Author Topic: White Privilege  (Read 16054 times)

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
Re: White Privilege
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2015, 04:59:42 PM »
I do not disagree that welfare can be a huge issue. It was supposed to be a hand up, not a hand out, and a great many people... White and Black abuse that system.

Disproportionally it seems that the black community does it more so, I can't be sure, but it does "seem" that way.

None of it is good.

Absolutely, your how you portray yourself goes a long way. Acting like a banger is going to have people perceive you as low class while acting like you have some reasonable sense about you will typically have people perceive you as not a problem, but there are certainly exceptions to that and racism does exist.

Just not on the levels that I believe certain groups try to make it out to be.

If blacks are poorer (which in general they are) they will need welfare more - and therefore more will abuse it. Same as here in deprived areas welfare is rife, and abuse is more widespread. I had to deliver to a customer the other day. A heroin addict was being arrested by cops with his kid screaming crying. His partner was on ground being attended to by paramedics while overdosing. All white area, but social housing and major drug issue there. Can you imagine being a neighbour to shitbags like that and trying to do well by your children?

Well I know of one example. Katie Taylor - gold medallist in Olympics for Ireland grew up there (same estate). Her father Pete (former heavyweight boxing champion of Ireland) must have been some dad cos his other son won a scholarship with me to university and he won the young scientist competition. That is success in adversity, but the area is littered with drug addicts, scroungers and hopeless people. Hopeless as in they can't see beyond next week, the next meal etc.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2015, 05:43:24 PM »
No, that makes Johnathan Butler a liar, it does not negate white privilege.

You already know that though.

Reminds me of an old Sanford & Son episode where Fred steals a guys wallet, and the dude accused him first and Fred claimed it was because he was black. He said the guy was racist. Then when his son asked if he took it, he said yes. Similar situation I'm seeing here. Very confusing.

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
« Reply #127 on: November 12, 2015, 05:53:01 PM »
Anyone who buys into this 'white privilege' nonsense is a truly stupid, pathetic and weak minded individual.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: November 12, 2015, 05:55:27 PM »
Anyone who buys into this 'white privilege' nonsense is a truly stupid, pathetic and weak minded individual.

Forgot enabling.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2015, 06:05:26 PM »
Can someone please let me know what my "white privilege" exactly is so that I can properly respond when I have to apologize for having it?

For one thing odds are you can walk down the street, pretty much any street and not be fearful that some rouge cops will take you to the ground or possibly shoot you just because they have some stereotype in their head. Of could stereotyping works both ways. The white guy walking down the street could be a hired killer, a rapist or a thief.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2015, 06:18:18 PM »
For one thing odds are you can walk down the street, pretty much any street and not be fearful that some rouge cops will take you to the ground or possibly shoot you just because they have some stereotype in their head. Of could stereotyping works both ways. The white guy walking down the street could be a hired killer, a rapist or a thief.

Stereotypes exist because more often than not, they're based in fact not fiction.   This is only sad because it is true.  All too often, people are the source of their own stereotypes.  To change the perception, one must first change the cultural zeitgeist.  That can only be done at the source. As always, anyone can change but it's change for the better that's needed, my friend.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2015, 06:41:30 PM »
Stereotypes exist because more often than not, they're based in fact not fiction.   This is only sad because it is true.  All too often, people are the source of their own stereotypes.  To change the perception, one must first change the cultural zeitgeist.  That can only be done at the source. As always, anyone can change but it's change for the better that's needed, my friend.

I am glad you said "more often than not" because sometimes the stereotype is imposed by the mind of the beholder. For example, I have no problem with Black folks, probably because I actively try not to judge folks by something as superficial as skin color. However, I live in a Lilly white neighborhood, when I see someone who is black walking up the street, for an instant I think, what are they doing here?

The media focuses on the negative regardless the subject. It is a rarer that they will cover a story about a successful or heroic black person, but the media appears to have no problem covering black gang shootings and such. Both events occur whether someone in black, white, brown, red or yellow. The media taints our perception of this causing us to develop some instinctual stereotypes as a means of feeling safer. It's a hoax of course, but we never-the-less fall for it.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2015, 06:56:12 PM »
The blacks I've interviewed have had a sense of entitlement and absolutely did not want to start at the bottom, felt they deserved to be higher up with no experience. One actually quit cause he said sweeping floors wasn't his job, it was exactly the position he was hired for and when he was told that he said it was bullshit and only cause he was black. LOL, I've yet to hear that from any white, mexican or asian.

Just my experience. :)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2015, 06:57:46 PM »
The blacks I've interviewed have had a sense of entitlement and absolutely did not want to start at the bottom, felt they deserved to be higher up with no experience. One actually quit cause he said sweeping floors wasn't his job, it was exactly the position he was hired for and when he was told that he said it was bullshit and only cause he was black. LOL, I've yet to hear that from any white, mexican or asian.

This does happen a lot.

