Author Topic: Getting bored with higher reps  (Read 3137 times)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Getting bored with higher reps
« on: September 11, 2015, 10:57:09 PM »
For the last couple years I been doing higher reps, 10-15 range. This is mainly because I am early 30s and getting some aches and pains from lifting so just want to use lighter weights with more reps. It has been fine as I have actually improved some things such as chest and forearms; however I just began to miss the feel of the bigger weights and also a little bit of the ego boost. So I'm planning on increasing the weights and dropping the reps down to 4-8 range.  Don't want to do this forever but maybe 10-12 weeks.

Anyone else get bored and do this?  Thoughts on if this is a good idea or not? 

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Getting bored with higher reps
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 07:20:34 PM »
Do what you feel. Whatever pushes you to lift more effectively will work best in my experience.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 09:04:38 AM »
I've mentioned this old BB'ing trick (lifting is full of little tricks to boost you along) about counting higher reps and making them seem lower, a couple of times before. This helped me years ago when I was into 20+ heavy breathing squats mostly. For me anyway, lifting can be as much a mental effort as a physical one. Have to get the mind set for any serious lifting.

If your rep target is 12 (for example) than try something like this. Instead of counting 1, 2, 3, 4, etc, add the word "and" between each numbered rep.

Example: 1..and..2..and..3...and. ..4..and...5...and...6.. .the final "and" will be the 12th rep. This can very from set to set, at times the last rep may not end on "and" but a number. No problem, adapting to this rep scheme is quite easy, reducing the mind into thinking that lower reps have been done just by the number count.

This counting rep trick also works extremely well on lower, heavier lifting, not just higher reps. If doing sets of 3's you will be counting 1..and..2 and your done with the set which actually means you have done 3 total reps for that set.

Good Luck..

F

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 01:49:01 PM »
Use same weights cut reps back to 10-12 is then do 2- 3 more sets to make up for the loss of reps is one way

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 06:18:49 AM »
I cycle rep schemes all the time.  Sometimes a MaxOT style is a good idea to gain a little strength without killing your joints.

8)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 07:59:42 AM »
even good old simple Pyramid training can help. work up the weight and back down. Of course you will not be able to do this with all exercises but the main meat and bones exercises. some just do a reverse pyramid going heavy to light but i think itīs bad. Do a real pyramid work up light to max and back down then feel it  ;)

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 08:15:50 AM »
Try do 20-30 reps. The burning sensation will overpower the boredom.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 11:41:46 AM »
For the last couple years I been doing higher reps, 10-15 range. This is mainly because I am early 30s and getting some aches and pains from lifting so just want to use lighter weights with more reps. It has been fine as I have actually improved some things such as chest and forearms; however I just began to miss the feel of the bigger weights and also a little bit of the ego boost. So I'm planning on increasing the weights and dropping the reps down to 4-8 range.  Don't want to do this forever but maybe 10-12 weeks.

Anyone else get bored and do this?  Thoughts on if this is a good idea or not? 
go with the reg park 5 x 5 routine for a while.
F

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 12:01:03 PM »
go with the reg park 5 x 5 routine for a while.

Seems like a good option. Always been a fan of his physique.