Author Topic: how can i build my back...  (Read 1394 times)

chrisg

• Getbig II
  • "No! Try not! Do! Or do not. There is no try."
how can i build my back...
« on: March 10, 2006, 02:41:25 AM »
Namely I want to build my lower back becuz of throwing it out a couple years back lifting some ready to assemble furniture at my old job. I've had problems ever since. Once, I went on a backpacking trip to New Mexico in the mountains and after about two weeks of climbing mountains with 60 lbs. on our backs for about ten miles a day, once I got back home my back lower back didn't hurt for over a month. Coincidence? I don't know. But, I don't think so. I've got just free weights. A couple barbells, 15 lb., dumbbells, an EZ-curl bar which I don't think really applies, a bench, and weights of course. I have a membership to a gym but I'm quitting becuz of financial reasons. Soooo, what can I do to build my lower back AND what muscles SPECIFICALLY do squats work?? Thanks.
P.R.: ate four lbs p-butter in 3 days

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: how can i build my back...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 06:10:25 AM »
The climbing likely helped the back because it was moderate activity that indirectly involved the back amidst the use of many muscles synergistically working together. You should continue with the same generalist idea-daily activity like walking, bike, cycling, swimming, etc. would be the best long-term approach for your back. Hiking or rock climbing would be even better than walking given the greater varieties of motions involved, and would be the closest thing to what obviously helped your back previously. Skiing could also be beneficial if it doesn't aggrevate the back.

As far as working the back directly, take it easy. If you really have to work it, light motions like unweighted hyperextensions. You could try deadlifts, but I wouldn't. With your history, it would have to be very low weight and very high reps, just to get the blood moving.

Stick with natural activities that put the back through some indirect back motion without overloading it-walking, cycling, blading, running, hiking, etc. I wouldn't worry about "building"/stressing a problem back through the use of serious weight given your history.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 07:32:45 AM »
Good advice from pumpster as usual, i might also start very light, u sed e-z bar wudnt b gud, i disagree, put weight on, hold it like ur goin to do curl (wide grip curl),lean foreward and start doing underhand grip rows holding contracxtion at the top, i feel this just above lower back muscles. Also lie on ur front put finger tips on temples and raise shoulder/chest of the ground (hyper extension), do set every morning and night (or to start off-just once a day) of as many reps as u can.
I had ligament probs in lower right back, my dead and squat are coming along nicely but every so often for no reaseon bak can start hurting, i used to be worse but deadlifting and hypers (low rep weighted...or high rep lying on floor) hav helped strengthen muscles around the ligaments.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 09:12:15 AM »
Not sure what you mean by throwing out the back. Disc/muscle problem or both? Doctors advised now-a-days to move around and be active rather than staying in bed or take it easy until the back returns to a somewhat normal state. If you open your back door and a mountain's there ready for hiking than  that would be a perfect world for you. Hiking involves using your body weight +, one leg at a time, which can help self aline the spinal structure as well as affect any muscle imbalance that goes along with a out of line back. As you first move you might visit a medical professional to get some advice as to the cause of the lower back problem. If your disc is a problen than by all means see a doctor.Seeking advice from strangers on the internet is not always the best idea. Saying that, I might suggest seeing a chiropractor, acupuncturest, deep tissure massage, etc. A sports doctor, though helpful, is too much money for the average guy. My first choice would be acupuncture or deep tissue massage.

There are many exercise that can strengthen the back area and even help realine the spine and muscle imbalance.  Work the abs just as strongly as the lower back, each will balance out the other. Might try GoodMornings (exercise bar only) sitting on a bench and touching the chest to the bench each rep. Do not round the back and keep the head somewhat up and shoulders back as you do the movements. Next do a set of standing GM'ing with the knees slightly bent, again with only the exercise bar. Try 20 to 30 easy reps with both these exercises for two sets each, at least three times a week. As the back becomes stronger and you feel more confident than add weight each progressive workout. The low back is a very powerful muscle groupe once you train in the correct way. Couple of guy's I know use 300+ for GM'ings in their regular workouts. Do a set of ab crunches between each set of GM'ings, remember the link between the abs & lower back. This is the foundation of strength and does insure good back function. IN the mornings do 30 reps or so of standing GM'ing for a full stretch with the hand held behind the back only.

Might also try one leg step-up's from a middle height bench or sturdy box. This can mimic hiking/climbing which seemed to have a favorable effect on you. The bench/box is in front of you and you step up onto it. A one legged squat is when the bench/box is along your side as you press up with your leg. Athletes include step-up quite a bit in their training. Always a good idea to train the legs, from time to time, one at a time to be sure they are developing and gettin a equal amount of work. With squating, sometimes one leg is favored over the other. Can include both versions in a regular workout if you wish, step-up/one legged squat. You don't have to baby your back after making progress, only take a little precaution as you exercise.

I had a major disc operation (L4-L5 mostly) after my last game of college football. Surgery is always a risk but in this case there was no option. At present the back is strong and healthy (I'm one of the guy's who does 300+ GM'ing for example) and I do still lift very heavy but there are day's when it will tighten up a bit. That's when I do a lot of extra stretching. I also do Yoga movements quite a bit for body flexability. Good Luck.