Author Topic: Should the policemen have risked their lives to save drowning car thiefs?  (Read 15805 times)

Immortal_Technique

• Getbig IV
  • "It's all a bunch of shit, I say fuck it" - DF
Aside from the moral duty of care all members of society have towards one another, public servants have a professional duty of care towards all members of the public. So without doubt, from a legal standpoint, if they were able to save them, they should have.

Only the people who were actually there will ever know if it was reasonable or possible however.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
i risked my lime to save a big doorman who was going to jump off a bridge

he knocked the officer i was with out cold after we wrestled him off

when we took him to hospital he attacked us again

put in a complaint that we had stolen his wallet and looked at him in a racist way

would i do it again sure i would

you are paid to protect and that includes saving people from themselves

however

why would you now when everyone gives you shit 24/7

ive said this before the police are taking from society

when society is amoral the police reflects that

the whole world is going down the shitter

public and public servants alike
I bet the "Big" Doorman either beat you both up or you ran away and let your mate get a Beating. Tell the truth Ginger. Was a Good story though ::)
Probably why they kicked you out.

bigmc

• Getbig V
Correct....you should never talk to a cop.

you wouldnt dare
T

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!

Deep.  I suppose in the circles in which you jerk, people wait until they first speak with their barrister.

Yes, I am pro law enforcement.  Not all cops are "bad" but I would wager that the vast majority of those in jail did something wrong (i.e., against the law) to put themselves there.

Please think before you type, young man.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Nah, you just don't have the sack.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Deacon Jeschin

• Getbig IV
Nah, you just don't have the sack.

::)  That's your opinion......which isn't worth a hill of shit to me.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan

Need a tissue?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Jeffro

• Getbig IV
I'm not jumping into a dark, murky, gator-filled swamp for anyone except my fucking family.  Who gives a shit about three scumbags who were just going to be a drain on society their entire lives anyway.

bigmc

• Getbig V

do you need a hug munchkin
T

Purge_WTF

I'm not jumping into a dark, murky, gator-filled swamp for anyone except my fucking family.  Who gives a shit about three scumbags who were just going to be a drain on society their entire lives anyway.

I empathize with this, but I'm wondering why those cops aren't facing any penalties for lying about their response.

Twaddle

• Getbig V
I empathize with this, but I'm wondering why those cops aren't facing any penalties for lying about their response.

I think there was a second video that proved they didn't lie.  Two of the officers actually went into the water after the girls, but had to retreat for their own safety. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
I think there was a second video that proved they didn't lie.  Two of the officers actually went into the water after the girls, but had to retreat for their own safety. 

The second video is irrelevant to some. It doesn't fit their preconceived notion so they will ignore it.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
The second video is irrelevant to some. It doesn't fit their preconceived notion so they will ignore it.
You talk way too farking much. Rent-a-cop?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
You talk way too farking much. Rent-a-cop?

If you are addressing me, you need to either start or end your question with "Sir".

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!

But those police officers did.

markofan

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
this black commentator has a perspective you wouldn't expect.

and this follow up

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
It is their fucking job. Want a easy job? Dont be a cop.
A

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
Were they chocolate faces in the car?

Ashaunti? Gtr... cannot even copy a ghetto name correctly. Like spelling "I" wrong. O don't know wtf these people are thinking.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
It is their fucking job. Want a easy job? Dont be a cop.

I disagree. I think it's their duty to weigh the risks, and if there is a reasonable chance of success, then attempt it risking your life. Even if the risk is at the 50/50 point I think depending on the circumstances, it's their duty to risk it. Often times cops will take the risk with a lot worse odds. In this particular circumstance, I think it's been reported they did attempt to rescue them and it was unsuccessful. IN this circumstance, I don't think it was their job to die in vain

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
I disagree. I think it's their duty to weigh the risks, and if there is a reasonable chance of success, then attempt it risking your life. Even if the risk is at the 50/50 point I think depending on the circumstances, it's their duty to risk it. Often times cops will take the risk with a lot worse odds. In this particular circumstance, I think it's been reported they did attempt to rescue them and it was unsuccessful. IN this circumstance, I don't think it was their job to die in vain
No, their isn't risk management. Their job is saving lives.
A

Kahn.N.Singh

• Getbig IV
  • Die Weltgeschichte ist das Weltgericht
Should? If based solely on opinion: who cares?

Morally: no.
Ethically: no
Legally: no ("[Police do] not have a constitutional duty to protect a person from harm:" http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/justices-rule-police-do-not-have-a-constitutional-duty-to-protect-someone.html).

/thread

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
No, their isn't risk management. Their job is saving lives.

From a moralistic standpoint, you may have a point.

However, from a legal and contractual standpoint, I am not too sure this holds up. From what I have read (and I could be wrong), cops and/or fireman could refuse to enter a situation where death is imminent. And as the police commissioner said in the video, there is no policy surrounding underwater rescue missions. As such, if a cop believes that he will die during an underwater rescue, then he has a right to decline to attempt to save a life (as defined by the law and his contract). Now, does this make it the best moral choice? Well, that's a whole other discussion.
X

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
From a moralistic standpoint, you may have a point.

However, from a legal and contractual standpoint, I am not too sure this holds up. From what I have read (and I could be wrong), cops and/or fireman could refuse to enter a situation where death is imminent. And as the police commissioner said in the video, there is no policy surrounding underwater rescue missions. As such, if a cop believes that he will die during an underwater rescue, then he has a right to decline to attempt to save a life (as defined by the law and his contract). Now, does this make it the best moral choice? Well, that's a whole other discussion.

I'm a moral person. I believe I make a habit of treating people with respect and doing the right thing regardless of if someone is watching or not. I'm also a police officer who feels it is my job to protect citizens and put my life in harms way in order to do so. If for example,  a shooter or shooters were in a school randomly shooting people I would not hesitate to enter the building and head towards the shooting. I may get shot but I may not. If a house is burning and there is someone inside I would try and save them. I may get killed, I may not. However if the house is completely engulfed in flames and there is no chance of my surviving or saving them, I would not. If gang members were having a shootout over drugs in a warehouse, I would wait until the shooting stopped before entering. There are a thousand scenarios where I would risk my life to help someone, but there are quite a few where I would not. Someone who drives through a low water crossing during a flood and is not swept away down a raging river.. I'm not jumping in. 3 people steal a car, elude from me, put others at risk with their driving, then drive off into a pond at night... I would probably try but at the less than 50/50 chance of success would have no problem sleeping at night if I deemed it to high risk low reward to continue the attempt.     

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
Libtards want it all.  They laugh at the idea of Jesus of Nazareth's words on there being no greater gift than to lay down your life for a friend, but demand that law enforcement (whom they despise) give up their lives for trash. 

You can't have it both ways unless you're bisexual or bipolar.  Libtards are definitely the latter and think the former is just fine too.  There is no valid reason to lose your life for one already wasted.   Stupid liberals.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
I'm No Great Supporter of Most Cop's.
As Agnostic will tell you.

But No Why Would They Risk Their own Lives in a Situation where they
Were Highly Unlikely to be of any help - Possibly Lose Their own Lives.

That would just add to more uneccasary Death & Suffring To Families.

They made the right decision.