Author Topic: Your most memorable jaw dropping moment in bbing  (Read 16001 times)

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
Re: Your most memorable jaw dropping moment in bbing
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2016, 12:37:36 AM »

This made me laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh, I will remember this for days to come and just laugh.
V

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2016, 12:53:29 AM »
Same. Specifically, Arnold squeezing out the extra reps on those flyes, and then standing up with his tits just gorged and hanging. Then when he performed concentration curls and flexed his arms after without the dumbbells. His biceps were ridiculous, and the physique simply inhuman, especially to a young kid. Entire experience was surreal.

Second was seeing Dorian on the cover of Flex in '93, six weeks before the O. Those famous black & whites, totally blew me away. Freakiest size I'd ever seen. As did the sneak peek a month before, I think, small color shot of his rear lat spread (maybe eight weeks out?). Couldn't believe the pic was legit.

HAH! Funny you should mention that. One of the reasons I joined Mit's gym that summer was because he had cables and I wanted to do that exact same exercise. When I got to the gym everybody seemed to be doing no doubt due to PI. When I did, Mit yelled at me from his desk saying a scrawny kid like me shouldn't be doing exercises like that. That was more of a "finishing" movement after you get some muscle to "finish". He said to stick with bench and squats and if I start to get some "meat on those bones" then I can consider doing cable flies.

Mit was always yelling at people from his desk. He didn't have a separate office or anything like that but just a desk in the corner of the gym floor which was tiny by today's standards. I could imagine how he'd be with all the kids today on their cells sitting around. He'd be sued and run out of business in no time.

Arnold always had a soft spot for Mit as he always took care of him when he came to Hawaii. While governor Arnold dropped everything and he, along with Franco, flew to Hawaii to honor Mit when he passed away.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2016, 09:48:51 AM »
PeLLIUS, sorry for getting off topic but you inquired and I'm doing my best to answer.

I'm definitely a Kama'aina but I'll go into those details when I send you a personal message as soon as I can get to it.

I don't recall how I met Hank and Val but it was sometime prior to their 'gym' opening and I immediately realized that I was meeting two exceptionally fine individuals.

I was somewhat skeptical about Nautilus and its founder in particular due to the fact that I had some personal discussions with a couple of well respected bodybuilders of that time who encouraged me to not believe in all the hype about this new way of lifting heavy things and about the Colorado Experiment in particular.

So I have to say that I was 'brainwashed' a bit and very skeptical about the claims that were being made concerning Nautilus muscle growth.

And Val and Hank were not the first in Hawaii to bring in Nautilus gear. A friend (DAN CAMP)  had a small Nautilus facility on the campus of a private high school behind the University of Hawaii, but that's another long story about a very interesting and decent individual whom I lost contact with long ago.

I think that I was more interested in the design of this new gym equipment and the fact that no one had to pick up all the weight off the floor when it came time to close up shop ... and definitely not about he claims that some individuals were making.

BUT .... I can't speak highly enough when it comes to Hank and Val. They were just two great people who did a lot of good for others in Hawaii and I was a bit disappointed to see them separated.

And I was told that Hank keep the gym (was there more than one?) and Val kept the Iron Man.

Val apparently got the better settlement and I have been told that she is now Valerie SILK.

JOHN KEISER was/is definitely a prison guard ..... which leads to another Hawaii story.

A group of us used to hold powerlifting competitions in the prison. That program went exceptionally well until the prisoners were allowed to enter a PL contest at one of the local high schools.

One of the prison contenders left the high school  facility and spend some time with his wife in the school parking lot.

And that was the end of that recuperation program.

About five years later I received a letter of thanks explaining why the program was stopped, with an additional statement that the events we did hold were one of the best programs ever held within the system but further explanation was never mentioned.

Last comment..... I was a friend of Ernie's since day #1 when he decided to be a bodybuilder. His big secret, if there really is a secret, was a diet of raw fish for a good number of weeks before his contest.

You could always find Ernie by following the scent of tuna.

Is the fish market still down across from Ward Warehouse?

Were you in town when Keith was planning on opening a modernized fitness facility in the building where the computer shop was located by ward?

Were you familiar with World Gym on the Ala Wai when Harold Mathews owned it? Some very interesting bodybuilding history started there.

