Author Topic: Personal trainer a dumb career choice?  (Read 25838 times)

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
Personal trainer a dumb career choice?
« on: February 11, 2016, 10:38:03 AM »
I've been told that this is a dumb long term  career choice although I do get clients easily.  The thing is my parents offered to help me out  so I want to take advantage of it while I can, I'm 23...not too old to turn my life around but by the time Im 25 I will be. I would like a respectable career by the time I'm 25-26..or at least on my way  to one.  My parents do quite well but I have a huge issue with asking them for money.

Right now  All I do is pretty much travel  and workout. Hey I can't complain, the problem is when people ask "what do you do?"  I just don't get any satisfaction telling people Im a personal trainer while all my friends are becoming doctors, lawyers, joining the military, etc. I feel like it also effects my relationships with the women I date, not so much in the beginning but as time goes on the  lack of depth in my life is obvious.

Should I go back to school and get a degree or would I be better off learning a trade at this point?  Im open to any suggestions. I like manual labor type shit......Ive toyed with the idea of becoming a lineman, my buddy is one and making 100k a year biggest idiot I know haha.

any advice appreciated
l

epic_alien

Re: Personal trainer a dumb career choice?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 10:41:20 AM »
personal training is good when your young and full of energy. but when you get older and life gets serious constantly hustling for more clients gets old. Its not a long term stable career. also when you get old, who would want to hire you? you can only rely on your looks and body for so long. think about it that way.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 10:41:45 AM »
Since you have zero income.  Begged getbig for money to buy a pickup.  date only supermodels 10 and above, Any career choice for you is a good career choice.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 10:43:35 AM »
Dosent seem dumb to me, I'd fucking love to get paid to hang out in a gym all day training people

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 10:44:05 AM »
Serious advice: apprentice as a electrician or a plumber. Those fucking guys make bank.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 10:46:09 AM »
How many 40+ year old personal trainers do you see?

Not a Career. A stepping stone job, and a good way to spend your youth while determining what type of career you do want to pursue. You can make a decent living as long as you have no dependents.

a

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 10:47:53 AM »
Serious advice: apprentice as a electrician or a plumber. Those fucking guys make bank.

x2

No offence to Flint, but he doesn't strike me as an academic type so I'd advise him against going back to school. He'd be better of doing a vocation for a manual job.
Being a PT can be something you do part time just for some extra cash.

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 10:48:37 AM »
Since you have zero income.  Begged getbig for money to buy a pickup.  date only supermodels 10 and above, Any career choice for you is a good career choice.

Wait, what?

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 10:50:30 AM »
flinstone, u can change your life at ANY time. i know alot of guys who dropped everything and went back to school in late 20s, early 30s, or were still just floating around life even in 30s. do what interests you. i was lucky and got into bizness shit early with just an undergrad. in some ways i regret the early jump into success, and wish i traveled, did the peace corp, joined the military, or went to college later in life instead of 18. if training and gym interests you, then Do it. i dont like my job as its not fulfilling at all. i make a good living, but no personal satisfaction. its a trade off. oh and about women....who cares. life is about making it what u want

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth

frankpt

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 11:01:44 AM »
The truth is that it is a HORRIBLE job. Most clubs pay next to nothing except when you are doing the actual training. You may get some dedicated clients but most of all its babysitting and begging people to get back into the gym. Its good if you live at home or as a side gig, but if you intend to support yourself you may be sleeping in your car.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 11:04:59 AM »
Well, it all depends.

If your goal is to start your own personal training business/center, and you have a good business sense, a personal training job may be a good stepping-stone to this possible future career.

If your goal is to just be a personal trainer your whole life without opening up your own business, then I would not do it.

Conclusion: since you're not smart enough and too immature to ever start your own business, I'd advise against it. Pick a different career.

I am sort of in the process of looking at personal training certificates. I will probably go with NASM, if I decide to take the next step. This would not be my main career-it would be more because I enjoy doing it.
X

10pints

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 11:06:14 AM »
Shit job. You should do it!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 11:08:30 AM »
I've been told that this is a dumb long term  career choice although I do get clients easily.  The thing is my parents offered to help me out  so I want to take advantage of it while I can, I'm 23...not too old to turn my life around but by the time Im 25 I will be. I would like a respectable career by the time I'm 25-26..or at least on my way  to one.  My parents do quite well but I have a huge issue with asking them for money.

