Author Topic: Your most memorable jaw dropping moment in bbing  (Read 16095 times)

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
Your most memorable jaw dropping moment in bbing
« on: January 06, 2016, 12:38:34 AM »

For me, it was in Pumping Iron. In those days we didn't really know much about bbers, at least for me being a young teen, and I never heard of any of those guys and didn't really know what it was all about. I actually thought that they just pumped some air or something and didn't think they really work out hard. That scene with Corney and Arnold changed everything. Also, from the few pics I saw of bbers they all had small flat waist lines but I didn't really know what abs looked liked.

When they first featured Serge Nubret in that film my jaw just dropped. It was just unreal. How each muscle just stood out with clear separation. They did a close up on his abs alternately contracting and relaxing as he breathe. I asked my friend, "What the hell are those cubes on his stomach?" Seems like an odd question today but in those days it was all new.

Upper body wise, as far as just standing relax, which is my favorite "pose", this is as good as it gets.

Anybody have that scene where they first introduce Serge in PI? I don't know how to isolate a particular scene in a movie.

"An unexpected entry in the tall class of the Olympia contest. Serge Nubret, 40 years old. Six feet, 200 pounds.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: Your most memorable jaw dropping moment in bbing
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 12:57:57 AM »
One memory that springs to mind was when we were kids,me and my training partner Ray Harris saw Dave Mastorakis and the Mentzer brothers at a downtown mall.

We had seen Dave before at the local YMCA where we trained but to see both Mike and Ray in person was insane.

The three of them were simply huge .....we followed them from a distance just marvelling at their size (no homo).

needless to say,we trained our balls off for the next two weeks "Weider Wildcat" style!   ;)

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 01:05:51 AM »
V

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 01:07:23 AM »
pellius,I`ve been in a slump lately,your post is gonna` make me pop in PI later today to renew my enthusiasm.

Thanks!   ;)

PS-Nubret was awesome.

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 01:22:44 AM »
Abs a thing of the past

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 01:25:40 AM »
Seeing Brian flockhart in Blyth asda when I was about 18, had seen pros in flex and plants bloated big but fat local lads but this was first time seeing a top level bodybuilder in person, was wearing a baggy whit tshirt tucked in and his shoulder/back width to waist ratio was so insane it didn't even look real.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 01:42:44 AM »
pellius,I`ve been in a slump lately,your post is gonna` make me pop in PI later today to renew my enthusiasm.

Thanks!   ;)

PS-Nubret was awesome.

You know, that is the only movie I've seen to this day that inspires, and still inspires me.

The night I first saw the movie  I went with three of my friends. The oldest, who was 16 years old and was the only one who could drive, was a real bodybuilding fanatic, which was kind of odd in those days. He worship Arnold and had huge arms. There were only two gyms on the Island, Mit's gym and a gym owned by Tommy Kono. Both were in town so most had home gyms. My 16 year old friend, John Kaiser, had quite a set up for those days. It was kept in a corner of a room IN his house. His mom was single and encouraged his weight lifting because she believed it would keep him away from drugs which is always a huge concern with good parents in Hawaii. Not only did he have a bench and squat rack but he actually had a serious of pulley machines that he made himself so he could do lat pulldowns and cable rows. That was really something in those days. I copied some of his designs for my own home gym.

After the movie, John drove us back to his house to show us his home gym. That was the first time I saw it. He also had a stack of Weider mags and posted a bunch of pics on the wall. I remember, when I became familiar with who they were, he had pics of Arnold, Louie, Franco and Robby. I think there was one of Waller as well. None of Nubret though.

Anyway, all four of us started working out in his gym like crazy. Must have been close to midnight. We all took off our shirts, looked in the mirror, and started doing the poses we saw in the movie making fun of each other. I remember standing in front of the mirror (he put up mirrors on one side of the wall) and said, "An unexpected entry, Pellius." And I started to flex my non existent abs. We measured John's arms and they were over 16 inches. It was a riot.

He didn't live too far from me and would ride my bike to his house to check out his mags and that's how I became familiar with the bbers of the day. I remember an article by Arnold that was titled "Ken, you've got to plug up those holes!" He also mentioned in the the article that Waller had "Fantastic, out of sight, calves!"

