Author Topic: summary of working from another forum, agree?disagree?  (Read 8681 times)

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
Re: summary of working from another forum, agree?disagree?
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2015, 09:44:12 AM »
Most people are bitching because they have some sense of delusional self entitlement and a fantasy that just because they went to college, university, trade school etc or that they stay an extra hour after work they are going to get the big bucks.

It's all about money, thats it thats all.

You know what it takes to get to the top and that does not even have guarantees. 16-18 hour days, day in day out pursuing success in whatever you are doing with passion and fire. Oh and those first years of 16-18 hour days, day in day out are usually doing tasks/jobs that you and everyone else would despise.

The most successful people I have known personally over the years ate alot of shit and gave it back to get where they are. They cleans their own fucking toilets so to speak because they couple not afford an employee to do this.

People are fucking spoiled and think anyone living an easy or relaxed life just happened to get there overnight. Unless you are born with the silver spoon or connections you gotta suffer first to get there.

I wish I had all the qualities above when I was younger instead of just a few(work ethic I had, attitude could suck at times)

Just sayin

A large percentage of people aged 16-24 in the U.S. say they don't want to work.

http://time.com/3585786/young-americans-work/

Analysis shows increase in the percentage of teenagers and twenty-somethings outside the labor force

Nearly 40% of people in the United States ages 16 to 24 say that they don’t want a job, accounting for a sizable portion of the 92 million Americans who are currently outside the labor force, according to a new analysis of labor statistics.

30 years ago I didn't know one person over the age of 12 that didn't have a job.

Time to scrap this generation and start from scratch.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2015, 10:01:57 AM »
Serious, just give us the cliffsnotes, that link you posted is like a 20,000 word essay. So why was Bertrand Russell an evil man?

You must read the who.e crazy diatribe to get the full impact!  Seriously, I think it boils down to Bertrand Russell being involved in the justifications for developing nuclear bombs so there would be a weapon so fearful that global powers would need to coalesce around one world government, controlling all, which is antithetical to individual freedom. 

People, Bertrand Russell included, can't seem to grasp that what is gained by the theoretical efficiencies of central planning is more than outweighed by the losses from individual creativity being stifled. 

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2015, 10:13:56 AM »
A large percentage of people aged 16-24 in the U.S. say they don't want to work.

http://time.com/3585786/young-americans-work/

Analysis shows increase in the percentage of teenagers and twenty-somethings outside the labor force

Nearly 40% of people in the United States ages 16 to 24 say that they don’t want a job, accounting for a sizable portion of the 92 million Americans who are currently outside the labor force, according to a new analysis of labor statistics.

30 years ago I didn't know one person over the age of 12 that didn't have a job.

Time to scrap this generation and start from scratch.

I worked here when I was a kid.

http://www.stevescarcare.net/

The guy who started it (Steve duh) started this with nothing and worked full time at the airport and here for a couple of years until he had the success enough to stop working the other gig full time, plus he had another location I remember which I believe he later sold.

I had forgotten about him until this thread but he is one example.

Another man who once owned  a Swiss Chalet(BBQ Chicken Chain in Canada) I worked at sold it back to Cara foods(Parent company) and walked away a millionaire back in the 80"s. this location was the biggest and busiest in Montreal at the time pulling in like $3million a year in sales(1980's $$). He went on invest in a bunch of ski chalet's in the eastern towships. Guy started out in the early 70's as a French Fry cook at Harvey's Hamburgers(swiss chalets sister restaurant, burger chain).

My point is the dummies starting out in the Mc jobs or who refuse to do them can't see the forest for the trees.

Guy from my Dad's town off the Island has owned a few Mcdonald's locations since the mid 70's

BTW the guy Steve above gave up what would have been a career at the airport(I recall customs), unionized etc.

"

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2015, 10:22:40 AM »
He'll, I don't "want" to work or have a job.  I have to work.  Or I have shit and live off the dole, which I view as a sucky form of life.

Those 40 percent of kids who don't want a job, I wonder how many have ever seen someone in their family get up and go to work every day.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2015, 10:39:12 AM »
He'll, I don't "want" to work or have a job.  I have to work.  Or I have shit and live off the dole, which I view as a sucky form of life.

