Author Topic: Personal trainer a dumb career choice?  (Read 25900 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: Personal trainer a dumb career choice?
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2016, 01:03:48 PM »
He won't take my advice because he's already imagining himself as a big CEO yelling at his employees and making the "dimes" wet. He's already mentally picking out his Italian suits.

He won't.

This is the thing: there is no doubt that one can make a nice living out of being a personal trainer. Look at all the successful trainers out there. Granted, getbig is probably not the best place to seek advice regarding PT. So, I think that one can make a good living being a personal trainer. However, one also has to have specific characteristics when working with people or starting their own business. Flinestone has absolutely none of these. He'd probably try to have sex with mothers, then get a bad "name." He would then come on here and complain how it didn't work out.
X

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
  • Athletes representative for Grifted Nutrition.
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2016, 01:04:06 PM »
If you want to be a true "professional" then it's a viable option. But if you want to be one of the typical PT who are hired by a gym and barely stay accredited, then that is probably why people say it is no "career."

However, to be a PT is probably more likely to be an entrepreneur. I imagine there are some big chains in big cities that have a decent salary/commission, but how many people are gunning for that "dream job"?

On the contrary just look around any local moderate sized city and you'll see ads for PT services. I know there is a guy in my area that has a small little gym studio and appears to have made a "career" of it. But let's face it, he is more than a PT. He is a small business owner. That's likely the route a PT needs to take if they want a "career" in the field.

twitchfibres

• Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2016, 01:06:36 PM »
terrible career choice.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2016, 01:16:16 PM »
You are rushing into making a decision, give it ten years until you are 21.

He said he's 23 now.....somehow he jumped from 19 to 23 and managed skip 20,21, and 22!

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
  • Athletes representative for Grifted Nutrition.
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2016, 01:19:31 PM »

He said he's 23 now.....somehow he jumped from 19 to 23 and managed skip 20,21, and 22!
Time is a curious thing.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2016, 01:20:57 PM »
Your not going to make any real money, but you get to workout all the time ;D
A

TheShape.

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2016, 01:59:17 PM »
A personal trainer isn't a career. Get into a skilled trade.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2016, 02:10:18 PM »

No shit. Thought he had that cushy exec job all lined up, with company ownership in the near future.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2016, 02:25:03 PM »
If you parents have money try becoming a pilot. I have friends who dropped out of college making the same as brain surgeons.

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2016, 02:26:39 PM »
ve toyed with the idea of becoming a lineman, my buddy is one and making 100k a year biggest idiot I know haha.

any advice appreciated

what is a lineman ?
K

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2016, 02:27:05 PM »
You were asking the same questions four years ago.

Just find something and stick to it for a while.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2016, 02:32:35 PM »
If you parents have money try becoming a pilot. I have friends who dropped out of college making the same as brain surgeons.

A pilot for what? Because the airline's pilots union makes sure that the new guys don't make shit. Hell, I knew a 777 pilot that made about $100k and that's close to the top.

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2016, 02:48:33 PM »

I've thought about this actually. I think for 70k you can become one in two years
l

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2016, 02:55:52 PM »
I've thought about this actually. I think for 70k you can become one in two years
my friend was trying to be one, he had to stop because he can't afford the hours.
A

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2016, 03:05:07 PM »

Seriously, do you want someone like Flinestones operating a plane? Just sit back and let that sink in for a moment.  :-\ :-\ :-\
X

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2016, 03:13:37 PM »
One of the biggest pussy slayers I ever met was a Pilot. In addition to
banging most of the Flights Attendants, the guy had women in every city with a major airport.

Sokolsky

• Getbig IV
  • Sensory receptors succumb
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2016, 03:13:49 PM »

peroni

• Getbig III
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2016, 03:16:42 PM »
personal training is good when your young and full of energy. but when you get older and life gets serious constantly hustling for more clients gets old. Its not a long term stable career. also when you get old, who would want to hire you? you can only rely on your looks and body for so long. think about it that way.

That all holds true if you are the stereotypical trainer, which most are, sadly. I've made a career out of it for 21 years as well as owning a gym for the past 9. It's knowledge and the implementation, and application of that knowledge to the particular clients which is what will set you apart. Anyone can count 3 sets of 10 reps, discuss their personal problems, ask for money, and model their physiques for "clients", but that's not what the job is when you do it on any kind of advanced level, which is the only way to have a sustainable, as well as interesting career.

