Author Topic: Any metalhead getbiggers?  (Read 205407 times)

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
Re: Any metalhead getbiggers?
« Reply #900 on: December 03, 2020, 09:50:01 AM »
I listened to all the Megadeth songs posted and I'm sorry guys, they suck compared to Metallica.  The song Washington Is Next has great guitar but Mustaine's voice just ruins the song and the lyrics are spotty at best.  Rhe song 1000 Times Goodbye is a beta simp song that has no business being on a metal album.  The other songs are just incomplete.  Great guitar but shitty lyrics and vocals.  Metallica's worst song is better than Megadeth's best.  There is a reason why Metallica has sold millions and millions of albums and Megadeth has sold far far less.

A lot of people feel this way. To me, Metallica went mainstream after And Justice For All. The song "One" really caught a lot of peoples attention. Metallica's first album Kill 'em All was essentially their best album when it comes to metal, it was more like Megadeth in many eyes and rightfully so considering Dave had much influence over it. Metallica was able to soften up over the years and get more attention. Megadeth was always raw and raspy, many people do not like Dave's voice. But the people that like Megadeth LOVE it.

Nothing made by either band after 1994 was worth a shit, maybe a few one off songs. Metallica's best albums are their first two. I even make an argument with people that their Black album is shit too. I hated Enter Sandman and Sad but True, however people loved those songs. I can't even listen to that album. My Friend of Misery is my favorite or maybe Unforgiven. Metallica changed over the years and stayed main stream-ish.

I still listen to Kill em All and Ride the Lightning all the time, but that's about it.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #901 on: December 03, 2020, 09:51:58 AM »
A lot of people feel this way. To me, Metallica went mainstream after And Justice For All. The song "One" really caught a lot of peoples attention. Metallica's first album Kill 'em All was essentially their best album when it comes to metal, it was more like Megadeth in many eyes and rightfully so considering Dave had much influence over it. Metallica was able to soften up over the years and get more attention. Megadeth was always raw and raspy, many people do not like Dave's voice. But the people that like Megadeth LOVE it.

Nothing made by either band after 1994 was worth a shit, maybe a few one off songs. Metallica's best albums are their first two. I even make an argument with people that their Black album is shit too. I hated Enter Sandman and Sad but True, however people loved those songs. I can't even listen to that album. My Friend of Misery is my favorite or maybe Unforgiven. Metallica changed over the years and stayed main stream-ish.

I still listen to Kill em All and Ride the Lightning all the time, but that's about it.

Dystopia was really good.    ;)   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #902 on: December 03, 2020, 09:56:07 AM »

Dave wrote many of their best songs . . . . .

BlackMetallic

• Getbig V
  • I am Jack's lack of HRT skills
« Reply #903 on: December 03, 2020, 09:57:32 AM »
[/youtube]

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #904 on: December 03, 2020, 10:34:43 AM »

I like every album Metallica put out including all the ones in the 90's.  I even like the album they did with the SF Symphony Orchestra.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #905 on: December 03, 2020, 10:36:46 AM »
The main reason is how soft (commercial) they went from their early days (more commercial, so more sales). 1st 3 albums were intense, after that sort of blah...
They did the right thing financially though. I saw them on Master of Puppets w/ Clif on Bass (open for Ozzy), it was amazing, brutal. Now they are a mainstream band.
I guess for those who only like metal Metallica went soft.  I like every type of music so look at Metallica as an ever evolving band and liked all their stuff.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #906 on: December 03, 2020, 10:40:48 AM »
I like every album Metallica put out including all the ones in the 90's.  I even like the album they did with the SF Symphony Orchestra.

Lulu was a FNG train wreck 

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #907 on: December 04, 2020, 02:14:55 AM »
What are you listening to these days?

Bro...
T

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #908 on: December 04, 2020, 03:19:54 AM »
Q

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #909 on: December 04, 2020, 06:01:24 AM »
Cool live vid:

Body-Buildah

• Getbig V
  • Creepy Joe Touches Kids
« Reply #910 on: December 04, 2020, 06:08:05 AM »
I guess for those who only like metal Metallica went soft.  I like every type of music so look at Metallica as an ever evolving band and liked all their stuff.

Still a great metal band. I also like most music (except for rap and fake junk). Very smart, very talented band. Especially Kirk.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #911 on: December 04, 2020, 06:08:54 AM »

I like different types of music too but I think people react to what they see as loss of autheticity. That is, a change in sound to appeal to a wider demographic to make more money.

There's this, what used to be, black metal band called Ulver. Completely changed their sound but the new stuff is quality too.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #912 on: December 04, 2020, 08:27:59 AM »
Still a great metal band. I also like most music (except for rap and fake junk). Very smart, very talented band. Especially Kirk.