Those 40 percent of kids who don't want a job, I wonder how many have ever seen someone in their family get up and go to work every day.
This.
 The goal is finding a job that you like just enough not to freak out.  ;D
A

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2015, 10:52:24 AM »
It's like reading the ramblings of a crazy person.

Sounds like the type of idiot who sits on the corner of the highway on ramp with a sign that says, "Travelling across country. Need money."

I tell them to get a job. Save up. Then you can afford to travel.

Lazy idiots.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2015, 11:05:18 AM »
the meek shall inherit the earth  8)
a

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2015, 11:05:24 AM »
If you don't want to work and produce for society, then why do you live in it?

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2015, 11:32:43 AM »
Obviously you don't know shit about Bukowski because he worked as a mailman for 4 years and as a mail clerk (extremely tough job at that time) for 11 years and did many other blue collar jobs and loved it.  As a mail clerk he would put in 12-14 hour days, go home, get drunk, sleep an hour or two and be at it again.  He despised most who did not know how to do hands on, real work. 

He used to make fun of all the hippies and dared them to go deliver mail, saying they would not last two seconds out on the streets.

Bukowski hated all his jobs, he said they sucked the soul out of him. He was suicidal partly because of the jobs he had to do.
His body felt like a plank of wood after a day's work. Drinking and drugging was essential "to forget" his miserable existence. Complaining about work is a major theme in his work.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2015, 11:35:43 AM »
Bukowski hated all his jobs, he said they sucked the soul out of him. He was suicidal partly because of the jobs he had to do.
His body felt like a plank of wood after a day's work. Drinking and drugging was essential "to forget" his miserable existence. Complaining about work is a major theme in his work.

Complaining about .... Sounds like Navy Mike might have a career as a great writer some day.  #mypersonalhell

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2015, 11:38:29 AM »

Bukowski was severely abused by his father when he was a child. I think his drinking/drugging had a lot to do with that.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2015, 11:47:57 AM »
Bukowski was severely abused by his father when he was a child. I think his drinking/drugging had a lot to do with that.

Maybe, maybe not. I just think he simply loved alcohol, it opened up his mind. And like he said, drinking was like having two lives, one sober and one intoxicated, the drunken phase helped him recover from, forget, and tolerate the dreary, sober workday. Or helped with not having a job and money. If you had four walls and a bottle you still had a chance, as he said. :D

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2015, 01:34:33 PM »
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
-Charles Bukowski

“there are worse things
than being alone
but it often takes
decades to realize this
and most often when you do
it's too late
and there's nothing worse
than too late”
― Charles Bukowski

“Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them.”
― Charles Bukowski

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2015, 07:17:42 PM »
Probably didn't help.
V

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2015, 07:33:07 PM »
Probably the hardest working person i know is a mate who works for himself and has a low mortgage as he bought during the recession. He makes great money and a holiday home. He gets up at 5.30am or 6am, i work it out on when he gets my mesages, and works til 6 or 9pm. He is happy and hates time off. Any downtime in business he works on house. My dad is/was the same. Hates being without something to do.

On topic i hated every minute working shit jobs and do not notice time when working at something i give a shit about. I really feel for people who work in retail though, especially this time of year. Don't shop on 26th December. Fuck off. Wait for sales.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2015, 07:38:11 PM »
Probably the hardest working person i know is a mate who works for himself and has a low mortgage as he bought during the recession. He makes great money and a holiday home. He gets up at 5.30am or 6am, i work it out on when he gets my mesages, and works til 6 or 9pm. He is happy and hates time off. Any downtime in business he works on house. My dad is/was the same. Hates being without something to do.

On topic i hated every minute working shit jobs and do not notice time when working at something i give a shit about. I really feel for people who work in retail though, especially this time of year. Don't shop on 26th December. Fuck off. Wait for sales.
Not working probably gets old fast.
A

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2015, 07:38:21 PM »

The hardest working guy I ever met ran a landscaping business, built it from the ground up and made a small fortune, his second wife divorced him and took him to the cleaners, he has kids he is paying for from two marriages and lost most everything except his business (which he had to scale back dramatically).  In his late forties he ended up living in his factory for two years, he has just met another woman and is starting to try the relationship game again.  He is still a workaholic, but now also an alcoholic and incredibly bitter.  I have always tried to warn him about women, but he is one of these types who need to be married, needs to feel loved and cared for, even after all his negative experiences he still holds out hope the next women is different.  Poor bastard.
V

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2015, 07:42:25 PM »
Not working probably gets old fast.
NEVER. The key is to work to make enough money so you can work as little as possible. The only real valuable currency is your time, the goal of work should be to earn as much free time as you possibly can. JMO

The story of the mexican fisherman encapsulates this philosophy.

