Author Topic: Middle-Aged men and Harley Davidsons  (Read 17710 times)

10pints

• Getbig IV
Re: Middle-Aged men and Harley Davidsons
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2015, 05:20:10 AM »
I disagree. What may be dirt cheap to you may not be for a guy with a mortgage and kids. My neighbor who is a cop and his wife a teacher with three kids was moaning about how he is going to have to come up with the money to buy a new washer.
What's a washer cost? $4-500 dollars. They make six figures between the two of them.

I don't buy the notion that every middle age guy that rides a Harley is going through a mid life crisis. it completely discounts the very real possibility that maybe they have always had Harleys since their twenties and have simply gotten older like we all do.

But it is the way of GetBig to always assume the worse in a person to make themselves feel better.  I see a middle age man riding a Harley or a expensive sports car I don't think anything of it. Some people just enjoy those things. I'm sure if many here saw Harley Briete, a middle aged man with his long graying hair and pony tail, will shake their heads and consider him another poseur trying to relive his youth.

You should start a HB fan club.

P.s. you are gay for HB

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2015, 05:28:42 AM »
You should start a HB fan club.

P.s. you are gay for HB

There's already one on the Harley Breite Appreciation thread. Something that will never happen to you since nobody cares and you're a nothing.

Compliment a guy and you're gay. How original.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2015, 05:28:46 AM »
People think Harleys are fast, but they're not.

Kawasaki kz1000 is fast...

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2015, 05:29:19 AM »
Close the office your wrong. If anyone over 35 or 40 buys something nice or sporty people scream mid-life crisis. Many do not buy those types of luxuries until that age because that is when the are financially capable of doing so.

x3  ::)

10pints

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2015, 05:30:42 AM »
There's already one on the Harley Breite Appreciation thread. Something that will never happen to you since nobody cares and you're a nothing.

Compliment a guy and you're gay. How original.

Admittedly, not original, but why mess with the getbig formula?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2015, 06:11:26 AM »
But it is the way of GetBig to always assume the worse in a person to make themselves feel better.  I see a middle age man riding a Harley or a expensive sports car I don't think anything of it. Some people just enjoy those things..

x4.

Most people this age just do things because they like them, and have the means.  There's no grand scheme or psycho babble behind everything.

It's just another case of the posters here who either have no real life experience in matters, or know of 1 or 2 examples in their personal life and project that to an entire population.
Y

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2015, 06:12:51 AM »
No idea why this is prevalent, but it is.

I fail to understand why a "mid life crisis" is always portrayed as a bad thing.  The media paints it as the "laughable buffon" who will soon come to his senses....hardee har har.

A man should always be evaluating his life.  He only gets one.  If he decides that he's gone one direction long enough then he has a moral imperative to change.

It's almost like a man's life has been pre-set for him and if he deviates from societies' plan he is to be mocked and ridiculed.  I see a correlation in this with the rise of feminism.

Trapper_Slapper

• Getbig IV
  • Clean and Jerks pull the bitches!
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2015, 06:14:04 AM »
Could be because that's the peak earning years for a man and they can finally afford one. A Harley is a luxury item as well as getting a sports car and most can't justify the expense when they are still building their lives.

Bingo. Many of my friends/associates would love to own a spec'd out Fatboy right now, but to purchase one now would be financially irresponsible.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2015, 06:25:02 AM »
I don't begrudge them buying a Harley (though I hate them-way too loud/annoying). Its when they suddenly start getting leather jackets/paraphenalia out of the blue that it is odd.

Those and indigo headlights are too of my least favorite things on the road.

Sokolsky

• Getbig IV
  • Sensory receptors succumb
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2015, 06:28:31 AM »
I don't begrudge them buying a Harley (though I hate them-way too loud/annoying). Its when they suddenly start getting leather jackets/paraphenalia out of the blue that it is odd.

Those and indigo headlights are too of my least favorite things on the road.

Buying into the 'lifestyle'.

