Author Topic: Personal trainer a dumb career choice?  (Read 26056 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: Personal trainer a dumb career choice?
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2016, 04:34:36 PM »
Lmao

Not really, but if he gets serious about it I guess he (and the passengers) will be fine.

You have to like, know things to be a pilot. You know, you probably have to know a little about engineering, math, perhaps even basic physics.

Lets get back to talking about Flinestone being a personal trainer. He's safe there.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2016, 04:36:07 PM »
You are too proud to ask your parents for money yet you begged getbig the members for money to buy a car. You're the biggest liar in the world. I want the mods to change your user name to 'Billy Bullshit'

Its either a gimmick account or he's trolling.
X

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2016, 04:41:45 PM »
And if by some sort of miracle you do become a pilot you owe everyone on the board a heads up to which airline you work on as civil responsibility so we can all avoid any plane under your guidance.

Thanking you in advance,
Ritch
?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2016, 04:53:36 PM »
That all holds true if you are the stereotypical trainer, which most are, sadly. I've made a career out of it for 21 years as well as owning a gym for the past 9. It's knowledge and the implementation, and application of that knowledge to the particular clients which is what will set you apart. Anyone can count 3 sets of 10 reps, discuss their personal problems, ask for money, and model their physiques for "clients", but that's not what the job is when you do it on any kind of advanced level, which is the only way to have a sustainable, as well as interesting career.

I train several doctors, a host of athletes, pros and hopefuls, a lot of phys therapy clients, as well as some decently known entertainment industry people. I don't say this in an effort to impress anyone whatsoever, for even a minute, but simply to point out, that if you apply yourself as a student of the craft, learn anatomy, physiology, kinisiology, movement,  nutrition, etc,, etc, and are able to apply all of it to every INDIVIDUAL client, you'll be on to something.

True. When someone here's the word "personal trainer" they just assume you're a rep counter and because this is technically a bodybuilding forum most do see training beyond that.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2016, 05:04:59 PM »
A client/friend of mine is a captain at Southwest and he makes @ $300k/year. He was a first officer for 10 years and has been in the left seat for just over 2. He has 18,000 hours on the books total, including military. Newbies get paid less, naturally, but the regional airlines pay virtually nothing, even to the captains he said.

I am calling bullshit on this. Southwest only flies 737s and the UNION pay scale is based on the curb weight of the equipment with the 747-400 being the most lucrative. You friend is blowing smoke up your ass. A captain on Southwest is LUCKY to be making 6 figures.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2016, 05:26:56 PM »
True. When someone here's the word "personal trainer" they just assume you're a rep counter and because this is technically a bodybuilding forum most do see training beyond that.

Yes, we realize that a Trainer also needs to master the inspirational phrases like, "C'mon!" and "Don't Quit!" 8)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2016, 05:35:32 PM »
I am calling bullshit on this. Southwest only flies 737s and the UNION pay scale is based on the curb weight of the equipment with the 747-400 being the most lucrative. You friend is blowing smoke up your ass. A captain on Southwest is LUCKY to be making 6 figures.

Not what I read:

Airline   Co-Pilot/Year One   Co-Pilot/Year Five   Pilot/Year Ten   Pilot/Year Maximum
Southwest           $54,720                $123,619               $201,427           $205,872

X

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2016, 05:36:42 PM »
A personal trainer isn't a career. Get into a skilled trade.

Did PT full time from mid-20's up till early 30's.

Moved on to other career now...

But I have to agree with you,

A skilled trade will make much more - for the most part.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2016, 06:01:40 PM »

Should I go back to school and get a degree or would I be better off learning a trade at this point?  Im open to any suggestions. I like manual labor type shit......Ive toyed with the idea of becoming a lineman, my buddy is one and making 100k a year biggest idiot I know haha.

any advice appreciated

If you are currently making money at it…by all means be a trainer for now.  I would take classes in math, chemistry, physics, English and history at a leisurely pace so that you make good grades.

After the training starts to peter out (if it does), you will be in a position to branch in other directions.  The basic academics out of the way, you will be able to move in any direction quickly.  If you stay in the physical education business, the academic basics that you learn will do you good in advancing you profession.

(power or telecom lineman?)

grubbiergoose

• Getbig II
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2016, 07:25:00 PM »
Well, it all depends.

If your goal is to start your own personal training business/center, and you have a good business sense, a personal training job may be a good stepping-stone to this possible future career.

If your goal is to just be a personal trainer your whole life without opening up your own business, then I would not do it.

Conclusion: since you're not smart enough and too immature to ever start your own business, I'd advise against it. Pick a different career.