Remind to tell you about the 'doctor' who dislocated joints and cured your ailments.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2016, 10:24:34 AM »
One great memory that blew my mind was seeing Boyer Coe guest pose in the early 1970`s in Boston or Worcester Mass.,......can`t quite recall but he looked fucking tiny in his Golds Gym black warmup suit.

Once he took it off after pumping up and hitting the stage,I had never seen anything like it before,or maybe even since..........split biceps peaks,marble columns for thighs,tiny waist,tissue paper thin skin, and insanely perfect posing..........like a work of art that somehow came to life.

This memory has always stuck with me.....he was truly impressive to behold.

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2016, 12:13:15 PM »
One great memory that blew my mind was seeing Boyer Coe guest pose in the early 1970`s in Boston or Worcester Mass.,......can`t quite recall but he looked fucking tiny in his Golds Gym black warmup suit.

Once he took it off after pumping up and hitting the stage,I had never seen anything like it before,or maybe even since..........split biceps peaks,marble columns for thighs,tiny waist,tissue paper thin skin, and insanely perfect posing..........like a work of art that somehow came to life.

Sounds like you're still hard for Boyer...

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2016, 12:25:18 PM »

The pic's been tampered with. Just saying.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2016, 01:12:35 PM »

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2016, 03:52:22 PM »
Sounds like you're still hard for Boyer...
I forgot to add the obligatory no homo.

NO HOMO   :D

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2016, 11:02:43 PM »
  With your ongoing history thread and and replies in this thread I'm just so in awe of you. How you seem to have managed to be everywhere and know everyone.

It was not so much the claims made by Jones that impressed me. Even at a young age I knew hyperbole when I saw it and took it with a grain of salt. It's his training principles and the design of his machines: full range motion, variable resistance (due to the cam design), isolation of the muscle.... that resonated with me.

When I was in the 11th grade (I had already graduated from High School when I met Hank and through him joined his gym) a friend of mine from school, Ron Johnson (who I believe became an attorney in Hawaii), who told me about this new type of equipment and training method that a coach he knew told him about. He wanted to take me to gym and take me through a workout. The "coach" was Dan and the equipment was all Nautilus. As I remember it, it was a long and narrow room with Nautilus equipment of each side position in order of how you were to perform the workout. As I watched, I was instructed that after a brief over all body warm up I am to move from exercise to exercise without stopping. The set is not to terminate until I cannot do another rep which was termed "failure". And you are to make a concerted volitional effort to take yourself to that limit and there will be a coach to make sure you are pushing yourself to that limit.

I was not the least bit intimidated and even motivated watching the other trainees grunting, groaning and moaning in pain. Seeing them dragging themselves outside after their session to get outside for some fresh air made me think that this was my kind of place.

I was put through the paces, was totally spent after only 25 minutes, and joined the others outside gasping for air. I smiled to myself seeing people just sprawled out on the ground heaving for air with one lying on the hood of a car.

After that training session I was sore all over but I then, surprisingly, quickly forgot about my experience there and went back to my old barbell traditional training (six days a week, body part twice a week). I simply wasn't able due to convenience to make the trip consistently to train at that gym. BTW, I didn't consider it as a gym per se but more of a casual training facility because it was so small. It was like a garage type gym similar to what, say,  Black Perry, use to have in his yard (I mention names now on the likelihood that you might recognize it).

Oddly, I never made the connection with that gym and the equipment when I was introduced, re-introduced, to Nautilus and Jones by Hank a couple of years later. My 25 minute workout was so brief and I was so caught up in the training session (due in no small part to the vigilant coach pushing me on) that I didn't pay much attention to the equipment I was using or even recognized the equipment when I joined Hank's gym as the one in that little shack on the campus.

I'm sure to the general public a diet of raw fish seems like quite a disciplined one. But sashimi as you know is quite a delicacy and it's a dream to be able to eat sashimi everyday. Things just worked out well for Ernie. Eating a healthy diet that he loves.

I moved back to Hawaii in 2006 and never got to reunite with Keith. I also rarely venture out into town and never checked out any of the other gyms. The only gym in my area is the 24 Fitness in Kaneohe. Not too happy with the gym especially when compare to the mainland. But I understand that shipping equipment across the Pacific is a huge cost so we don't get the most up to date stuff and what we have is so worn and old although they have recently got some new stuff ("Hoist" equipment which I am not impress with).

