Author Topic: Bruce Lee  (Read 6659 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Bruce Lee
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2016, 03:37:17 PM »
I actually met Bruce Lee many years before ENTER THE DRAGON when he was appearing in some long forgotten TV series ... the name of which I have forgotten .... Was he Kato or some secondary actor in a Hawaiian TV series?

I think he became a legendary figure due to the success of ENTER THE DRAGON which was probably the first Kung Fu / Karate/ Ju jitsu flick (?)  that appealed to the American public which was unique in the US at that time but completely saturated throughout the Orient.

His rise in popularity was somewhat similar to Arnold's rise in popularity.

I can recall seeing earlier Oriental (Chinese) fighting flicks in which the audio was completely off track and became somewhat of a comedy instead of an action movie. These early fight films were only shown in very old and worn down theaters in big city Chinese neighborhoods until ENTER THE DRAGON entered the 'picture'.

A few years after the popularity of Enter the Dragon some Hollywood studio actually made a comedy based on China's' inability to sync the soundtrack with the lip movements of the actors and it made a good deal of money.

Stunt,
You're thinking of The Green Hornet with Van Williams.

Van played a Bruce Wayne kind of character, and Bruce played Kato, the butler/crime fighting sidekick.

In China, the show was aired under the name The Kato Show with Bruce as the star.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2016, 03:40:54 PM »
Skinny tit-twink, Falcon by strikes/TKO within two rounds.

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2016, 04:50:12 PM »
Absolute classic I remember watching this as a kid and thinking how gritty and realistic the fight scenes were. William Forsythe was the shit!

"Anybody seen Richie?..."

:D
T

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2016, 05:02:34 PM »
Absolute classic I remember watching this as a kid and thinking how gritty and realistic the fight scenes were. William Forsythe was the shit!

Anybody seen Ritchie? Anybody know why he did Bobby Lupo?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2016, 06:09:51 PM »
I actually met Bruce Lee many years before ENTER THE DRAGON when he was appearing in some long forgotten TV series ... the name of which I have forgotten .... Was he Kato or some secondary actor in a Hawaiian TV series?

I think he became a legendary figure due to the success of ENTER THE DRAGON which was probably the first Kung Fu / Karate/ Ju jitsu flick (?)  that appealed to the American public which was unique in the US at that time but completely saturated throughout the Orient.

I can recall seeing earlier Oriental (Chinese) fighting flicks in which the audio was completely off track and became somewhat of a comedy instead of an action movie. These early fight films were only shown in very old and worn down theaters in big city Chinese neighborhoods until ENTER THE DRAGON entered the 'picture'.

A few years after the popularity of Enter the Dragon some Hollywood studio actually made a comedy based on China's' inability to sync the soundtrack with the lip movements of the actors and it made a good deal of money.

Karate/Kung fu movies were big in the US prior to Enter the Dragon.  Enter the Dragon was the first big budget American made movie on the topic.  Bruce Lee was huge before Enter the Dragon in the US. Mainly from foreign made Kung fu movies.  The success of those movies was the motivation for the relatively big budget Enter the Dragon. 

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2016, 08:33:00 PM »
Frank Dux would've stomped that slanty-eyed twink with his patented dim mak (death touch)

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2016, 10:31:17 PM »
Frank Dux would've stomped that slanty-eyed twink with his patented dim mak (death touch)

^^^this^^^ VanDamme actually fought professionally and was fairly successful.  Lee became popular as one of the first Asians to break into the US action movie scene but let's be real here.  He wasn't an actual fighter, he was an actor.  I'm sure he was pretty athletic and perhaps he could have been a decent boxer or kickboxer or whatever, but he never had any record of any professional fights.  One inch punch my ass....it's almost like selling duck eggs to promote muscle growth.

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2016, 10:39:10 PM »
he was a very sinewy fella
"

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2016, 10:41:49 PM »
"

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2016, 10:47:52 PM »
"

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2016, 11:11:26 PM »
"

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2016, 12:51:12 AM »
^^^this^^^ VanDamme actually fought professionally and was fairly successful.  Lee became popular as one of the first Asians to break into the US action movie scene but let's be real here.  He wasn't an actual fighter, he was an actor.  I'm sure he was pretty athletic and perhaps he could have been a decent boxer or kickboxer or whatever, but he never had any record of any professional fights.  One inch punch my ass....it's almost like selling duck eggs to promote muscle growth.

Shows u how much u know

The thing is Bruce was one of the pioneers and first to come forward about MMA, not staying traditional and incorporating boxing, kickboxing, judo, karate, etc...

At the time all traditional stylists rejected him and said it was unorthodox

Wether he had a record or not was irrelevant, he brought MMA into light at an early stage

He was a philosopher and martial artist way before an actor

There's a reason why he's very much respected in the MMA world among many UFC fighters

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
  • Athletes representative for Grifted Nutrition.
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2016, 01:08:06 AM »
If Bruce was alive today he would certainly dominate the UFC and would headline their NYC debut.

Furthermore, boxing would be dead.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2016, 01:21:45 AM »

It was the Green Hornet where he played Kato. I lived for that show when I was a boy.

For his time he was different. He stood out. I use to watch all those Alexander Fu Shen, et al, kung fu flicks and they were all the same. Even the Jackie Chan ones. Bruce Lee was different. He moved more like a real fighter than those stage choreographed acrobatics others did.

Here's where Lee breaks Jackie Chan's neck.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2016, 01:22:51 AM »

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2016, 01:54:25 AM »
They called him The Father of Mixed Martial Arts.

Combining Boxing, Wrestling, Judo etc with other Traditional Martial Arts very early.

Would probably be a great retired teacher with a good school/franchise a la Helio Gracie now if he was alive.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2016, 03:05:52 AM »
x2,,,and marked for death,out for justice,
X3...   :)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2016, 03:09:50 AM »
They called him The Father of Mixed Martial Arts.

Combining Boxing, Wrestling, Judo etc with other Traditional Martial Arts very early.

Would probably be a great retired teacher with a good school/franchise a la Helio Gracie now if he was alive.
A bit of influence later from Dan Inosanto.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2016, 03:21:28 AM »
but was he natural ???

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2016, 04:41:06 AM »

läl.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2016, 04:52:29 AM »
seagal takes A LOT of shit but "Above the Law" is SUCH A GREAT MOVIE

and "Nico Toscani" is such a pimp name

Great fucking movie. I remember being blown away by the aikido moves.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2016, 05:12:36 AM »

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2016, 05:15:36 AM »

löl

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2016, 05:54:54 AM »

DUDE had great genes for bbing and is the rare case at least in that past 90's era when someone stops chasing the dream cut back or went off entirely and got small but stayed with it and modified training and still maintained a great build 'smaller'guy is shredded now ..

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2016, 06:59:34 AM »
Sulu did not keep his guard up.

Holy furk I'm chuckling!  ;D