I am sort of in the process of looking at personal training certificates. I will probably go with NASM, if I decide to take the next step. This would not be my main career-it would be more because I enjoy doing it.

Why NASM? Just curious. I'm interested in getting a cert too just don't know which organization is best.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2016, 08:00:33 PM »
Yes, we realize that a Trainer also needs to master the inspirational phrases like, "C'mon!" and "Don't Quit!" 8)

In the gym I'm not a rah rah type of person but yes, I will use those. You use the same words even with a training partner. But with my teams I'm all over it. My voice is practically gone right now. Lol.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2016, 08:13:24 PM »
Consider a trade.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2016, 08:22:45 PM »
Consider a trade.

$30 per hour and not guaranteed 40 or $150-250 per hr guaranteed?

38-26-40

• Getbig IV
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2016, 08:25:24 PM »
personal training is good when your young and full of energy. but when you get older and life gets serious constantly hustling for more clients gets old. Its not a long term stable career. also when you get old, who would want to hire you? you can only rely on your looks and body for so long. think about it that way.

This! Very well said my friend

Then again, most of my friends are linemen and make bank. HARD work, but great $ to be made

Then there's my trainer, who's 41, has enough clients to see 7-10 a day for 6 days a week. Charges 70 and up a session and makes it in cash. Good money (not great) for just being at the gym all day

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2016, 08:31:35 PM »
Why NASM? Just curious. I'm interested in getting a cert too just don't know which organization is best.

Go the Vince Goodrum route. Pick a few letters at random and place them after your name. 8)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2016, 08:56:25 PM »
If you have a good build and know what you're doing, you can do well as a trainer.

Its even better if you have some form of college degree, especially if you dont have your own business and are working for someone--places like to see college degrees, even if they do not mean much. They just like to see that "diploma."

But, its obvious that Flinstone will not go to college to get a degree in an exercise related field.

Maybe with his build and a CPT certification and some other credentials, he can do okay for himself.
X

Ken Fresno

• Getbig III
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2016, 01:17:02 AM »
what is a lineman ?

They drive the main road searching  for another overload.

Quite a busy job. They often need a small vacation.

heenok

• Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2016, 02:14:22 AM »
Most PT i see are mostly lowlives who do that on the side for a quick buck and usually the PT thing is a cover up to sell gear.
I dont get why people get a trainer where you have all the info you need online and gym facilities everywhere.

Tha Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2016, 04:37:59 AM »
As long as there is a decent market for something you can make good money in anything if you push yourself.

Look at the positives. You are only young and it takes time to gains skills in areas but you already have face to face skills dealing with people, motivating people, managing your time, planning things out. How many people are doing this at 23?

You can change careers in the future and you have this.

I have a business I wouldn't really talk about too much with people. No-one would believe what I do make. But I got there learning skills over the years and i'm just light years ahead of any competition i'm up against. I don't really care what people think but it would be hard to explain to a woman  :)

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2016, 04:49:16 AM »
training motivated people is probably fun but majority of your clients will be anything but that...

and hustling 24/7 for new clients seems like a pain in the ass.

+ shit pay

that said if you're kind of a one-dimensional person and training/fitness is the only thing you like to do then go ahead

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2016, 04:59:11 AM »

spiro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2016, 05:35:10 AM »
You aren't cut out for college. I doubt you would make much money being a personal trainer to unstable. You should go to a two year vocational school. Learn how to fix air conditioners or something like that.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2016, 05:52:01 AM »
training motivated people is probably fun but majority of your clients will be anything but that...

and hustling 24/7 for new clients seems like a pain in the ass.

+ shit pay

that said if you're kind of a one-dimensional person and training/fitness is the only thing you like to do then go ahead

When I did the job, many moons ago, the clients were mainly women with too much free time and money. So, if you were marginally knowledgeable, it came down to the trainer's personality and whether the client liked hanging out with you.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2016, 06:03:18 AM »
$30 per hour and not guaranteed 40 or $150-250 per hr guaranteed?

Someone charging the higher rate is running their business well and has developed great clientele.

I get that a great personal trainer isn't a rep-counter/cheerleader but that's probably what most people want. A friend struggled getting his training business off the ground despite having a masters in kinesiology.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2016, 06:20:42 AM »
Someone charging the higher rate is running their business well and has developed great clientele.

I get that a great personal trainer isn't a rep-counter/cheerleader but that's probably what most people want. A friend struggled getting his training business off the ground despite having a masters in kinesiology.

The gyms/clubs want Certificates for insurance purposes, but, the clients generally don't care. So, if you want to get certified, I would contact gyms in the area and see what they recognize.