Author Topic: Barbell squat  (Read 7859 times)

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Barbell squat
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2006, 03:27:52 PM »
BB Hacks (on a 2" block or not) are one of the more superior exercises for building the quads. It is one of my favorite exercise. Think of BB Hacks as reverse DL's with more focus on the leg's themselves than the regular DL. As with the DL, it also affects the traps & back strongly. Machine Hacks, though good, don't seem to have that mass building quaility the BB Hack, a very affective compound movement, does. For building the quads think of BB Hacks, front squats and regular squats in that order. Good Luck.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2006, 04:23:06 PM »
The best quad/power builders, below; very simple. Also try the JPM "pussy" leg workout for anyone interested in a less effective, less intense workout (don't go to failure either, don't grunt, try not to sweat):

1/ Box squats
2/ Leg press
3/ Hack machine

Hack machine is far better, doesn't put pressure on the lower back and grip. What JPM completely misses as usual, the emphasis on barbell hacks is centered around the knee and teardrop area-not the desired area, and a nice way to have knee problems. Machine hacks avoid knee aggrevation and target the middle of the quads.

Go nuts, work those suckers, but whatever you do, don't make any noise. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2006, 04:26:37 PM »
I'm sure you pics as proof of your 'platzian' thighs too  :)
follow the arrows

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2006, 05:04:33 PM »
"Hater" is a more appropriate name. ::)

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2006, 09:47:15 AM »
wtf, hater? LOL! I jsut asked for proof of your claim. When did I "hate on you"?
follow the arrows

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2006, 10:37:50 AM »
I don't have to prove anything. Everything I've said is common sense-to some, like oh, top bodybuilders. I've probably been squatting longer than you've been alive.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2006, 12:47:03 PM »
You dont have to be that defensive. What I asked has nothing to do with your reccomendation of certain exercises. I'm not doubting whether your ways work or not, I just asked you to prove that you have 'platzian' thighs. And its not like I was being rude or anything, you could have just declined to post a pic, its as simple as that.

-edited for respect
follow the arrows

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2006, 01:04:54 PM »
The best quad/power builders, below; very simple. Also try the JPM "pussy" leg workout for anyone interested in a less effective, less intense workout (don't go to failure either, don't grunt, try not to sweat):

1/ Box squats
2/ Leg press
3/ Hack machine

Hack machine is far better, doesn't put pressure on the lower back and grip. What JPM completely misses as usual, the emphasis on barbell hacks is centered around the knee and teardrop area-not the desired area, and a nice way to have knee problems. Machine hacks avoid knee aggrevation and target the middle of the quads.

Go nuts, work those suckers, but whatever you do, don't make any noise. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh
what are box squats, pumpster?
d[-_-]b actin all cool

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2006, 01:10:06 PM »
I'm no pumpster but box squats are just that, squatting to a box. You can squat to boxes of various heights, high box squats, parallel box squats, low box squats, etc
follow the arrows

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2006, 01:17:37 PM »
I'm no pumpster but box squats are just that, squatting to a box. You can squat to boxes of various heights, high box squats, parallel box squats, low box squats, etc
oh....the football team uses those.  always that they wer just for pussies......they work better than normal  squats?
d[-_-]b actin all cool

monster triceps

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • RIP slobby :(
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2006, 02:32:15 PM »
No, you do box squats only if you don't know how to squat correctly.
young niggah greedy

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2006, 02:44:20 PM »
that is what i though too
d[-_-]b actin all cool

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2006, 03:15:35 PM »
Man that's dumb logic.

monster triceps

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2006, 03:17:55 PM »
Man you don't know anything about training.

Do your homework.
Now that's real.

TRI
young niggah greedy

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2006, 03:21:59 PM »
Other than showing profuse love for Milosevic, this guy has absolutely NOTHING to say except to complain. I think this is sarcasm under another name, probably about 5 names by now.

monster triceps

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2006, 03:25:32 PM »
Other than showing us he's in love with Milosevic, this guy has absolutely NOTHING to say except to complain. I think this is sarcasm under another name, probably about 5 names by now.

More complaining, why don't you go out and copy somebodys hard-written article and post it as your own, meanwhile I will be giving real advice.
Nobody take this 17-year old clown seriously.
young niggah greedy

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2006, 03:26:26 PM »
More emptiness. He gets off on spreading negativity, makes him feel better, when it works..

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2006, 03:53:45 PM »
Man that's dumb logic.
well i asked you what they were and you didnt respond...so what else should i think? looking t someone squat to a box...it just seems as if it would release tension on the quadds, therefore slowing gains.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2006, 05:56:59 PM »
Theyre not done only to learn how to Squat. Sure they can help you learn how to Squat by sitting back, but thats not the sole purpose.
follow the arrows

Odinn

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2006, 08:13:09 PM »

That's bullshit. The crew at Westside Barbell do box squats way more than they do regular squats, and they know how to squat.

Robert E. Lee

• Getbig II
  • The South Shall Rise Again!
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2006, 09:55:39 PM »
could someone go indepth into box squat explanation?
The General

monster triceps

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2006, 01:11:04 AM »
That's bullshit. The crew at Westside Barbell do box squats way more than they do regular squats, and they know how to squat.

And you obviously don't know why.

1) Training on a box will allow you to sit back onto the box to a point where your shins are past perpendicular to the floor. This places all the stress on the squatting muscles (hips, glutes, lower back and hamstrings.) When you can increase the stress on these muscles and lower the stress on the quads, then you'll be ready to see your squat poundages start moving.

2) Restoration is another major advantage of box squatting. You can train more often on a box when compared to free squatting. According to Louie Simmons, the original members of Westside Barbell in Culver City, California, used to perform box squats three times a week. Currently at Westside we train the box squat every Friday for our dynamic workout and occasionally on Monday's maximal effort workouts. If you're new to box squats, I suggest you do them once per week.

3) When performing box squats you never have to guess how low you're squatting. It'll always be the same. Think about it: when most people start adding weight to the bar, their squats get higher and higher. You see this all the time in any gym you go to. They look good with the light weights, then begin doing quarter squats when the weight gets heavy. With box squats, you'll always go low enough.

4) The last reason to box squat is to reinforce good squat technique. Many times for the intermediate or beginning squatter, the hamstrings aren't yet developed and "sitting back" into a squat is impossible without falling over backward. To teach these athletes how to free squat properly would take months. The squat wouldn't look right until the hamstrings and glute strength increases. Why wait two or three months? Put them on the box and you'll have them squatting properly within five minutes. Within one month the hamstrings will begin to kick in because of the added stress of sitting back on the box.

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=298dt2
young niggah greedy

Odinn

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2006, 05:01:42 AM »
Um, what happened to "No, you do box squats only if you don't know how to squat correctly."? 

Seems like that cut and paste job there gave two more reasons why you should box squat other than if you don't know how to do it.

And since I'm familiar with Westside Barbell and how they train, how the hell did you come to the conclusion that I'm unfamiliar with the benefits of box squatting? Monster logic  ;D

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2006, 05:08:44 AM »
Frontsquat,
the best excersise to make ass-to-ground squats. Better balance, and way more natural then the backsquat.
I also makes you feel what kind of muscle you use with squat.

Greatest disadvantage,
you can't lift a shitload of weight, cause your delts and neck aren't build for it. Olympic style could be an option, but I haven't mastered that technique yet.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2006, 11:03:05 AM »
It is for balance. When you are tall it is very hard to go below parallell  without tipping forward. It helps you keep your back more upright and not bend fwd at the waist.It helps me a lot to do this.