Author Topic: Milestones for strength?  (Read 2594 times)

newdumbell303

• Getbig II
  • "get serious..."
Milestones for strength?
« on: March 19, 2006, 10:33:35 PM »
IMO a good, and first milestone one should be proud to obtain would have to be things like:

BB Rowing your own weight
Bench Pressing more than your own weight
Squatting 1.5-2x your own bodyweight

What else would be some good milestones somebody should be happy about. I know when I could do any kind of weighted Pullups I was happy, lol...that was a couple years ago but I felt so great about being able to do 6 pullups with a 25lbs on me, haha.

What are you some of your greatest milestones that your most happy about and what should beginners set for?

kicker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: Milestones for strength?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 10:38:05 PM »
IMO a good, and first milestone one should be proud to obtain would have to be things like:

BB Rowing your own weight
Bench Pressing more than your own weight
Squatting 1.5-2x your own bodyweight

What else would be some good milestones somebody should be happy about. I know when I could do any kind of weighted Pullups I was happy, lol...that was a couple years ago but I felt so great about being able to do 6 pullups with a 25lbs on me, haha.

What are you some of your greatest milestones that your most happy about and what should beginners set for?

bench press 2x bodyweight
squat 3x bodyweight
deadlift 3 x bodyweight

Sadly, I have yet to reach any of these milestones.  :-\ 

Robert E. Lee

• Getbig II
  • The South Shall Rise Again!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 10:44:25 PM »
Next tuesday i'm gonna try to pull 500 off the ground.  that'll be a good milestone i think.
The General

newdumbell303

• Getbig II
  • "get serious..."
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 10:45:45 PM »
Next tuesday i'm gonna try to pull 500 off the ground.  that'll be a good milestone i think.

sounds good man, good luck with that. I keep telling myself everyday I need to start doing deadlifts again  :-\

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 11:05:17 PM »
doing pull ups with two plates around my waist

The One

• Getbig I
  • Pit Power..........
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 11:51:33 AM »
Good luck with that 500 lbs bro....................

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 08:50:25 PM »
being able to do anything involving the 150 lbs Dumbells.  At my old school, they sat on their own stand, and the joke was that the first person to be able to use them could ingrave their name on the stand.  None the less they are still collecting dust.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 07:31:40 AM »
Milestones (how you judge you progress) begin when you can military press 50lbs over bwt. Dip with 80 lbs strapped on. Chin with 50lbs added. Squat double bwt. DL double weight.All these are for reps.  Don't worry about what other peoples numbers are, just related to you and your own bwt. The numbers game is so misleading in lifting. These are the first milestones, of many too come, if your are training with serious intent. Good Luck.

runnerbabe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 07:42:01 AM »
I agree----I am waiting for the day when I can do 8-10 unassisted pullups, then everybody here is invited to the BYOB (Bring Your Own Barbell) celebration.

But sadly, don't mark your calendars just yet!  :o

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 07:57:22 AM »
RB: If you want to increase reps for pull-up's than try some negative rep's/sets, to replace your regular chinning workouts (and/or after the regular chinning workout), from time to time. Also might try doing half reps from the bottom position to the middle position of the chin. Also include chin's from the middle position to the top position. Both in the same chinning workout but different sets. Try for 8-10 reps of two sets each. You should be able to add weight from the short range bottom position to the middle of the chin, believe it or not. Good Luck.

newdumbell303

• Getbig II
  • "get serious..."
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 09:11:47 AM »
Milestones (how you judge you progress) begin when you can military press 50lbs over bwt. Dip with 80 lbs strapped on. Chin with 50lbs added. Squat double bwt. DL double weight.All these are for reps.  Don't worry about what other peoples numbers are, just related to you and your own bwt. The numbers game is so misleading in lifting. These are the first milestones, of many too come, if your are training with serious intent. Good Luck.

This is exactly how I judge my strength. I relate it all to my bodyweight. When I see some guy in the gym DB Pressing the 120lbs, I realize he has 100lbs on me, which in my eyes makes me stronger. We all have different goals but relating your OWN goals to your OWN bodyweight in BODYBUILDING is much more appropriate.

When I could military press 50lbs over it was a great day lol. Even though I did/still do it on the Smith Machine I thought I was top shit, lol.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 12:18:40 PM »
This is exactly how I judge my strength. I relate it all to my bodyweight. When I see some guy in the gym DB Pressing the 120lbs, I realize he has 100lbs on me, which in my eyes makes me stronger. We all have different goals but relating your OWN goals to your OWN bodyweight in BODYBUILDING is much more appropriate.

When I could military press 50lbs over it was a great day lol. Even though I did/still do it on the Smith Machine I thought I was top shit, lol.
damn dude, you Smith Machine pressed 200, awesome.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

newdumbell303

• Getbig II
  • "get serious..."
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 12:21:04 PM »
damn dude, you Smith Machine pressed 200, awesome.

lol...nah, at the time it was 215 or 220... :P 

what are you doin? you up to 2 plates yet? lol

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 01:00:44 PM »
i would generally go by bodyweight too but it kinda becomes obselete when you go over 220lbs.

like a 200lb guy might bench 350lb 1.75 times bw which is immense. however u aint gonna see a 300lb guy v often bench ywice his b/w.

dipping is a good measure. im gettin closer to 200% my bodyweight below parallel. chinning too relate to bodyweight.

anothe rthing i do which is childish when i see a guy bench say 300lbs for 5 reps i go hes 5 yrs older than me ill easily beat that. i say that to myself not a dick in the gym. this is a gd we chart.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/weis1.htm