I train several doctors, a host of athletes, pros and hopefuls, a lot of phys therapy clients, as well as some decently known entertainment industry people. I don't say this in an effort to impress anyone whatsoever, for even a minute, but simply to point out, that if you apply yourself as a student of the craft, learn anatomy, physiology, kinisiology, movement,  nutrition, etc,, etc, and are able to apply all of it to every INDIVIDUAL client, you'll be on to something.

peroni

• Getbig III
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2016, 03:20:44 PM »
A pilot for what? Because the airline's pilots union makes sure that the new guys don't make shit. Hell, I knew a 777 pilot that made about $100k and that's close to the top.

A client/friend of mine is a captain at Southwest and he makes @ $300k/year. He was a first officer for 10 years and has been in the left seat for just over 2. He has 18,000 hours on the books total, including military. Newbies get paid less, naturally, but the regional airlines pay virtually nothing, even to the captains he said.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2016, 03:31:58 PM »

Well, it definitely beats being a personal trainer. = )

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2016, 03:34:53 PM »
I've been told that this is a dumb long term  career choice although I do get clients easily.  The thing is my parents offered to help me out  so I want to take advantage of it while I can, I'm 23...not too old to turn my life around but by the time Im 25 I will be. I would like a respectable career by the time I'm 25-26..or at least on my way  to one.  My parents do quite well but I have a huge issue with asking them for money.

Right now  All I do is pretty much travel  and workout. Hey I can't complain, the problem is when people ask "what do you do?"  I just don't get any satisfaction telling people Im a personal trainer while all my friends are becoming doctors, lawyers, joining the military, etc. I feel like it also effects my relationships with the women I date, not so much in the beginning but as time goes on the  lack of depth in my life is obvious.

Should I go back to school and get a degree or would I be better off learning a trade at this point?  Im open to any suggestions. I like manual labor type shit......Ive toyed with the idea of becoming a lineman, my buddy is one and making 100k a year biggest idiot I know haha.

any advice appreciated

Being a personal trainer can be a career choice...you just simply have to move from training people to having your own team of trainers along with your facility.
A

el numero uno

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2016, 03:36:09 PM »
Seriously, do you want someone like Flinestones operating a plane? Just sit back and let that sink in for a moment.  :-\ :-\ :-\

Lmao

Not really, but if he gets serious about it I guess he (and the passengers) will be fine.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2016, 04:00:34 PM »
Dosent seem dumb to me, I'd fucking love to get paid to hang out in a gym all day training people

It's not nearly as fun as it seems.
?

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2016, 04:02:34 PM »
I've been told that this is a dumb long term  career choice although I do get clients easily.  The thing is my parents offered to help me out  so I want to take advantage of it while I can, I'm 23...not too old to turn my life around but by the time Im 25 I will be. I would like a respectable career by the time I'm 25-26..or at least on my way  to one.  My parents do quite well but I have a huge issue with asking them for money.

Right now  All I do is pretty much travel  and workout. Hey I can't complain, the problem is when people ask "what do you do?"  I just don't get any satisfaction telling people Im a personal trainer while all my friends are becoming doctors, lawyers, joining the military, etc. I feel like it also effects my relationships with the women I date, not so much in the beginning but as time goes on the  lack of depth in my life is obvious.

Should I go back to school and get a degree or would I be better off learning a trade at this point?  Im open to any suggestions. I like manual labor type shit......Ive toyed with the idea of becoming a lineman, my buddy is one and making 100k a year biggest idiot I know haha.

any advice appreciated
You are too proud to ask your parents for money yet you begged getbig the members for money to buy a car. You're the biggest liar in the world. I want the mods to change your user name to 'Billy Bullshit'

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2016, 04:32:54 PM »
You are too proud to ask your parents for money yet you begged getbig the members for money to buy a car. You're the biggest liar in the world. I want the mods to change your user name to 'Billy Bullshit'

Bahahaha!
Wizard of Truth laying down some serious knowledge, lol!!!!
?