Author Topic: ketosis  (Read 9964 times)

badlad

• Getbig III
ketosis
« on: March 04, 2016, 03:53:52 PM »
Quick question. Have started training again after complete 6 yr layoff. got very out of shape so been doing a very sensible diet plan with cardio and weights for last 6 wks and lost almost 25 pounds. Want to lose another 6-8 pounds and should get to my 'goal' weight in 2 more weeks. However stubborn belly fat is posing a problem. Have only lost 3 inches but have a 'goal' measurement that requires another  8 inches to go. Weight loss per se has been relatively easy but shifting stomach fat not so. Im gaining muscle well enough and alot fitter and thinking if i go into a ketogenic diet i might be able to accelerate belly fat loss. Aim is to see abs in 2 months. What u guys reckon? Just keep going with what Im doing or do a keto diet now or wait a bit. Not frustrated yet but can see it coming. Just want to keep progressing. Any help greatly appreciated. Have never done keto before so be very grateful for your advices.

badlad

• Getbig III
Re: ketosis
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 04:07:09 PM »
I should add Im 44 yr old male, 6'3" and currently 248 pounds. I set 240 as my goal weight bc I have a pretty massive frame. Current nutrition regime is around 30% protein, 30% fats and 40% carbs. Should also add as of last two weeks Im averaging about 1600-1800 cals per day down from 2400 when I started. Dont really want to drop that any more but happy to change up the protein:fat:carb ratio.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 02:07:44 AM »
My advice: keep doing what your doing. It takes triple the time to lose as it did to gain. Ketosis can give you a short term drop (usually because it's low fiber) but it's a weird diet... I didn't enjoy it for a host of reasons.

Congrats on getting back into it. Don't post pics on getbig.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 02:10:45 AM »
Quick question. Have started training again after complete 6 yr layoff. got very out of shape so been doing a very sensible diet plan with cardio and weights for last 6 wks and lost almost 25 pounds. Want to lose another 6-8 pounds and should get to my 'goal' weight in 2 more weeks. However stubborn belly fat is posing a problem. Have only lost 3 inches but have a 'goal' measurement that requires another  8 inches to go. Weight loss per se has been relatively easy but shifting stomach fat not so. Im gaining muscle well enough and alot fitter and thinking if i go into a ketogenic diet i might be able to accelerate belly fat loss. Aim is to see abs in 2 months. What u guys reckon? Just keep going with what Im doing or do a keto diet now or wait a bit. Not frustrated yet but can see it coming. Just want to keep progressing. Any help greatly appreciated. Have never done keto before so be very grateful for your advices.

If you're asking if it is believed a ketogenic diet will help you achieve your goals from where you currently are, then I would say yes.
Ketosis carries a plethora of health benefits even beyond body composition.

If you do decide to try it, first perform the proper research to learn what a true ketogenic diet is and how to practice it. There's a lot more to it than simply eating reduced or even zero carbs, which many people mistakenly oversimplify.

If you're interested, I can find and post a link to an excellent podcast episode of the Tim Ferris show, which contained a lengthy, in-depth discussion of ketosis and the Keto diet with one of the leading authorities on the subject.

Rammstein

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 07:20:17 AM »
If you're interested, I can find and post a link to an excellent podcast episode of the Tim Ferris show, which contained a lengthy, in-depth discussion of ketosis and the Keto diet with one of the leading authorities on the subject.

Please do so.

Thanks.

Montague

• Getbig V

Rammstein

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 04:53:05 AM »

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 10:53:34 AM »
stick with a cal deficit. keto is horrible and pointless

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 11:33:50 AM »

Explain.

SupplementGuy

• Getbig III
  • I'm the kind of a person who's the type of dog...
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 01:00:45 PM »

What an informed and well reasoned response.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 03:23:29 AM »
What an informed and well reasoned response.

As if there's something wrong with that, douchebag.

SG

SupplementGuy

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 04:33:53 AM »
Necro reply from 6 years ago...seems legit

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 08:11:19 AM »

Keto is not horrible and it does work very well for many individuals

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 01:09:53 AM »
Keto is not horrible and it does work very well for many individuals

yep works well because they are in a calorie defecit. glad we agree

SupplementGuy

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 02:55:34 AM »
Do five minutes of research and you would see health benefit after health benefit to ketosis on a cellular level, protein sparing while cutting fat etc

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2016, 07:45:12 AM »

Wtf? What does that have to with you saying keto was horrible?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2016, 09:35:36 AM »

First, you said its horrible and pointless (with absolutely zero proof to back your claim).

Now, you're saying it works well.

You're not making any sense.

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 04:40:32 AM »
Get some keto strips to piss on and test your urine for key tones they are cheap at drug store they don't work very well so u do like 5 in a row each time u check. It's hard for me to get into keto I can never make it but like a week and a few days and have to carb up. But then again I've always had calories on the low side maybe run a 500 calories surplus for 2 weeks with zero carbs would be easier to get into keto before lowering into a deficit of cals.

I gave up and cycle carbs now is better for me not near as flat all.the time

PizzaTrenSlin

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 09:00:00 AM »

Keep electrolytes in check! On the link below you can find all infos about KETO. Don't do an CKD,TKD, go for an SKD. I'm doing it right now i'm at 4th day on Keto and with electrolytes in check it's not so hard...

Ofc don't expect to see muscle PUMPED,  after some weeks you will be flat as a pancake, but who cares? I have to cut. To go out from Keto correctly do a carbload then slowly raise your cals to maintenance.

Even if you go out of your way to eat lots of table salt and foods containing potassium and magnesium, you may find you need to take supplements. The minimum daily intake for the three electrolytes suggested by Lyle McDonald as:

5000 mg of sodium (not just salt)
1000 mg of potassium, in the form of potassium chloride or potassium sulfate
300 mg of magnesium, preferably in the form of magnesium citrate
All these electrolytes should be preferably consumed in addition from what you get from your food.

Most of us will not reach these suggested totals with food alone, but there are several ways to ingest extra electrolytes:

Drink 1 or 2 cups of bouillon or broth daily
Add salt and/or salt substitute to your food
Take a multivitamin containing magnesium and/or potassium
Add a teaspoon of salt and/or salt substitute to a large glass of water and drink it
Take magnesium and/or potassium supplement pills