Author Topic: What do you tell a Novice  (Read 6863 times)

Hendrix

• Getbig IV
  • Male Silverback Gorillas Do Not Take Drugs.
What do you tell a Novice
« on: March 13, 2006, 07:57:45 PM »
Had a 150 pound guy asking me how to get big at the time i was fully on about 5 months ago at which time i quit because of an altercation with the gym.I gave him some advice on diet and training splits, any way i saw him yesterday he had not gained a pound he was in despair.Anyway what advice do you give these gym monkeys without the genetics to put on mass.
BOBB SAPP KILLS

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
Re: What do you tell a Novice
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 08:01:27 PM »
probably wasnt eating enough
Valhalla awaits.

Bast175

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 08:01:31 PM »
Had a 150 pound guy asking me how to get big at the time i was fully on about 5 months ago at which time i quit because of an altercation with the gym.I gave him some advice on diet and training splits, any way i saw him yesterday he had not gained a pound he was in despair.Anyway what advice do you give these gym monkeys without the genetics to put on mass.

I just tell them to take flax oil, eat a lot of nuts/peanut better and eat more fruit, even eat more fastfood if they have to.  Easy stuff to increase fat and carbs.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 08:05:19 PM »
probably wasnt eating enough

...either that or overtraining.  The two biggest rookie mistakes.

Anyone can put on mass.  If someone claims they can't, they're doing something wrong.
Ron: "I am lazy."

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 08:15:27 PM »
Do 3 months of only Squats, Deadlifts and Bench/Dips increasing poundages each week and eat like pig! After 3rd month add other compound exercises, and 3 months later add isolation exercises. Wouldn't be shocked to see a 30 lb. gain in 1 year.

Lion666

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • You gotta bring it to get it!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 08:19:15 PM »
I just tell them to take flax oil, eat a lot of nuts/peanut better and eat more fruit, even eat more fastfood if they have to.  Easy stuff to increase fat and carbs.
yeah the "flaxseed oil" really worked for bonds.  ;)

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 08:24:34 PM »
Whenever I hear someone say they can't get bigger I jsut want to punch them in the face. It's not hard! Train hard...but eating is the key! It's not hard to drink a couple protein shakes a day or a weight gainer, go to fucking Mcdonalds and pig out! Eat, eat, eat!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 08:27:05 PM »
Whenever I hear someone say they can't get bigger I jsut want to punch them in the face. It's not hard! Train hard...but eating is the key! It's not hard to drink a couple protein shakes a day or a weight gainer, go to fucking Mcdonalds and pig out! Eat, eat, eat!

Damn skippy.

Taco Bell worked wonders for Tom Prince.

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 08:35:08 PM »
There's no way if you radically change your program...diet mainly, will you not make some good gains in 5 months.  Probably like most people, he half assed the diet portion of the plan.  Show me someone who eats 7x a day all clean foods, and plenty, who doesn't make gains?  He'll probably continue to eat and train mediocre for the next few months, then hit a cycle like the majority of 2nd rate juicers.  When you don't have what it takes to make it natural, stick yourself in the ass.  Yeah baby! 
Anybody regardless of genetics can put on decent mass natural.  Few go to the lengths of obtaining it this way though, props to those who do.
N

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 08:38:54 PM »
There's no way if you radically change your program...diet mainly, will you not make some good gains in 5 months.  Probably like most people, he half assed the diet portion of the plan.  Show me someone who eats 7x a day all clean foods, and plenty, who doesn't make gains?  He'll probably continue to eat and train mediocre for the next few months, then hit a cycle like the majority of 2nd rate juicers.  When you don't have what it takes to make it natural, stick yourself in the ass.  Yeah baby! 
Anybody regardless of genetics can put on decent mass natural.  Few go to the lengths of obtaining it this way though, props to those who do.

LOL... dude.

Chill the fvck out.  They're talking diet here.  You go to gear bashing.

You seem really really unhappy, man.  Like you resent people who use steroids.  If they are your motivation and it works for you, the super duper.  But you just always seem no negative, man.  You're gonna hve a heart attack in your 50s if you keep this up.  And the laid-back gear users wil walk your grave.  How fair would that be?

MorningPoop

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • BOB CHIC..WORLDS BEST "OLDER' BODYBUIILDER.
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 08:40:05 PM »
you tell the novice that he should continue working out and staying healthy but that bodybuilding is not for him. Not everyone can be a bodybuilder. It's a lifestyle that very few can stay consistent with. Most novice's of course get excited after a few days at the gym, they get a few goodworkouts in and think that they can be Mr.Olympia. They go up to the biggest guys at the gym and ask them questions about training and diet but 2 hours later they are drinking 40's and smoking bong hits with there friends. We are a special breed here.

body88

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 08:40:59 PM »
for a natural

croatch sure drops a riod ragin post or twp

weedoutheweak

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Kickin' it
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 08:48:07 PM »

Tell him not to follow Hendrix's advice!

phyxsius

• Getbig V
  • Mini Getbigger
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 08:59:26 PM »
Damn skippy.

Taco Bell worked wonders for Tom Prince.

