Author Topic: Loaded carries  (Read 3608 times)

greg2112

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Loaded carries
« on: April 14, 2016, 04:40:24 AM »
Not really a question but just wanted to say distance farmer walks and zercher carries kick ass!  I work out EOD and rotate between those two each session.  Upper back growth faster doing this then all those years of shrugging my ass off.

Rammstein

• Getbig III
Re: Loaded carries
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 07:25:59 PM »
What kind of weights and distances are you doing?

Straight bar for Zerchers?

greg2112

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 07:39:10 PM »
It all depends on how I feel.  Nothing crazy poundage wise.  I go usually 150 ft for heavier sets of zerchers with anywhere b/w 275+.  Did those fresh yesterday with 315 for 2 sets.  Sometimes I go 250 ft with 185-225 which is more brutal but fun. Farmer walks I rotate using my trap bar or handles.  Have gone up to 250 per handle for 150 ft. The street in front of my house is flat so that helps.  The distance I decide to do varies on energy levels.  You do carries?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 09:11:19 AM »
Your experiencing time under tension (TUT)  ,rather than a normal short set of shrugs for example. A form of overload for distance (or time in your case).  Didn't say how many seconds it took for the 150/250 foot distance, but that is one of the key factors in this type training....TUT.

Even standing in place can produce results, with different lengths of duration. Applied to DL's, squats and mostly any thing else.. Though some men have locked out a heavy bar overhead. Usually taken from a PR or special set up chains set up just a few inches from that lockout position. Heavy bencher's will also do heavy lockouts on occasion.

Don't see to many using the Zercher squat style much any more, but a very all around strength builder. Another good upper back/trap/shoulder girdle builder. Can also affect the lats very well.  Will usually try to hit rock bottom every rep, which seems to affect the quads and normal squatting power very well.

Good Luck.
F

greg2112

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 12:27:19 PM »
Exactly JPM regarding the TUT.  Why I like the distance on both as I want to improve my upper back size.  Both working but of course sprinkling in other basic moves like snatch grip deadlifts/high pulls etc.  agree on the zercher squat that was what I ended within Wednesday.  Strict and full ROM zercher squats.  Upper back felt great yesterday. 

Rammstein

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 07:20:27 PM »
It all depends on how I feel.  Nothing crazy poundage wise.  I go usually 150 ft for heavier sets of zerchers with anywhere b/w 275+.  Did those fresh yesterday with 315 for 2 sets.  Sometimes I go 250 ft with 185-225 which is more brutal but fun. Farmer walks I rotate using my trap bar or handles.  Have gone up to 250 per handle for 150 ft. The street in front of my house is flat so that helps.  The distance I decide to do varies on energy levels.  You do carries?

I did Farmer's walks regularly for a while. Need to put them back in the mix. Haven't done Zercher carries yet but it sounds like a good idea.

You might like this series:

http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2011/04/how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love.html

http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2012/10/how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love_30.html

http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2012/10/how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love.html

http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2011/03/of-stones-and-strength-or-how-i-learned.html

greg2112

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 04:39:17 AM »
Great articles!  I used to read that blog.  He wrote some good stuff.  Good luck with the zercher carries and try to walk 200-300 feet.  That TUT is brutal but a good brutal.  For sure a natural T booster