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 02:39:32 AM »
(No homo)

Being a few rows back from the stage at the 2001 NZ grand prix and seeing a prime Ronnie hitting a rear double biceps and rear lat spread, was pretty nuts. literally everyone in the audience was going wtf.

(No homo)
P

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 02:41:40 AM »
It was Olympic Lifting for me...Seeing my 10th grade biology teacher in a polo shirt...

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 01:02:13 PM »
Would also have to say seeing Pumping Iron. Everything about the movie. It changed my life as far as getting into Bodybuilding and training seriously with a routine.

Seeing Sergio Oliva guestpose around 84 or 85.

Seeing Paul Dillett in the gym in S.FL. the first ever before anyone knew who he was.

Seeing Flex Wheeler off-season before the 99 Olympia. He was doing an appearance at a supplement store. He said he was 289, he was cartoonish. His delts and arms were just ridiculous.

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 01:05:24 PM »
Saw Paul Dillett guest pose at the 98 Ohio about 4 weeks out from the O at 290lbs SHREDDED and hard. If he looked like he did guest posing he would have pushed Ronnie HARD

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 01:15:19 PM »
Seeing Lee Priest in the parking lot of Golds venice.  he was as tall as he was wide.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 02:49:08 PM »
You know, that is the only movie I've seen to this day that inspires, and still inspires me.

The night I first saw the movie  I went with three of my friends. The oldest, who was 16 years old and was the only one who could drive, was a real bodybuilding fanatic, which was kind of odd in those days. He worship Arnold and had huge arms. There were only two gyms on the Island, Mit's gym and a gym owned by Tommy Kono. Both were in town so most had home gyms. My 16 year old friend, John Kaiser, had quite a set up for those days. It was kept in a corner of a room IN his house. His mom was single and encouraged his weight lifting because she believed it would keep him away from drugs which is always a huge concern with good parents in Hawaii. Not only did he have a bench and squat rack but he actually had a serious of pulley machines that he made himself so he could do lat pulldowns and cable rows. That was really something in those days. I copied some of his designs for my own home gym.

After the movie, John drove us back to his house to show us his home gym. That was the first time I saw it. He also had a stack of Weider mags and posted a bunch of pics on the wall. I remember, when I became familiar with who they were, he had pics of Arnold, Louie, Franco and Robby. I think there was one of Waller as well. None of Nubret though.

Anyway, all four of us started working out in his gym like crazy. Must have been close to midnight. We all took off our shirts, looked in the mirror, and started doing the poses we saw in the movie making fun of each other. I remember standing in front of the mirror (he put up mirrors on one side of the wall) and said, "An unexpected entry, Pellius." And I started to flex my non existent abs. We measured John's arms and they were over 16 inches. It was a riot.

He didn't live too far from me and would ride my bike to his house to check out his mags and that's how I became familiar with the bbers of the day. I remember an article by Arnold that was titled "Ken, you've got to plug up those holes!" He also mentioned in the the article that Waller had "Fantastic, out of sight, calves!"
Cool!  ;)

Me and my friend Ray Harris who I  mentioned earlier,took a bus all the way to Boston just to see the flick.........was not showing in our city of Springfield,Ma.

Freezing cold,missed the bus back home and had to stay in the "Combat Zone" all night as it was the only place with shops open all night.........sleazy shops I might add!   :D

Never saw anything like it up until that time.

The movie still inspires me also, especially the part where I`m in it for all of 20 whopping seconds!   LOL  :D

US MUSL

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 03:09:59 PM »
When I first saw this book at the local bookstore.

US MUSL

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 03:13:45 PM »
I first saw Pumping Iron on my 10" black and white tv. It was on PBS and our 25" color tv would not pick up the station.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 03:23:24 PM »
Seeing Brian flockhart in Blyth asda when I was about 18, had seen pros in flex and plants bloated big but fat local lads but this was first time seeing a top level bodybuilder in person, was wearing a baggy whit tshirt tucked in and his shoulder/back width to waist ratio was so insane it didn't even look real.

He looked teeeny last time we seen him on the next table at one of the north Brittons, like his traps had been surgically removed, dunno what he's like now...