I find it absolutely disgusting. Scream equality, then want to be treated special. I hate it.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2015, 06:58:32 PM »

Right, those pesky head stereotypes. Because cops' only understanding of black culture comes from the D.W. Griffith films they show at the academy. Wise as an owl, old man.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: November 12, 2015, 06:59:45 PM »
This does happen a lot.

I find it absolutely disgusting. Scream equality, then want to be treated special. I hate it.
Right now we have a retired white guy that does the general cleaning around the shop and office, nice guy.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: November 12, 2015, 07:05:48 PM »

Then again, it could be because they are "Millennials". I will give you that the Latinos I've worked with are not only dedicated hard workers, they know what they are doing. I'm stereotyping of course, but Asians tend to be well educated and probably wouldn't be applying for a job sweeping floors. BTW, I've swept a few floors in my day. It's very relaxing. Sweeping a gym with a giant dust mop so that the wood shines before an event is very satisfying.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2015, 07:11:08 PM »
Right now we have a retired white guy that does the general cleaning around the shop and office, nice guy.

I've been thinking about doing this, not for the money of course because I don't need it (fortunately) and generally does pay a living wage, but because it would give me something to do and a place to go on a regular basis. There are days when I miss working and the social aspects of this....this must be one of them. It will pass.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2015, 08:14:44 PM »
I've been thinking about doing this, not for the money of course because I don't need it (fortunately) and generally does pay a living wage, but because it would give me something to do and a place to go on a regular basis. There are days when I miss working and the social aspects of this....this must be one of them. It will pass.
Basically why this guy is doing it.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2015, 09:02:48 PM »
I am glad you said "more often than not" because sometimes the stereotype is imposed by the mind of the beholder. For example, I have no problem with Black folks, probably because I actively try not to judge folks by something as superficial as skin color. However, I live in a Lilly white neighborhood, when I see someone who is black walking up the street, for an instant I think, what are they doing here?

The media focuses on the negative regardless the subject. It is a rarer that they will cover a story about a successful or heroic black person, but the media appears to have no problem covering black gang shootings and such. Both events occur whether someone in black, white, brown, red or yellow. The media taints our perception of this causing us to develop some instinctual stereotypes as a means of feeling safer. It's a hoax of course, but we never-the-less fall for it.

Right, we're all so very tired of media demonizing minorities.

To be fair, though, Cronkite has made an effort to use "coloreds" more lately, rather than his usual "those people"; and they've all been pretty good with "oriental" since the Japs surrendered.

Good point, though.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #140 on: November 12, 2015, 10:18:44 PM »
Right, we're all so very tired of media demonizing minorities.

To be fair, though, Cronkite has made an effort to use "coloreds" more lately, rather than his usual "those people"; and they've all been pretty good with "oriental" since the Japs surrendered.

Good point, though.

You can't be serious!

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2015, 11:04:41 PM »
You can't be serious!

I mention Cronkite in the present tense and you ask if I'm serious. Are you?

Tell me, when was the last time you saw a newsperson vilify a minority? Was it an Asian anchorperson? Or a thick-accented Hispanic field reporter with rolled Rs and Y-sounding double Ls? The queer Afro-weatherman, maybe, or the black, former-athlete sports guy? Because you haven't a clue.

I'm guessing you don't watch TV at all, and you get all your info from NPR - either way, you're about 50 years outta touch.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: November 13, 2015, 01:54:38 PM »
I mention Cronkite in the present tense and you ask if I'm serious. Are you?

Tell me, when was the last time you saw a newsperson vilify a minority? Was it an Asian anchorperson? Or a thick-accented Hispanic field reporter with rolled Rs and Y-sounding double Ls? The queer Afro-weatherman, maybe, or the black, former-athlete sports guy? Because you haven't a clue.

I'm guessing you don't watch TV at all, and you get all your info from NPR - either way, you're about 50 years outta touch.

Wow! You sure got wound up over this simple comment I made. I was being as satirical as you were. Guess you didn't get that.

Cronkite in the present tense might be a bit smelly.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #143 on: November 13, 2015, 03:06:02 PM »
lol. This little Asian girl wasn't suppose to say Black people can be racist. She's finding out first hand that it's a war against whites only...It's a sham girl. You could be raped by blacks and the media wont let you tell your story.

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
« Reply #144 on: November 13, 2015, 03:33:20 PM »
white people.... yay

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: November 13, 2015, 05:48:00 PM »
Wow! You sure got wound up over this simple comment I made. I was being as satirical as you were. Guess you didn't get that.

You weren't, though.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #146 on: November 14, 2015, 01:43:38 AM »
You weren't, though.

Are you trolling me?

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #148 on: July 29, 2016, 08:47:24 AM »
Perfect timing.  Don't let us down, Johnny.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #149 on: July 30, 2016, 08:16:26 PM »

Change privilege to 'ability' and it will be based in reality.