Same behavior can be observed with roadcyclists. 10K carbon-bike that needs to be updated/replaced every year by another of the 'latest' model that saves 0,03gr. Of course with matching Rabobank or Videostar shirts and nutthuggers.

lilhawk1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2015, 07:32:40 AM »
The true riders I can understand, but they make up probably 1% of the guys that ride Harley's.  The rest are a bunch of guys that do it for attention because they can't get it with their looks, personality, etc.  these are the fucks that wear the whole outfit... Boots, vest, you name it, or better yet the cutoff shirt to show their fat, flabby arms.  As soon as they get on their loud, annoying hunk of metal they get the instant bad ass look.  They're instantly somebody.  Sitting at every stop light revving the piece of shit, what is the hunk of shit going to stall?  Then they get on it, and all you hear is a bunch of loud, shitty noise, and they've gone all of 50 feet in 10 seconds.  If the piece of shit isn't fast, then why do you drive it like it is? Standing outside of bars with a bud light in one hand staring at their pride and joy sitting there.  Great friggin time.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2015, 08:23:43 AM »
They are usually over 50 guys who ride Harley's. What 25 year old can afford a $25 k bike in addition to their car unless they are making monthly payments?  By the way if you are over 50 you are not middle age unless you live to be 100. You are old.

Most of these old guys get off on thinking they are outlaw bikers from the Hells Angels, Breed or Pagan. They wear imitation outlaw colors on their vests. Most trailer their bikes to events and then ride around town like they are real bikers.

I use to ride having owned 4 bikes. I have nothing against a guy riding a Harley hanging with their friends going on runs to an event or enjoying a ride. Harley's are an American tradition in riding a newly built antique designed motorcycle with dated engineering. I would rather ride a Ducati or a Japanese bike but that's just me.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2015, 08:39:32 AM »
Harley's are cool bikes, but that's were it ends. They are very overpriced. A 1980 Harley and a 2016 are very similar. They are using inferior parts compared to Japanese bikes that cost half and are using top of the line parts.

You buy a Harley to bar hop and to polish in the garage, not for serious riding. Of all the conventions I've been to, all the long rides, the iron butts, the touring groups. Never would someone attempt to do much on a Harley. They are too uncomfortable, vibrate like a jack hammer and burn too much oil.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2015, 08:42:19 AM »
Just as bad as a young guy buying a sports car, like a Lotus or something to show off how sporty he is. ::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2015, 08:44:40 AM »
Harleys are very expensive for what you get, especially considering you only get half a bike,, you are still going to pour big $ into it.

Have owned 5, my first bike ever was a 1983 XL, just out of college I got it.  

Still own an 80 FLH.  My last Harley for sure.

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2015, 08:48:21 AM »

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2015, 08:49:30 AM »
Plenty middle aged bikers over in UK and most do not ride Harleys.
I believe it is the motorcycle of choice for UK Gay Christian biker association. Guess they get a certain gay macho vibe from it.  Up here in Scotland we have a Gay Christian biker group called the "Queerosexuals" and they all ride Harley.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2015, 08:54:26 AM »
No idea why this is prevalent, but it is.
Doctors and lawyers trying to be cool on a shitty bike. Well, are HDs still shitty?  ???
A

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2015, 08:59:30 AM »
Interesting topic.

I just paid a visit to what is claimed to be the largest HD shop in existence here in LV and I agree that most bikers are middle aged for financial reasons ... as per GymRat's earlier comment.

The new ones I looked at were priced from $16,000 to $27,000.

Walter, what was the price of your first bike and what year did you purchase it?

I don't know a lot of bikers but the ones I do know have all been in various types of accidents (no deaths though!).

Here is the new Harley Davidson shop which is located on the south end of the LV Strip adjacent to the airport runway.

If you are interested n bikes... it's worth a visit.

AlphaGyno

• Getbig II
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2015, 09:21:30 AM »
Harleysexuals

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2015, 09:24:08 AM »
I wonder what I will buy when I am in my 50s..............?

ok, shoot.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2015, 09:26:32 AM »
Friends own and ride Harleys.  They look happy and ride a lot of miles, including to Sturgis and back a few years in a row now, camping out both along the way and while there.    Like I said, they look happy to me.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2015, 09:44:34 AM »
I disagree. What may be dirt cheap to you may not be for a guy with a mortgage and kids. My neighbor who is a cop and his wife a teacher with three kids was moaning about how he is going to have to come up with the money to buy a new washer.
What's a washer cost? $4-500 dollars. They make six figures between the two of them.

