Author Topic: Smaller guys and strength  (Read 2286 times)

newdumbell303

• Getbig II
  • "get serious..."
Smaller guys and strength
« on: March 17, 2006, 10:43:53 PM »
I see kids at the gym, probably 19-20, and theyre not very big at all. They have very nice physiques and all, but not overal bulky by any means. What I'm asking, how do some 165lbs kids out there lift the weight they actually lift. I mean if some of these kids did a bulk phase their lifts would go up faster and that would be incredible.

So I guess my question is, how does strength factor into the size. Could it also be the age? I remember my body went through a stage and still is since im still early 20s where I can increase strength weekly even if only by 2 reps.

I know when I was 165lbs I couldnt Flat DB Press the 85lbers for 6.

This may be slightly confusing, but hopefully you get the point of this topic. Open topic, lets discuss.

Nathan

• Getbig III
  • 5'11 185 lbs
Re: Smaller guys and strength
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 05:07:28 AM »
I think it has alot to do with genetics, where the muscle bellies connect to the bone may give more leverage. ;) Another thing is what form you use sloppy or super strict will make a huge differance.
Another factor is probly hight, at least thats my guesse.
P

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 09:12:29 AM »
you think flat pressing the 85's for 6 is strong? no offense but that's weaker than shit.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

monster triceps

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • RIP slobby :(
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 09:17:40 AM »
It is pretty strong for an average person, who struggles with the 30 pounders on flat dumbbell press.
young niggah greedy

newdumbell303

• Getbig II
  • "get serious..."
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 01:52:48 PM »
you think flat pressing the 85's for 6 is strong? no offense but that's weaker than shit.

for a kid thats 6' and 165lbs I believe its pretty descent by all means.

Ledd

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 05:34:37 AM »
No doubt, thats not a bad db press at all, considering the age/height/weight of this kid.  Not EXTREMELY impressive, but still impressive enough.  When I started lifting a little over a year ago I could only use the 60's.........not that I'm proud to admit that. :'(

sustabob

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 07:36:16 AM »
I think age is a factor, somehow.

I'm heavier and better developed now than 15 years ago, and yet I was stronger then, no question...  ???

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 03:46:08 PM »
i know what you mean and how you feel! i see it at my gym as well! it does have alot to do with genetics and overall strength. i am not that big of a guy myself, and i'm not super stong in the gym either.  however, when i shake hands with dudes that tower over me, i'm always told i have a grip like a vise grip, and that if i squeezed any harder, i'd break bones. so. i'm strong in that area. (and nooooo, it's not cause i jerk off alot!!!)  ;D

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 04:49:49 PM »
i dont know where strength come from, some people just have it and some dont.

my brother, at 6ft 150lbs, 18 yrs old, benched 275. i still cant do that.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 06:13:47 PM »

Sarcasm doesn't miss a beat.
just push some weight!