Author Topic: Hebrew powerlifters  (Read 32177 times)

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
Re: Hebrew powerlifters
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2016, 09:56:39 AM »
Because if you were to tell someone that they had to choose a sport, but it had to be more niche with even less potential for fame and profit than bodybuilding, they would probably choose powerlifting. A lot of whites love to tell themselves that the lack of blacks in powerlifting is because it's so much harder than other sports, but America hasn't medalled in Olympic powerlifting in 30 years. America's most record breaking powerlifter is a black teen.

I have bad news for you Al, no other country has medalled in Olympic powerlifting in 30 years either.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2016, 09:59:13 AM »
I know some black powerlifters. As Wiggs said, there is no money in the sport. So, those people that do it, do it for the love of the sport. Not for money.
PS: everyone in that sport seems to have at least 1 or 2 major injuries (torn pec, torn tri, torn bi, knee injury)

The same could be said of BB though. Do you think people enter BB shows for the money? There is zero financial incentive in any of these things. It's all about personal accomplishment.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2016, 10:01:59 AM »
Why the fuck aren't you going to consider entering a PL meet if you happen to be exceptionally strong? ???
Even with zero exposure to PL, your peers would suggest it if they see you reguarly hoisting up heavy weights.
Most of the strongest BB's entered PL meets at one point.  

No offence but you aren't clued up on this topic. The fact you thought PL was an Olympic event kinda proves that.

No, it doesn't. As a matter of fact, the fact that I- a gym rat- would confuse pl with an Olympic event kinda proves the opposite.

Most of the strongest BBs who  enter PL meets do so AFTER gaining notoriety as bodybuilders and reputations for their strength. They don't enter PL meets because their friends see them lifting heavy. They enter bodybuilding contests because their friends see they have good bodybuilding genetics.  

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2016, 10:06:12 AM »
The same could be said of BB though. Do you think people enter BB shows for the money? There is zero financial incentive in any of these things. It's all about personal accomplishment.

I think that bodybuilding attracts people that have a lot of "vanity"... or insecurity...  or those people that like attention (a common trait in today's world)

Whereas powerlifting = injuries, no money, no attention

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2016, 10:08:26 AM »

Once again, it's a different scene. Just take the race factor out of it. More people are interested in looking like bodybuilders than being powerlifters. Guys want to be strong, but they want those results to be evident in their physiques. So, you've got a huge pool of guys and girls who want to look good and you have contests that sort of feed their ego. Powerlifting is just a completely different scene. People comment on bodybuilders when they are walking down the street in clothes. Not the same for powerlifters.  So money doesn't have to be the driving factor because there are rewards for ego. EVEN THEN, the potential for fame and for money SEEMS way greater in bodybuilding than it does for powerlifting. Instagram followers, magazines, tours, etc.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2016, 10:15:42 AM »
I have bad news for you Al, no other country has medalled in Olympic powerlifting in 30 years either.

:'(

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2016, 11:51:58 AM »
Because when they see a red light, they start running.

LMAO  :D

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2016, 12:33:18 PM »
No, it doesn't. As a matter of fact, the fact that I- a gym rat- would confuse pl with an Olympic event kinda proves the opposite.

Most of the strongest BBs who  enter PL meets do so AFTER gaining notoriety as bodybuilders and reputations for their strength. They don't enter PL meets because their friends see them lifting heavy. They enter bodybuilding contests because their friends see they have good bodybuilding genetics.  

If you are genetically blessed in terms of physique, you'll look at doing a BB show. If you excel at strength, you'll look at entering a PL meet. That's pretty much how I see it. If you are good at something, you work towards that.

I think that bodybuilding attracts people that have a lot of "vanity"... or insecurity...  or those people that like attention (a common trait in today's world)

Whereas powerlifting = injuries, no money, no attention

Once again, it's a different scene. Just take the race factor out of it. More people are interested in looking like bodybuilders than being powerlifters. Guys want to be strong, but they want those results to be evident in their physiques. So, you've got a huge pool of guys and girls who want to look good and you have contests that sort of feed their ego. Powerlifting is just a completely different scene. People comment on bodybuilders when they are walking down the street in clothes. Not the same for powerlifters.  So money doesn't have to be the driving factor because there are rewards for ego. EVEN THEN, the potential for fame and for money SEEMS way greater in bodybuilding than it does for powerlifting. Instagram followers, magazines, tours, etc.