Right now  All I do is pretty much travel  and workout. Hey I can't complain, the problem is when people ask "what do you do?"  I just don't get any satisfaction telling people Im a personal trainer while all my friends are becoming doctors, lawyers, joining the military, etc. I feel like it also effects my relationships with the women I date, not so much in the beginning but as time goes on the  lack of depth in my life is obvious.

Should I go back to school and get a degree or would I be better off learning a trade at this point?  Im open to any suggestions. I like manual labor type shit......Ive toyed with the idea of becoming a lineman, my buddy is one and making 100k a year biggest idiot I know haha.

any advice appreciated

It's all about what you make it. If you look at it as a career then that's what it will be. You can make as little or as much as you want. I know people that are making well into six figures and more. If anyone tells you different it's because they don't any better. Not meant to be an insult to those people but it's just the facts.

Nick Danger

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 11:12:27 AM »

You're rarely taken seriously in the business world while in your 20s.

Take AJ's advice, a solid trade is the way to go.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 11:15:26 AM »
You're rarely taken seriously in the business world while in your 20s.

Take AJ's advice, a solid trade is the way to go.

He won't take my advice because he's already imagining himself as a big CEO yelling at his employees and making the "dimes" wet. He's already mentally picking out his Italian suits.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 11:29:47 AM »
Having worked as both a trainer and as a Plumber's assistant, the latter is easily the more stable source of a solid income. Hell, even at 50, I could probably get back into the game in short order. But, be warned, Plumbing is literally a shitty business. If you can handle that reality, there's definitely money to be made pumping this kind of iron:

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 11:37:30 AM »
use it as a way of making decent money now with flexibility while you do something else like study, apprentice or small business.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 11:40:20 AM »
How many 40+ year old personal trainers do you see?

Not a Career. A stepping stone job, and a good way to spend your youth while determining what type of career you do want to pursue. You can make a decent living as long as you have no dependents.

Not true in anyway, shape or form.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 11:47:22 AM »
Not true in anyway, shape or form.

You're an exception. The rule is that it's a transitional job.

And, as a rule, this baby will make you more money than any exercise machine.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 11:55:06 AM »
You're an exception. The rule is that it's a transitional job.

And, as a rule, this baby will make you more money than any exercise machine.

There's always the exception to the rule. Biggest problem is that most start out working for a company and learning, much like an apprenticeship in a trade. But the difference is after that you go out on your own, set your own rates and move from there. It's not that difficult to pull in $80-100k working less than 40 hrs.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 11:58:50 AM »
I'm also sure that there are quite a few trainers on here making at least that.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 12:05:46 PM »
I've been told that this is a dumb long term  career choice although I do get clients easily.  The thing is my parents offered to help me out  so I want to take advantage of it while I can, I'm 21...not too old to turn my life around but by the time Im 21 I will be. I would like a respectable career by the time I'm 21-21..or at least on my way  to one.  My parents do quite well but I have a huge issue with asking them for money.

any advice appreciated

Fixed.

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 12:57:43 PM »
Simple.  If you have an outlet that provides you with clients, do it.  If not, be prepared to grind.  Most gyms have you sell training and will pay you nothing.  With a certification taking a weekend and everyone doing it...best of luck making a decent wage.  When anyone can be qualified to do something in 3 days for a $300 fee...expect $15hr.
If you're a private trainer and have a good hook up for clients....say you work at a bar, school with kid athletes, etc...if not, I'd say it's a waste.  It's too over saturated a profession.  The allusion trainers make $60hr working for a gym are way off.  Private is the way to go, sure...but you need the clients.

It makes sense though.  When anyone can do a job, it's worth less.  Heart surgeon...there's a better call for a career.  Supermarket bag boy, probably not as anyone can do it.

Lastly, I've noticed with training it has zero to do with how you look or even knowledge.  If you are good with people and can sustain clients, you'll stay busy.  Be sure to have them do pointless circuits and core ball bs, they'll think you're a genius and will actually need you to do the routine.
N

Simple Simon

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2016, 01:03:35 PM »

any advice appreciated

You are rushing into making a decision, give it ten years until you are 21.