

For example, you do 1 warmup set to find out what weight is good for your next 3 working sets, then you do the same weight for all 3 sets, taking it to failure or like 1 rep short of failure every set.

So a typical exercise like DB Incline Bench:

70x15 warmup

100x12 failure on 12th rep
100x10 failure on 10th rep
100x8 failure on 8th rep

(or as close to failure as possible, like 1 rep shy of true failure)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Every Set To Failure?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 11:36:56 AM »
Might suggest (for what it's worth) at least 1 or 2 reps away from complete failure, on every set. Pl'ers and experienced BB'ers understand this.

Not over taxing the CNS (Central Nervous System) can allows almost complete recovery which is the key to steady progress in gaining strength and muscle size.  Going to failure every workout can whack out the body at times.

If your a juicer, than they may or may not help recovery time. Any drug will not always work the same on each individual. Some get amazing results, others notable improvement..and still .others..nothing at all in improvement. Drugs always seem to work best on the genetic gifted, who would be stronger and more muscular naturally, even if never touching a weigh in their life. I've met a few.

In some protocols, testing the muscle strength will require hitting a point of failure to check lifting progress. Maxing out in other words. Usually every third week, depending on the coach. Works fine for Olympic and PL'ers.

Good Luck.
F

plastic

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 01:53:51 AM »
I do not focus on failure every set.. I work more on progression (if I'm using correct terminology here). So first I find my one rep max then follow the following program 8x8 at 60 % of my one rep max. I focus on form and controlling tempo... time under tension. ( 2-1-3). I do this for 6 weeks then up weights to 85% of my 1 rep max found earlier and  do 5x5. Heavier weight so more explosive than previous focus on tempo. I do more compound type work squat, deadlift, bench, bent row, Chin ups and dips. I only use machines for low rows and some ancillary work cable machine for small muscles in shoulders. Im not a body builder so my work out style may not suit you. I hope this helps in  some way.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 02:06:45 AM »
Might suggest (for what it's worth) at least 1 or 2 reps away from complete failure, on every set. Pl'ers and experienced BB'ers understand this.

Not over taxing the CNS (Central Nervous System) can allows almost complete recovery which is the key to steady progress in gaining strength and muscle size.  Going to failure every workout can whack out the body at times.

If your a juicer, than they may or may not help recovery time. Any drug will not always work the same on each individual. Some get amazing results, others notable improvement..and still .others..nothing at all in improvement. Drugs always seem to work best on the genetic gifted, who would be stronger and more muscular naturally, even if never touching a weigh in their life. I've met a few.

In some protocols, testing the muscle strength will require hitting a point of failure to check lifting progress. Maxing out in other words. Usually every third week, depending on the coach. Works fine for Olympic and PL'ers.

Good Luck.

This.
You will get burned out quickly.