I agree that most aspire to look like BB's but most care little for actual BB contests. It's not healthy, provides no real financial rewards and has only a niche following consisting of mostly schmoes and other competitors. There was an article just the other day regarding the lack of interest in BB shows.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=609082.0

Fitness and physique models like Lazar Angelov have more followers on social media than the pro's these days.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2016, 01:48:55 PM »
If you are genetically blessed in terms of physique, you'll look at doing a BB show. If you excel at strength, you'll look at entering a PL meet. That's pretty much how I see it. If you are good at something, you work towards that.

I agree that most aspire to look like BB's but most care little for actual BB contests. It's not healthy, provides no real financial rewards and has only a niche following consisting of mostly schmoes and other competitors. There was an article just the other day regarding the lack of interest in BB shows.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=609082.0

Fitness and physique models like Lazar Angelov have more followers on social media than the pro's these days.

??? These things don't really dispute my last post. Whether or not bodybuilding is a niche, pl is an even smaller niche. Like you admit , there are more people who aspire to look like a bodybuilder, so a fraction of those people compete. There are way fewer people who aspire to be powerlifters, so the fraction who compete is way smaller.

Are there any powerlifters  who have social media followings comparable to Kai or Phil? ( I honestly don't know.)

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2016, 02:12:24 PM »
There is no one ideal body structure that lends itself to lifting. Lanky types are good at deadlift and the reverse is true for squats.
"

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2016, 02:13:59 PM »

??? These things don't really dispute my last post. Whether or not bodybuilding is a niche, pl is an even smaller niche. Like you admit , there are more people who aspire to look like a bodybuilder, so a fraction of those people compete. There are way fewer people who aspire to be powerlifters, so the fraction who compete is way smaller.

Are there any powerlifters  who have social media followings comparable to Kai or Phil? ( I honestly don't know.)

The average person doesn't give a fuck about either. Strongman is probably more popular than both since it is televised globally and gets millions of viewers worldwide.  

Most top BB's and PL's didn't originally start training with the goal of actually competing in those fields, they only got into it once it became apparent that they had a talent for it.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2016, 02:26:18 PM »
The average person doesn't give a fuck about either. Strongman is probably more popular than both since it is televised globally and gets millions of viewers worldwide.  

Most top BB's and PL's didn't originally start training with the goal of actually competing in those fields, they only got into it once it became apparent that they had a talent for it.

... which only supports my argument that it comes down to exposure. The simple fact of the matter is that you are far more likely to find a group of bodybuilders at your average gym than a group of powerlifters.

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2016, 02:30:46 PM »
... which only supports my argument that it comes down to exposure. The simple fact of the matter is that you are far more likely to find a group of bodybuilders at your average gym than a group of powerlifters.

perhaps but exposure these days normally comes from the internet. kids dont walk into a gym before they log on to youtube, and youtube powerlifters have a pretty decent following

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2016, 02:32:41 PM »

Where about do you live? In all the UK gyms I've been to, I've met roughly a similar number of men who competed in PL and BB. It's usually quite rare though to meet actual competitors in either.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2016, 02:34:08 PM »
perhaps but exposure these days normally comes from the internet. kids dont walk into a gym before they log on to youtube, and youtube powerlifters have a pretty decent following

Who are the most popular powerlifters on social media?

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2016, 02:39:17 PM »
Where about do you live? In all the UK gyms I've been to, I've met roughly a similar number of men who competed in PL and BB. It's usually quite rare though to meet actual competitors in either.

New York City. 3 of my last 5 gyms (including my current) had pros training there. I have some buddies who are amateur competitors. I was a member of a gym a few years back when Juan Morel, Akim Williams and Armando Pena worked out there. All strong guys, Akim especially.  Probably would do decently in powerlifting, but he got into bodybuilding because someone in the bodybuilding industry told him he had potential. That particular gym was a serious bodybuilding gym- no powerlifters that I can recall, but a lot of strong guys. Boxers, physique competitors, models, runners.

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2016, 02:44:07 PM »
There is lots of money in soccer but no black dominance. The two best players in the world are white/latino. Same goes for cycling- big money but very few blacks.

NN

team france

"

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2016, 02:46:32 PM »
There is lots of money in soccer but no black dominance. The two best players in the world are white/latino. Same goes for cycling- big money but very few blacks.