An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked.  Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna.  The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, “only a little while. The American then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish? The Mexican said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs. The American then asked, “but what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos.  I have a full and busy life.” The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15 – 20 years.”

“But what then?” Asked the Mexican.

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part.  When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions!”

“Millions – then what?”

The American said, “Then you would retire.  Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”
V

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2015, 08:11:20 PM »
NEVER. The key is to work to make enough money so you can work as little as possible. The only real valuable currency is your time, the goal of work should be to earn as much free time as you possibly can. JMO

The story of the mexican fisherman encapsulates this philosophy.

An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked.  Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna.  The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, “only a little while. The American then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish? The Mexican said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs. The American then asked, “but what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos.  I have a full and busy life.” The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15 – 20 years.”

“But what then?” Asked the Mexican.

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part.  When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions!”

“Millions – then what?”

The American said, “Then you would retire.  Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”

Oh please, can't you see what's wrong with this cheap pseudo-philosophy?

1. The mexican fisherman makes jack shit. He can't cover medical bills, if one of his kids suffers an accident or gets really sick then "hasta la vista chico".

2. The mexican fisherman doesn't make enough money to pay for his kids' education, so they end up taking dead-end jobs and bitching about it on the internet.

3. The mexican fisherman can't afford vacations in other cities, let alone other countries.

4. The mexican fisherman can't afford a washing machine, a computer, internet, cable, etc.

5. The mexican fisherman can't afford to eat properly and his diet is pretty basic/dull.

I'd take the MBA's approach, thanks.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2015, 08:22:17 PM »

1. The mexican fisherman makes jack shit. He can't cover medical bills, if one of his kids suffers an accident or gets really sick then "hasta la vista chico".

2. The mexican fisherman doesn't make enough money to pay for his kids' education, so they end up taking dead-end jobs and bitching about it on the internet.

3. The mexican fisherman can't afford vacations in other cities, let alone other countries.

4. The mexican fisherman can't afford a washing machine, a computer, internet, cable, etc.

5. The mexican fisherman can't afford to eat properly and his diet is pretty basic/dull.

I am sorry you are stuck in a job you hate, wasting and working your life away to make someone else rich.  I truly am sorry you have been unable to find another way.
V

el numero uno

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2015, 08:26:06 PM »
I am sorry you are stuck in a job you hate, wasting and working your life away to make someone else rich.  I truly am sorry you have been unable to find another way.

Fail. I really like what I do for a living.  8)

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2015, 08:27:55 PM »
Fail. I really like what I do for a living.  8)

I'm sorry to hear that, really I am.
V

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2015, 08:37:22 PM »

true.
trade job fishing?
he is happy with his family
he does care about that stuff tho. You're pushing you wants on him

again, Mexico is cheaper and you're pushing your wants on him

Different strokes for different folks. You or I might not enjoy a fisherman's simple life. But you can't say he is living a wrong life.
A

el numero uno

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2015, 08:45:34 PM »
Different strokes for different folks. You or I might not enjoy a fisherman's simple life. But you can't say he is living a wrong life.

Good point.

However money gives you access to a good healthcare system. Public healthcare programs in third world countries are horrible. Being able to pay for a private clinic is a matter of life or death.

Money also allows you to pay for your children's higher education.

Those two points are enough for me to believe the MBA approach is the best. But to each their own.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2015, 08:49:40 PM »
Good point.

However money gives you access to a good healthcare system. Public healthcare programs in third world countries are horrible. Being able to pay for a private clinic is a matter of life or death.

Money also allows you to pay for your children's higher education.

Those two points are enough for me to believe the MBA approach is the best. But to each their own.
Of course. Their healthcare is shitty as fuck. Just like any 3rd world country. Not the life for me either. Hell, call me spoiled but I don't even like visiting Mexico.  But some people would gladly trade him lives.
A