It's truly a pleasure and an honor reminiscing with you like this.

Alfurinn

• Getbig III
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2016, 11:11:21 PM »

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2016, 11:25:25 PM »

When I was training at the Nautilus gym in Hwaii mentioned previously
there was this guy who was a freak and put together perfectly.I was told he was just 19 years old and he looked so much like Boyer Coe. I asked asked the guy at the desk who that person was he told me it was Ken Cole and he had won the Teen America or something like that.

I was sure he was related to Boyer but was too shy to ask him. Decades later when his name came up I  noticed it was spelt "Cole" instead of "Coe". But still, the facial resemblance and propensity for muscle mass was quite a coincidence.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2016, 11:37:48 PM »
To Stuntmovie,

While living in Hawaii did you ever hear and/or meet Derick Kaneshiro? He was in my grade and to this day I consider the most genetically gifted physical specimen ever. I first saw him shirtless in the 7th grade at Niu Valley Intermediate school in the locker room after PE class. All our jaws dropped. I mean, he had abs, pecs, shoulders -- everything. He looked like a bodybuilder at just 13 years old. Even the coaches and PE teachers commented about him. In the 11th grade at 5'6" 165 lbs 16 years old, I personally witnessed him bench press (with a bridge) 455 lbs. He would do behind the neck presses for reps with 225 lbs. Full squatted over 500 lbs. He was so densely muscles even though just a teenager it was unreal. There is no way today anyone would believe that he would be natural. But in those days  nobody knew about steroids let alone how to get them and how to come up with the money to buy them. When you look like a Mr. America (which is what I said when I first saw him) at just 12-13 years old you are looking at a legit genetic freak. I mean, where is a 12 year old going to get steroids, let alone buy them and know how to use them, back in 1972?

Those are the times when I wish we had cell phones back them to take pics and vids showing this freak in action.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2016, 11:43:29 AM »
PELLIUS, Yes, I also think that Jones was a genius when he designed his Nautilua equipment but …..

I kind of, sort of recall, that maybe I saw that same cam design many years before Nautilus in an early Gold’s when Joe was building equipment …. or maybe, just maybe, I saw that cam design in Giironda’s gym on Ventura Blvd a short time after.

I agree that Jones was somewhat of a genius but I am still not convinced that you can build a pro physique by using Nautilus gear only which many people claimed when it was first introduced.

I could be wrong here but there may be a resurgence of Nautilus training with he increase in interest of this new Physique competition ... which I honestly believe is going to get very popular over the next couple of years.

So it  appears that you did meet DAN CAMP and trained in his facility on that HS campus … the name of which I have forgotten.

Good friend, STEVE DUSSIA, was a strong advocate of DAN’s facility and it’s possible that he may have put you through a few workouts to get you started … but that may have been long before you started training..

ERIK KANESHIRO … There are a hell of a lot of KANESHIROs on the islands and there is a strong possibility that I may have met him at one time or another.

I think he trained at Mike Scott’s and Gary Watanabe’s gym in Pearl City. Is that gym still there?

Black Perry? Do you mean “George”?

KEN COLE ….. Never met Ken but I did know Boyer and from the looks of Ken’s photo (see below) he does look like a very your Boyer.

Did you ever meet or train with BILL STAR? He was the UH strength coach and the author of ONLY THE STRONG WITLL SURVIVE. i helped him a bit and he gave me some credit and thanks when it was published.

How about GREG LEFCOURT? He promoted a contest there for roughly 30 years and pased away last August shortly after his Honolulu Police Department retirement.

The Watanabe family in Hilo? They had a decent gym there long ago.

Memory banks kicking in!

I hope that the other readers of this topic can relate to some of this Hawaii story telling. There is a lot of unknown bodybuilding history among those isles.

Mitch

• Getbig V
  • Team Succulent Ham of Peace
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2016, 11:53:51 AM »
The pic's been tampered with. Just saying.
I didn't know. Do you have a link to the original one?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2016, 05:59:17 PM »
I doubt that Platz's legs have been photoshopped.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2016, 06:21:02 PM »
PELLIUS, Yes, I also think that Jones was a genius when he designed his Nautilua equipment but …..