NN

::)
"

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2016, 02:47:55 PM »

New York City. 3 of my last 5 gyms (including my current) had pros training there. I have some buddies who are amateur competitors. I was a member of a gym a few years back when Juan Morel, Akim Williams and Armando Pena worked out there. All strong guys, Akim especially.  Probably would do decently in powerlifting, but he got into bodybuilding because someone in the bodybuilding industry told him he had potential. That particular gym was a serious bodybuilding gym- no powerlifters that I can recall, but a lot of strong guys. Boxers, physique competitors, models, runners.

That's cool. I know Akim is strong as fuck and probably could make a switch to PL. He'd actually be better suited for it than he is for BB imo.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2016, 03:31:55 PM »
I think a lot of this has to do with where you are in the states. I'm in Texas and a lot of the local high schools have powerlifting teams.  They compete in single ply but the meets are full of kids. Gene Bell has been mentioned a few times....Gene did both BB and powerlifting. His son is a world record holder as well. I see him almost daily in our gym training somebody. A few of the current federations are now awarding cash to winners...smaller feds but I think this past weekend the one my buddies were in gave a grand to the winner, 500 to 2nd place and then 250 or something to the best squat, bench and deadlift. There may well be teams of bro's curling and doing whatever the fuck at golds or whatever but in the gyms down here, there are plenty of people training for meets. Strongman has also exploded as a result of the crossfit craze.
L

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2016, 03:42:07 PM »

2015 Arnold Sports Festival Payouts
StartingStrength.com Pro Raw Challenge   
Women – Wilks Score
1st   $1,000
2nd   $500
3rd   $250
Men’s Lt Wt Wilks Score
1st   $1,000
2nd   $500
3rd   $250
Men’s Hvy Wt Wilks Score
1st   $1,000
2nd   $500
3rd   $250
Master Wilks
1st   $500
2nd   $250
Junior Wilks
1st   $500
2nd   $250
BetaTOR/PEAK ATP Pro Deadlift by TSI and MTI   
Women – Wilks Deadlift
$1,000
Women – Heaviest Deadlifts
1st   $1,000
2nd   $700
3rd   $500
4th   $300
Men – Wilks Deadlift
1st   $1,000
2nd   $500
3rd   $200
Men – Heaviest Deadlifts
1st   $1,000
2nd   $700
3rd   $600
4th   $500
5th   $400
6th   $300
7th   $200
ROGUE Pro American   
Women – Wilks Score
1st   $1,000
2nd   $500
3rd   $200
Men’s Lt Wt Wilks
1st   $1,000
2nd   $500
3rd   $200
Men’s Hvy Wt Wilks
1st   $1,000
2nd   $500
3rd   $200
Master Wilks
1st   $500
Junior Wilks
1st   $500
2nd   $250
Titan Pro Bench Bash   
Women – Wilks
1st   $1,000
2nd   $500
Men’s Lt Wt Wilks
1st   $1,000
2nd   $500
3rd   $200
Men’s Hvy Wt Wilks Score
1st   $1,000
2nd   $500
3rd   $200
SSP NUTRITION PRO RAW BENCH   
Best Wilks Score -93kg
1st   $1,000
2nd   $750
3rd   $500
Best Wilks Score 93+
1st   $1,000
2nd   $750
3rd   $500
NEXTLIFTER Ohio Classic   
Best Male Lifter – Wilks Score
$500
Best Female Lifter – Wilks Score
$500

:-\
"

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2016, 03:46:15 PM »

Those gyms are like Golds gym Venice. They produce good guys, great physiques, but no Olympia winners. It seems that many of the O winners come from obscure gyms. And the most dominate of modern O winners came from the South and and England. And all three had in common was a great work ethic.
Akim has some serious potential, but his back detail and thickness doesn't match his front, which shows a lack of priority/or work ethic. And he has that "thick skin" look that is hard to dry out---John Sherman, Edgar Fletcher, Vic Richards, Brandon Curry, and Beyeke all have or had that problem. Akim is strong as an ox, but if he got into shape, he'd do pretty well. Maybe a real dark horse in the future.
Juan Morel seems to be not interested in putting in the work. Maybe too pretty for it?

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2016, 05:48:19 PM »
Two reasons:

1. Powerlifting requires intense training, rather than bodybuilding-style "working out". Brews are not terribly interested in gut-busting work.

2. Chocolate faces have never, in general, been able to compete successfully with whites in pure strength sports.

That's not the reason at all. It's about genetics clearly.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2016, 08:01:24 PM »

I say again. There is no sport called Olympic powerlifting.

NordicNerd

• Getbig III
« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2016, 11:00:16 PM »
::)

I never said blacks were not good players, just that there is none of the domination you see in the NFL/NBL