Author Topic: Do you care at all about a big deadlifted in your gym?  (Read 10172 times)

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
Re: Do you care at all about a big deadlifted in your gym?
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2016, 07:53:30 PM »
A guy was doing some fairly heavy deadlifts in the gym today (heavy for my gym is like 455).  Anyway it got me thinking.  I don't think a single person other than me noticed or gave him any props.  Guy had kind of a bulky football player chunky look.  A big guy but not any standout physique wise. 

Would rather look good in a tank top or with my shirt off.

Nope. Started a thread on here a while back asking if I was the only one that thought it was a useless exercise. Of course  lemmings defended it, but I don't think a big deadlift is representative of anything other than a big deadlift. The strength doesn't carry over to other exercises even though it is allegedly the granddaddy of all strength movements. It doesn't improve my squat, though an improved squat does improve my deadlift. It doesn't improve my barbell rows, though improved rows raise my deadlift.  More than any other  power exercise, it just seems like if you do it enough you will end up with a decent lift. More than any other exercise, it seems you can do decent numbers on dl without it showing up in your physique.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2016, 08:34:21 PM »
455 is not a heavy lift.

It was for a few reps not a single.  This place ain't hardcore.  The have no standing calf machine even.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2016, 08:37:02 PM »
Are you claiming to be natural in this picture?

No natural owns a shirt like that.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2016, 11:25:48 PM »
Deadlift is the test of a man and it's no coincidence that the numbers that getbiggers start disputing each other on are not particularly large

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2016, 01:30:52 AM »
I pulled 375 on Friday in a full gym and all the guys got their feelings hurt and pretended they weren't staring.

I like powerlifting so I do watch people who lift heavy.
I pulled 420 pounds deadlifting for the first time 3 weeks ago.  My Brother is into powerlifting so we went along to a gym that had a platform, bumper plates the whole bit.  I tried 440 pounds, but just didn't get it past my knees, I was going to try the 440 again sometime this week.
V

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2016, 01:32:13 AM »
Nope. Started a thread on here a while back asking if I was the only one that thought it was a useless exercise. Of course  lemmings defended it, but I don't think a big deadlift is representative of anything other than a big deadlift. The strength doesn't carry over to other exercises even though it is allegedly the granddaddy of all strength movements. It doesn't improve my squat, though an improved squat does improve my deadlift. It doesn't improve my barbell rows, though improved rows raise my deadlift.  More than any other  power exercise, it just seems like if you do it enough you will end up with a decent lift. More than any other exercise, it seems you can do decent numbers on dl without it showing up in your physique.
I think it helps build a strong core (core pertaining to the central muscles of the body; lower back, glutes and the abdominal region) is a very important health component, in that it supports the body in almost every movement and position.
V

Sokolsky

• Getbig IV
  • Sensory receptors succumb
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2016, 03:14:41 AM »
Will always have a look when I see a lot of plates loaded on bar.
But I don't care whether people lift less/more than myself. Though I notice I'm in the head of quite a few at the gym I go too...

Doubt the girls care much for it though.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2016, 03:38:03 AM »
Is it?

How much weight is this and this is not even near my max?

good lift

great thng about natural bb is you retain your youthful look

you look really young there  8)
T

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2016, 08:21:42 AM »
A 455 lbs deadlift is a lot for the average gym rat. You don't see that everyday in most gyms.  Those that put down the lift as useless is code for my deadlift is terrible.  It's a fundamental lift of strength.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2016, 08:23:59 AM »
The other amusing takeaway from this is that I can deadlift more than you and am at a lower bodyweight.   :D
Cool, then you can post a video showing yourself deadlifting more than me. :)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2016, 08:29:55 AM »
Why would my strength go down?  ???

::)

Lets see...
- old age
- stopped training
- shitty diet
- votes for Obama. Twice.
- ran out of time
- would say "kids", but thankfully you've decided to end your gene pool voluntarily.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2016, 08:34:13 AM »
to answer this thread the best way possible I will say that the older and more mature you get the less you give a shit

honestly---I'm at a point where I'm kinda sorta more secure of myself that I don't need the validation of anything weightlifting/physique related

getting older is the ultimate solution to all of this

you just, honestly, don't really care anymore

when you were 5 you cared about how fast you could go on your tricycle
when you were 8 you probably could still ride a tricycle but did you really want to?
when your 12----"You want me to ride a tricycle?!...the fuck is wrong with you?!"

...i had a bit of a potty mouth when I was 12....i went to catholic school

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2016, 08:42:59 AM »
Pulling heavy weight is very impressive and I respect guys who do it, but I never incorporated deadlifting in my workouts, mainly because I could never figure out where to put them in my workout schedule.  My main goals (at 50 years old) are muscle size and keeping BF down as much as possible.  Lifting very heavy weights is not conducive to fully functional joints.  Keep on living and training hard... you'll see.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2016, 08:44:59 AM »

...i had a bit of a potty mouth when I was 12....i went to catholic school
I see a priest/port-a-potty joke in there somewhere.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2016, 08:47:03 AM »
I see a priest/port-a-potty joke in there somewhere.

I'm LEGIT lol'ing that you posted that and that I didn't post something about how I just set myself up for some sort of "priest using my mouth/face as a port-o-potty" commnet

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2016, 08:47:20 AM »
A guy was doing some fairly heavy deadlifts in the gym today (heavy for my gym is like 455).  Anyway it got me thinking.  I don't think a single person other than me noticed or gave him any props.  Guy had kind of a bulky football player chunky look.  A big guy but not any standout physique wise. 

