Author Topic: Laterals  (Read 1928 times)

newdumbell303

• Getbig II
  • "get serious..."
Laterals
« on: March 20, 2006, 06:06:36 AM »
while doing Front and Rear I use a grip I havent seen anybody else try before. If you have the issue of MD with Johnnie Jackson and Branch Warren in it you may know what I'm talking about. Instead of holding the DB so the palm of your hand faces directly towards the ground I hold it so my hand is sideways. Same idea with Rear Laterals. I feel this grip helps me hit my rear delts much more and can really feel it.

Does anybody else grip the db the same when doing the front and rear laterals? I heard the different angle can hit the deltoids a little better and may even be better for growing the deltoid. What does everyone think?

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
Re: Laterals
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 11:26:08 PM »
It's kind of the same idea of turning your hands at the top to emulate pouring a glass of water, except your hands stay in the same position.  I do them that way too, little bit better of a contraction than the standard method.

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 02:47:02 AM »
I never did them with palms frontwards. The owner of the gym always tought us hand sideways and he is over 15 years in the business, and the previous owner tought him the same way. Both amateurpro's btw.

And there is a kind of logic behind it,
if you're doing rows with barbells, you already using the same muscles. Sideways you differ the angle.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 08:17:00 AM »
That grip is a nice variation that hits the delts slightly differently and engages the biceps a little more.

Also try any dumbbell exercise using an Arnold-press type motion: the grip is rotated during the ROM.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 08:53:23 AM »
At the former Vinces Gym (Ventura Blvd) most all the BB'ers there did that form of laterial raise like Trowbridge suggested. The little finger held high and the thumbs almost pointing straight down, slight bend in the elbow. You kepted the DB directly in line with the body and started the lift with the DB resting against the leg, not in front of the leg . They also did a form of 'W' DB seated presses, which Larry Scott favored, if I remember correctly. Members of that gym were pretty well known for their delt development and also the pec/delt tie in. Don Hollworth (spelled wrong) comes to mind as having the widest and better developed delts at that time. 

One arm laterial raises, either leaning against a wall or lying on a incline or flat bench can target the laterial delt head also. Pressing a DB (usually light weight or one with-in your capacity) ) over head and lowering it slowly to the side, like a negative laterial raise, can affect the laterial head strongly. Good Luck.

monster triceps

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • RIP slobby :(
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 12:36:24 PM »
Also try any dumbbell exercise using an Arnold-press type motion: the grip is rotated during the ROM.

More great shoulder destroying advice from our resident 17-year old know-it-all!
young niggah greedy

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 12:43:48 PM »
LOL; everyone else seems fine with it. :D

Thanx for another winning "contribution".

He's still bitter about Slobo. Great role model. ::)