Author Topic: Rubio calls Trump’s credit card attacks ‘ironic’  (Read 2655 times)

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
Re: Rubio calls Trump’s credit card attacks ‘ironic’
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2015, 04:17:49 PM »
No one "accidentally" uses a corporate card for personal expenses.  No one.

I generally agree with your post, however mistakes can and do happen. And I mean genuine mistakes. I have both personal and corporate AMEX cards. I once pulled out the wrong card and ended up using my personal card for a very expensive business dinner. It's not difficult to see why: both cards have the same general look and essentially identical graphics; the only differences are the presence of the company name under the cardholder name and the addition of "CORPORATE" on the background of the corporate card which is easy to miss, especially in low-lighting, since the font is the same color as the background and only has a thin black outline.

With all that said, I don't think that's what happened in Rubio's case. I don't know what to make of it really; it boggles the mind: he had serious political aspirations and was seen as a rising star in  your party, so why would he risk even the appearance of impropriety for a drop in the proverbial bucket?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2015, 04:19:44 PM »
But whatever could go wrong?

???

This part bothers me:

Then an adjustment.

IOW, a money-pissing culture existed which Rubio not only didn't stand against, he took advantage of it.

That's what it looks like, but maybe I'm wrong.

???

Nah.  He had a card taken out in his name and in the name of the Party.  They knew he was using it for personal and business purposes.  He paid for the personal expenses.  This is fairly common.  Nothing to see here. 

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2015, 04:22:30 PM »
Nah.  He had a card taken out in his name and in the name of the Party.  They knew he was using it for personal and business purposes.  He paid for the personal expenses.  This is fairly common.  Nothing to see here. 

No written policy?

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2015, 04:27:14 PM »
No written policy?

That's on the party though.

For instance, our policy here states that personal expenses are to be paid directly to American Express by the card holder.

Hence, why we have the option in our expense software to mark out charges and place them in a "personal expenses" bucket for us to pay out of our own pocket.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2015, 04:29:08 PM »
I generally agree with your post, however mistakes can and do happen. And I mean genuine mistakes. I have both personal and corporate AMEX cards. I once pulled out the wrong card and ended up using my personal card for a very expensive business dinner. It's not difficult to see why: both cards have the same general look and essentially identical graphics; the only differences are the presence of the company name under the cardholder name and the addition of "CORPORATE" on the background of the corporate card which is easy to miss, especially in low-lighting, since the font is the same color as the background and only has a thin black outline.

With all that said, I don't think that's what happened in Rubio's case. I don't know what to make of it really; it boggles the mind: he had serious political aspirations and was seen as a rising star in  your party, so why would he risk even the appearance of impropriety for a drop in the proverbial bucket?

All that booze probably didn't help!!

:P

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2015, 04:30:37 PM »
That's on the party though.

For instance, our policy here states that personal expenses are to be paid directly to American Express by the card holder.

Hence, why we have the option in our expense software to mark out charges and place them in a "personal expenses" bucket for us to pay out of our own pocket.

It is on the party, yep.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2015, 04:33:16 PM »
No written policy?

They should have had one, but it's not uncommon for there to be no written policy on that kind of cost sharing.  What it doesn't show is that he was "stealing" or really doing anything wrong.  It's a non-story. 

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2015, 04:33:34 PM »
Such conservatives!

::)

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2015, 04:34:45 PM »
They should have had one, but it's not uncommon for there to be no written policy on that kind of cost sharing.  What it doesn't show is that he was "stealing" or really doing anything wrong.  It's a non-story. 

Could it be said it shows weak leadership skills?

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2015, 04:36:55 PM »

For there to not be a policy for its usage, you could possibly make that statement.

While I don't think Rubio did anything wrong, it seems odd that in this day and age that there are not policies regarding "corporate card" usage in any large organization.

Especially one as well known as the RNC or whatever.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2015, 04:39:20 PM »

You could say that, but I don't think it's reasonable.  Just a failure on everyone's part to use best practices.  I would question his leadership if he repeated mistakes. 

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2015, 04:40:00 PM »
For there to not be a policy for its usage, you could possibly make that statement.

While I don't think Rubio did anything wrong, it seems odd that in this day and age that there are not policies regarding "corporate card" usage in any large organization.

Especially one as well known as the RNC or whatever.

Many times, I'm sure, you get a gang of folks that just love to spend money and have a great time (who can blame them?), and they want to keep the rules up in the air for as long as possible.