Would rather look good in a tank top or with my shirt off.

No one give's a rat ass about what I do in the gym. What matters to me is MY workouts, so long as no one is acting like a full blown idiot around me, which has hardly ever happened.

You give a shit about what this guy's doing? What if deadlifts make him stronger and gave him the muscle he has?

With that aside, I shit canned regular deadlifts a year ago as I do not give a rat's ass about powerlifting and lift for more muscle, which does take getting stronger in the lifts one does, be it whatever damn lifts they are.

Stiff-legged deadlifts or trap bar deadlifts are far better muscle builders than regular deads for most people. Same goes  for dumbbell benches, guillotine presses, and dips rather than bench presses for many people.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2016, 08:53:06 AM »
No one give's a rat ass about what I do in the gym.

I'll take this quote a step further...

no one gives a shit about what any of us do......I think a lot of people know this but I will resound it nonetheless

we are all very "why is everyone looking at me?" during certain years of your life

nobody is looking at you....they are too taken with there own shit

now---If you fall or trip then yes people will see that and laugh at you because falling in public is hilarious

other than that though nobody should ever be self conscious about anything because people don't care about other people

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2016, 09:06:38 AM »
I'll take this quote a step further...

no one gives a shit about what any of us do......I think a lot of people know this but I will resound it nonetheless

we are all very "why is everyone looking at me?" during certain years of your life

nobody is looking at you....they are too taken with there own shit

now---If you fall or trip then yes people will see that and laugh at you because falling in public is hilarious

other than that though nobody should ever be self conscious about anything because people don't care about other people

You make a lot of good points here.
?

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2016, 09:08:24 AM »
I think it helps build a strong core (core pertaining to the central muscles of the body; lower back, glutes and the abdominal region) is a very important health component, in that it supports the body in almost every movement and position.

Like I said in my previous post, I've heard that dl supposedly has so many benefits which is why I stuck it out til at least 5 plates. I just don't see much evidence of that. 90% of the time when I see a guy who benches regularly and has a big bench, he has a good chest. 90% of the time, a guy who chins regularly and can do 15+ reps has a good taper. Having a big deadlift does not indicate  anything. It doesn't suggest you are strong in other exercises- even back or leg exercises. You can be a dedicated deadlifter and still have a totally shitty body.  It might be an exaggeration to say there are no benefits, but for me, when I made deadlifting a regular part of my routine, it seemed like I would go backwards if I focused on deadlifts. I got so much wider and thicker and stronger and a more dramatic taper with barbell rows. If I skipped rows for two sessions my dl and row would both go down. If I skipped dls but did rows, my dl would at least be stable and rows would still increase.

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2016, 09:11:28 AM »
Not to mention that deadlifting makes me feel like shit for days after.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2016, 09:13:48 AM »
I only care if it`s legit regardless of poundage.

Too many assholes have`nt a fucking clue how to pull.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2016, 09:17:02 AM »
::)

Lets see...
- old age
- stopped training
- shitty diet
- votes for Obama. Twice.
- ran out of time
- would say "kids", but thankfully you've decided to end your gene pool voluntarily.
The only thing on that list that is true is that I voted for Obama twice.

I deadlifted last night actually.  My workout was 475-10  500-8  525-6  
Just a basic workout for this strength program I am doing.  

Bodyweight right now is 177.  

And I have never went longer than a week without working out which I only do maybe once a year if that.  

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2016, 09:22:03 AM »
For me deadlift is pretty essential.  When I stop doing it, my squat suffers a little bit and my abs become less tight and worked.  I also get a great upper back pump after deadlifts.

I think it depends on your structure, how well your muscles engage while doing the lift and if you are actually good at it.

Its completely a waste of time to do lifts that you may not be good at.  For me, one of those lifts is seated dumbbell shoulder press.  That is a totally useless exercise for me as its more of a balancing act due to my extremely long forearms.  I notice midget armed guys like it because its not hard for them to balance the weight and they don't have too far to travel and their triceps do a lot of the work.  My forearm length prevents the triceps engaging until late in the lift making it difficult to do and thus pointless.

A better alternative for me is a standing press or push press of some sort.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2016, 09:24:05 AM »
Like I said in my previous post, I've heard that dl supposedly has so many benefits which is why I stuck it out til at least 5 plates. I just don't see much evidence of that. 90% of the time when I see a guy who benches regularly and has a big bench, he has a good chest. 90% of the time, a guy who chins regularly and can do 15+ reps has a good taper. Having a big deadlift does not indicate  anything. It doesn't suggest you are strong in other exercises- even back or leg exercises. You can be a dedicated deadlifter and still have a totally shitty body.  It might be an exaggeration to say there are no benefits, but for me, when I made deadlifting a regular part of my routine, it seemed like I would go backwards if I focused on deadlifts. I got so much wider and thicker and stronger and a more dramatic taper with barbell rows. If I skipped rows for two sessions my dl and row would both go down. If I skipped dls but did rows, my dl would at least be stable and rows would still increase.
I disagree.  For me at least, my squat goes down the less I deadlift and goes up a lot more when I start deadlifting regularly.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2016, 09:55:11 AM »
455 is not a heavy lift.

Considering that the overwhelming majority of gym goers (yes, gym goers, not the average man on the street) the world over cannot even come close to pulling such a poundage off the floor, yes, 455 is a heavy lift.

Pull your head out of your ass.