I kind of, sort of recall, that maybe I saw that same cam design many years before Nautilus in an early Gold’s when Joe was building equipment …. or maybe, just maybe, I saw that cam design in Giironda’s gym on Ventura Blvd a short time after.

I agree that Jones was somewhat of a genius but I am still not convinced that you can build a pro physique by using Nautilus gear only which many people claimed when it was first introduced.

I could be wrong here but there may be a resurgence of Nautilus training with he increase in interest of this new Physique competition ... which I honestly believe is going to get very popular over the next couple of years.

So it  appears that you did meet DAN CAMP and trained in his facility on that HS campus … the name of which I have forgotten.

Good friend, STEVE DUSSIA, was a strong advocate of DAN’s facility and it’s possible that he may have put you through a few workouts to get you started … but that may have been long before you started training..

ERIK KANESHIRO … There are a hell of a lot of KANESHIROs on the islands and there is a strong possibility that I may have met him at one time or another.

I think he trained at Mike Scott’s and Gary Watanabe’s gym in Pearl City. Is that gym still there?

Black Perry? Do you mean “George”?

KEN COLE ….. Never met Ken but I did know Boyer and from the looks of Ken’s photo (see below) he does look like a very your Boyer.

Did you ever meet or train with BILL STAR? He was the UH strength coach and the author of ONLY THE STRONG WITLL SURVIVE. i helped him a bit and he gave me some credit and thanks when it was published.

How about GREG LEFCOURT? He promoted a contest there for roughly 30 years and pased away last August shortly after his Honolulu Police Department retirement.

The Watanabe family in Hilo? They had a decent gym there long ago.

Memory banks kicking in!

I hope that the other readers of this topic can relate to some of this Hawaii story telling. There is a lot of unknown bodybuilding history among those isles.

I did not know there were other cam designs. According to his book he started working on the pullover machine (the first one actually brought to market) in the 1950s rejecting dozens of designs. Too bad Joe Gold or Vince didn't follow through because some of those early machines were horrible. But, yes, Jones' claims were very exaggerated.

Yes, I did mean George Perry. His brother, whom we just knew as "Black", lived across the street from me and I grew up with his sons Dennis and Ricky. If you know George then you probably also knew his son, Bruce. Bruce was maybe about five years old at the time and was already out their in the yard doing dead lifts and other exercises just on his own. He was a tough little guy and I'm sure he became a tough big guy. George Perry had these magnificent dogs that were both awe inspiring and terrifying for this young teen. Dogs I have  never seen before and I use to live right next door to a kennels in Palolo and grew up taking care of dogs.

You'd recognize the Derick Kaneshiro I'm talking about because he was just a freak. His extreme musculature would have been a dead give away. I would put him on par with Casey Viator when Casey was a teen but reading about Casey's lifts,  Derick was stronger.

I only had one work out at that Nautilus facility and that was probably in 1976.

I don't recognize any of the names of gyms you mentioned. I was away from Hawaii for nearly 26 years so was out of the loop.

Still can't believe you knew my old high school friend, John Keiser. I'm going to try to contact him and maybe I can convince to come with me to Vegas for the Mr. O so I can have the honor of meeting you and Harley in person and you can reunite and reminisce with John. That's something I'd like to sit in on.

Since I was with John for my first PI viewing it would be historic to be with him for my first Mr. O viewing 40 years later.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2016, 07:43:10 PM »
Forgot, also saw Victor Richards at a restaurant in Upland, CA (mid 90s, I'd say). Huge, obviously, but no jaw drop. Same with Bob Birdsong years earlier at my gym. Just eh.

Maybe because they were both rather short?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2016, 07:55:09 PM »
at the time looking back yeah it was pretty shocking,we were training and a call at the gym from a top npc guy that told the ownerof the  gym on the phone gossip confirmed  dennis newman had cancer before it hit mags and literally like right after his usa win..

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2016, 05:33:20 AM »
Disclaimer, this is a negative post. When I was in college in the very late 70's and early 80's bodybuilding exploded. Many of my friends were bouncers I hung out with during that time were drug using competitive bodybuilders. Jaws dropped in the club when they walked into the club wearing their muscle tee shirts. Many cycled drugs for over a decade. They all stopped using due to health, finances or even arrests. My jaw dropping moments happened in how they all look like they never did a push up in their life now.  They all seem to carry a dog eared picture of their glory back in the day in their wallet to show people.