That might explain an absence of written policy.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2015, 04:44:43 PM »
You could say that, but I don't think it's reasonable.  Just a failure on everyone's part to use best practices.  I would question his leadership if he repeated mistakes

Each day he went forward with the knowledge of no written policy, it can be seen as a mistake. That's the problem in this case.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2015, 04:52:45 PM »
Each day he went forward with the knowledge of no written policy, it can be seen as a mistake. That's the problem in this case.

Meh.  Only if there were problems while it was happening.  If both he and the Party didn't have a problem with what they were doing, at the time they were doing it, without major hiccups, then I wouldn't call that a leadership failure. 

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2015, 05:01:14 PM »
Meh.  Only if there were problems while it was happening.  If both he and the Party didn't have a problem with what they were doing, at the time they were doing it, without major hiccups, then I wouldn't call that a leadership failure. 

Isn't the entire point, though, the fact that such a system makes it all the more difficult for problems to be stopped?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2015, 05:11:26 PM »
Isn't the entire point, though, the fact that such a system makes it all the more difficult for problems to be stopped?

Not necessarily.  If he isn't paying his portion, there is a problem, and it becomes apparent in 30 days. 

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2015, 05:30:15 PM »
Not necessarily.  If he isn't paying his portion, there is a problem, and it becomes apparent in 30 days. 

Are you saying it becomes apparent whether charges are appropriately handled?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2015, 05:41:52 PM »
Are you saying it becomes apparent whether charges are appropriately handled?

Yes, because payment is due in 30 days with AMEX. 

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2015, 05:50:05 PM »
Yes, because payment is due in 30 days with AMEX. 

That can't say whether charges are appropriate.

You can't say that a written policy isn't necessary to say what's an appropriate charge, and what isn't.  Can you?  (or am I missing something?)

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2015, 06:01:16 PM »
All that booze probably didn't help!!

:P

Booze always helps with business dinners... and hey, if my employer wants me to pay to drink, I'm up for that. I just need to be sober enough to use the right card! ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2015, 06:48:45 PM »
That can't say whether charges are appropriate.

You can't say that a written policy isn't necessary to say what's an appropriate charge, and what isn't.  Can you?  (or am I missing something?)

If they have an understanding that the card will be used for personal and business matters, then no personal charge is inappropriate so long as he pays it. 

Unless he is stupid enough to use it at a strip club or something.  That actually happened over here.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2015, 07:11:58 PM »

I do not believe for a minute Mr. Rubio accidentally used the wrong card.  His corporate card was AMEX; his personal card was MasterCard.  It is not easy to confuse those two cards.  And look at the context: a young man who did not have much disposable income who has champagne taste and a beer budget.  He was pushing to see what he could get away way with plain and simple.  The card, btw is only one aspect of his poor financial profile.  From his huge debts, to the boat purchase, to the foreclosure, to cashing in the retirement account, he is anything but a fiscal conservative.  :-X

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2015, 07:33:02 PM »
If they have an understanding that the card will be used for personal and business matters, then no personal charge is inappropriate so long as he pays it. 

Unless he is stupid enough to use it at a strip club or something.  That actually happened over here.

But we keep coming back to fact there's no written policy as to what's what.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2015, 08:26:33 PM »
and even hired his wife at undisclosed pay,

imagine if bill clinton was hired by a saudi billionaire for an 'undisclosed' $ amount and duties lol.

people wouldn't get mad at hilary, would they?

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2015, 08:59:53 PM »
I do not believe for a minute Mr. Rubio accidentally used the wrong card.  His corporate card was AMEX; his personal card was MasterCard.  It is not easy to confuse those two cards.

I agree - I don't think he confused the two cards or that this was a mistake and I think I made that clear. I was just pointing out that actual mistakes involving people using the wrong card do happen.

From his huge debts, to the boat purchase, to the foreclosure, to cashing in the retirement account, he is anything but a fiscal conservative.  :-X

It's generally a bad idea to cash out a retirement account, but I don't see anything inherently wrong with Rubio cashing out his retirement accounts, provided he paid the fines imposed by the IRS for cashing out. I also don't see anything wrong with his purchasing a boat.  As long as he's fiscally conservative when it comes to public funds and doesn't think he's entitled to reach into my pocket and get my money, I don't care how he spends his money - it's his to do with as he pleases. He could buy champagne to flush his toilet for all I care.

Sadly, all the Republican candidates leave a lot to be desired...