I don't buy the notion that every middle age guy that rides a Harley is going through a mid life crisis. it completely discounts the very real possibility that maybe they have always had Harleys since their twenties and have simply gotten older like we all do.

But it is the way of GetBig to always assume the worse in a person to make themselves feel better.  I see a middle age man riding a Harley or a expensive sports car I don't think anything of it. Some people just enjoy those things. I'm sure if many here saw Harley Briete, a middle aged man with his long graying hair and pony tail, will shake their heads and consider him another poseur trying to relive his youth.

Don't know what you are saying about buying a washer when the people you know are making 6 figures? People have mortgages, car payments and in some cases private school tuition to pay.  $400 is a lot of money if it's unexpected and this is coming from a guy that made over 100K for over the last 10 years.

People live up to their means. In the neighborhood I live in I think I make the least but we all make roughly the same. I enjoy the beautiful house and the investment that it is. People tend to make around the same as their neighbors in the same neighbor hood. If you made significantly more or less you would live in a different one. It's all relative. A $400 washing machine might be nothing to a guy making 40k living in an apartment making small car payments. It might be a lot a money to a guy making 100k that is making big mortgage and tax payments on a house.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2015, 09:45:37 AM »
Perhaps I am one of those middle aged buyers the OP is talking about.  The other day I was driving and saw this bike on the side of the rode.  About half a mile after passing it, I decided to turn around and have a closer look; when I was in my late teens I sort of wanted a cycle, but back then I had other priorities; I never even learned to ride.  Do I need a bike now?  No.  Would I ride it much?  No; maybe a couple times a month when the weather is good.  It would be a toy I keep in the garage.  In fact, I'd probably end up loaning it to one of my muscle buddies (BB related).  The sign on the bike said it was a 1999 model with 3500 miles.  The seller wanted $6800 or best offer.  It looked as if it had spent most of its time in a garage.  A good deal?  I had no idea.  Maybe I'd offer him $4k, $5k or $6k.  I snapped these pix and showed them to my buddy who knew more about bikes than I do (a couple months ago I recall he mentioned wanting a bike).  If he taught me how to ride it, I'd let him use it when I didn't need it.  I had bike fever for a couple days and even started looking at new HDs online.  Do I care how "fast" this bike can go?  No.  It would be a toy.  Nothing more.  Suffice to say the bike fever passed.

One of my neighbors (I'm guessing he is 57-62) has a HD.  He drives it around our community a couple times a week when the weather is good.  I have no idea if he ever takes it out on the open road; I suspect he is a very casual rider.  If I were to get a bike. I would use it the same way.  

Some people like to spend money on jewels and furs; some people like to go to concerts or sporting events; some people want to travel; some people like to ride a Harleys.  Bay likey. 8)

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2015, 09:48:55 AM »
Perhaps I am one of those middle aged buyers the OP is talking about.  The other day I was driving and saw this bike on the side of the rode.  About half a mile after passing it, I decided to turn around and have a closer look; when I was in my late teens I sort of wanted a cycle, but back then I had other priorities; I never even learned to ride.  Do I need a bike now?  No.  Would I ride it much?  No; maybe a couple times a month when the weather is good.  It would be a toy I keep in the garage.  In fact, I'd probably end up loaning it to one of my muscle buddies (BB related).  The sign on the bike said it was a 1999 model with 3500 miles.  The seller wanted $6800 or best offer.  It looked as if it had spent most of its time in a garage.  A good deal?  I had no idea.  Maybe I'd offer him $4k, $5k or $6k.  I snapped these pix and showed them to my buddy who knew more about bikes than I do (a couple months ago I recall he mentioned wanting a bike).  If he taught me how to ride it, I'd let him use it when I didn't need it.  I had bike fever for a couple days and even started looking at new HDs online.  Do I care how "fast" this bike can go?  No.  It would be a toy.  Nothing more.  Suffice to say the bike fever passed.

One of my neighbors (I'm guessing he is 57-62) has a HD.  He drives it around our community a couple times a week when the weather is good.  I have no idea if he ever takes it out on the open road; I suspect he is a very casual rider.  If I were to get a bike. I would use it the same way.  

Some people like to spend money on jewels and furs; some people like to go to concerts or sporting events; some people want to travel; some people like to ride a Harleys. 8)

Sweet ride, Bay.