Author Topic: Front squats  (Read 5267 times)

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
Front squats
« on: March 23, 2016, 10:07:28 AM »
Been away from these for a while getting back into squatting one week backs and one week fronts. I am alot stronger now I've neglected the fronts for a while. Getting over 3 plates the bar tries to roll forward on the delts keeping elbows up and back straight is a must I know. Any pointers? Put chalk on my bar and shoulders and shelf area helped some. I'm just out of practice and need to use more weights now. I do these body building style there is no chance of me holding the bar the other way idk I guess it's called crossfit/or Olympic style.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Front squats
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 03:33:37 PM »
Some guys have successfully used lifting straps as an aid in holding the bar in place.

Essentially, they thread the bar through the part normally reserved for your wrists. They then hold onto the section that ordinarily wraps around the bar, using it as a "handle" of sorts.

The main biomechanics of the lift are the same. The only change is in how the bar is gripped with the use of accessories.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 03:34:24 PM »
I believe Charles Poliquin has explained and demonstrated the technique in online articles.

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 04:15:51 PM »
Yea but I'm not gonna do it like that I have seen that before... was more looking for pointers as to how the barbar specifically sits or how u deal with it. I could just be being a bitch. I don't really remember learning to place the bar on my back could've been just as uncomfortable then but that was 20 years ago. I just need to practice but it's only 2nd attempt in forever i was just pissed I wasn't able to use the same weight for working sets because the bar wants to roll for Ward after so much weight. Now that I think of it the walk out is what messes me up the last few times

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 10:44:30 AM »
Try this but there are cheaper alternatives. when i do Front squats i pad the Bar with a towel. maybe pussy but lets you concentrate on the lift..which is the whole point of the exercise. Never liked the crossed hands style i always do the other version resting the bar on my finger tips and i find it easier to keep my elbows high. If all else fails try Barbell hack squats they are a great quad builder ;)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 11:11:42 AM »
Most guy's find that their triceps, and shoulder girdle, are not flexible enough (too tight)  and/or the elbows are not held high enough to handle the bar correctly.  When these flaws are corrected, the bar's sets in at a almost cradle position on the shoulders....and fairly easily. Have a bit of muscle mass on the anterior delt also helps.

The more you practice the better (and more flexible) you become adjusted to this movement. Will also boost the confidence a bit. Might suggest watching Olympic lifters and how they handle the front holding positions of the bar.

I've done front bench squats with my last routine, with good results. Good way to relearn that movement, for me anyway. I have long arms, so the resting on the finger tips works good for me.

Good Luck.

F

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 11:20:31 AM »
Just watched a Dan Greene video seems I was just being a bitch and it's just gonna hurt laying up there I can manage 315 for a like 3 reps I think I just need practice the bar wants to roll forward . Legs are strong enough but upper back just needs to gain strength to keep it from going forward

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 07:19:29 PM »
It seems among Olympic lifters there are two distinct methods. I believe it's based on flexibility and structure. The lucky few can keep their elbows up with a closed grip around the bar.  The majority keep their elbows up the create that shelf that the bar rides on by opening their hands so the bar ride on the shelf.

snarled

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 01:43:41 PM »
In all honesty sort your wrist flexibility and use the olympic grip, I find once you go heavy the cross-arm method is painful enough on my delts whereas two finger olympic grip keeping elbows up gives me absolutely no pain.