ROFL!!
I am a mini beast

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 08:59:35 PM »
You seem really really unhappy, man.  Like you resent people who use steroids.  If they are your motivation and it works for you, the super duper.  But you just always seem no negative, man.  You're gonna hve a heart attack in your 50s if you keep this up.  And the laid-back gear users wil walk your grave.  How fair would that be?
I just call it like I see it.  Not really bashing gear, just the majority of users, there's a difference.  Some use it to enhance training, others need it just to make some kind of gains.  I know, who am I and to each his own...fuck that..haha
N

weedoutheweak

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Kickin' it
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2006, 09:00:34 PM »
I just call it like I see it.  Not really bashing gear, just the majority of users, there's a difference.  Some use it to enhance training, others need it just to make some kind of gains.  I know, who am I and to each his own...f**k that..haha

make more videos.

body88

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2006, 09:01:11 PM »
Tell that kid to go get the newest flex magazine..... After he gets that out of the way have him hit up " Max Muscle" for some clown I mean bodybuilding gear. Make sure he gets the red Otomix and some tube sox! If they don't have any spandex one piece's in improvise man, tell the little shit to get a womens one piece bathing suit and some long underwear.

1 rep max on EVRETHING... tell him to slam weights and eat babies!!!! YYAAA HARDCORE...

Hendrix

• Getbig IV
  • Male Silverback Gorillas Do Not Take Drugs.
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2006, 09:02:00 PM »

Tell him not to follow Hendrix's advice!
I gave him sound Advice.
DAY1 Chest,Shoulders,Triceps
DAY2 Back ,Biceps
DAY3 Legs
Repeat.
EAT 3500 to 4000 thousand calories over 6 meals using whey protien and creatine.
BOBB SAPP KILLS

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2006, 10:24:27 PM »
Actually on 2nd thought fuck all the rookies!!!

We were all rookies once, most of us had no concept of training...doing chest and bi's 3x a week w/ a million sets each. Shitty form, no concept of nutrition whatsoever. But overtime we learned on our own by asking others, reading up on internet, mags...etc. The key is the successful BBers here who have made noticable gains educated themselves. I've given plenty of advice to novice guys, not saying I'm a guru, but telling them basic stuff that was posted in this thread, eat like a fat chick and train smart. However I'd say 80% of the people at the gym gain a couple pounds and just give up.

I like it better being bigger than most of these skinny shits.

I think with my personal experience what made me stick w/ this BB crap, is that I just love to lift weights. At first when I started out I trained hard, but nutrition was shitty. Now I eat pretty clean and made good gains since I my first time doing bench/curls at 15.

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2006, 04:55:58 PM »
First of all,I don't see how you could assume someone is 150lbs just by looking at them. I have seen some extremely muscular people who aren't much over 150lbs...And some extremely skinny people who are 185+ at the SAME height.

Second of all,All of you monkeys saying "It's easy to get big..Eat big,Lift big..Wham!" are complete fools. If it were that easy to gain mass...Everyone would be a pro. The fact is...It isn't. Anyone claiming that gaining mass is "easy" is obviously going through the phase where they just started lifting and they experience massive results,Lift for a few more years and then come back saying it's "easy" Ok junior?  ;)

Third of all...Anabolic Steroids aren't just for 250lb pro bodybuilders. As a matter of a fact MOST of the users of AAS are non-pro's who have less than a year of lifting experience. Most of them are business executives or Twenty somethings looking for a nice "beach bod" for spring break..ect..ect.

Fourth of all...There is no such thing as "Over Training" as it is spoken about generally. As long as you CAN train,You CAN train..It's that simple. Taking an un-needed break in the middle of the week won't do anything for you if your muscles are already healed. If you're too sore to lift,Don't lift. If you're not..Then you can lift.
"Over training" is something popularized by the geeks over at Bodybuilding.com to say training 7 days a week is a bad idea since they themselves couldn't commit to something like that.
If I can train 2 hours a day and 7 days a week why not do it? If my body heals fast enough where I can train each muscle group atleast 2 times a week there isn't a reason I shouldn't do that if I have the time to do so.

Fifth of all...How many Pro's take Creatine? I mean REALLY take it as their supplement and not that muscle tech ad bullshit? My guess would be a very small percent.
Why? Because it's CRAP.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2006, 04:58:53 PM »
Fifth of all...How many Pro's take Creatine? I mean REALLY take it as their supplement and not that muscle tech ad bullshit? My guess would be a very small percent.
Why? Because it's CRAP.

I'd guess that creatine works well for pros, just as it does for most people.

While most people agree that most supplements are crap, I think the majority of people agree creatine does work.

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2006, 05:19:30 PM »
I say two words:

Dunkin' Donuts.

Special "Mr. Coolatta" Ed
BigNationRadio.com

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2006, 05:20:16 PM »
I'd guess that creatine works well for pros, just as it does for most people.

While most people agree that most supplements are crap, I think the majority of people agree creatine does work.

Competive bodybuilders would use whatever works well..However it's basically an unspoken agreement among most Pro's that creatine doesn't work well if at all for most people. Bob Chicerillo stated once that "Creatine I belive would not work for a Pro like myself but would work for teenagers just starting bodybuilding." Obviously a bullshit remark to push the sell of creatine to people since he's the spokesman for bodybuilding.com..Howeve r it does tell alot about what a Pro thinks about Creatine.(It's only worth is how much the companies pay me to endorse it)

Hugh G. Reqshun

• Getbig II
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2006, 07:59:55 PM »
Tell him to
*eat, eat, eat then eat some more. frequent meals, and dont eat diet food.
*train no more than 3 days a week (squats, dips, chin ups, bentover rows, BB curls)
* do a max of 4 sets per exercise, with a rep range between 6-8 (if he can do more with decent form, put more weight on)..

Alex

Damn right!!!

rufjunk

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2006, 08:03:16 PM »
I'd tell him to read up and buy Arnold's Encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding.

Keep working hard and see what works for him. No cookie cutter training program will make him gain 100 pounds..

I say you should encourage him and remark about how he's improved since you've seen him, point him in the right direction and tell him to keep working. He's going to get bigger after 100 workouts as opposed to 10...  make sure he keeps at it and eats every 3 hours.