Author Topic: Military Press behind the neck  (Read 3856 times)

newdumbell303

• Getbig II
  • "get serious..."
Military Press behind the neck
« on: March 23, 2006, 10:32:15 AM »
seen so many people do it this way, I've always done it to the front, what is the advantage if any?

Brooks

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Military Press behind the neck
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 12:38:27 PM »
The reason I do them in front is my shoulders pop a lot when doing them behind the head. My shoulders also feel like they've had a better workout when doing the in front.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 12:53:39 PM »
Very harsh on the shoulders, do them to the front. Doing them to the back hits the lateral delts a little more. You can do the same thing by either doing 1/2 reps that avoid the bottom portion, or by using dumbbells which allow more freedom for the shoulder joints to rotate naturally.

Also, it would be better to do another delt exercise first, both to ensure adequate warmup and also to reduce the amount of weight that is used.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 01:05:05 PM »
it seems at my gym at least every man over 30 has done them for years, however they always say the wish they had not. very bad on shoulders as its an unnatural movement. just continue doing them to the front.

however if you are adamant about doing them only lower the bar to mid ear level.

newdumbell303

• Getbig II
  • "get serious..."
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 01:18:23 PM »
I'll stick to the front for sure then. I was just wonderin cuz the videos I saw today the pros were doin them all to the back and thought it might have an advantage to training to the front. Guess not

thanks guys

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 02:12:10 AM »
Behind neckpress,
use free barbell, always avoid the smithmachine or any kind of machine that makes you believe that your doing a behind the neck press.

The only way to do a proper press is freeweight, your body will adapt themself naturally.

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 10:16:30 AM »
Don't know if its true but I was told that behind the head shoulder press is a very good mass builder.  I only do them once or twice a month and vary with other exercises but I have no shoulder problems...if you do you really shouldn't do them.
Jennifer

Bast175

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 10:37:42 AM »
I think front barbell presses are safer.  I do them standing.  I have to use less weight than seated but they're more strict that way as long as you don't do them like clean and presses (using your legs).

HICKSON

• Getbig IV
  • Bunch of slack-jaw fagg0ts round here.
Giving 110%

kicker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 04:03:45 PM »
I prefer seated dumbbell presses over militaries or BNPs. 

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 04:34:15 PM »
I do standing military presses. I don't have the flexibility to press anything behind my neck.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 04:58:51 PM »
The PBN (press behind ncek) is a prime mass builder for the laterial head of the deltoids but influences the anterior portion to a lesser degree. The posterior delts are recuited as a stabling factor. Most BB'ers do not have sufficent flexability in the should girdle region (as say an Olympic lifter would) and may have trouble (injury) with this exercise at first. It would be a question of getting the shoulder area conditioned and the stiffness worked out with warm-ups (actual pressing a light, empty exercise bar behind the neck for 20 reps or so) and stretching ( one of the better shoulder stretches is just hanging from a chinning bar with differnt grip positions, as; wide, middle & close grips...think of gymnast and their shoulder flexability) in the area. When one is accustomed to the exercise than it can be very rewarding.

People tend to rush the weight on this one, so handle weight that is with-in your capacity at first. This exercise is a basic power movement, like the front press, and has been responsible for the development of muscle mass  on many trainee's, so respectable heavier weight should be used as strength is advanced. Another mistake may be that the bar is lowered too far down. Might try to just touch the top of the traps and than press back up. Holding the bar too wide can give undo stress on the joints. Might use a medium grip (forearms/arms forming a 90 degree angle on the bar if possible).  PBN's also have a favorable influence on increasing one's bench press. As with any overhead press (BB or DB) in will target the interlaced muscles around the ribs, triceps and back. Good Luck.

Side Bar: I and a few of my training Bud's, have done jerk presses from behind the neck with good results and respectable poundage. But not advisable to people who are new to the exercise, just an example here. The one arm side press, to my mind, is the closest a DB exercise can come to a BB PBN.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2006, 02:05:10 AM »
I always thought it was BNP.  Never seen it PBN

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2006, 02:38:03 PM »
use dumbells (especially arnold press) or parallelette hand stand push ups.  Both movements will allow for a fuller and safer ROM then BNP.

kicker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2006, 03:50:10 PM »
The PBN (press behind ncek) is a prime mass builder for the laterial head of the deltoids but influences the anterior portion to a lesser degree. The posterior delts are recuited as a stabling factor. Most BB'ers do not have sufficent flexability in the should girdle region (as say an Olympic lifter would) and may have trouble (injury) with this exercise at first. It would be a question of getting the shoulder area conditioned and the stiffness worked out with warm-ups (actual pressing a light, empty exercise bar behind the neck for 20 reps or so) and stretching ( one of the better shoulder stretches is just hanging from a chinning bar with differnt grip positions, as; wide, middle & close grips...think of gymnast and their shoulder flexability) in the area. When one is accustomed to the exercise than it can be very rewarding.

People tend to rush the weight on this one, so handle weight that is with-in your capacity at first. This exercise is a basic power movement, like the front press, and has been responsible for the development of muscle mass  on many trainee's, so respectable heavier weight should be used as strength is advanced. Another mistake may be that the bar is lowered too far down. Might try to just touch the top of the traps and than press back up. Holding the bar too wide can give undo stress on the joints. Might use a medium grip (forearms/arms forming a 90 degree angle on the bar if possible).  PBN's also have a favorable influence on increasing one's bench press. As with any overhead press (BB or DB) in will target the interlaced muscles around the ribs, triceps and back. Good Luck.

Side Bar: I and a few of my training Bud's, have done jerk presses from behind the neck with good results and respectable poundage. But not advisable to people who are new to the exercise, just an example here. The one arm side press, to my mind, is the closest a DB exercise can come to a BB PBN.

I have always found BNPs uncomfortable.  Am I shortchanging myself in doing seated dumbbell presses instead? 

Militaries, I found tended to recruit upper pectorals, especially when going heavier.  On rare occasions, I'll do militaries on a smith machine, but the seated dumbbell press as been my primary mass movement.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2006, 08:18:10 PM »
I think it all depends on the person.If I do Military presses to the front,it seems I have to arche my back too much,and it is very uncomfortable and I can't get a good shoulder workout.I have never noticed any trouble or pain doing them behind the neck.Another otion is to do them on a smith machine.I think the biggest danger to bnp is getting out of the correct line of motion,which of coarse is not possible on a smith machine

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2006, 05:18:38 AM »
I always thought it was BNP.  Never seen it PBN

Sounds like how it would be phrased in the military.
The House that Ruth built