I seen Ian Harrison in a seminar when I was around 17, he was fucking huge, down to earth cool dude... Very honest with gear use etc

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 03:26:03 PM »

The night I first saw the movie  I went with three of my friends. The oldest, who was 16 years old and was the only one who could drive, was a real bodybuilding fanatic, which was kind of odd in those days. He worship Arnold and had huge arms. There were only two gyms on the Island, Mit's gym and a gym owned by Tommy Kono. Both were in town so most had home gyms. My 16 year old friend, John Kaiser, had quite a set up for those days. It was kept in a corner of a room IN his house. His mom was single and encouraged his weight lifting because she believed it would keep him away from drugs which is always a huge concern with good parents in Hawaii. Not only did he have a bench and squat rack but he actually had a serious of pulley machines that he made himself so he could do lat pulldowns and cable rows. That was really something in those days. I copied some of his designs for my own home gym.

Reading this makes me imagine some scene... like young kids wandering in their daily life and suddenly, in a barely lit room or some warehouse discovering something they became passionate about. A very good feeling, maybe even the best feeling there is.
It makes me remember when I first entered the gym,  I was 15yo, trainer showed me the standart routine, I was doing the movements, but could not understand anything, like a robot, kind of baffled. But after I was finished I left the gym feeling.........light, firm, like my stature changed INSTANTLY, that feeling I can't even describe, it was so powerful I instantly knew that is what I want to do, that's what makes me "tick", that's what became my obsession from that very first workout, that's what is still driving me more than ever, that's what makes me excited about the next workout when I'm only finishing current. That was my "jaw dropping moment". 

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 03:42:53 PM »
I first saw Pumping Iron on my 10" black and white tv. It was on PBS and our 25" color tv would not pick up the station.

Hah! I saw it for the second time also when it came out on PBS on a black and white Philco TV. When that part came where they had Arnold posing during the prejudging and everyone in my family was grossed out, my sister said, "That's how Pellius wants to look like." It was said in a mocking and sarcastic manner. And they all looked at me like a weirdo. One of my brothers looked  at me and said, "Really?"

I'm sure my sister doesn't remember this at all but it stuck with me. I was always kind of self-conscious lifting weights because my family always made fun of me. "Wow! Such big muscles", "Are you trying to get sexy legs" (while doing calf raises), "My brother the he-man. LOL!"

I use to hide my weight gain powder in my closet so nobody would see it.

Simple Simon

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 03:46:36 PM »
Seeing Lee Priest in the parking lot of Golds venice.  he was as tall as he was wide.
Hardly an achievement.  ;D

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 03:49:43 PM »
Another sight I`ll never forget is Dexter Jackson walking around the Southern States contest in Ft. Lauderdale the year after he won it.........had on no shirt and just a pair of farmers/painters jeans...........looked fucking amazing.

At the same venue a year or two later,I saw Tom Prince with a black hoodie on with black spandex tights........looked like a fucking cartoon charcter.

Then there`s always Jeff King who I saw almost daily.......mind boggling physique especially his quads and calves.

When Jeff walked across the gym floor,you could see almost every muscle fibre in his calves twitching and writhing under his skin.

DanzigBrah

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 03:54:19 PM »
I didn't realize serge was 40 years old in pumping iron? Holy crap I thought he was Arnold's age.....I guess black don't crack....for serge....

US MUSL

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 03:55:44 PM »
Then there`s always Jeff King who I saw almost daily.......mind boggling physique especially his quads and calves.

When Jeff walked across the gym floor,you could see almost every muscle fibre in his calves twitching and writhing under his skin.

I saw Jeff during this era. For a short time he worked at George Turner's Gym in St.Louis. His quads and calves were out of this world!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 03:57:18 PM »
I saw Jeff during this era. For a short time he worked at George Turner's Gym in St.Louis. His quads and calves were out of this world!
Yeah,he went from Springfield Mass to St. Louis for a spell.

Knew him since he was a freshman in college........looked great even then.

You could see that he had almost unlimited potential.

US MUSL

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 03:59:47 PM »
Another jaw dropping moment for me was sitting in the audience during the prejudging at the 93 Olympia. At the beginning of the show all of the contestants came on stage in two rows, on by one. Dorian was the last on stage, turned to the audience, flexed his lats, and it was show over! The entire audience gasp at the size/condition he was in.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2016, 04:00:01 PM »
Jesus you guys are too gay. Jaw dropping moment in bodybuilding. Fuck