Kirk was never an impressive player from a technical standpoint. He recorded a few memorable solos.

Since the eighties, he’s become less and less worthwhile. Indeed, his playing has seriously diminished. And as I say, he was never a monster-chops player.

I just received the new Lords of Black, Altars of Madness super deluxe reissue (Morbid Angel) and Destruction’s new live CD/DVD offering, Born to Thrash.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #913 on: December 04, 2020, 08:36:55 AM »

I think "One" with SF orchestra is one of the best live performances of a song ever.  Pure chaos and power.

However, the Black Album was the first album that showed cracks, and I  think adding Bob Rock f'd them up.  It has some decent songs, but stuff like The Unforgiven is putrid.

I felt everything after that was meh, until Death Magnetic and Hardwired.

Someone did an article how Load/Reload could have been Coldplay songs at that time, and vice-versa.  Seems correct.
Y

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #914 on: December 04, 2020, 08:56:47 AM »
      they just don't make nice tender ballads like this any more.
F

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #915 on: December 04, 2020, 08:58:22 AM »
BOOM!!!

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #916 on: December 04, 2020, 10:47:57 AM »
I like different types of music too but I think people react to what they see as loss of autheticity. That is, a change in sound to appeal to a wider demographic to make more money.

There's this, what used to be, black metal band called Ulver. Completely changed their sound but the new stuff is quality too.
Ulver is an interesting group.  They have changed their lineup so many times that they are really the same band in name only.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #917 on: December 04, 2020, 10:49:36 AM »
I think "One" with SF orchestra is one of the best live performances of a song ever.  Pure chaos and power.

However, the Black Album was the first album that showed cracks, and I  think adding Bob Rock f'd them up.  It has some decent songs, but stuff like The Unforgiven is putrid.

I felt everything after that was meh, until Death Magnetic and Hardwired.

Someone did an article how Load/Reload could have been Coldplay songs at that time, and vice-versa.  Seems correct.
I know Load and Reload got a lot of hate when they came out but I always found them to be great albums to listen to working out.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #918 on: December 04, 2020, 11:09:18 AM »
Ulver is an interesting group.  They have changed their lineup so many times that they are really the same band in name only.

I was listening to a lot of metal when their Themes from William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell came out. I remember I really loved it. It's not on Spotify so haven't listened to it in a long time. Also loved their more recent The Power of Love cover. Faggy but I loved it.  :D

BlackMetallic

• Getbig V
« Reply #919 on: December 04, 2020, 12:04:06 PM »
Kirk was never an impressive player from a technical standpoint. He recorded a few memorable solos.

Since the eighties, he’s become less and less worthwhile. Indeed, his playing has seriously diminished. And as I say, he was never a monster-chops player.

I just received the new Lords of Black, Altars of Madness super deluxe reissue (Morbid Angel) and Destruction’s new live CD/DVD offering, Born to Thrash.

Kirk WAHmett

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #920 on: December 04, 2020, 12:09:22 PM »
I know Load and Reload got a lot of hate when they came out but I always found them to be great albums to listen to working out.

It's all subjective, of course, but I didn't find anything of value there.

I think it was hearing Hero of the Day that made me ignore them, until I happened to hear All Nightmare Long and got back to listenting.

Growing up listening to Kill em All, MoP, etc made the Reload era feel like a giant step back.
Y

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #921 on: December 05, 2020, 02:02:59 PM »
Same here, most of the metal these days is just speed metal with silly lyrics.

Pantera had balls and soul, classic Groove Metal.
Metallica is great, new stuff not so much.
Megadeth has some amazing tracks and the guitar skills are incredible.
Slayer is still Slayer, i like their older stuff.
Iron Maiden
Anthrax to a degree

Back when the lyrics had meaning. I still listen to Pantera while working out a lot.

Even throw in bands like early Nine inch nails, Filter, Helmet, Marylin Manson, Korn, Alice n chains, Deftones, RATM. The early early music from these bands is very good metal.

Good shit.
I hear you dude, I'm into pantera metallica slayer megadeth ratt motley crue metal church napalm death cannibal corpse king diamond etc (tons of bands)

BlackMetallic

• Getbig V
« Reply #922 on: December 05, 2020, 02:13:24 PM »

Dave wrote many of their best songs . . . . .

Kill Em All tends to be called Dave Wrote Em All

BlackMetallic

• Getbig V
« Reply #923 on: December 05, 2020, 02:16:38 PM »
They should have put this song on Shout at the Devil

[/youtube]

BlackMetallic

• Getbig V