Author Topic: What is the fewest times a week you trained and made gains?  (Read 5095 times)

absfabs

• Getbig III
What is the fewest times a week you trained and made gains?
« on: October 07, 2015, 06:50:43 PM »
After seeing mike mentzer youtube where he says 2 sets every 7 days
wow
1 set squat
1 dip
wait 7
1 set deadlift
1 set underhand pulldown
wait 7
etc

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
Re: What is the fewest times a week you trained and made gains?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 01:28:54 AM »
Three...

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 09:22:11 AM »
A few men only do one workout a week and that is usually full body workouts. Seems to be making a bit of a comeback for some. But most will split the body parts up, to upper and lower, and train each one on separate workout day; example Monday-upper...Thursday-lower. It's two workouts a week, but one workout for the upper and lower body.

Fewest times for me has been once a week. Usually a Push workout. Next workout (that same week) a Pull workout. Legs are worked with the Pull sessions. So that's one workout per upper or lower body. Other times I have trained; Monday-Push. Wednsday-legs Friday-Pull.

I've also made good gains by just doing one exercise per workout, sometimes once, some times twice a week Like pullover and press, squat cleans, clean and press, etc. These heavy compound exercises are like money in the bank for increasing mass & strength, an in a somewhat shorter period of time. Working with serious intent, on these movements, also enters  into this also.

People who actually were there (opposed to what others may have read in magazines) and watch Mentzer, said he would do 3 or 4 warm-ups sets with some respectable weight. Than hit that 1 set max.  Doing forced reps, which included negatives when  positive reps were done.....sometimes doing static holds after the negatives..extremely intense work load.

Another guy watched as Mentzer took a client, who flew over from Germany, through one of the most brutal workout he had ever seen. Using the above positives, negatives and static holds. Was working back at the time.

Mentzer changed a lot of his view about training in later years, even to the extent of suggesting 3 to 4 (or more) weeks between training sessions. Guess his declining mental state, in later years, is well known to most on GB.

Good Luck.

F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 10:59:22 AM »
Didn't Mentzer build the majority of his physique before he became a "proponent" of HIT?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 01:36:11 PM »
Didn't Mentzer build the majority of his physique before he became a "proponent" of HIT?

he built his physique doing full body three times a week til '77 then after training four days a week, mon and thurs: chest, tri, leg and tues and fri: back, delt, bi

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 01:05:20 AM »
How I gained most my size, as a teen before gear...

Mon

Bench, inc bench,fly.....pushdown,dips..bb curl,seated db curl

Wed

Extensions,squats,leg press... Ham curl, calf raise

Fri

Wide grip chins, bb row, deadlift..... Military press,laterals, shrugs

Starting out you don't need anymore, and if I could hit the poundages as hard I would probably still train this way

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 05:53:57 AM »
Fwd:

plastic

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 02:08:49 AM »
I was a hard gainer. Volume and split body parts got me nowhere fast. So read a book called Brawn and Super squat and subscribed to hardgainer magazine. I trained twice per week full body routine using 5x5 and did 20 rep breathing squats. Got strong relative to my starting point and added 10kg in one year. Then changed to mon wed fri routine full body and made sure i squatted each work out. This worked good too. But everybody is different and you gotta do what works for you. I have small bone structure and not genetically gifted to be a body builder so it is what it  is. You can make decent gains on 2 x week only  but you have to totally bust it out!

obesebob

• Getbig I
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 02:18:01 AM »
Full body three times a week.In my late teens.Many years ago now.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 02:49:14 PM »
A few men only do one workout a week and that is usually full body workouts. Seems to be making a bit of a comeback for some. But most will split the body parts up, to upper and lower, and train each one on separate workout day; example Monday-upper...Thursday-lower. It's two workouts a week, but one workout for the upper and lower body.

Fewest times for me has been once a week. Usually a Push workout. Next workout (that same week) a Pull workout. Legs are worked with the Pull sessions. So that's one workout per upper or lower body. Other times I have trained; Monday-Push. Wednsday-legs Friday-Pull.

I've also made good gains by just doing one exercise per workout, sometimes once, some times twice a week Like pullover and press, squat cleans, clean and press, etc. These heavy compound exercises are like money in the bank for increasing mass & strength, an in a somewhat shorter period of time. Working with serious intent, on these movements, also enters  into this also.

People who actually were there (opposed to what others may have read in magazines) and watch Mentzer, said he would do 3 or 4 warm-ups sets with some respectable weight. Than hit that 1 set max.  Doing forced reps, which included negatives when  positive reps were done.....sometimes doing static holds after the negatives..extremely intense work load.

Another guy watched as Mentzer took a client, who flew over from Germany, through one of the most brutal workout he had ever seen. Using the above positives, negatives and static holds. Was working back at the time.

Mentzer changed a lot of his view about training in later years, even to the extent of suggesting 3 to 4 (or more) weeks between training sessions. Guess his declining mental state, in later years, is well known to most on GB.

Good Luck.

who was the client from Germany? when was this? I take it you are familiar with this site?
http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaur_training.html
While what you write is very similar. Are you the owner of this site or just a reader passing it on ?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 11:55:28 AM »
Funny jpm never answered this ;D

absfabs

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 06:06:18 PM »
After seeing mike mentzer youtube where he says 2 sets every 7 days
wow
1 set squat
1 dip
wait 7
1 set deadlift
1 set underhand pulldown
wait 7
etc

the only thing I can see about this is that you might grow each workout, and maybe that continual progress would add up

how to get proportion symmetry right is a ?