Author Topic: Personal trainer a dumb career choice?  (Read 26058 times)

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
Re: Personal trainer a dumb career choice?
« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2016, 08:20:14 AM »
I couldn't careless what you think. Not trying to convince anyone of what I make. You morons put blanket statement out how "personal trainers" are portrayed and that more money is made in the trades, I'll make that comparison all day long. Don't hate because I created a decent business of it. I don't need to convince anyone. I'm 53 and on track to retire (if i want) within 5 years. But since I don't believe in retirement it really doesn't matter.

The problem is most (like 99% of the people on this board) think that either going to work in a suit and tie or going under a house to fix a leak is more of "real" job than personal training.

I'm glad you make a good living out of it, but you're the exception, not the rule.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2016, 01:51:50 PM »
This is very true. Most people, even here, are classing a steady income with no risks as success.

Fuck that shit life would be boring. I took some risks, had problems, but in how it worked out I never would make what I make now working for someone else. As for steady income vs what's possible working for yourself, steady income jobs would max out at a level, working for yourself could be limitless. You could make more in a year than some in a steady job makes in 5-6.

So if the average salary is 50k you're saying a pt can make about 250k/year?
Get the fuck outta here with that shit....
?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2016, 02:15:50 PM »

$65hr @ 3 days per week = $780 per month x 25 clients = $19,500 per month x 12 = $234,000 yr

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2016, 02:27:21 PM »

X2. The average personal trainer at LA Fitness or Equinox is not making 250K a year, UNLESS they also have their own business on the side.

Thus, it ALL depends what you do with it. Again, the average trainer who works in a gym (in which he does not own) is definitely not making 250K a year. If they are, its EXTREMELY rare. If you have your own business, of course you can make a killing.
X

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2016, 03:02:59 PM »
$65hr @ 3 days per week = $780 per month x 25 clients = $19,500 per month x 12 = $234,000 yr

yeah but who and how many people have such consistency YEAR ROUND?  Takes a long time to get there, if the person can survive the process and be good enough. I really doubt your example is the reflection the typical trainer.

And $65/hr is not what most can pay, especially when you calculate what it costs them at the end of the week/month. Maybe they can take up that offer a little while, but all year? Not "buying it" in all senses.
?

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2016, 03:11:16 PM »
X2. The average personal trainer at LA Fitness or Equinox is not making 250K a year, UNLESS they also have their own business on the side.

Thus, it ALL depends what you do with it. Again, the average trainer who works in a gym (in which he does not own) is definitely not making 250K a year. If they are, its EXTREMELY rare. If you have your own business, of course you can make a killing.

I don't know this for a fact, but it wouldn't surprise me if the big chains have no-compete clauses in their employment contracts.

As far as trainers making 250k, maybe a few "celebrity" trainers. The real question is what the median trainer makes and the benefits they receive. That's what makes Training a bad career choice: having to be an exception to make a good living.

When I did training, in the late 1980's, I worked in one of the biggest, most well known health clubs in Manhattan. The club charged the clients $30hr and gave us hard working trainers $8hr.  :'( Some of the other trainers cut cash deals with clients on the down low, but, sneaking around isn't my style. So, I moved on.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: February 14, 2016, 07:00:48 AM »

There are 13 4 week periods in a year.....

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #132 on: February 14, 2016, 07:17:32 AM »
I don't know this for a fact, but it wouldn't surprise me if the big chains have no-compete clauses in their employment contracts.

As far as trainers making 250k, maybe a few "celebrity" trainers. The real question is what the median trainer makes and the benefits they receive. That's what makes Training a bad career choice: having to be an exception to make a good living.

When I did training, in the late 1980's, I worked in one of the biggest, most well known health clubs in Manhattan. The club charged the clients $30hr and gave us hard working trainers $8hr.  :'( Some of the other trainers cut cash deals with clients on the down low, but, sneaking around isn't my style. So, I moved on.

Hell, celebrity personal trainers are probably making much more than 240k a year.

I just looked it up and personal trainers make from 40-65k a year with a median income of 55k. Of course this depends on many factors, especially if you own your own business.
X

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #133 on: February 14, 2016, 07:25:24 AM »

Dude that math doesn't work. At $65/hour, you'd need to work 70 billable hours a week, 52 weeks out of the year to clear $234k. That means no lunch, no dinner and no vacation.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #134 on: February 14, 2016, 07:29:49 AM »
Dude that math doesn't work. At $65/hour, you'd need to work 70 billable hours a week, 52 weeks out of the year to clear $234k. That means no lunch, no dinner and no vacation.

You're using real world math. This is the Internet. ;)

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #135 on: February 14, 2016, 07:31:25 AM »

Exactly.

And no PT is doing 70 plus sessions a week for 12 months of the year. If they were any good and cared, they'd burn out in about one week.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #136 on: February 14, 2016, 07:32:50 AM »

a) That's gross revenue, not relevant to the discussion
b) You assume that the PT is working 75 training hours weekly, unrealistic for a number of reasons

You have had undeniable success in your field, but you're not really a "personal trainer"... you are more of an entrepreneur/small-business owner, and I bet you would have had similar success with other types of small businesses.  

