Author Topic: Deadlifts???  (Read 1801 times)

sketer

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Deadlifts???
« on: March 16, 2006, 05:57:39 PM »
OK I hav been doing straight legged standing deadlifts...Does anyone else do these??
But the ultimatge question is does your lower back hurt like a bitch the next day or what part of the body does it hurt u the most, cas my freind goes to weight lifting for football and he said the coaches git mad when he does these type of deadlifts and uses his back and hes says that it can tear my back but I just figured it would make it stronger but can any1 give me som answers??

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
Re: Deadlifts???
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 08:40:08 PM »
OK I hav been doing straight legged standing deadlifts...Does anyone else do these??
But the ultimatge question is does your lower back hurt like a bitch the next day or what part of the body does it hurt u the most, cas my freind goes to weight lifting for football and he said the coaches git mad when he does these type of deadlifts and uses his back and hes says that it can tear my back but I just figured it would make it stronger but can any1 give me som answers??
You are going to feel these in your lower-back, but doing other exercises to help strengthen your lower back will help out a great deal, such as hyper-ext and good-mornings…also, having a strong mid-section will aid in doing these correctly. If your abdominal wall is week, it may cause your form to be less then perfect, especially if you go heavy with stiff-leg deads.

This lift does have its place but I wouldn't recommend building my ham training routine around them as your main exercise. Lying and seated leg curls along with lunges are your best exercises for hamstring development.

tipdog

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 04:04:43 AM »
From time to time, I get a bit sore; but, they are worth it.  For about 6 years, my lower back was very tight and I would get spasms in it so bad that it would take me 10 mins to stand upright after sitting for extended periods of time--however, since I started doing SLDL, I can get out of a car after a long trip and stand straight up immediately.

monster triceps

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • RIP slobby :(
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 04:41:27 AM »
Don't lock your knees on these and go light. I've been doing them for about 6 years and I only use 175 on them. It's not a mass excercise, it stretches the hams and brings out detail that way.
young niggah greedy

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 09:16:25 AM »
Might want to start SLDL's from just the height of the 45 plates if your interested in more power and development, with the prime focus being on the lower back. Bend the knees to releive some of the excess stress on that area and the small of the back (spine). Keeping them stiff during the exercise could cause more harm than good when heavy weight is used. Have the back straight at all times and the shoulders inline with the back as you lift. The lower back is a very powerful short range muscle group. The capacity to work into very heavy weight is possible in a rather short period of time invested in that muscle group. Can also work in a power rack (or set of boxes, stands, etc) where the bar would only be moving 3 or 4 inches, at the most, to a standing position. Any SLDL version can build a foundation of core strength if the exercise is preformed correctly and a favorable stretching/warm-up scheme is done before approaching heavy lifts.  The GoodMorning exercise also falls in the class of a muscle mass and strength builder. Be sure to work the abs just as strongly and heavy as the lower back. This insures balance to the pivot point of the lower bacK & ab wall. If you have excessive soreness or feel that the lower back really is out of whack the next day than you may want to check your form when doing SLDL's.

Most every football coach has a different slant on training. My coaches in college always included forms of SLDL's, GMornings & regular DL's in training sessions. Also did power cleans & HI-pulls which can develop the lower back muscles strongly. When approached with logic and correct style, the SLDL is an outstanding movement for the whole chain of rear muscles from the ankles all the way up to the neck