Edit: handily beaten by others  ;D

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #137 on: February 14, 2016, 07:43:05 AM »
That the defenders of Training being a good career have to go to such lengths to make their case is evidence that it's not a good career. The reality for most is that it's a transitional job, a way to make money until you find something better.

When I did the job, I was 23 and proud to tell people I was a trainer. Now, @50, I'd be embarrassed.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #138 on: February 14, 2016, 07:45:19 AM »
That the defenders of Training being a good career have to go to such lengths to make their case is evidence that it's not a good career. The reality for most is that it's a transitional job, a way to make money until you find something better.

And bang MILFs.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #139 on: February 14, 2016, 07:46:45 AM »
And bang MILFs.

This is true. I nailed my first older women as a Trainer.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #140 on: February 14, 2016, 07:47:32 AM »
This is true. I nailed my first older women as a Trainer.

8)

Approved.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #141 on: February 14, 2016, 07:52:47 AM »

When I did the job, I was 23 and proud to tell people I was a trainer. Now, @50, I'd be embarrassed.

It can also be used as a hobby or side income. If you love working out and helping people, nothing wrong with doing it on the side.

I plan on getting certified. I may make the plunge in the next few months and do it. But I have to get CPR certified first.
X

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #142 on: February 14, 2016, 08:00:25 AM »
My wife is a PT and a group fitness instructor and does it because she a.) likes working out and b.) likes helping people that want to work (fat and lazy people earn heaps of scorn tho), and trust me, it ain't a living. As I was getting all of our tax shit ready for my accountant, I had 8 separate 1099s and W-2s just for her stuff and it probably added up to <$20k. Now, she doesn't need to do it and isn't out there hustling work, I get that. But most places don't really pay shit.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #143 on: February 14, 2016, 08:02:00 AM »
It can also be used as a hobby or side income. If you love working out and helping people, nothing wrong with doing it on the side.

I plan on getting certified. I may make the plunge in the next few months and do it. But I have to get CPR certified first.

Doing it as a second job for a few extra bucks isn't a bad idea. The real busy times for health clubs is 5-9pm. So, it's possible to make Training work with another job.

I'm not trying to be discouraging. I don't regret my time as a Trainer. I just don't believe it's a job that ages well. I did some bartending, back in the day, too. I made money and met women, but, I don't consider bartending a good career choice.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #144 on: February 14, 2016, 08:11:21 AM »

You goddamn retard, you can't even multiply.

It's so easy to see through your BS, you're not doing as good as you claim.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #145 on: February 14, 2016, 08:24:30 AM »
You goddamn retard, you can't even multiply.

It's so easy to see through your BS, you're not doing as good as you claim.

To be fair, a Trainer doesn't have to multiply. They just have to count. :D

In fact, the better Trainers will use a low rep scheme, so they don't have to count too high. It cuts down on the workload.

spiro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #146 on: February 14, 2016, 08:25:05 AM »
My wife is a PT and a group fitness instructor and does it because she a.) likes working out and b.) likes helping people that want to work (fat and lazy people earn heaps of scorn tho), and trust me, it ain't a living. As I was getting all of our tax shit ready for my accountant, I had 8 separate 1099s and W-2s just for her stuff and it probably added up to <$20k. Now, she doesn't need to do it and isn't out there hustling work, I get that. But most places don't really pay shit.

Exactly. You really have to be able to separate yourself from everyone else. All those fags marketing themselves all over Facebook instagram.

I did it for 18 months. A gym opened up in my little hometown. Offered personally training I was certified and I have a degree in health physical education. It cost 100 an hour to work with me. I had a couple ckients. A few gay guys and one or two moms. I didn't make shit. I wasn't any good at marketing myself this is before the facebook generation. You need your own studio or small set up and you have to be able to get your name out their. Flin is a gymrat. He knows he to train for size and strength. Most guys who are looking from that aren't going to pay.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #147 on: February 14, 2016, 08:40:11 AM »
Doing it as a second job for a few extra bucks isn't a bad idea. The real busy times for health clubs is 5-9pm. So, it's possible to make Training work with another job.

I'm not trying to be discouraging. I don't regret my time as a Trainer. I just don't believe it's a job that ages well. I did some bartending, back in the day, too. I made money and met women, but, I don't consider bartending a good career choice.

Yes, or even on the weekends for a few hours. I've never minded the gym atmosphere and enjoy chatting about bodybuilding and working out. Again, I'm not invested to the point of making it a career, but wouldn't mind doing it on the side.
X

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #148 on: February 14, 2016, 08:42:13 AM »

$780mo per client x 25 clients = $19,500mo.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: February 14, 2016, 09:00:29 AM »
Exactly. You really have to be able to separate yourself from everyone else. All those fags marketing themselves all over Facebook instagram.

I did it for 18 months. A gym opened up in my little hometown. Offered personally training I was certified and I have a degree in health physical education. It cost 100 an hour to work with me. I had a couple ckients. A few gay guys and one or two moms. I didn't make shit. I wasn't any good at marketing myself this is before the facebook generation. You need your own studio or small set up and you have to be able to get your name out their. Flin is a gymrat. He knows he to train for size and strength. Most guys who are looking from that aren't going to pay.

Where the fuck do you live to charge that much? I'm calling absolute BULLSHIT on this. Funny guy you are man...
?